Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-23-2013   #1
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 75191 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Wall-Eyed Man Boobs and Firing Wade Phillips

Quote:
The discussion about the future of Houston Texans coaches has become the topic throughout Houston in the middle of this eight game losing streak. Answers are being looked for on what exactly has gone wrong with the season. With some questionable decisions on personnel, these decisions have effected the makeup of this team.

One area that seems to get a free pass at times is the defense and defensive coordinator Wade Phillips. Looking at the big picture of what Phillips has brought to the Texans started in 2011 with a top-notch defense that played at a high level. That defense had the likes of Mario Williams, DeMeco Ryans, Brian Cushing, Antonio Smith, Connor Barwin, newly signed Johnathan Joseph and Danieal Manning and a rookie named J.J. Watt. Phillips walked into a gold mine of talent in Houston that produced some great games filled with turnovers and a unit that got to the quarterback with ease.

This is not about numbers, this is about the eye test and which players have been on the field prior to the Phillips Era in Houston. The talent level is a concern and it is pretty evident lately in Houston.

As talent left, the Texans and the team opted to fill it through the draft. That is where the good times stopped for the Texans on finding defensive players.
As we all know, Phillips is not the answer on the D side of the ball or as HC. This is a good article on his failures as Texans DC and why they are where they are. The pic just seems to solidify the connection from Capers to Kubiak/Phillips. Lost and confused.

LINK
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013   #2
Bulls on Parade
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14302 Bulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Wall-Eyed Man Boobs and Firing Wade Phillips

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
That defense had the likes of Mario Williams, DeMeco Ryans, Brian Cushing, Antonio Smith, Connor Barwin, newly signed Johnathan Joseph and Danieal Manning and a rookie named J.J. Watt. Phillips walked into a gold mine of talent in Houston that produced some great games filled with turnovers and a unit that got to the quarterback with ease.
It would seem to me that we have to start drafting some better defensive players in the upcoming draft. We completely dropped the ball in the last draft by selecting guys like Sam Montgomery and Trevardo Williams. I want to hold somebody accountable for those mistakes whether it's Rick Smith or even Wade Phillips, as I'm sure he had some input on drafting those players.

It's not rocket science to suggest our talent level on defense has gotten much worse in recent off-seasons. Add to that, we've seen a huge decline in the overall game of Johnathan Joseph and Danieal Manning, who is now injury prone late in his career. The bottom line is we need more young talent on the defensive line, inside linebacker and in the secondary.

I kind of hope we move to a 4-3 defense in 2014, as I feel that's the quickest way for us to improve defensively. We currently don't have the personnel to run a successful 3-4 defense. I'm tired of seeing Houston drafting guys we believe can fit our system even if we reach on them. We need to always draft the best player available and then worry about fitting them in once they're on the team.
Old 11-24-2013   #3
Grams 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 23727 Grams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respected

Wade has always made a difference on defense the first year or two when he takes over a defense. After that they always seem to go back to just a little better than average. Could be he is better with players already on a team than evaluating talent of college kids.

At least a little better than average is a whole lot better that what we had before he got here.

But it is time to move on. We need a clean sweep of all the coaches and GM and make the scouting staff also.
Old 11-24-2013   #4
Lucky

Rep Power: 136980 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grams View Post

But it is time to move on. We need a clean sweep of all the coaches and GM and make the scouting staff also.
Wade identified Watt and took a lot of heat from fans for passing on Nick Fairley. But you're right. Time for a fresh start with a new regime.
Old 11-24-2013   #5
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Section: 135J 5-8
Rep Power: 24544 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand

Quote:
Wade has always made a difference on defense the first year or two when he takes over a defense. After that they always seem to go back to just a little better than average. Could be he is better with players already on a team than evaluating talent of college kids.

At least a little better than average is a whole lot better that what we had before he got here.

it's always been an interesting debate on this aspect.. why can't he consistently field a good defense?

In response to the new Vance Joseph Hiring:
silvrhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013   #6
IlliniJen
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 151691 IlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respected

I've thought that Wade is a little in over his head in today's NFL and looks a bit lost. Reed's comment about being surprised by the lack of sophistication of the defense was pretty damning. Say what you will about Reed, I tend to believe him on this one given his track record and where he came from.

Wade needs to go, along with everyone else. I don't think a new HC comes in without the ability to build his whole staff. He doesn't need a defensive fossil hanging around.

"Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I get to kill something." - Ron Swanson
IlliniJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013   #7
amazing80
Site Contributor

Section: my couch
Rep Power: 42920 amazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respected

new head coach

Old 11-24-2013   #8
kingtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33993 kingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Phillips will have a great legacy, but I think the game has caught up with his schemes.
kingtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013   #9
Lucky

Rep Power: 136980 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazing80 View Post
new head coach

Ray Horton has certainly earned a chance to be a NFL head coach and should get multiple interviews this offseason. He's a LeBeau disciple and has won multiple rings as a player and coach. I'm still surprised the Cards passed on him for Bruce Arians.
Old 11-24-2013   #10
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 43308 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniJen View Post
I've thought that Wade is a little in over his head in today's NFL and looks a bit lost. Reed's comment about being surprised by the lack of sophistication of the defense was pretty damning. Say what you will about Reed, I tend to believe him on this one given his track record and where he came from.

