Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Closed Thread

Old 11-23-2013   #841
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Manziel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Yeah...I just watched some manziel stuff and I'll pass. I'd rather have keenum. Need to watch these other qb's but right now bridgewater IMO, is clearly a better player than manziel.

There are a few things that I don't like about his game. He's going to make plays for sure. But I think he needs some major work to be a consistently good qb in the nfl.
I wouldn't give up my day job.
Old 11-23-2013   #842
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
I wouldn't give up my day job.
I'll trust my evals over yours, thanks though.
Old 11-23-2013   #843
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 49238 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Manziel played his worst game of his college career and in all likelihood closed the door on winning his 2nd Heisman.
Old 11-23-2013   #844
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78947 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
Manziel played his worst game of his college career and in all likelihood closed the door on winning his 2nd Heisman.
Aggies can kiss that Heisman goodbye. That's gone.

It's pretty much between Winston and McCarron at this point. If Winston is cleared in all that mess he will get it. If not, McCarron will get it as a career achievement award if Bama wins out.

Mariotta ended his chances today as well. Petty might be able to make a case against OSU.

- The Immortal Bo
Old 11-23-2013   #845
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 104085 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected

That was ****ing awful all the way around.
Old 11-23-2013   #846
Fred
All Pro

Rep Power: 28283 Fred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If Johnny Manziel could perform on Reliant Stadium field on Sundays the way he performs on Kyle Field on Saturdays there is no doubt most fans would be all in. The only reason he wouldn't or couldn't would be poor coaching. If it came down to a game winning drive, what college QB hands would you want the football?

How sure am I? I will go out on this limb; Let the games at LSU and Missouri be the judge. He will not disappoint.
We already lots of QBs who can't score in the 2nd half at Reliant. I guess the Aggie coaching was much worse today than it has been.

Less than 40% completions, less than 5.5 yards per attempt, twice as many INTs as TDs. Meh, I was disappointed.
Old 11-23-2013   #847
bhsman
All Pro

Rep Power: 13423 bhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respected

FWIW, I was an LSU fan in the student section and I kept counting dropped passes from Manziel's receivers. The crowd noise can't be thrown out, either; several times I saw Evans or other receivers looking confused about the play and Manziel would fire off a pass to nobody in particular on the ensuing play.
Old 11-23-2013   #848
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69328 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'll trust my evals over yours, thanks though.
Your evals don't suck, I have the same opinion. "Johnny football" (and that nickname is getting so annoying. Maybe it was that ridiculous music video they made, or the fact that a grown man calls himself "johnny" idk) is not a NFL QB. Great college player no doubt, but his game does not translate to the NFL. His arm is weak, he throws off balance way too much to consistently put the mustard that he needs to on the ball at the next level (and it's not like he had a whole lot of mustard to begin with). He plays too reckless and is way too reckless when running the ball, (he will be on I.R. in no time.) and he abandons the pocket prematurely too much.

Basically the same things that make him so exciting to watch on a college football field are the same things that will cause him failure and bring him a LOT of problems at the next level. He won't be able to just run around on Sundays like he does on Saturdays, so whoever drafts him is basically going to have to re-teach him how to play QB all over again and they will have the difficult task of trying to break him of a lot of bad habits.
Old 11-23-2013   #849
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
Your evals don't suck, I have the same opinion. "Johnny football" (and that nickname is getting so annoying. Maybe it was that ridiculous music video they made, or the fact that a grown man calls himself "johnny" idk) is not a NFL QB. Great college player no doubt, but his game does not translate to the NFL. His arm is weak, he throws off balance way too much to consistently put the mustard that he needs to on the ball at the next level (and it's not like he had a whole lot of mustard to begin with). He plays too reckless and is way too reckless when running the ball, (he will be on I.R. in no time.) and he abandons the pocket prematurely too much.

Basically the same things that make him so exciting to watch on a college football field are the same things that will cause him failure and bring him a LOT of problems at the next level. He won't be able to just run around on Sundays like he does on Saturdays, so whoever drafts him is basically going to have to re-teach him how to play QB all over again and they will have the difficult task of trying to break him of a lot of bad habits.

