Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-18-2013   #41
TexanBacker93
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17176 TexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Firing an NFL coach in midseason - it's likely to happen in 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txn_in_Oki View Post
As much as I would like him as a coach I don't think Cowher is a reality. Didn't Joe Gibbs come back after a long time out and it was a complete disaster. At some point the game passes you by, especially if you aren't dealing with it day in and day out.
It's funny how for some the game passes them by while they are "retired" and doing other things. Even broadcasting.

We have a situation here where the game has passed our current staff by and they've been coaching the whole time. How bad are they really? Imagine if Kubiak took a couple of years off? Crazy.
Old 11-18-2013   #42
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1312 281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected

Am I the only one that keeps constantly refreshing the page hoping to see a "Kubiak fired" thread?

-Ben Franklin
281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013   #43
BigBull
Veteran

Rep Power: 8544 BigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 281 View Post
Am I the only one that keeps constantly refreshing the page hoping to see a "Kubiak fired" thread?
You're not the only one. I keep doing it also.

Sent from the future...
BigBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013   #44
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 116586 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

DX-TEX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013   #45
Tolar's Ghost
Veteran

Rep Power: 2050 Tolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txn_in_Oki View Post
As much as I would like him as a coach I don't think Cowher is a reality. Didn't Joe Gibbs come back after a long time out and it was a complete disaster...
I don't think Cowher would come here. But not because the game has passed him by. Far from it. I think he simply likes living in New York. And I can't see his semi-rock-star girlfriend moving here.

Not sure about Gibbs' timeline, but Dick Vermeil came back after 16 years away and coached the Rams to a Super Bowl title (over the Titans)...
Tolar's Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013   #46
Grams 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 25097 Grams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-TEX View Post
Their accountability lacks a little consistency.
Old 11-18-2013   #47
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 128746 Dread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post
Thank you! You said it before I could. Rep forthcoming.
"Why attack a man for his race or religion when there are so many other PERFECTLY good reasons?" :Dreademiah 2:16 Dread-Head. Texan from DAY ONE & PROUD Honorary Blue Crew member..."Damn it Bill!"
Dread-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013   #48
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 116586 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

DX-TEX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013   #49
texanhead08
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13708 texanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respected

Cowher is going to probably want full control to come out of retirement. I don't like that idea because he has never made personnel decisions before.

Gary Kubiak
December 4,2011
texanhead08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013   #50
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 317168 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

I want Kubiak & Co. gone, but not in a way that tarnishes the franchise.

Two things I have never cared for in that regard: Firing a head coach after a playoff season, and firing a head coach during the middle of a season.

Cases can probably be made for both (like Dungy bing fired from Tampa), but, I'd say more often than not, it is a classless move by an owner. JMO
Old 11-18-2013   #51
speedfreek
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 32864 speedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respected

Fire Gary today. Make Wade the interim, and let Dennison try
some of those supposedly "crazy ideas" he has with the offense.

Who knows, maybe they are "crazy" with Schaub, but not with
Keenum or Yates..

TJ
speedfreek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013   #52
Tolar's Ghost
Veteran

Rep Power: 2050 Tolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanhead08 View Post
Cowher is going to probably want full control to come out of retirement. I don't like that idea because he has never made personnel decisions before.
The first part is probably correct. The second part - that "he has never made personnel decisions before" - couldn't be more inaccurate.

He worked closely with the Colbert, and Donahoe before that, on draft day. It's well-documented that on some picks in which they were divided, he won out. Some worked out well, others didn't.

Second, any time a player was cut, added, promoted from the practice squad, etc., of course he was involved.

But all the Cowher talk is wishful thinking. It's unlikely he's coming here.
Old 11-24-2013   #53
Tolar's Ghost
Veteran

My apology if this has already been posted:

McClain tweeted "he wouldn't be surprised" if Kubiak is fired tomorrow.

Of course, that's not the nearly the same as saying Kubiak will be fired tomorrow. But I have a feeling that that scoop is coming.

It would be the first midseason firing since 2011.
Old 11-24-2013   #54
hradhak
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 7351 hradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolar's Ghost View Post
My apology if this has already been posted:

McClain tweeted "he wouldn't be surprised" if Kubiak is fired tomorrow.

Of course, that's not the nearly the same as saying Kubiak will be fired tomorrow. But I have a feeling that that scoop is coming.

It would be the first midseason firing since 2011.
I'm not sure what that really accomplishes. I think Kubiak knows he is a dead man walking, but that doesn't seem like a good way to manage an organization.

McClain gets more things wrong than he does right. I hope that he's wrong on this one.
hradhak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013   #55
toronto
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 79638 toronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respected

Cowher is done coaching. He has discovered he doesn't need 100hr weeks and the grind...versus what he's found at CBS - which pays him handsomely as well.

There is no job in pro football that will bring him back, getting that ring was all he needed to be at peace with his decision.

Follow me @blakegk on twitter...the entertainment never stops...
toronto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013   #56
Fred
All Pro

Rep Power: 31037 Fred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfreek View Post
Fire Gary today. Make Wade the interim, and let Dennison try
some of those supposedly "crazy ideas" he has with the offense.

Who knows, maybe they are "crazy" with Schaub, but not with
Keenum or Yates..

TJ
This is exactly the problem with firing a coach mid-season. You can't get your real coach for next year yet.

So you name a coordinator who you already know is not a good long term answer as interim (Wade, or Romeo Crennel). Team wins 4 of 5 games in December and then the pressure is crazy high that "you gotta make Wade / Romeo the permanent coach!" Then you are sunk for two more years before you can get a real head coach you want.

Better to let Gary ride down with the ship and take the rest of the staff with him.
Old 11-24-2013   #57
Tolar's Ghost
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by toronto View Post
Cowher is done coaching...
I think his wife's diagnosis of cancer had a lot to do with why he left the Steelers when he did.

Now that he's been away for several years, I see him coaching again (but most likely only the Giants or Jets).

I did think it was interesting on today's CBS show when the subject turned to Jones/Garrett/Cowboys. He seemed to pick his words very carefully when talking about Jones. He was more restrained than usual.

It makes me wonder if he would be interested in the Cowboys job.
Old 11-24-2013   #58
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 182216 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think his wife's diagnosis of cancer had a lot to do with why he left the Steelers when he did.

Now that he's been away for several years, I see him coaching again (but most likely only the Giants or Jets).

I did think it was interesting on today's CBS show when the subject turned to Jones/Garrett/Cowboys. He seemed to pick his words very carefully when talking about Jones. He was more restrained than usual.

I thought the interim coach for Denver might be a good choice .
Old 11-24-2013   #59
toronto
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 79638 toronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

That plus he missed his kids a ton. He's on record saying how happy he was being around for their important milestones...

Follow me @blakegk on twitter...the entertainment never stops...
toronto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013   #60
Tolar's Ghost
Veteran

Well, kids are grown, and two of the three are married. And I don't believe any of them live in NY. In fact, one is in London and one is in California.

So maybe McNair could entice him to come here. As a major Steeler fan, I'd love to see him clean up the Texans' mess.

The fans here deserve much better than what they're getting...

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read