Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-19-2013   #101
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 195251 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: Lance Zerlein GOES OFF on the TEXANS!!!!!

I don't agree with LZ's rant. If that's what he thinks, that's what he thinks, but he doesn't need to be putting words into Andre Johnson's mouth. We have no idea what Andre's frustration level is, or who he's frustrated with. All we've got to go by is what he said.

I think it was a bad idea to go back to Matt Schaub, but as soon as it happened, I told my wife, "At least now we'll move the ball." Sorry, but I had no faith in Case Keenum getting us into scoring position. We had 41 total yards of offense in the second half of the Arizona game. Something like that against Indy, & I think 27 against Kansas City. On top of that, Case looked more timid than he had in the previous 3 games. He looked like a rookie taking 10+ yard sacks.

That said, never in a million years would I have put Matt Schaub in the game. Even if Case is injured (twisted ankle, or the wind knocked out of him, or something) Matt would have handed the ball off & we'd have punted. If Keenum is ready to go the next series, Keenum is getting back in the game.

Because if I'm Bob McNair, the only thing that's going to earn Gary Kubiak a reprieve is hope that there's a bright future for the Houston Texans & I've got to believe Gary is part of that. If he found Keenum, if he developed Keenum, if he was grooming him all along to be our starting QB, then I'm not going to lay this debacle at his feet. No one could have predicted Schaub would lose it the way he did, so fast, so completely.

But benching Case tells me finding him was as much a fluke as winning 12 games last season. Kubiak didn't "know" that Case could lead this franchise one day. Kubiak didn't "plan" to replace Schaub in 2014 if we had to. Maybe we had a better chance to win with Matt Schaub, but benching Case tells me Kubiak doesn't think we had a chance at all with Keenum & if that's the case, what do I need him for?

If Case is not the answer, I don't need someone hear to convince me to take a $10M cap hit for Matt Schaub. It's not going to happen. No way, no how. If Case is not the answer, I don't need (or want) Gary Kubiak picking the next QB for the Houston Texans. First he told me (Bob McNair) that he could win with David Carr.... admitted he was wrong. Then he told me he could win with Matt Schaub..... then admitted Schaub needed help from the defensive side of the ball... then tells me he needs more play-makers for Schaub... then Schaub comes unglued & no one can convince me (Bob McNair) Matt can win a Super Bowl.
Old 11-19-2013   #102
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 65775 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
I know you're upset that I like Johnny Football. If it makes you feel any better, I think Bob McNair should also interview Jimbo Fisher as a potential head coach. Jimbo reminds me of Jimmy Johnson.
I would not recommend Jimbo Fisher for an NFL coach. He's exactly like Kubiak in that he only has an offensive coordinator by name. He's had some suspect play calling over the years, gets too cute at times. Gets away from the running game if his team isn't killing the opponent about 70% of the time. He's also like Kubiak in that he is a QB guru first and foremost. He's also a screamer ala Nick Saban, and I don't think that works very well in the NFL. He is excellent with staff hires though and is an excellent recruiter. I wouldn't sign off on that hiring, even as a Seminole.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013   #103
Lord Bills
Destruction

Rep Power: 2290 Lord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I don't agree with LZ's rant. If that's what he thinks, that's what he thinks, but he doesn't need to be putting words into Andre Johnson's mouth. We have no idea what Andre's frustration level is, or who he's frustrated with. All we've got to go by is what he said.

I think it was a bad idea to go back to Matt Schaub, but as soon as it happened, I told my wife, "At least now we'll move the ball." Sorry, but I had no faith in Case Keenum getting us into scoring position. We had 41 total yards of offense in the second half of the Arizona game. Something like that against Indy, & I think 27 against Kansas City. On top of that, Case looked more timid than he had in the previous 3 games. He looked like a rookie taking 10+ yard sacks.

That said, never in a million years would I have put Matt Schaub in the game. Even if Case is injured (twisted ankle, or the wind knocked out of him, or something) Matt would have handed the ball off & we'd have punted. If Keenum is ready to go the next series, Keenum is getting back in the game.

Because if I'm Bob McNair, the only thing that's going to earn Gary Kubiak a reprieve is hope that there's a bright future for the Houston Texans & I've got to believe Gary is part of that. If he found Keenum, if he developed Keenum, if he was grooming him all along to be our starting QB, then I'm not going to lay this debacle at his feet. No one could have predicted Schaub would lose it the way he did, so fast, so completely.

