Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-21-2013   #221
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81730 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Keenum starter for Jacksonville game

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
If only we were in Conference USA...
The fish ain't biting, LOL.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013   #222
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 211500 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
The fish ain't biting, LOL.
I remember when Vince & Tebow dominated legitimate football conferences.
Old 11-21-2013   #223
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72604 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

How good do the fans on the MB expect Keenum to be after 4 games?

How good does the MB expect a rookie draft pick QB to be after 4 games?
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013   #224
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81730 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I remember when Vince & Tebow dominated legitimate football conferences.
Fish still not biting, =P
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013   #225
Grams 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 23727 Grams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respected

Football is nothing but entertainment.

Is Case entertaining to watch. Very much so.

We have nothing to lose with him in the game. But a lot to gain if he learns from his mistakes. He may or may not be the QB of the future. If he is, I just hope it is here and not on some other team.
Old 11-22-2013   #226
Uncle Rico
Pro BS'er

Section: Nose Bleeds
Rep Power: 17640 Uncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respected

What Keenum did in a weak conference in college is irrelevant in the NFL where every player is an all conference type of guy and where the defenses are supremely more exotic.

For the Coogs out there I'm curious to know how he did against primetime programs. Admittedly I don't follow UH at all, but my vague recollection is that he never had a signature game against a top program, I could be wrong of course so don't go building a cross just yet.
Old 11-22-2013   #227
speedfreek
All Pro

Rep Power: 26703 speedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respected

I posted this months back, but he had a better win percentage
against the SEC, B12, PAC12, B10 and ranked teams
than either Matt Schaub or TJ Yates.

He was also responsible for a ton of upset victories and
comeback wins with game winning last drives.

If we could get our o-line situation worked out -- or Gary
would spread the field with 1 or 2 back sets and go hurry-up I'm
pretty sure the same thing would happen with the Texans as well.

Aside from having to run for his life on almost every play he
looks almost exactly the same as he did in college (scanning
the field, avoiding pressure, etc..)

If people believe that Matt Schaub was a franchise QB back when
he first came here, then there's no reason to believe that
Keenum can't mature into that role either -- here or with another
team.

He is certainly off to a better start, numbers wise, and that is
with a team with key injuries to offense and defensive skills players

TJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Rico View Post
What Keenum did in a weak conference in college is irrelevant in the NFL where every player is an all conference type of guy and where the defenses are supremely more exotic.

For the Coogs out there I'm curious to know how he did against primetime programs. Admittedly I don't follow UH at all, but my vague recollection is that he never had a signature game against a top program, I could be wrong of course so don't go building a cross just yet.
speedfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013   #228
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That's a go to argument for people who aren't very good at evaluating players.

That's the same argument people used against Dontari Poe when he was coming out.

What they did is not irrelevant. Doesn't mean it will translate to nfl success, but you can most definitely look at what prospects do in lower levels of competition and form an opinion on whether certain skill sets/attributes will translate to nfl success.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013   #229
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 139861 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Come on, what any player does in college is important. You evaluate there skills, movements, ability to handle body weight, maturity and positional strengths/weaknesses like back pedal, laterals, push, verticals, hip rotation, first step, routes & coverage etc. Sure you take into consideration who they play but that is a useful tool also. Does the player dominate the weaker opponent and step up against the greater guy? Does he have good motor or coast? If you follow college ball at all these are discuss annually as folks are this year with Clowney.
Old 11-22-2013   #230
Uncle Rico
Pro BS'er

Rep Power: 17640 Uncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
That's a go to argument for people who aren't very good at evaluating players.

That's the same argument people used against Dontari Poe when he was coming out.

What they did is not irrelevant. Doesn't mean it will translate to nfl success, but you can most definitely look at what prospects do in lower levels of competition and form an opinion on whether certain skill sets/attributes will translate to nfl success.
I didn't know you were a talent scout bro, you're right I'm just a dumb fan who wouldn't know his hand from his *******, but thanks for the education.

Interestingly I brought it up because that same logic was used against me when "evaluating" or should I say stupidly analyzing the merits of Manziel in the SEC and Mariota in the PA

In the end an undrafted guy is just that, will make an awesome movie one day.

Wasn't Poe a top 10 pick? Did Keenum even go to the combine?
Old 11-22-2013   #231
Uncle Rico
Pro BS'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Come on, what any player does in college is important. You evaluate there skills, movements, ability to handle body weight, maturity and positional strengths/weaknesses like back pedal, laterals, push, verticals, hip rotation, first step, routes & coverage etc. Sure you take into consideration who they play but that is a useful tool also. Does the player dominate the weaker opponent and step up against the greater guy? Does he have good motor or coast? If you follow college ball at all these are discuss annually as folks are this year with Clowney.
Very good points. So why did every single team pass on Case? I feel if it wasn't for the home team connection he's playing in Canada or the arena league.

Before it turns into a flame war I'm not trying to be caustic just pointing out some very basic things.
Old 11-22-2013   #232
Uncle Rico
Pro BS'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfreek View Post
I posted this months back, but he had a better win percentage
against the SEC, B12, PAC12, B10 and ranked teams
than either Matt Schaub or TJ Yates.

He was also responsible for a ton of upset victories and
comeback wins with game winning last drives.

If we could get our o-line situation worked out -- or Gary
would spread the field with 1 or 2 back sets and go hurry-up I'm
pretty sure the same thing would happen with the Texans as well.

