Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 11-21-2013   #61
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 65775 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Jamies Winston Qb Florida State

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassHalfFull View Post
Jameis Winston Isn't The Only Problem Here: An FSU Teacher's Lament

More at the link. I wonder how widespread this is in college football.
Probably pretty prevalent for both basketball and football athletes.

I've heard some stories from students that would shock you, but it's interesting to hear it from the teacher's point of view.

My only experience was a positive one, but there weren't many FSU players in the College of Business when I was there. I had Christian Ponder in one of my high level real estate courses and he was extremely bright. He sat in the front row and always had something to contribute to class conversations. He was also always one of the first people to finish the tests. Myron Rolle was a Rhodes Scholar and ended up accepting the trip to Oxford. I never had the opportunity to meet him, but always wanted to.

Unfortunately, the bad far outweighs the good. I can imagine that teachers feel helpless at times when dealing with some guys.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013   #62
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 104085 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
Probably pretty prevalent for both basketball and football athletes.

I've heard some stories from students that would shock you, but it's interesting to hear it from the teacher's point of view.

My only experience was a positive one, but there weren't many FSU players in the College of Business when I was there. I had Christian Ponder in one of my high level real estate courses and he was extremely bright. He sat in the front row and always had something to contribute to class conversations. He was also always one of the first people to finish the tests. Myron Rolle was a Rhodes Scholar and ended up accepting the trip to Oxford. I never had the opportunity to meet him, but always wanted to.

Unfortunately, the bad far outweighs the good. I can imagine that teachers feel helpless at times when dealing with some guys.
I'm sure every college program in the US has it's share of these guys, and its share of smart athletes too. You could probably replace FSU with any other university and it all would hold true.
htownfan32 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013   #63
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27592 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I haven't seen any photos. Do you have a link to that?

If the above is true, she is clearly being opportunistic. If above is true, wouldn't believe anything her family's statement is saying.

We shall see what the truth is in time. Simply passing along things I have heard with disclaimers that they are rumors.

This is the email that I got from trusted source:

Again, it's a rumor.
Don't know you, but that e-mail sounds like some BS to me. The guy that sent that to you does realize there is something called pulling phone records these days right? This girl has made some pretty bold accusations in the last couple of days including calling out TDP. Phone records can be pulled pretty quickly these days so her statement about not knowing him before that night would be pretty stupid on her part and I'm sure TDP would jump at the opportunity to disprove this if they could considering the accusations she's made about them.

Also, its been noted that she wasn't able to actually identify him until a month after the incident happened in December. So Jameis "heard" about the call and told Jimbo about it and told him the same month it happened? Again, all of this should be pretty easy to prove or disprove if that were the case. I'm not saying any of this isn't true, but I'm just not buying it. There is obviously more here than just a girl scorned.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013   #64
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 65775 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

We'll find out the truth soon enough. I told you to take it for what it's worth, did I not?
Old 11-21-2013   #65
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27592 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
We'll find out the truth soon enough. I told you to take it for what it's worth, did I not?
Most definitely.......... I was just laying out why I don't buy what the e-mail said. JMO on it. I've seen some suspect tweets that are supposedly from her so I'm sure it'll out come to light. Either her, her family, and their attorney are dumb as a box of rocks or she's telling the truth.
Old 11-21-2013   #66
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post
Most definitely.......... I was just laying out why I don't buy what the e-mail said. JMO on it. I've seen some suspect tweets that are supposedly from her so I'm sure it'll out come to light. Either her, her family, and their attorney are dumb as a box of rocks or she's telling the truth.
I hear ya.

If above is true, could be that she was embarrassed about it and didn't want to tell her parents about how she called the police because she was mad. Her parents may not know what actually happened.

A lot of possibilities. I live with a public defender, so I tend to stick to the innocent until proven guilty rule. Definitely heard my share of crazy stories.
Old 11-21-2013   #67
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I hear ya.

If above is true, could be that she was embarrassed about it and didn't want to tell her parents about how she called the police because she was mad. Her parents may not know what actually happened.

A lot of possibilities. I live with a public defender, so I tend to stick to the innocent until proven guilty rule. Definitely heard my share of crazy stories.
I know a couple of guys that were falsely accused of rape. Definitely nothing to make light of. Like I said they've made statements that they just met that night. That's just something that's way too easy to prove false if that wasn't the case.

I like Jameis and hope he wouldn't do something like this. I haven't made any judgements on his innocence or guilt. I just think a lot of what people are posting on forums sounds like made up stories thats all. Not necessarily you, but certain things aren't adding up from a lot of "sources".
Old 11-21-2013   #68
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post
I know a couple of guys that were falsely accused of rape. Definitely nothing to make light of. Like I said they've made statements that they just met that night. That's just something that's way too easy to prove false if that wasn't the case.