But benching Case tells me finding him was as much a fluke as winning 12 games last season. Kubiak didn't "know" that Case could lead this franchise one day. Kubiak didn't "plan" to replace Schaub in 2014 if we had to. Maybe we had a better chance to win with Matt Schaub, but benching Case tells me Kubiak doesn't think we had a chance at all with Keenum & if that's the case, what do I need him for?

If Case is not the answer, I don't need someone hear to convince me to take a $10M cap hit for Matt Schaub. It's not going to happen. No way, no how. If Case is not the answer, I don't need (or want) Gary Kubiak picking the next QB for the Houston Texans. First he told me (Bob McNair) that he could win with David Carr.... admitted he was wrong. Then he told me he could win with Matt Schaub..... then admitted Schaub needed help from the defensive side of the ball... then tells me he needs more play-makers for Schaub... then Schaub comes unglued & no one can convince me (Bob McNair) Matt can win a Super Bowl.

answer this simple question honestly,

before case keenum ever took a snap for the texans, did we not have problems scoring in the 2nd half? Did we not have problems playing through all 4 quarters?
Lord Bills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013   #104
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 276022 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post

before case keenum ever took a snap for the texans, did we not have problems scoring in the 2nd half? Did we not have problems playing through all 4 quarters?
Depends which season you are talking about.
Old 11-19-2013   #105
texanhead08
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11275 texanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Yes we have 2 second half touchdowns during this losing streak. There was one against the Rams when the score was 38-6. I can't remember if that was before or after Schaub was hurt and there is the short field drive against Arizona. This offense has been a steaming pile of suck in the 2nd half for the past 2 months. Its not on Case its on Kubiak if you ask me.

Gary Kubiak
December 4,2011
texanhead08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013   #106
MEGA SWATT
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15515 MEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respected

Agree.
Old 11-19-2013   #107
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

if we are picking third taking johnny would be a HUGE gamble

if uhhh Jags and Minny take the two QB;sthen OBVS then best defense player or best Lineman will be on the board for us to take
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013   #108
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 195251 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I would not have benched Case.

However, with Case... not only did we have a problem scoring in the second half, we had a problem moving the ball. Against Oakland our offense was moving backwards.

It's possible our defense could have forced another turnover, within scoring distance. Perhaps they could have scored for us. Maybe we get another Special teams TD.

Old 11-20-2013   #109
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 146679 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

However, with Case... not only did we have a problem scoring in the second half, we had a problem moving the ball. Against Oakland our offense was moving backwards.

It's possible our defense could have forced another turnover, within scoring distance. Perhaps they could have scored for us. Maybe we get another Special teams TD.

My thought is the Texans either lose focus real easy or the other team knows what the Texans are going to do based on the first 15 scripted plays . There's a trend that the league has figured out . I guess the defense is the same way .
Old 11-20-2013   #110
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
My thought is the Texans either lose focus real easy or the other team knows what the Texans are going to do based on the first 15 scripted plays . There's a trend that the league has figured out . I guess the defense is the same way .
In all honesty, I think they don't realize how bad they are. Inevitably at some point they get complacent, think they're bada5ses, then they get popped in the mouth, run over, & a fat running back runs 80 yards to paydirt.
Old 11-20-2013   #111
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

It's funny that you put that on Case but none of that goes on half time adjustments or the coach you LOVE and want to keep trotting out despite him having the same issues for years and years now. Unreal. You are in some Bob McNair world of denial.

Last edited by HoustonFrog; 11-20-2013 at 10:33 AM.
HoustonFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013   #112
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 146679 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
In all honesty, I think they don't realize how bad they are. Inevitably at some point they get complacent, think they're bada5ses, then they get popped in the mouth, run over, & a fat running back runs 80 yards to paydirt.
Thiis is when they lost their mojo and it hasn't returned .

Old 11-20-2013   #113
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post
It's funny that you put that on Case but non of that goes on half time adjustments or the coach you LOVE and want to keep trotting out despite him having the same issues for years and years now. Unreal. You are in some Bob McNair world of denial.
You're right. My fault. I should have known when Kubiak drew up that 15 yard sack.
Old 11-20-2013   #114
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 173167 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
http://www.sports790.com/player/?mid=23984838

Talks about Ben Tate wishy washy comment, Kubiak, decision to go back to schaub....

