Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 11-20-2013   #21
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 56852 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Pats/Panthers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
Gronk was too far away from where the pass was intercepted to make a play on the ball or even the player for that matter. Therefore it is an uncatchable ball, and the flag gets picked up.
I guess im just not a fan of making assumptions of what would have happened. But when I get my crystal ball I will join you and the refs.
Blake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013   #22
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
I guess im just not a fan of making assumptions of what would have happened. But when I get my crystal ball I will join you and the refs.
He literally had 1 second to stop going towards the back of the end zone, change direction, and move 2-3 steps towards where the INT was made. It's physically impossible to do that, and he made absolutely no effort to do so. He doesn't even try to fight off Keuchly, so I don't think he should get the benefit of the doubt here.

Edit: FYI, the gif I posted is not in real-time, it's slightly slowed down. That does make some difference when you consider that the refs are calling the play based on what they saw on the field, and they have no way of reviewing it on video like we can.
Old 11-20-2013   #23
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 223543 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to infantrycak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
That was a pass interference call and everyone in here knows it. Just because you hate the team that it happened to shouldn't ever change how you can easily view a play. Its always amazing to me to see how people will let their bias completely over rule their objectivity. If that same play happened at the end of a Texans game, everyone saying it wasn't a pass interference call would be screaming bloody murder. Lol!
There are some people in the thread who are Pats haters but no everyone does not know it was pass interference because it wasn't. I don't care one way or another about the Pats. The ball must be catchable for there to be pass interference and it clearly was not catchable.

Quote:
Of course it was pass interference, but the ball was tipped/intercepted well before it ever made it to the receiver, therefore it gets called off.
You even quoted it, it is definitionally not pass interference. Otherwise spot on in this thread.
Old 11-20-2013   #24
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 156011 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by toronto View Post
Ripping the pats aside, the right call to me was holding or illegal contact.
They talked about this on the radio this morning. Said the rule is very clear that once the ball is in the air, those calls are off the table. It's PI or nothing.
Old 11-20-2013   #25
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post

You even quoted it, it is definitionally not pass interference. Otherwise spot on in this thread.
It is uncatchable due to the safety making the interception. Had he not been there, the ball would have hit around Luke Keuchley's feet, and been a PI.
Old 11-20-2013   #26
Blake
MMQB

Rep Power: 56852 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It is uncatchable due to the safety making the interception. Had he not been there, the ball would have hit around Luke Keuchley's feet, and been a PI.

Think about what you are saying. Your logic above states that defensive players can commit PI as long as another defender undercuts the route and intercepts it.

I think you and I could go round and round but the simple fact is that uncatchable is not defined by the NFL in the rule book or anywhere else.

On another note, I thought this was hilarious.

Quote:
“We as officials have always been taught, for a ball to be uncatchable, it has to be clearly out of the field of play or it has to be a kind of — I probably shouldn’t say this — a Tim Tebow-type pass that lands 15 yards in front of you,” Daopoulus said.
Old 11-20-2013   #27
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

I have always considered "uncatchable" to mean that the intended receiver of the offense had no chance of getting the ball. I don't think it has ever been defined to be exclusively for overthrows. Gronk had no chance of getting that ball because it was undercut by the safety. How does that not equal being "uncatchable?"
Old 11-20-2013   #28
Txn_in_Oki
Lucky 13

Rep Power: 21276 Txn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
There is maybe a split second between the time the ball is touched and when Keuchly actually wraps up Gronk. Yes there was some contact there and it would normally be a PI, BUT the pass is undercut about 7 yards in front of them. Here's a gif of the play for reference:

When that happens, you employ this rule from your link:

Gronk was too far away from where the pass was intercepted to make a play on the ball or even the player for that matter. Therefore it is an uncatchable ball, and the flag gets picked up.
To me it looks like the interferance starts when he tries to make his cut back to the ball. He can't get to it because he is getting pushed back and then gets a big friendly hug from the defender.
Old 11-20-2013   #29
Blake
MMQB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txn_in_Oki View Post
To me it looks like the interferance starts when he tries to make his cut back to the ball. He can't get to it because he is getting pushed back and then gets a big friendly hug from the defender.
Agreed. I do see him stick his right foot in the ground to change direction, but is unable to go towards the ball due to 230 pounds of linebacker in his way.
Old 11-20-2013   #30
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 63675 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Probably should have been PI, but as a former DB I love seeing these kind of things go uncalled. At some point make the receiver make a play. Don't bail them out with flags on every borderline play.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013   #31
YeaLikeRightNow
Veteran

Rep Power: 650 YeaLikeRightNow is a quality contributor and well respectedYeaLikeRightNow is a quality contributor and well respectedYeaLikeRightNow is a quality contributor and well respectedYeaLikeRightNow is a quality contributor and well respectedYeaLikeRightNow is a quality contributor and well respectedYeaLikeRightNow is a quality contributor and well respectedYeaLikeRightNow is a quality contributor and well respectedYeaLikeRightNow is a quality contributor and well respectedYeaLikeRightNow is a quality contributor and well respectedYeaLikeRightNow is a quality contributor and well respectedYeaLikeRightNow is a quality contributor and well respected

The refs looked at it and decided the infraction was meaningless since the ball was underthrown and intercepted while the huggs were happening.
YeaLikeRightNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013   #32
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9693 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

Of course the pass is uncatchable once Kuechly starts pushing Gronk backwards. Gronk plants his foot to come back to the ball and that's when Kuechly commits the pass interference penalty. Flag shouldn't have been picked up but I'm glad it was. God knows the Patriots have gotten their fair share of calls in the past.
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read