There's an awful lot of pro scouts that disagree with both of you.
Old 11-24-2013   #850
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78947 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
There's a lot that agree with him too though.

- The Immortal Bo
Old 11-24-2013   #851
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69328 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
There's an awful lot of pro scouts that agree with us too, so who cares and what does it matter? Opinions are like buttholes.

The guy's playing style does not translate to the pro game and he'll drastically need to change the way he plays, that's my opinion. I don't care what a pro scout says when pro scouts can't even agree and pro scouts are wrong as many times as people that post here. Pro scouts had Blaine Gabbert as a top QB prospect coming out while grading someone like Keenum as not even being worthy of a draft pick. Keenum doesn't even have to become a every day starter in this league.. he's already proven them wrong, because at worst he'll have a long career as a quality backup regardless of how he plays from here on out.

Manziel is too small for the hits he takes because he bails out of the pocket too much, runs around, and won't get his ass on the ground before getting blasted. He was getting tossed around like Raggedy Andy today by LSU defenders and the defenders he'll face at the next level only get bigger and faster.

His footwork needs serious work as well, which is one of the reasons why I think he hangs the ball up in the air too often... because he's always throwing off balance. Which is fantastic and great to watch on the college level, in the NFL it will spell disaster. Again the guy has too many bad habits that are going to have to be broken and some of those bad habits are some of the things that makes him exciting in the college game.. So what kind of player/prospect is he going to be in the NFL when he won't be able to do those type of things? No way in hell would I draft him in the first round, maybe in the 3rd round I'd consider it.

Last edited by Carr Bombed; 11-24-2013 at 02:23 AM.
Old 11-24-2013   #852
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 49238 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
We already lots of QBs who can't score in the 2nd half at Reliant. I guess the Aggie coaching was much worse today than it has been.

Less than 40% completions, less than 5.5 yards per attempt, twice as many INTs as TDs. Meh, I was disappointed.
Yep, he stubbed his toe no doubt. Many a QB have in Baton Rouge. No surprise that Mariota, Petty and Hundley also had rough days on the gridiron. I have seen enough football to know that no person has ever played this game great in every week of every year of every game they play. Pretty much everyone was disappointed in Manziel's performance yesterday.
Old 11-24-2013   #853
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 65775 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yep, he stubbed his toe no doubt. Many a QB have in Baton Rouge. No surprise that Mariota, Petty and Hundley also had rough days on the gridiron. I have seen enough football to know that no person has ever played this game great in every week of every year of every game they play. Pretty much everyone was disappointed in Manziel's performance yesterday.
Yea, it happens. That offense relies so heavily on the QB, if he doesn't play well it gets ugly real fast. There isn't much of a running game to turn to. Alternatively, if he plays well he can really put up crazy stats.

Just one of those games.
Old 11-24-2013   #854
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Your football takes are like a virgin talking about sex.

I'm not even sure why people are responding to you with actual thoughts. You haven't said anything.
Old 11-24-2013   #855
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Section: 135J 5-8
Rep Power: 19116 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
There's an awful lot of pro scouts that agree with us too, so who cares and what does it matter? Opinions are like buttholes.

The guy's playing style does not translate to the pro game and he'll drastically need to change the way he plays, that's my opinion. I don't care what a pro scout says when pro scouts can't even agree and pro scouts are wrong as many times as people that post here. Pro scouts had Blaine Gabbert as a top QB prospect coming out while grading someone like Keenum as not even being worthy of a draft pick. Keenum doesn't even have to become a every day starter in this league.. he's already proven them wrong, because at worst he'll have a long career as a quality backup regardless of how he plays from here on out.

Manziel is too small for the hits he takes because he bails out of the pocket too much, runs around, and won't get his ass on the ground before getting blasted. He was getting tossed around like Raggedy Andy today by LSU defenders and the defenders he'll face at the next level only get bigger and faster.

