Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: What is most pressing need for next season? (Player personnel only)
Quarterback 36 32.43%
Offensive line 46 41.44%
Linebackers 10 9.01%
Secondary 1 0.90%
Placekicker 0 0%
Something else 18 16.22%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-18-2013   #41
Number19
All Pro

Rep Power: 25944 Number19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Highest 2014 priority

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandmanx View Post
As far as players, Oline needs to be addressed first. After that the secondary needs some serious attention.
8 TD passes given up in the last 3 games!
Number19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013   #42
CretorFrigg
Fire Rick Smith

Rep Power: 35618 CretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number19 View Post
3 to an UDFA QB's first start with a terrible supporting cast and his starting RB out.
Old 11-18-2013   #43
HouTx11
Veteran

Rep Power: 10276 HouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respected

Priority #1: Replace head coach and offensive coordinator.
HouTx11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013   #44
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27155 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Easily a new coach. Not even close.

^^^^This^^^^
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013   #45
Naija Texan
Rookie

Rep Power: 945 Naija Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedNaija Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedNaija Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedNaija Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedNaija Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedNaija Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedNaija Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedNaija Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedNaija Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedNaija Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedNaija Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Offensive line, if what is being rumored about Brennan Williams is true, we might have to use another pick on a RT, which is a shame because I was certain we could have grabbed a great LG or defensive player early on and then pick up a QB in the second round.

But as great as the need at LB is, we have a 1st rounder, a 2nd rounder and hopefully a 4th round pick already on the OLB position, ILB could use some talent influxed but no ILB has yet to make their name to go as high as the Texans are likely to be drafting from in the first.

Maybe CB but I'm hoping the GM (new or returning) is smart enough to not drop Jonathan Joseph since I don't know any decent FAs at CB that will be as good and I don't want another Kareem Jackson style rookie trial by fire.
Naija Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013   #46
Number19
All Pro

Rep Power: 25944 Number19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naija Texan View Post
...I don't want another Kareem Jackson style rookie trial by fire.
I had forgotten (I just now looked it up) that Jackson was taken in the 1st round at pick #20. What I had more in mind was Dunta Robinson, taken with the #10 pick.
Number19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013   #47
euro-Texan
All Pro

Rep Power: 1542 euro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Better fans
Old 11-20-2013   #48
Uncle Rico
Pro BS'er

Section: Nose Bleeds
Rep Power: 21559 Uncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro-Texan View Post
Better fans
LOL not sure if you are being sarcastic (which I love) or if you just want to sacrifice yourself for all our sins by saying that on this board.

Either way good stuff.
Old 11-20-2013   #49
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 20123 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by powda View Post
Plenty of qbs have failed with good ol's. Even more have failed with bad ol's. Lets learn from the carr debacle. Gimme a rt or a qb in rounds 1 and 2...whatever the order. I want the best possible talent at those positions.
Aaron Rogers and Peyton Manning seemed to do pretty well playing behind mediocre-at-best lines.

Having an elite QB virtually guarantees you at least one SB. Otherwise you have to patch together a team and hope the stars align.

If I have a top 5 pick in a supposedly historical QB draft, I am taking a QB, and it's not even close.

Frankly, it's shocking to me that, after 11 years of watching David Carr and Matt Schaub lose twice a year to Manning, more aren't on this bandwagon.
Old 11-20-2013   #50
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13071 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Last night I dreamt that we went for a NT in the first round. I was surprised because I thought that the right side of our O-line would be an even greater need, but then remembered that Kubiack probably thinks that oneshould not pick linemen before the 5th..

Wierd dream
Old 11-20-2013   #51
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 269943 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post
Aaron Rogers and Peyton Manning seemed to do pretty well playing behind mediocre-at-best lines.

Having an elite QB virtually guarantees you at least one SB. Otherwise you have to patch together a team and hope the stars align.

If I have a top 5 pick in a supposedly historical QB draft, I am taking a QB, and it's not even close.

Frankly, it's shocking to me that, after 11 years of watching David Carr and Matt Schaub lose twice a year to Manning, more aren't on this bandwagon.
"supposedly historical draft"

Not everyone sees this QB class as being anywhere near as good as that.

That's why more people aren't on this bandwagon.

Plus, and it might even be a bigger factor if you think about it most of the posters are still trying to wrap their heads around where we'll be post season. There are six games left and it's not even a given that Kubiak will be gone (but it sure seems inevitable). It's probably still too soon for there to be a consensus bandwagon on any one player or position.
Old 11-20-2013   #52
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
Coaching makes a huge difference...look at the saints....garbage last year, payton comes back and they're a SB favorite.
The same could be said of the Chiefs, and the Eagles. Though the Eagles previous coach is the guy leading the 9-1 Chiefs so the situation and personnel make a big difference too.

Funny thing is the Panthers were a bad team under John Fox, who is now HC of the 9-1 Broncos. Yet the Panthers defense has surged to new heights and have high expectations this season under a second year coach in Ron Rivera, who had never been a head coach before. I think that has a lot to do with how the talent is utilized by the right coach.

We have seen this countless times in the NFL that a team with a lot of talent simply needs a new coach to come in and assess the issues, fill some major holes, and implement a new strategy that accentuates the team's advantages. I think the Texans could be a 10 win team next year with the right coach at the helm. Maybe it will take a year of rebuilding, like the Panthers did, but the fact is you need a HC willing to adjust to the current talent. We don't have that right now, so that's our biggest need. I voted "something else" because HC/GM/OC/DC are all major needs. We need new management.
Old 11-20-2013   #53
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87776 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Finding the right GM/HC.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013   #54
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 100454 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

I went with QB with the caveat that I want to see how Keenum does the rest of the year. This is looking to be a pretty good draft class at that position so I wouldn't pass on one if Keenum looks like he's struggling.

After that, it's BPA all the way. This team has so many holes to fill that I don't see any need to reach for any particular position. WR and maybe TE are the only positions I see that are pretty solid.
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013   #55
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 102920 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post
In my post you might see the words a rt or a qb in whatever the order.

Frankly, I am sold on Matthews. I am undecided on the qbs and want to find out more. I agree with your concept entirely if we have a shot at the "right qb."

The otherside of the coin is...if you miss on a qb that high it sets your team back several seasons and typically means the end of a coaching regime.
Old 11-20-2013   #56
jaayteetx
Hall of Fame

Section: 623
Rep Power: 29696 jaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by powda View Post
In my post you might see the words a rt or a qb in whatever the order.

Frankly, I am sold on Matthews. I am undecided on the qbs and want to find out more. I agree with your concept entirely if we have a shot at the "right qb."

The otherside of the coin is...if you miss on a qb that high it sets your team back several seasons and typically means the end of a coaching regime.
Used to, but with the restructered rookie contracts, as long as you have a regime that recognizes failure, it doesn't have to.
Old 11-20-2013   #57
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 255440 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number19 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CretorFrigg View Post
3 to an UDFA QB's first start with a terrible supporting cast and his starting RB out.
Hold on. If the defense giving up 8 TDs in 3 games is bad, then why is it not good enough that Keenum has 8 TDs in 3.5 games? And the UDFA QB with no supporting cast and starting RB out? LOL

Don't answer, it was a rhetorical question.
Old 11-20-2013   #58
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 102920 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaayteetx View Post
as long as you have a regime that recognizes failure, it doesn't have to.
Dom and Gary couldnt. Hope the next one can. Your right though, salary wise it isnt what it used to be.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read