I like Jameis and hope he wouldn't do something like this. I haven't made any judgements on his innocence or guilt. I just think a lot of what people are posting on forums sounds like made up stories thats all. Not necessarily you, but certain things aren't adding up from a lot of "sources".
I think it's just because we have very little information and it's so high profile. I'll be happy when it's over.
Old 11-22-2013   #69
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

They need to sort this **** out quickly before the Heisman votes close in a few weeks. It would be truly amazing if Johnny Football wins the Heisman again due to the other guy having even worse character issues. I certainly would not have predicted that.
Old 11-22-2013   #70
Stemp
Brew Master

Section: Sec 118 Row H
Rep Power: 45235 Stemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respected

Remember when being accused of signing autographs for money by anonymous shady memorabilia dealers was a big deal? And then Winston said "slap me upside the head if I ever catch manziel disease"?
Stemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013   #71
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 171454 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Wow. i did not think it was that big a deal.

Nope , sex crimes are not a big deal at all , let the police go write traffic citations instead ....

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013   #72
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Interesting article on yahoo sports

Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahoo
Travis Johnson says he knows exactly who Willie Meggs is. He certainly knows, perhaps better than just about anyone else, what Jameis Winston may be dealing with right now.

Ten years ago, Johnson was a Florida State defensive lineman charged with sexual battery by Meggs' office. He was accused of forcing himself on an FSU female shot putter, with whom he'd previously had a relationship. His family hired an attorney. He vehemently proclaimed his innocence. He said he took and passed three lie detector tests. He presented evidence and experts who said because of a recent surgery, he couldn't possibly have held anyone down.

"Meggs charged me anyway," Johnson told Yahoo Sports on Wednesday. "Just like I believe he's going to charge Jameis. He wants to prosecute Florida State players. He is obsessed with attention and wants big cases."

The State Attorney has repeatedly defended its decision to try the Johnson case, saying it was a case of he said/she said, and there was no ulterior motive in bringing it to trial.

After two days of evidence and testimony, however, Johnson won an acquittal from an all-female jury that needed just 30 minutes of deliberation.

"I talked to the jury," Johnson said. "They didn't even need that. They spent five minutes going to the bathroom, five minutes laughing about the evidence. The trial was a joke. Meggs knew all of that. He never should have charged me."

Johnson was cleared just before his senior year, where he returned to the field for the Seminoles and wound up the 16th pick overall in the 2005 NFL draft. He played six seasons in the league for Houston and San Diego and now looks on from afar convinced that he is witnessing deja vu – the potential railroading of a star Seminole.
"I was a star but not the level of Jameis Winston," Johnson said. "This is Willie Meggs' big chance."

Johnson, 31, is married and raising five children in Houston. He said while he obviously doesn't know exactly what happened in the Winston case, from what he does know via media reports and his connections to FSU football, he believes in the quarterback's innocence. He says just charging Winston would be devastating to the player.

Mostly he doesn't trust the State Attorney.

"Facts don't matter when you are dealing with a guy like Willie Meggs. Willie Meggs isn't out for the facts …

"At the end of the day, this is still the Jim Crow South," said Johnson, who originally hailed from Sherman Oaks, Calif. "You think, 'It's Florida.' Well, it's not Florida. It's South Georgia. Tallahassee is South Georgia."

Johnson fears for Winston if he is charged. He says his own ordeal resulted in severe mental and emotional depression, and the hurt didn't go away with an acquittal. He had to relive it through taunts from opposing fans and concerned looks from fellow students who merely passed him the hallway outside a classroom. The humiliation continued when he had to discuss the situation with all 32 NFL teams during the draft process. And he knows that no matter what the jury said, some still believe he did it.

"Right after the verdict I turned to the State's Attorney table and told them, 'You're all pieces of [expletive],' " Johnson said. "They knew the facts of the case and they put me through it anyway. They tried to destroy me. And now it's the same thing.
It's a long article. I found this part particularly interesting. I remember the Travis Johnson case pretty well, maybe others here researched it after the Texans picked him up.

It's not surprising about Meggs. He has been involved in shady prosecutions since 1999. He charged a whistle-blower who had brought attention to a corrupt police officer on basically no evidence. Drug the guy through the mud because he exposed one of his own, as Meggs is a former police officer.
Old 11-22-2013   #73
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stemp View Post
Remember when being accused of signing autographs for money by anonymous shady memorabilia dealers was a big deal? And then Winston said "slap me upside the head if I ever catch manziel disease"?
Lol, this is all about Manziel, his Heisman chances, and his public perception for you. Pretty clear and wasn't difficult to see from the get-go.

What happens to your guilty until proven innocent attitude if Winston isn't charged? Still going to claim corruption by police? What about if he's charged and found not guilty? Still going to feel the same way? I'd bet on it.
Old 11-22-2013   #74
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 104085 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Lol, this is all about Manziel, his Heisman chances, and his public perception for you. Pretty clear and wasn't difficult to see from the get-go.

