Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 11-22-2013   #101
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 71958 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Kraft: "London ready for own NFL team"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
Miami Dolphins. Moves the London Jaguars (total ****ing BS move) to the AFC East and closer to their divisional opponents. Gets the Dolphins into the AFC South where they probably belong anyway.

I doubt their fans even give a damn about division rivalries at this point. they probably just will be grateful to get away from being ass-pounded by the Patriots twice a year.
This makes sense, and that's why it will not happen. The Texans are going to have to make a trip to London every year where our games will be played at 2am Monday morning.

How's this for a theory: The Jags get moved to London only to find out that they are no longer in the NFL but the Keystone franchise of the new NFLE and at the same time the NFL expands back to 32 putting the new franchise in L.A. thereby erasing two colossal mistakes in one fell swoop.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013   #102
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46599 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Just curious, but all things considered if the NFL is serious about going international how is London a
more appealing option than Mexico City ?
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013   #103
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 71958 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
Just curious, but all things considered if the NFL is serious about going international how is London a
Not as many drug cartels kidnapping people and leaving dead bodies littering its streets streets over there in London like there is in Mexico.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013   #104
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 264272 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
Not as many drug cartels kidnapping people and leaving dead bodies littering its streets streets over there in London like there is in Mexico.
Yeah, Tailgating just doesn't work when you're trying to party near a freeway overpass with human bodies dangling from it.

If I were an NFL player I'd have serious reservations about living in or playing in Mexico.
Old 11-23-2013   #105
mattieuk
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 33472 mattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If you are looking for a North American market outside of the USA, I think Toronto would be the best bet. Makes much more sense than London...
Old 11-23-2013   #106
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46599 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
OK there's that, but even though Rio de Janeiro also has severe criminal activity to include drug cartels they are scheduled to have both the next World Cup & the next Olympics. It's the 21st century that we are now in and we've learned how to meet all kinds of logistical and security challenges for these international events attended by large crowds. And don't forget, London also has had some extreme security challenges: remember the Islamic terrorist attacks there in 2005 ? To my knowledge Mexico city has yet to have any such problems ?
On the plus side Mexico City has so much going for it as it's this continents largest city, only a bit over 2 hours flying time from Houston and not much farther from LA, and it's CST.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013   #107
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 99071 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Would you rather have people spending pesos or pounds for your product?
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013   #108
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 356973 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookem Horns View Post
Would you rather have people spending pesos or pounds for your product?
You can exchange to dollars either way at the current rates so what is the problem?
Old 11-23-2013   #109
Dan B.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68181 Dan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
You can exchange to dollars either way at the current rates so what is the problem?
I believe the British Pound is still the most stable currency on earth is it not? Hell you can exchange gold and bitcoins for cash at their current rates. I'd rather have gold though.
Dan B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013   #110
mattieuk
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 33472 mattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
OK there's that, but even though Rio de Janeiro also has severe criminal activity to include drug cartels they are scheduled to have both the next World Cup & the next Olympics. It's the 21st century that we are now in and we've learned how to meet all kinds of logistical and security challenges for these international events attended by large crowds. And don't forget, London also has had some extreme security challenges: remember the Islamic terrorist attacks there in 2005 ? To my knowledge Mexico city has yet to have any such problems ?
On the plus side Mexico City has so much going for it as it's this continents largest city, only a bit over 2 hours flying time from Houston and not much farther from LA, and it's CST.
I'm not arguing for London at all, but some of those points don't stand up.

Do we not let the Giants and Jets have New York as a base because of 9/11? Should Dallas have a football team after JFK? Security issues on a week to week basis would be infinately easier to deal with in London, which on any given Saturday deals with up to 150,000 soccer fans descending on the city. Getting a city like Rio togethrt for a month, whilst throwing billions of dollars at a problem is easy compared to having the tried and tested infrastructure of a city like London.

Completely with you on flying time. That is why I think Toronto makes much more sense.
Old 11-23-2013   #111
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 356973 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan B. View Post
I believe the British Pound is still the most stable currency on earth is it not? Hell you can exchange gold and bitcoins for cash at their current rates. I'd rather have gold though.
Again, so what? It is a simple issue either way to convert.

Not getting off into bit coins which aren't issued by any country or gold which isn't used for transactions of this nature.
Old 11-23-2013   #112
Dan B.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68181 Dan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Again, so what? It is a simple issue either way to convert.