Aside from having to run for his life on almost every play he
looks almost exactly the same as he did in college (scanning
the field, avoiding pressure, etc..)

If people believe that Matt Schaub was a franchise QB back when
he first came here, then there's no reason to believe that
Keenum can't mature into that role either -- here or with another
team.

He is certainly off to a better start, numbers wise, and that is
with a team with key injuries to offense and defensive skills players

TJ
Signature game(s)? Alabama, LSU, Ohio St, The U?

I'm not so interested that ill do the digging maybe you have this stuff off the top of your head.

Schaub had success at the NFL level when Vick would go down, that's where his market was established not in college.
Old 11-22-2013   #233
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 104409 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I didn't know you were a talent scout bro, you're right I'm just a dumb fan who wouldn't know his hand from his *******, but thanks for the education.

Interestingly I brought it up because that same logic was used against me when "evaluating" or should I say stupidly analyzing the merits of Manziel in the SEC and Mariota in the PA

In the end an undrafted guy is just that, will make an awesome movie one day.

Yes
Old 11-22-2013   #234
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 153429 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Yes
yep, but he was injured, so that really hurt his draft stock.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013   #235
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 104409 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
yep, but he was injured, so that really hurt his draft stock.
Yup. I think him trying to do things while injured hurt him the most

I'm not saying he would've been drafted otherwise, I'm just saying
Old 11-22-2013   #236
TejasTom
Heisenwatt

Section: Brazos Suite
Rep Power: 46308 TejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Very good points. So why did every single team pass on Case? I feel if it wasn't for the home team connection he's playing in Canada or the arena league.

Before it turns into a flame war I'm not trying to be caustic just pointing out some very basic things.
I don't know about other teams.

Rick Smith has been asked about this. His answer was that Case didn't meet "Positional Parameters; Height, Weight, etc." Based on these statements he would not have drafted Russell Wilson. He will not draft Johnny Manziel.
Meanwhile, Sam Montgomery did meet "Positional Parameters".

Just another example of the institutional ineptitude.

Last edited by TejasTom; 11-23-2013 at 10:28 AM. Reason: Typo
TejasTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013   #237
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 211500 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
I can't imagine Graham Harrell didn't "look good" doing all of that in the Big 12. I believe Timmy Chang did as well. There's no guarantee how that player (Ryan Leaf) will translate to the NFL (Steve McNair) until he straps on the pads & take some snaps.

Case Keenum looked great playing for UH, just like Andre Ware did. But he looked better against KC than he did against Oakland. & this was with a better running game than he had in KC.

I like the kid. I think he has all the tools & the talent. But I think we're going to David Carr him... at least that's the way it looks right now. I honestly don't think our coach is helping him enough. But for what he's being asked to do right now, I think Oakland was a step back.

I hope, I pray, my fingers are crossed, & I'll be rooting for Jacksonville to be a step forward.
Old 11-23-2013   #238
tvaughan
Rookie

Rep Power: 3384 tvaughan is a quality contributor and well respectedtvaughan is a quality contributor and well respectedtvaughan is a quality contributor and well respectedtvaughan is a quality contributor and well respectedtvaughan is a quality contributor and well respectedtvaughan is a quality contributor and well respectedtvaughan is a quality contributor and well respectedtvaughan is a quality contributor and well respectedtvaughan is a quality contributor and well respectedtvaughan is a quality contributor and well respectedtvaughan is a quality contributor and well respected

This is the Tebow effect. The more enthusiastic some people are for a player, the more others will take strange pleasure bashing the guy.

It's his 4th start for a team that has been falling apart at the seams.

I can't take anyone seriously who thinks the jury is in.
tvaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013   #239
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvaughan View Post
I can't take anyone seriously who thinks the jury is in.
Me neither.
Old 12-07-2013   #240
Nitrofish
Humanoid

Rep Power: 57086 Nitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
(Quote////) Do you really believe in 11 yrs and missing 3 games and traveling with the team once a y that I would EVER root for the Texans to lose? I hate losing, losing is for losers ans begats more losing. That's why I never root for the Texans to tank. But I do know a losing org when I see one and Rick/Gary are that. (Sorry)

BTW, where have you been, you must be busy, because since the Texans have been on this losing streak and you're boy Schaubie got benched you haven't been posting very much. It's hot in the kitchen right now and I predict it's going to get hotter before the season is over.
For the record I am working overseas, as well as run two radio stations, as well as maintain corporate computer networks for several companies, so I don't always have time to argue with experts like you. More recently I have discovered that guys like you take the fun out of watching football, and discussing it with fellow fans here on this board, so I have just mostly been ignoring your posts. They are just the same old crap over and over again, and there is no point in trying to engage in a discussion with someone like you because you have all the answers and no interest in considering any other point of view.

Obviously you do not feel like the center of attention anymore since I have been skipping over whatever you post no matter how bad it is, and for that I am sorry. I did not mean to take away your outlet. I know how important it is for narcissists like yourself to get your daily dose of self worth, but I neither have the time or desire to keep feeding the trolls for the sake of boosting their egos.

Don't worry though. I am sure you will find someone else to attach yourself to soon enough, or possibly already have.

"Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory lasts forever. -Shane Falco
"Listen... Do you smell something?" -Dr. Raymond Stantz
Nitrofish is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read