Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-20-2013   #201
Uncle Rico
Pro BS'er

Section: Nose Bleeds
Rep Power: 17109 Uncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Keenum starter for Jacksonville game

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazing80 View Post
ive got a broken arm and nothing but time at home all alone lol...here are the stats for the last 5 winners

ravens - 10th ppg/16th ypg
giants - 9th ppg/8th ypg
packers 10th ppg/9th ypg
saints - 1st ppg/1st ypg
steelers - 20th ppg/22nd ypg
Hmmm. So then the old adage still holds true. Defense wins championships.
Old 11-20-2013   #202
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 32275 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Rico View Post

Low points allowed defense maybe, certainly not low yardage allowed defense
Old 11-20-2013   #203
Uncle Rico
Pro BS'er

Section: Nose Bleeds
Rep Power: 17109 Uncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
Low points allowed defense maybe, certainly not low yardage allowed defense
Lol, touché.
Old 11-20-2013   #204
amazing80
Site Contributor

Section: my couch
Rep Power: 36901 amazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Rico View Post
to be honest, i think its about getting hot at the right time.....getting your defense to be lock down while your offense starts to get hot.....
Old 11-20-2013   #205
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Just saw this little deal with Keenum on csn waiting for the rockets to come on and I was pleased to see that he recognized the faults in his game. Not the generic stuff...he actually realizes that he has to step up in the pocket more and trust that the blocking will be there. He understands that he's leaving too early sometimes.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013   #206
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 65775 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Just saw this little deal with Keenum on csn waiting for the rockets to come on and I was pleased to see that he recognized the faults in his game. Not the generic stuff...he actually realizes that he has to step up in the pocket more and trust that the blocking will be there. He understands that he's leaving too early sometimes.
That's good news. I like Keenum, I hope it works out with him. He's got everything he needs: good arm, good feet. He just needs to soak up as much as he can and keep working hard. We'll see how far he can come by the end of the season.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013   #207
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 165989 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
But to step into the pocket he can't be continually barraged with up the middle blitzes with no protection like he's had to sustain during the past few games.

Some comments by Case and Kubiak that may make for some positive changes.

Quote:
Keenum’s clearly had some ‘wow’ moments. But those moments have all happened in losses by the Texans, and the second-year signal caller is trying to work on a few things, like staying in the pocket longer when defenses dial up a blitz.

“I think I can do a better job of trusting when those pressures that they are going to be picked up and recognizing that we have the right protection called and to the right pressure,” Keenum said Wednesday. “And still be able to stay in the pocket and knowing I don’t have to drift, I don’t have to move.”

Some of Keenum’s best throws have come after he’s scrambled to avoid a sack. His lone touchdown pass in Sunday’s loss to Oakland is a perfect example. After running to his right and gathering himself just in bounds, he connected with tight end Garrett Graham for a 42-yard scoring strike.

But on 3rd-and-12 at the Raiders’ 25-yard line in the first quarter, he was dropped for a 15-yard loss when Lamarr Houston finally corralled him. It took the Texans out of field goal range, and Keenum said he knows he can’t make mistakes like that again.

“I can make a better throw on a deeper route on time rather than trying to escape and get out of there, and totally have a busted play, if you will,” Keenum said.

Still, head coach Gary Kubiak doesn’t want to shackle an aspect of Keenum’s game that has been to the Texans’ benefit.

“You don’t want to ever take away his ability to make plays,” Kubiak said. “I want him to react and do those type of things.”

Through the first four starts, Keenum has 992 passing yards, and has completed 70-of-126 attempts. The notion that Keenum has ‘happy feet’ and is unwilling to be a pocket passer doesn’t fly with Jacksonville head coach Gus Bradley, who spoke with the Houston media via a Wednesday conference call.

“I think he does a really good job of staying in the pocket,” Bradley said. “But, I think what stands out to us is he’ll improvise.”

Bradley also mentioned how impressed he’s been by Keenum’s “good poise”, and the “sense of spirit” the former Houston Cougar has infused the team with during his short time as a starter.

Because Keenum has shown a willingness to scramble and throw outside of the pocket, his offensive line has had to adjust. But left guard Wade Smith said that’s a good thing.

“When he’s making plays,you’re not going to do much complaining,” Smith said. “I think you realize as an offensive linemen, you have to protect a little bit longer and maybe at different angles than you might normally because he’ll extend plays and he’ll run around a little bit more.”