His footwork needs serious work as well, which is one of the reasons why I think he hangs the ball up in the air too often... because he's always throwing off balance. Which is fantastic and great to watch on the college level, in the NFL it will spell disaster. Again the guy has too many bad habits that are going to have to be broken and some of those bad habits are some of the things that makes him exciting in the college game.. So what kind of player/prospect is he going to be in the NFL when he won't be able to do those type of things? No way in hell would I draft him in the first round, maybe in the 3rd round I'd consider it.
I agree with about 90% of what you are saying but.. Keenum hasn't proved anything yet.. he hasn't won a single game yet.

In response to the new Vance Joseph Hiring:
Old 11-24-2013   #856
Rey
Hall of Fame

For me it's not even that he bails out too early. Keenum bails early at times too...but one of the differences between them for me is that keenum looks like a natural passer. To me. He looks like a qb. Manziel to me looks like an athlete/playmaker at qb.

He throws fade away passes and pushes his throws even when not being pressured. He looks like he has to line up his passes instead of just hitting that back foot and flicking it to the receiver.

Look at some clips of bridgewater or even Jameis Winston in the pocket making throws, and then look at manziel. It's like he struggles to just drop back like a normal qb, read the defense and step into his throw. It's like before every snap he's thinking "oh ****! Here we go!"...

I'm just saying i think he has a lot of work to do, and it's going to come down to whether he humbles himself enough to do that, and can actually focus himself.

Can someone that regularly watched a&m say what he's improved on from last year to this year? I ask because for uoyoung players in college you should see significant improvement from year to year. Where has manziels biggest improvements come?
Old 11-24-2013   #857
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrhand View Post
I agree with about 90% of what you are saying but.. Keenum hasn't proved anything yet.. he hasn't won a single game yet.
So you don't think with what he's shown in his first 4 starts that he won't at least be able to be a quality backup.. Have you seen who's backing up starters in this league. David Carr scratched out a career as a career backup, Dan Orlovsky scratched out a career as a backup, as did Curtis Painter. I disagree, Keenum has already proven NFL scouts wrong as even if all he does is become a quality backup, he's already proven he was worth a draft selection.

As far as wins, that's not all on the QB.. he put us in position to beat the Colts and drove us late into field goal range. He has played well enough for us to win.
Old 11-24-2013   #858
Say Watt
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 44894 Say Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respected

Johnny has vastly improved at throwing from the pocket. Biggest disappointment for me though is that I may now agree that his game won't translate to the pros. LSU and their speed is about the closest thing you will get to an NFL defense in college football. Alabama may have more overall talent, but LSU has the speed to match the pro game. LSU is Manziel's kryptonite and if that is the case, the NFL will be his kryptonite as well.

I doubt it will happen, but I hope this shellacking makes Manziel really question whether or not he is ready to go pro. In my opinion, he needs another year in college and another shot at LSU.
Old 11-24-2013   #859
Say Watt
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 44894 Say Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respected

I have to say though that I completely quit reading Carr Bombed's posts after he said Manziel has a weak arm. Does he have Elway or Vick's arm? No. Does he have Matt Schaub's arm? Not even close. Dumbass statement.
Old 11-24-2013   #860
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Quote:
For me it's not even that he bails out too early. Keenum bails early at times too...but one of the differences between them for me is that keenum looks like a natural passer. To me. He looks like a qb. Manziel to me looks like an athlete/playmaker at qb.

He throws fade away passes and pushes his throws even when not being pressured. He looks like he has to line up his passes instead of just hitting that back foot and flicking it to the receiver.

Look at some clips of bridgewater or even Jameis Winston in the pocket making throws, and then look at manziel. It's like he struggles to just drop back like a normal qb, read the defense and step into his throw. It's like before every snap he's thinking "oh ****! Here we go!"...

I'm just saying i think he has a lot of work to do, and it's going to come down to whether he humbles himself enough to do that, and can actually focus himself.

Can someone that regularly watched a&m say what he's improved on from last year to this year? I ask because for uoyoung players in college you should see significant improvement from year to year. Where has manziels biggest improvements come?
I think it's in his best interests to return to school next year, if he comes out this year, he's way too raw. To me even though he has lit it up in college, he's a project QB at this point. They are two completely different games.

The dude needs to spend another year in the NCAA not just for football reasons, but he also needs to mature a little bit as well... I don't think he's mentally ready to make the jump yet.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read