Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-18-2013   #21
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 162318 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Lance Zerlein GOES OFF on the TEXANS!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
I have been asking this question for weeks. Does this offense even have a "max protect" package in it?

The WCO has traditionally been a blitz killer. So it is baffling why they are unable to burn a defense who is constantly sending so many defenders.
We're clearly running some version or variation of it that is completely understood by defenses all over the NFL. I think the same could be said for Wade's game too. These two old dogs are old news in todays game and their systems aren't fooling anyone.
Old 11-18-2013   #22
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 114256 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
We're clearly running some version or variation of it that is completely understood by defenses all over the NFL. I think the same could be said for Wade's game too. These two old dogs are old news in todays game and their systems aren't fooling anyone.
Hmmm ....

Quote:
Eagles defensive end Fletcher Cox, who pressured Griffin into a game-ending interception, told CSNPhilly.com that Washington’s tendencies on offense were predictable enough that he was able to say what they were doing on some plays before they snapped the ball.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...at-was-coming/
Old 11-18-2013   #23
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 78404 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
I think it is suffice to say that Kubiak's understanding of the offense X and Os far exceeds the knowledge of anyone here on this message board. I have never had a problem with the X and Os of Gary's passing offense.
I think it's safe to say that every Defensive Coordinator this team has faced this season has had a better grasp of the weaknesses in Kubiak's system.
Old 11-18-2013   #24
CretorFrigg
Fire Rick Smith

Rep Power: 23062 CretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respected

I said the same thing on this message board. Totally agree with Lance.
Old 11-18-2013   #25
tvaughan
Rookie

Rep Power: 3383 tvaughan is a quality contributor and well respectedtvaughan is a quality contributor and well respectedtvaughan is a quality contributor and well respectedtvaughan is a quality contributor and well respectedtvaughan is a quality contributor and well respectedtvaughan is a quality contributor and well respectedtvaughan is a quality contributor and well respectedtvaughan is a quality contributor and well respectedtvaughan is a quality contributor and well respectedtvaughan is a quality contributor and well respectedtvaughan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think it is suffice to say that Kubiak's understanding of the offense X and Os far exceeds the knowledge of anyone here on this message board.
I don't think anyone doubts this. So much so that it need not even be said nor is it relevant.

We are talking about decision-making here. Not knowledge of Xs and Os.

If you want fans to have no opinions and blow off talking about football because, "they know more than me" I am pretty confident you are in the wrong place.
tvaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013   #26
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

I didn't have no problem with kubes putting in schaub Case was stinking it up IMO
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013   #27
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 162318 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post
I didn't have no problem with kubes putting in schaub Case was stinking it up IMO
Yeah I understand but you're "Norg".
Old 11-18-2013   #28
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
case is like 0-4 jus saying im all about WINS

what if case goes 0-10 then obvs Him and matt both suck
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013   #29
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1297 281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected

Couldn't agree more with LZ here. I don't care if you like him or not, he's 100% dead-on.

-Ben Franklin
281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013   #30
Lord Bills
Destruction

Rep Power: 440 Lord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
its ok guys, keenum was able to fake spike it. our offensive system is up to date according to some posters here.

what has shanahan really done ever since john elway retired? even his jake plummer led broncos were completely dominated in the playoffs.

Sound familiar?

Its been a long time since those elway bronco glory days. The NFL has evolved. Kubiak and shanhan refuse to because their "system" is a big selling point for their resume and future job status.

They will never admit that their philosophy/system is outdated and needs to adjust and evolve with the times. Same thing with wade and his D. His track record of fixing defenses then totally cratering off the cliff after the first couple years is well documented.

You need an up to date coach who is open minded to the new approaches to the game. Kubiak and wade philipps is from the old school generation where its their way or the highway. They look down on new methods because its a threat to how they do things in their time.

That's the sign of a hard headed arrogant head coach who doesnt like to evolve with the times. You can see it with our restrictive audible system and the lack of the no huddle.

The complete opposite would be bill belicheck, who even in all of his glory found a way to update and evolve with the times when he instituted parts of chip kelly's fast no huddle offense.

