Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-24-2013   #1
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 31690 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected
Default What is the rebuilding path?

I am going to assume the Texans need to rebuild. Further, I am going to assume they make some changes in the coaching and maybe the front office before next season. Given that, how should the Texans rebuild this time?

Option 1:

Do it "the right way". Get about 6 wins next year, go 8-8 for a couple of non-losing seasons, reach the winning goal of 9-7, and then in year five win 11 or 12 games and make the play-offs.

Option 2:

Take the approach to try and turn it around next year and make some noise in the play-offs the year after that. This approach risks...well, I'm not sure it risks anything. I was never clear on that.

I'll go on the record for option 2. I'd like to see them improve quickly.

Old 11-24-2013   #2
CretorFrigg
Fire Rick Smith

Rep Power: 33323 CretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: What is the rebuilding path?

McNair bought into Kubiak's BS that it takes 5+ years to rebuild, which is clearly false. Look at the Chiefs.

Last edited by CretorFrigg; 11-25-2013 at 12:28 AM.
CretorFrigg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013   #3
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11524 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

we need to rebuild in 2014 and get rdy for the SB in 2015 n Houston that should be our goal to make the SB that year and rebuilding next year will help us

We need to do a clean reset Fire everybody from the GM and front office down to the towel boy

Bring in a new regime in here

obvs they will overall the entire roster ...Bassically trimming the fat and get the CAP in the best situation its ever been in so in 2015 we can splurge in Free agents

and obvs our goal in 2014 will be to make the playoffs just to get EXP
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013   #4
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 29405 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CretorFrigg View Post
McNair bought into Kubiak's BS that it takes 5+ years to rebuild, which is clearly false. Look at the Chief.
Yep. A lot of Texans fans bought into it as well. It's almost like living in a time warp: other teams are doing total re-builds in 3-4 years, and we trudge along in year 8 - still waiting.

The other problem is the Steelers. McNair really wants a franchise that stable. But, the Steelers having 3 coaches in 40 years is extremely rare and they have done it by hiring solid people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
houstonspartan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013   #5
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11524 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

Yeah bob wants so bad for us to model after the steelers and the packers to be consistent year n and year out but there is one problem the steelers don't go

2-14 or 6-10

and there lowest lately has been like 7-9 or 8-8
Old 11-24-2013   #6
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23265 dream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CretorFrigg View Post
McNair bought into Kubiak's BS that it takes 5+ years to rebuild, which is clearly false. Look at the Chief.
I think the Chiefs are pretenders. They are a lot better than last year, but are still missing some pieces to be taken seriously as an annual contender.
dream_team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013   #7
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23265 dream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post
Yeah bob wants so bad for us to model after the steelers and the packers to be consistent year n and year out but there is one problem the steelers don't go

2-14 or 6-10

At least he has a good vision.
dream_team is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-24-2013   #8
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 29405 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

2-14 or 6-10

Correct. Whenever the Steelers slip, Mike Tomlin sticks his foot up players butts, threatening jobs and reminding them about "what it means to be a Steeler."

That franchise has high standards and everyone there knows it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
houstonspartan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013   #9
acal21
Rookie

Rep Power: 1938 acal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respected

There is no reason to rebuild. Fire coach Kubiak, get healthy, and compete for a super bowl

I was one to believe in Kubiak... it does take time to rebuild but now he is showing me that he can't get it done as a coach
acal21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013   #10
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 284137 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

It's a QB league.

We need one.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013   #11
srrono
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21340 srrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respected

Fire all coaching staff

JJ going into last year of deal need to lock him in a new contract
J.J. Watt 2014/15 3,575,540

cut or restructured
Johnathan Joseph 2014/15 11,250,000 2015/16 12,250,000
Owen Daniels 2014/15 6,250,000

Cut
Danieal Manning 2014/15 6,000,000
Matt Schaub 2014/15 14,500,000 2015/16 17,000,000
2016/17 19,000,000
Derek Newton 2014/15 660,064

FA
Antonio Smith is FA let go unless resign on the cheap
Wade Smith FA let go
Joe Mays FA ?
Greg Jones FA let go
Ben Tate FA let go
Earl Mitchell FA resign after test of market
Darryl Sharpton FA let go
Garrett Graham FA resign
Ryan Harris FA
Lestar Jean RFA
Bryan Braman RFA
Terrell McClain RFA
Elbert Mack UFA
Ricky Sapp ERFA
Deji Karim FA
Jeff Tarpinian FA
Josh Victorian ERFA
srrono is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013   #12
MEGA SWATT
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 20085 MEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream_team View Post
I think the Chiefs are pretenders. They are a lot better than last year, but are still missing some pieces to be taken seriously as an annual contender.
I keep hearing that, but they have Andy Reid. They're definitely what their record says they are.