The term “gunslinger” has been used, at times, to describe Keenum. And Kubiak said that’s an aspect of his game shared by some of the NFL’s greats.

“Those good ones do,” Kubiak said. “So I think that’s what gives him a chance, an excellent chance to be a good player in this league.”

Keenum doesn’t mind the moniker either, as long it’s in the positive “John Wayne-type” sense of the word. While he’s aiming to spend a little more time in the pocket, and negate the blitzes that have sometimes gotten to him, he’s still going to stick with what’s worked.

“I’m coming out slinging it to be perfectly honest,” Keenum said. “I’ve got nothing to lose. That’s been my mindset for a long time and it’s the way I am.”
link
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013   #208
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 165989 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Kubiak:

Quote:
(on how much QB Case Keenum liking to move out of the pocket is a challenge for the offensive line) “Yeah, it might be a little bit different because he moves a lot more obviously than Matt (Schaub) does, so it might be a little bit different from that standpoint. But as far as what we’re doing, what we’re calling, we haven’t invented the wheel with Case other than putting him back there in the pistol and doing a lot of work form there. A lot of the concepts we’re doing the same. I wouldn’t say that that is that big of a factor.”

(on QB Case Keenum still learning a lot about being a starter) “Yeah, there’s a great deal to learn. It’s every week. It’s funny, when you play a young guy like that, it’s interesting to me going through it for years, usually, initially, the first wave of some really good stuff and then it’s like the more you get going, the more football they play, the more people watch them. Now, the growth process really starts and I think that’s kind of going on with him right now. But he’s responded. Like practice and game plans, he’s what now five weeks into the game plans, I’m the guy, I’m playing, I’ve got to study my tail off. So, so many things are happening for him becoming a starter right now, off the field as well as on the field.”

(on if QB Case Keenum needs to get more comfortable staying in the pocket)
“Well, you don’t want to ever take away his ability to make plays. I want him to react and do those types of things. There’s some time I think that he’s looking at things saying, ‘There was no reason for me to leave there and those type of things.’ But at the same time, the reason he’s making those plays and has been effective and done the things he’s things is because he’s got some of that gunslinger in him, and those good ones do. So I think that’s what gives him a chance, an excellent chance to be a good player in this league.”
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013   #209
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
It ain't working out! Oddly, this was easily his most talented offense in his eight years, at least in regards to having weapons in multiple positions... And, as bad as the line has played, we would have killed for this group through 2008... There is no clear explanation why this has happened. The snowball effect is in full gear, though, so he will have to exit the organization wondering what the heck happened.
Unless there was too much tearing the team apart from within. Ed Reed & the rookies; Montgomery, Wood? Wade may not have been totally invested because of his dad's health issues. Then Schaub trying to "be the guy" while Case was kissing all the girls.

Not to absolve Kubiak/Schaub of anything. They should have been able to manage this locker room. Too many good guys, too many leaders not to.
Old 11-21-2013   #210
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddogmrb View Post
Exactly, and for those of you who say Case can't find the short middle routes never watched him in college....
Guess where Case isn't now.

I'll give you a hint... it's not the preseason either.
Old 11-21-2013   #211
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Kubiak:
Quote:
(on if QB Case Keenum needs to get more comfortable staying in the pocket) “Well, you don’t want to ever take away his ability to make plays. I want him to react and do those types of things. There’s some time I think that he’s looking at things saying, ‘There was no reason for me to leave there and those type of things.’ But at the same time, the reason he’s making those plays and has been effective and done the things he’s things is because he’s got some of that gunslinger in him, and those good ones do. So I think that’s what gives him a chance, an excellent chance to be a good player in this league.”
I'd love to see them move the pocket for Case. If they fake the run to the right, instead of the bootleg, where Case has to turn all the way around, taking his eyes off the defense, he should just keep moving right, set his feet, & scan the defense.
Old 11-21-2013   #212
OzzO
.. and then?

Rep Power: 23884 OzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to OzzO

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Guess where Case isn't now.