One coach has multiple superbowl rings and found a way to evolve and improve with the times, while one coach who has really not done anything of note as a head coach stays close minded, arrogant refusing to change with the times.
Lord Bills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013   #31
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 35979 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It's not our fault. We're up against it where the cap is concerned. Maybe we can sign more exclamation marks next year if we can get some of the other punctuation to restructure.
I am more concerned with the question marks.

Old 11-18-2013   #32
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56771 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Now there's two statements that probably have never before, and probably never will again occupy the same sentence.
Old 11-18-2013   #33
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 209247 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yes there is, it says, "I feel your pain".
Yeah, I think as a fan base we collectively feel the pain. For many of us old Houston football fans, it has a weird familiarity about it, too.

Unfortunately, it often gets taken out on each other. Even when people are in agreement they take exception to minor details.

Quote:
I think it is suffice to say that Kubiak's understanding of the offense X and Os far exceeds the knowledge of anyone here on this message board. I have never had a problem with the X and Os Gary's passing offense. Alex Gibbs fixed the X and Os of the running game. (now in deterioration since his departure) Kubiak's laminated sheet likely has many plays and assignments that Keenum may not be familiar with, O Oline assignments Case may not know or understand. Plays Kubiak wanted to go to to get them out of the 3 and out rut. I still trust Kubiak as an OC more than anyone here.

That said I don't have the same confidence in Kubiak's X and Os for the Defense, or Special Teams, the X and Os of Salary Cap Management, X and Os of talent evaluation and the X and Os the NFL Draft Prep and Operation.
I generally agree about Kubiak's offensive acumen. I have often pointed out Shanahan's admittance that Denver won back-to-back Super Bowls with Kubiak calling plays for both seasons.

However, that said, schemes need to evolve. They need to adapt to the talent available and adjust to different defenses every week. It often feels like Kubiak has that sort of old school Lombardi attitude that "this is what we do and if we execute well nobody can beat us".

I think Kubiak doomed himself with undying loyalty to his QB. I won't put it all on Matt, but dude never had a challenger for his job since he arrived here. And there is absolutely no doubt that the QB is crucial to a team's success from year to year more than any other position. The FO failure to put the best o-line out there to protect an immobile QB did him no favors. And expecting Schaub to consistently be clutch for wins is foolish. He's just not that kind of QB. He's done it from time to time, but he's far from a Captain Comeback guy.

Quote:
I often wonder this season if Schaub's two 4000 yard seasons ultimately became a blueprint for both sides. A blueprint for Kubiak to believe that we just need to keep doing it, and a blueprint for opposing defenses to study and figure it out.

Richard Sherman said it was easy to figure out based on film he watched, not just from this season but from past seasons, as well. He timed it perfect based on tendencies that he saw consistently repeated from year to year. He did not say it in a demeaning way, but rather a very analytical way.
Old 11-18-2013   #34
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 22354 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by disaacks3 View Post
I think it's safe to say that every Defensive Coordinator this team has faced this season has had a better grasp of the weaknesses in Kubiak's system.
some of that may have to do with the Texans are not the same team of 2011 and have taken a step back every since instead of a step forward.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013   #35
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 22354 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvaughan View Post
I don't think anyone doubts this. So much so that it need not even be said nor is it relevant.

We are talking about decision-making here. Not knowledge of Xs and Os.

If you want fans to have no opinions and blow off talking about football because, "they know more than me" I am pretty confident you are in the wrong place.
where is the incense?
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013   #36
Sigma
Veteran

Rep Power: 13130 Sigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by from the audio file
that is the stupidest thing I have ever heard someone say
this guy doesn't know enough stupid people if that is the stupidest thing he has ever heard
Old 11-18-2013   #37
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10234 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

lol what a rant
Old 11-18-2013   #38
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28847 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

It's not all about wins. Schaub is done here so there is no reason to continue to play him. Keenum is young and could be the future QB. I would like to see Keenum audition for the job for next year and benching him vs. Oakland took away from that.
JCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013   #39
Vance87
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 44848 Vance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Was any team in the playoffs last year afraid of our 12 wins?
Old 11-18-2013   #40
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28847 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vance87 View Post
Was any team in the playoffs last year afraid of our 12 wins?
Outside of Cincinnati? Probably not.
JCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read