I want the Texans to get back to being relevant and take the next step towards beating the top teams in the league rather than another decade of crap.
Old 11-24-2013   #13
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84495 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
I am going to assume the Texans need to rebuild. Further, I am going to assume they make some changes in the coaching and maybe the front office before next season. Given that, how should the Texans rebuild this time?

Option 1:

Do it "the right way". Get about 6 wins next year, go 8-8 for a couple of non-losing seasons, reach the winning goal of 9-7, and then in year five win 11 or 12 games and make the play-offs.

Option 2:

Take the approach to try and turn it around next year and make some noise in the play-offs the year after that. This approach risks...well, I'm not sure it risks anything. I was never clear on that.

Depends on what you think of Keenum.

I would personaly clean house and do what previous regimes haven't done. Build the foundation OL/DL?ILB in this draft and if Keenum isn't the guy draft a QB in 2015.

BTW, This is an above avg draft at OL/DT/OLB.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013   #14
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 103631 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post

Option 1:

Option 2:

this is extremely disingenuous. we werent any other franchise, we were an expansion team. our best players were retiring jacksonville and jets castoffs and andre johnson. starting from square one, yeah it takes a few years. in 4 seasons we replaced all but 1 player. a new coaching staff wont have to go through that because of the slow motion process you and some others are griping about. andre, duane brown, brandon brooks, deandre hopkins, arian foster, tightends, jj watt, mercilus, cushing, kareem, joseph, manning, and swearinger. legit starters that our next coach will walk into, all but 2 being home grown. a new coach being able to use that talent and provide inspiration will be the reason behind any quick turnaround, not some magical "win now" approach.
Old 11-25-2013   #15
Norg
Hall of Fame

look at the teams who have won SB's the last few years for one only like a handful of QB these past few years have been winning SB's..... and the rest have just been watchin or getting beat in the SB

that's why I was so shocked when flacco won one because that's a new nam not named Brady manning big ben Rodgers and brees and all of those teams are obvs stable

so the bottom line is u gotta get a QB and that QB has to be A superstar ..then u build around him

Steelers Drafted big ben and have been stable

Pats drafted Brady Colts drafted Manning GB and Saints etc etc

its a roll of the dice IMO
Old 11-25-2013   #16
Norg
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
this is extremely disingenuous. we werent any other franchise, we were an expansion team. our best players were retiring jacksonville and jets castoffs and andre johnson. starting from square one, yeah it takes a few years. in 4 seasons we replaced all but 1 player. a new coaching staff wont have to go through that because of the slow motion process you and some others are griping about. andre, duane brown, brandon brooks, deandre hopkins, arian foster, tightends, jj watt, mercilus, cushing, kareem, joseph, manning, and swearinger. legit starters that our next coach will walk into, all but 2 being home grown. a new coach being able to use that talent and provide inspiration will be the reason behind any quick turnaround, not some magical "win now" approach.
nahh Rick smith and killed this team we have some good players yeah all teams do but we also have aging stars who u think are good but really aren't our core has failed Us and we need a new core

Wade smith,Chirs myers,RG,RT Schaub,yates,keenum, Foster ,FB,Andre ,Kevinwalter, Jocboy jones, have all failed

ST FAILED

don't even get me started on the DEF there is a lonnnngggg list

that's like 88% of the team that failed we need to rebuild
Old 11-25-2013   #17
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84495 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
It's a QB league.

We need one.
Agreed,

Are you willin to wait until 2015 to get a great QB? Or are you wanting to reach an get the next Sam Bradford?
Old 11-25-2013   #18
Norg
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Agreed,

Are you willin to wait until 2015 to get a great QB? Or are you wanting to reach an get the next Sam Bradford?

I willing to wait no doubt lets build the Tenches intill we find our guy I say if hes not there next year

look every new regime there first year the get a PASS to do whatever
Old 11-25-2013   #19
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
2-9

After 8 yrs?
Old 11-25-2013   #20
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I willing to wait no doubt lets build the Tenches intill we find our guy I say if hes not there next year

look every new regime there first year the get a PASS to do whatever
I think I agree with you?

But I did drink at the game today?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read