What happens to your guilty until proven innocent attitude if Winston isn't charged? Still going to claim corruption by police? What about if he's charged and found not guilty? Still going to feel the same way? I'd bet on it.
The Heisman really should take a backburner to all this, but it will hurt Winston's chances even if he's innocent. Bad press never helps and a rape accusation is worse than underage partying/drinking.

That being said I honestly believe that even outside the rape case going on if Manziel nails the LSU and Mizzou games it's his.

In the end, though, I hope they find out the truth of the matter. If Winston is innocent I hope he's found so and can continue with his career and life and bring his talented play to the next level, if he's guilty, then I hope he gets nailed.
htownfan32 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013   #75
Stemp
Brew Master

Rep Power: 45235 Stemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

No just pointing out the hypocrisy of many people (not you) who were up in arms over the manziel deal and yet continue to make excuses for Winston. I've seen media members Roast manziel over anonymous accusations and yet refuse to take this accusation which is more serious into consideration.

I don't really care if he gets charged or not but I want them to make a decision and do what needed to be done months ago. I also don't like the fact that FSU fans are going with the strategy of blaming the victim and refusing to believe their hero could possibly do anything wrong
Old 11-22-2013   #76
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Quote:
No just pointing out the hypocrisy of many people (not you) who were up in arms over the manziel deal and yet continue to make excuses for Winston. I've seen media members Roast manziel over anonymous accusations and yet refuse to take this accusation which is more serious into consideration.

I don't really care if he gets charged or not but I want them to make a decision and do what needed to be done months ago. I also don't like the fact that FSU fans are going with the strategy of blaming the victim and refusing to believe their hero could possibly do anything wrong
The media is doing a fine job of taking it seriously. Not sure what articles you've been reading or which TV reports you've seen, but it's pretty clear that the media is taking it seriously.

FSU fans are giving him the benefit of the doubt, as it's not the first time this kind of thing has happened. There's no harm in passing along reports of people seeing the two around together before and after the incident. Innocent until proven guilty and all that nonsense I guess.
Old 11-22-2013   #77
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69152 2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

As I read through all of this the thing that kept jumping in my head was exactly as texasseminole pointed out. Your A&M gab. While I dont have a problem with JM nor do I like jumping to conclusions in cases like JW you have to know you are slanted in this somewhat and it is showing

Quote:
refusing to believe their hero could possibly do anything wrong
Like Johnny?
2012Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013   #78
Stemp
Brew Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012Champs View Post
As I read through all of this the thing that kept jumping in my head was exactly as texasseminole pointed out. Your A&M gab. While I dont have a problem with JM nor do I like jumping to conclusions in cases like JW you have to know you are slanted in this somewhat and it is showing
People see what they want to see. Sure, I want Johnny to win another one, but again, I'm more upset about how the TPD treated the girl by stonewalling and burying the investigation and how FSU fans are trying to blame the victim and claim some conspiracy when she did everything you'd expect a victim to do.

Quote:
Like Johnny?
Now come on. Did he get paid? yeah, it's possible. If so was he the only one?No probably not, even though the media ignored all the other players who had similiar "evidence" against them. And was there any real and credible evidence he got paid? Not really.

Did he get roasted in the media more than Winston is for this alleged sexual assault? Yeah, I'd say so. Manziel was mentioned on all the sports shows multiple times a day and I haven't seen hardly anything about Winston even after the DNA matched. And which do you think is more credible? An anonymous shady memorabilia dealer who refuses to speak on the record or a girl who calls the police after being assaulted and where the police have DNA and physical evidence of the event?

The media made all the crap with Manziel into a big deal for weeks and there was almost nothing to the story. Yet, they are being very careful about reporting the Winston story.

I've even heard a commentator say that Johnny's offseason puts him down in his mind, but that the Winston case has no bearing to him.

Just more media hypocrisy IMO.
Old 11-22-2013   #79
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72184 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012Champs View Post

Like Johnny?
What crime has either one of these guys ever been convicted of?

Slanted? Your hatered of Manziel knows no bounds, I'm not speaking for Stemp. But Manziel parties like most 20 yr olds with fame and fortune would and is convicted in the medias court of public opinion.

Winston has yet to have charges brought against him and the media doesn't seem to be treating Winston the same as they have been treatin Manziel.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013   #80
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69152 2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
What crime has either one of these guys ever been convicted of?

Slanted? Your hatered of Manziel knows no bounds, I'm not speaking for Stemp. But Manziel parties like most 20 yr olds with fame and fortune would and is convicted in the medias court of public opinion.

Winston has yet to have charges brought against him and the media doesn't seem to be treating Winston the same as they have been treatin Manziel.

Please point out my hate for Johnny. I bet you can't
2012Champs is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read