Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 05-10-2012   #21
majestrate
Veteran

Rep Power: 6672 majestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Alshon Jeffrey, The Next Andre Johnson?

I think that remains to be seen. If this is Calvin's prime, then I believe his prime vs AJ's prime is a decent debate. If Calvin is going to further up his game, then yes, I'd [begrudgingly] say he's going to be the winner between the two
majestrate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012   #22
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 22601 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
Calvin is already better than AJ...no disrespect to AJ.
Is Calvin Johnson currently better than 08/09 AJ though? AJ is clearly no longer in his absolute prime, not that he couldn't get healthy and still be a beast, but he hasn't been at that quite that level since.
We will remember them.
welsh texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012   #23
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by welsh texan View Post
Is Calvin Johnson currently better than 08/09 AJ though? AJ is clearly no longer in his absolute prime, not that he couldn't get healthy and still be a beast, but he hasn't been at that quite that level since.
yep...I just have to watch them play to know who I'd rather have on the field but Calvin is easily more of a TD threat than AJ ever was and he is as impossible to cover with one player as well. Calvin has already had three 12+ TD seasons and Andre has never been in double digits. I'd take Calvin over AJ if I was starting a team and someone told me I could pick any WR. This is a league of great players so I don't see this as a knock on AJ.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012   #24
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331516 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
yep...I just have to watch them play to know who I'd rather have on the field but Calvin is easily more of a TD threat than AJ ever was and he is as impossible to cover with one player as well. Calvin has already had three 12+ TD seasons and Andre has never been in double digits. I'd take Calvin over AJ if I was starting a team and someone told me I could pick any WR. This is a league of great players so I don't see this as a knock on AJ.
I've always wondered about the TD thing. It seems like most teams plan to have their biggest play maker go for the TDs. The Texans seem to have a philosophy of using AJ to draw open coverage for others except when it is absolutely essential and even then I am not sure he is the 1st read often. I'll bet a lot of the time Schaub is told OD should be open, if he isn't go for AJ.
Old 05-11-2012   #25
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 254692 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
I've always wondered about the TD thing. It seems like most teams plan to have their biggest play maker go for the TDs. The Texans seem to have a philosophy of using AJ to draw open coverage for others except when it is absolutely essential and even then I am not sure he is the 1st read often. I'll bet a lot of the time Schaub is told OD should be open, if he isn't go for AJ.
Last year, it was go for Dreessen.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013   #26
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 284137 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Jeffrey certainly isn't the next AJ, but he's turning into a pretty good #2.

I thought he might play soft, but the dude goes over the middle. I wuz wrong. again.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013   #27
Trap_Star
SiteContributor

Rep Power: 38035 Trap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respected

The next Andre Johnson is in Denver catching passes from Peyton Manning.

Trap_Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013   #28
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 95426 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Jeffrey certainly isn't the next AJ, but he's turning into a pretty good #2.

I thought he might play soft, but the dude goes over the middle. I wuz wrong. again.
I miss the "Alshon Jeffrey is fat" meme
The1ApplePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013   #29
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 243703 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trap_Star View Post
The next Andre Johnson is in Denver catching passes from Peyton Manning.
Nope. Can't be the next AJ unless you put up numbers with crappy QBs. Catching balls from Manning automatically disqualifies you.
Old 11-19-2013   #30
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 96241 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
Nope. Can't be the next AJ unless you put up numbers with crappy QBs. Catching balls from Manning automatically disqualifies you.
Then its this guy...

or it could be this guy...

http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/multimedi...AJ%20Green.jpg
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013   #31
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 243703 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
Both good choices, but AJ Green is more in the mold of AJ, IMO. Not much of a prima donna, plays in a smaller TV market, and plays with an average to slightly above average QB in a system that isn't so prolific that the numbers seem watered down.

Plus, he's really damn awesome.
Old 11-22-2013   #32
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 57809 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

There is only one Andre Johnson and only ever will there be only one Andre Johnson.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read