I'll give you a hint... it's not the preseason either.
The bench?
OzzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013   #213
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigeztx View Post
People act like this is new. Case as ive said has limitstiond on the type of routes that can be performed. He also hss been trying to mske everything a big play. His inability to see ovrr the pressure in his face has been bad. Hes s young guy and I prefer to evaluate him to see if hes a backup or just a placeholder till they get the right qb.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
That's 1 play bud...1 play that was hardly in traffic...1 play that he also was in the shotgun in....1 play that he also ran a trillion times at U of H.

Why didn't you pull up the numerous near picks and pass break ups he had trying to throw over the middle in the AZ game? Or the short armed pass to AJ last week?
I'm laughing so hard.
Thanks for the entertainment, guys.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013   #214
SAMURAITEXAN 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 19322 SAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

We are 2-8 which is disappointing season however, this will be a good time for Case to get an experience he needs to be a potential starter for the future. So, give him some time and find out what really he can do for us. I like his long pass, quick release, mobile capability which is much exciting than Matt's game.

Go Texans!!!
SAMURAITEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013   #215
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
That's what I said. Problem is he can't bring himself to not try and mold Case into another one of his guys. Instead of doing what Case does well and building an offense around it he's back to that same old square peg - round hole mentality that is his Achilles heel.
Ding ding ding.

Those who followed Keenum at UH know that he can run an up-tempo offense like there's no tomorrow.
The coaches had to slow it down because the defense can't keep up (due to lack of depth.)

He beat blitzes all the time.
It doesn't matter.
You can send the house or you can drop nine.

But, there has to be plays to make it work.
You can't bang your head against the wall.
All this talk about Keenum not being able to recognize blitzes made me laugh so hard.

Yes, he did miss a hot here and there;
I still remember how Schaub was so bad that he got sacked right off the bat th first couple of years he was here.

But, that's fine.
Some people are holding Keenum to a high standard.
All good.

The funny thing about Leebigz, for example, is that he treats Geno Smith differently. He tells me "but Geno did a few things well, can't you see it?"

In the meantime, Smith continues to err at a rocket rate.

But Geno has the potential to be a franchise QB, and Keenum is not the future.

I've never laughed so hard, LOL , LOL.
Old 11-21-2013   #216
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
It ain't working out! Oddly, this was easily his most talented offense in his eight years, at least in regards to having weapons in multiple positions... And, as bad as the line has played, we would have killed for this group through 2008... There is no clear explanation why this has happened. The snowball effect is in full gear, though, so he will have to exit the organization wondering what the heck happened.
To me, Kubiak does evolve in his scheme.
The problem is when he's going away from the ZBS, some (as in many) of his linemen aren't up to the task.

Take the double dual concept for example.
It requires a guard to be able to block two pass rushers on one play.
He has an aging Wade Smith with chronic knee problem.
He has BB, who's quick for a guy his size, but not quick and agile enough to be able to perform the task with consistency.

Now, if he has a mobile Schaub or an experienced Keenum, I would have no squabble. He has neither.

In a rush to evolve, the coaching staff forgot about adaptability.
They've been forcing a few too many square pegs through round holes.
Old 11-21-2013   #217
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
I find that amusing as well.
Why I said in the game thread that it has been entertaining.
I'm not one to ridicule people, I just want to have fun with football, and so I'm enjoying it thoroughly.
Old 11-21-2013   #218
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Great points in analysis.

I noticed the tendency to roll instead of step up into the pocket, as well. Not sure if it's a lack of trust in the blockers or if it's just inexperience with pocket management, but it is certainly something to be curious about. When pressure comes from the around the tackles, most experienced QBs step up to pass or take advantage of the hole for some positive yardage with their feet.

I'm not criticizing the guy. Just observations as a fan. Kid has a lot of potential, but he will have to learn some of the basic fundamentals of managing a pro offense to have a multi-dimensional skillset.
What I see is a young QB trying too hard sometimes.
It's not that he doesn't trust his O-line, but he does try to put it upon himself too much, and he needs to learn from that.

On some plays, it was out of character of him.
Growing pain.

But it was the same for Luck last year.
I was saying I thought the Colts put too much on his plate.
This year, they reduced the load, and Luck is becoming a more proficient QB.
Old 11-21-2013   #219
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Ding ding ding.

Those who followed Keenum at UH know that he can run an up-tempo offense like there's no tomorrow..
If only we were in Conference USA...
Old 11-21-2013   #220
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 207979 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
If only we were in Conference USA...
With the Jags and Texans in the division, we kind of are.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read