Not getting off into bit coins which aren't issued by any country or gold which isn't used for transactions of this nature.
Fair enough we will stick to currency exchange. My point is that the pound is more stable. When you are a millionaire player or even a billionaire owner, it makes sense to have your money in a currency that will hold in value over the years. Personally if I could have the same amount of money in pounds, dollars, or pesos I'm picking the pound for that reason. It's more likely to still be there.
Old 11-23-2013   #113
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan B. View Post
Fair enough we will stick to currency exchange. My point is that the pound is more stable. When you are a millionaire player or even a billionaire owner, it makes sense to have your money in a currency that will hold in value over the years. Personally if I could have the same amount of money in pounds, dollars, or pesos I'm picking the pound for that reason. It's more likely to still be there.
I don't think this involves player or owner money in a significant fashion. Contracts would be done in dollars because of cap requirements. The NFL is going to hold and distribute in dollars. Anything subject to revenue splitting will have to be converted to dollars. So really what we are talking about is handling of money from tickets, merchandise sales, concessions and operating expenses. Those are all transitory and readily converted. Heck if the owner in Mexico wanted he could take all his pesos ticket sales money and convert it to pounds. You aren't stuck with what you started with.

I understand arguments like crime, better sales for suites, where more TV revenue would result, etc. but I don't see currency as a stumbling block for either.
Old 11-23-2013   #114
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69511 2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I read a good article the other day about crime in Mexico compared to other countries. I will see if I can find it because it certainly made it seem as though the crime in Mexico isn't nearly as bad as the perception
2012Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013   #115
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69511 2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I don't think this involves player or owner money in a significant fashion. Contracts would be done in dollars because of cap requirements. The NFL is going to hold and distribute in dollars. Anything subject to revenue splitting will have to be converted to dollars. So really what we are talking about is handling of money from tickets, merchandise sales, concessions and operating expenses. Those are all transitory and readily converted. Heck if the owner in Mexico wanted he could take all his pesos ticket sales money and convert it to pounds. You aren't stuck with what you started with.

I understand arguments like crime, better sales for suites, where more TV revenue would result, etc. but I don't see currency as a stumbling block for either.

The currency isn't an issue but it is something I've seen many people get hung up on. As you point out players income staying in USD keeps most of "their" potential issues out. Even if that wasn't the case it comes down to simple ratios
2012Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013   #116
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 148026 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattieuk View Post
If you are looking for a North American market outside of the USA, I think Toronto would be the best bet. Makes much more sense than London...
Or how about your town of Vancouver?...lol. At least that way Seattle would have a real turf rival for the first time in history.
Old 11-23-2013   #117
mattieuk
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime100 View Post
Or how about your town of Vancouver?...lol. At least that way Seattle would have a real turf rival for the first time in history.
Whilst I would love it (I think - it'd be a bit weird having a genuine second team behind the Texans who I'd be socially expected to get more amped up for...), to be frank Vancouver doesn't deserve it (and doesn't really have the stadia for it - BC Place has just been redeveloped for $500 million and is still under 60,000 seats, which barely ever sell out for sporting events).

Seattle is just a phenomenal sports city. I've not managed to hit many places in the USA for sports, but having experienced their college football fans, their NFL fans and their MLS fans - it is absolutely insane down there. They could sell out any of the major sports at ease.

If you want an under the radar NFL base for Canada I would nominate Regina, Saskatchewan! They are by far the most passionate loyal and 'into' it Canadian Football city - it's like a high school football following fused with professional football. Even though their population is 180,000 people, I think they'd still have a decent shot at selling out a 70,000-80,000 stadium. Maybe it is because there is nothing else to do out there, but man do they love their football (if anyone is getting it on their TV schedule, tomorrow they are hosting the Grey Cup - Canada's Superbowl - it should be absolutely mental in Regina).
Old 11-23-2013   #118
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime100 View Post
It appears Vancouver already has their hands full:

Quote:
Known as the Hollywood of the North, Vancouver is one of the few destinations where one can ski and golf on the same day. These are just two of the many wonderful things to know about Vancouver. Here's another one: incidents of public masturbation are on the rise.
Link
Old 11-23-2013   #119
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 99567 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It appears Vancouver already has their hands full:

Link
Geez, It sounds like a dream vacation spot for Hopkins this offseason. Ski, Golf, and then um.. skeet shooting.

When our rookie was a DB, he used take vacations south of the border to watch cockfighting, maybe our rookie WR will go north of the border to do some...
Carr Bombed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013   #120
Dan B.
Hall of Fame

Quote:

I agree that it's not just players and owners. It's the citizens of the city/country the franchise is located in. You want a team that is on firm financial footing and whose fans will have the constant income to support their team. What is the owner of Mexico's team going to do though when he tries to convert his pesos ticket sales money and only gets half the revenue he would have the year before? Or when their economy craters and no one can afford to buy t-shirts or tickets anymore? A stable economy helps pro teams immensely. That's why teams struggled in Detroit for so long and why the Bills are threatening to leave. There's a reason that American owners from the Glazers to Khan to the Red Sox also own EPL teams rather than teams in Mexico's top league. We don't see many owners that own pro teams in Mexico and America (I can only think of Chivas and Chivas USA in the MLS). And the Mexican teams don't have nearly as solid of a financial footing as teams in England.

I also think that the main factor is going to be TV revenue. The NFL has much smaller potential growth in tv revenue in the states. The opportunity for growth is all overseas -- and Europe has far more disposable income than Latin America.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read