I agree with everything he said.
Man, he's whiney.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013   #115
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 48117 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It's funny that you put that on Case but non of that goes on half time adjustments or the coach you LOVE and want to keep trotting out despite him having the same issues for years and years now. Unreal. You are in some Bob McNair world of denial.
Why defend case? Nobody is blaming him for anything in his control. He has done a great job, but he is in a difficult position due to inexperience and taking over an offense that is in shambles. Everyone agrees Kubiak is accountable for that. Clearly, in the current environment case is operating in, he is struggling in the second half... Nothing controversial about that statement.
Old 11-20-2013   #116
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
Why defend case? Nobody is blaming him for anything in his control. He has done a great job, but he is in a difficult position due to inexperience and taking over an offense that is in shambles. Everyone agrees Kubiak is accountable for that. Clearly, in the current environment case is operating in, he is struggling in the second half... Nothing controversial about that statement.
I'm not defending Case. I've never even said I am a fan of the kid. In fact I've barely posted on it at all. My point is that TK has this undying love for Kubiak despite being a coach that hasn't show much for most of his career here. He directs a pretty decent offense but has been too conservative and has been outcoached too many times. His best years, record wise, were after he had a real D-Coordinator that wasn't his friend forced upon him. The main point was TK is trying to say Schaub could get it done the second half vs Case and that the stats in second halves under Case prove this. Yet this team has under performed all year whether its Schaub(Mr. Pick 6 and FG producer extraordinaire) or Case and a big part of that is what adjustments the other teams D is making at half and how Gary counteracts that...which is to say he does nothing special. It's easy to see if you're not McNair or TK.

Quote:
You're right. My fault. I should have known when Kubiak drew up that 15 yard sack.
He doesn't draw them up, he puts the players in the position for them to happen by bad adjustments. But you'd never see that with your true love little Gary.
Old 11-20-2013   #117
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 173167 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vance87 View Post
Nice single stat ya picked out there, coulda gone with #26, #33, etc...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
I just gave you what the the NFL gave me. You asked, I obliged.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
You didn't give him anything other then some cherry picked stat you felt was good enough to just toss out there without an explanation attached. RG3 has seen a regression for the most part this season. He is going through growing pains and problems from missing pre season. He'll be fine in the long term and will be a great QB. But right now, he's been working through some rough patches
Now you fellas know that "Passing Yards" is the first stat both nfl.com and espn use to rack & stack QBs. If you wanna sort on anything else, you have to do that yourself.

Go back to your regularly scheduled discussion...
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013   #118
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 88913 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Gary needs to script the first 15 plays of the second half also
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013   #119
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:

He doesn't draw them up, he puts the players in the position for them to happen by bad adjustments. But you'd never see that with your true love little Gary.
& the flip side is what?

Let's assume Kubiak put Schaub in the game, because he wants to win. If that is true, then it doesn't make sense that he wouldn't make adjustments, that he was calling the game to make Case look bad.

Let's assume Kubiak was looking for any reason to get Schaub in the game. Why didn't he replace Keenum after the first snap of the Arizona game? Why didn't he replace Case when he threw the interception in Oakland, or the fumble, or one of the 10+ yard sacks? Why did he wait 'til we were down 2 scores in the second half?

If we're all being objective, why does Ben Tate or DeAndre Hopkins get credited with 7 points for the other team when they fumble the ball? Even when the defense had an opportunity to hold the other team to a field goal. But when Case fumbles a ball that is returned for a TD, it's not his fault, it's the RT, or the HC.

I said it was bad enough in our previous games that we did not move the ball in the second half of any game Keenum started. Against Oakland, at home the offense was going backwards.

Problem scoring in the second half, yes. That's a problem Kubiak led teams have had. Not moving the ball? Not so much. David Carr, Sage Rosenfels, Rex Grossman, Matt Lienart, Tj Yates, Dan Orlovsky... all moved the ball between the 20s with regularity when Kubiak is calling plays.
Old 11-21-2013   #120
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 49238 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
I would not recommend Jimbo Fisher for an NFL coach. He's exactly like Kubiak in that he only has an offensive coordinator by name. He's had some suspect play calling over the years, gets too cute at times. Gets away from the running game if his team isn't killing the opponent about 70% of the time. He's also like Kubiak in that he is a QB guru first and foremost. He's also a screamer ala Nick Saban, and I don't think that works very well in the NFL. He is excellent with staff hires though and is an excellent recruiter. I wouldn't sign off on that hiring, even as a Seminole.
and yet in spite of all these short comings FSU is 10-0, amazing, and Fisher is 41-10. A screamer disciplinarian like Saban, aka like Belichick, Parcels, Johnson, Lombardi, Cowher. Sounds just like a coach Bob McNair needs to talk to.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read