Wade needs to go, along with everyone else. I don't think a new HC comes in without the ability to build his whole staff. He doesn't need a defensive fossil hanging around.
While I don't support the idea of Wade as our next HC if they can Kubiak, I hardly think that 83-65/56 % is indicative of a HC who's been in over his head and as a defensive coach he's always rated among the top echelon of 3-4 coordinators.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013   #11
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 44942 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

oh hell no! Ryans, Barwin, Williams, Quin were all not re-signed or traded due to their cap numbers. Wade had nothing to do with these guys not coming back.

Smith is turrible at managing the cap. For that alone he should be fired.

How much did Rick Smith spend on getting this article written?

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013   #12
burro
almost sentient

Section: on the couch, praying for a broadcast
Rep Power: 5046 burro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respected

Cut to Jabroni Jones looking like a real NFL WR in Baltimore.

Eff you media. It's a conspiracy I tell ya..
Old 11-24-2013   #13
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 94174 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by burro View Post
Cut to Jabroni Jones looking like a real NFL WR in Baltimore.

Eff you media. It's a conspiracy I tell ya..
Jacoby has has looked like the same inconsistent wr he always was here. His numbers are horrible.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013   #14
bigmck
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 bigmck bigmck bigmck bigmck bigmck bigmck bigmck bigmck bigmck bigmck bigmck

Quote:

This ^^^^
bigmck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013   #15
amazing80
Site Contributor

Section: my couch
Rep Power: 42920 amazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
i dont trust any head coach with braids or cornrows.

sorry. i just cant do it.
first off, thats racist as ****

2nd, he cut them off
Old 11-24-2013   #16
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81923 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm done with Wade. His system works in the front-seven because it's simple. It doesn't work in the secondary because.....it's simple. Playing man coverage across a formation gets you killed against any competent QB. As has been shown time after time.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013   #17
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 247537 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
I'm done with Wade. His system works in the front-seven because it's simple. It doesn't work in the secondary because.....it's simple. Playing man coverage across a formation gets you killed against any competent QB. As has been shown time after time.
The game passes everyone by eventually. Simple might have gotten it done back in the day but offenses will pick that crap apart all day long now once they see who Wade has doing what.

When Wade comes in and takes over a defense it's usually following a coaching change (obviously) and coaching changes are brought on by poor performance on the field. Wade looks at everything he has to work with and puts those players in the best possible position to succeed by keeping it simple and letting them do what they do best. That's a real talent he has there and it shouldn't be just dismissed by us...... "but"

Eventually everyone works out what he's got these guys doing and things start to kind of fall apart as OC's everywhere figure out where the cracks are and exploit them.

It's time for Wade to retire. It really is. We got him in the twilight of his career and at a point when the game was changing and not in a way that would help him at all.
Old 11-24-2013   #18
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 75191 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazing80 View Post
first off, thats racist as ****

2nd, he cut them off
Really? Only black guys can have corn rows or braids? I did not know that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
im not, but that's just how i feel. i wouldn't want my doctor, president (voted for obama btw), lawyer or anybody who makes important life altering decisions to have braids/cornrows.

Would you? Id feel the same if somebody had pink hair or a mullet.

If he's cut them then cool. Anybody but kubiak.
For some reason, I got a mental image of Kubiak with corn rows. That's funny shat right there.
Too bad maObama didn't have corn rows when he ran for the presidency. Maybe more racists like you wouldn't have voted for him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
I'm not sure if the system is the issue in the backfield or the coaching/talent is. How can the coaches consistently let the DB's play man and give a 10+ yard cushion? No attempts at jamming the WR's off the LOS or disguising coverages. Remember when JJo and DMan 1st got here and talked about disguising coverages and how brand new that was to the Texans?

I'm absolutely disgusted about nearly everything Texans at this point. The only highlight is it looks like we'll be spending a high draft pick on a QB instead of DL for a change.

Horton wouldn't bother me a bit as HC if we can't lure Cowher out of retirement.

Has anyone checked to see if Reliant Stadium/Astrodome is built on an ancient Indian burial ground? The football gods hate us for some reason. Even Tampa, New Orleans and Seattle have made it to the Super Bowl. The Oilers had t move and change names before they made it.
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013   #19
Tolar's Ghost
Veteran

Rep Power: 2050 Tolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respected

Horton's defense didn't look so good against his former team (Steelers) on Sunday.

Keith Butler, the Steelers' LB coach and the heir apparent to LeBeau, would be just as good a choice for the Texans.
Tolar's Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013   #20
handswarmer
All Pro

Rep Power: 16431 handswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
Jacoby has has looked like the same inconsistent wr he always was here. His numbers are horrible.
his numbers in this inconsistent offense are actually pretty darn good. The offensive line has really sucked this year- Flacco has no time, we can't run either.

JJ has been an impact when he has been on the field- he missed a bunch of games after the injury in the opener.

His returns constantly put the ravens in good field position yesterday- they just couldn't capitalize.
handswarmer is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read