Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 11-21-2013   #41
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Steel B's Rick/Gary Are Gone Mock

Quote:
Originally Posted by NastyNate View Post
Greg Blair from Cincy is the same player as Jones with more upside and can be had cheaper.
yeah, just don't see value in taking ILB early this year even though we clearly need one. might be good FA addition instead. Borland is better than people might think, very consistent, heady, leader that you need who will kill it on special teams as well. might not be a bad idea to bring in one of Watt's former teammates

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013   #42
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72604 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
I watched him in the last game against Miss State very closely & he seemed to be out of position some and once WR blew past him. It is more a gut feeling that I cannot explain. He is upgrade but I am very concerned & think we can replace McCain later round. I'm suggesting you not going on what you read about Belue but watch and see if I am right.

Jones does have versatility but no more than Smallwood and I've tried to work him in as OLB & still draft ILB but just can't make it work. I don't hate the pick jus tlike another player lower.
I've watched Belue in the Ol Miss/Tennesee/LSU games and he has been the best CB on the field.

I didn't see the Miss st game, butif you rate Belue this harshly off of getting burned once in 1 game, tell me how you rate Roby after the Abbrederis torching and Belue is in the late 3rd/4th rd range. What is your Roby ranking? I still have Roby ranked in the 18-25 range despite the bad game.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013   #43
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72604 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Greg Blair from Cincy is the same player as Jones with more upside and can be had cheaper.
I haven't seen Blair play so I trust your eval.

What rd do you see Blair going?
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013   #44
NastyNate
I go kerplunk

Section: Uranus
Rep Power: 51554 NastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
I haven't seen Blair play so I trust your eval.

What rd do you see Blair going?
There's not much ilb talent out there this year, I see him going late fourth round.
Old 11-22-2013   #45
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 139861 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I like Blair but don't think you will find many to say he is same as Christian Jones. Blair is more like my 3rd round mock guy Skov with avg coverage skills but great stop the run in the box player. Sources I use have him rated in 5th and I'd say 4-5, maybe. No way he has more upside. I think our co poster Seminole would argue you and IIRC, he said Jones has played a lot of OLB reducing his tackles. Here is some info on Blair:

"08/11/2013 - TOP CINCINNATI PROSPECTS FOR THE 2014 NFL DRAFT: 1. LB Greg Blair (6-1, 252, 4.72)...A 2011 transfer from Lackawanna Community College, Blair burst onto the scene at Cincinnati with 138 tackles, 2.5 sacks and two interceptions from the middle linebacker spot as a first-year starter in 2012. While he exhibits strong instincts and a physical, down-hill approach against the run, he also displays impressive awareness and anticipation in space when dropping into coverage.

He's not incredibly fluid in reverse and lacks an elite first step when asked to break down and redirect, but he diagnoses early and will take good angles to compensate. He's also a bit "top-heavy" and might need to shed some weight to generate better explosiveness and suddenness, which would project more versatility and ultimately, higher value to pro scouts. Granted an additional year of eligibility for the 2013 season, Blair will have a shot to emerge as one of the '14 class' best linebacker prospects. - Derek Stephens, NFLDraftScout
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/p...rchive/1984529
Old 11-22-2013   #46
NastyNate
I go kerplunk

Section: Uranus
Rep Power: 51554 NastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
I like Blair but don't think you will find many to say he is same as Christian Jones. Blair is more like my 3rd round mock guy Skov with avg coverage skills but great stop the run in the box player. Sources I use have him rated in 5th and I'd say 4-5, maybe. No way he has more upside. I think our co poster Seminole would argue you and IIRC, he said Jones has played a lot of OLB reducing his tackles. Here is some info on Blair:

"08/11/2013 - TOP CINCINNATI PROSPECTS FOR THE 2014 NFL DRAFT: 1. LB Greg Blair (6-1, 252, 4.72)...A 2011 transfer from Lackawanna Community College, Blair burst onto the scene at Cincinnati with 138 tackles, 2.5 sacks and two interceptions from the middle linebacker spot as a first-year starter in 2012. While he exhibits strong instincts and a physical, down-hill approach against the run, he also displays impressive awareness and anticipation in space when dropping into coverage.

He's not incredibly fluid in reverse and lacks an elite first step when asked to break down and redirect, but he diagnoses early and will take good angles to compensate. He's also a bit "top-heavy" and might need to shed some weight to generate better explosiveness and suddenness, which would project more versatility and ultimately, higher value to pro scouts. Granted an additional year of eligibility for the 2013 season, Blair will have a shot to emerge as one of the '14 class' best linebacker prospects. - Derek Stephens, NFLDraftScout
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/p...rchive/1984529

Same was probably the wrong word to use. I probably should have used something like "equally effective". He's a heady player and a sure tackler with a lot of the same pass coverage attributes of Christian Jones. And yes he does have much more upside than Jones transferring from a no name program and only playing two years at Cincinnati.
Old 11-22-2013   #47
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 139861 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
I've watched Belue in the Ol Miss/Tennesee/LSU games and he has been the best CB on the field.

I didn't see the Miss st game, butif you rate Belue this harshly off of getting burned once in 1 game, tell me how you rate Roby after the Abbrederis torching and Belue is in the late 3rd/4th rd range. What is your Roby ranking? I still have Roby ranked in the 18-25 range despite the bad game.
Well first I don't think I am rating him harshly as I stated it was more gut than anything. I would take Belue (3rd round) over Roby (1st round).

Here are some items to consider about Roby:

"After sitting out the season opener due to a suspension, the Buckeyes junior showed some rust early in 2013 and struggled mightily against Wisconsin wide receiver Jared Abbrederis, but there is a lot to love about Roby's game. That includes his speed and fighting attitude, but he needs to stay alert for all four quarters to convince NFL teams he's worthy of a high first-round grade. " http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/p...1/bradley-roby

"Roby has had a bit of an up-and-down season for the No. 3 Buckeyes and has been part of a few rough outings for a secondary that has allowed some prolific passing performances this year, including a 207-yard outing by Wisconsin receiver Jared Abbrederis. Roby also was suspended for the season opener after an offseason incident at an Indiana bar in July."
http://espn.go.com/college-football/...ar-eligibility
Old 11-22-2013   #48
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Same was probably the wrong word to use. I probably should have used something like "equally effective". He's a heady player and a sure tackler with a lot of the same pass coverage attributes of Christian Jones. And yes he does have much more upside than Jones transferring from a no name program and only playing two years at Cincinnati.
Enjoy the debate but we know Jones can play better in coverage than Blair plus he has played OLB so imo that puts his upside way above someone we know less about. Blair could do very well but he could flame out. Jones is a two position player and Blair a one.
Old 11-22-2013   #49
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 66182 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I wouldn't be able to comment on Blair, I am not familiar with him. I have a hard time watching Cincy and really their whole conference play. Usually, there is better football on, so I am behind on a lot of the guys in that conference.

In response to badboy about to Jones, it's just an agree to disagree situation. No real use for NastyNate and I to debate our opinions on Jones and his tackling ability. I like the guy a lot for his versatility, coverage ability and I do believe he is also a good tackler. People are going to have differing opinions on players and it's part of what makes this whole group process we do interesting. There's often atleast some validity to each person's opinion.

But yes Jones has moved to OLB/pass rusher this season. It happened early in the season and he is still acclimating to it. I've mentioned also that FSU had played their entire backup unit for the entire second half in the majority of games the season. Tackle numbers won't tell you the whole story about any player from that defensive unit.
TexansSeminole is online now   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read