Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-12-2013   #81
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 123706 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: If you were JJ Watt, would you stay?

How else did the franchise-tag rules change?

Teams can continuously franchise players, but it'll cost them to do that. As had been the case previously, a player tagged a second straight year would have his number set at 120 percent of the previous figure. A third straight year? That's where things change, and the percentage goes up to 144.

Here's an example: Drew Brees' franchise tag number is estimated to be a relatively affordable $14.4 million this year. If he's tagged a second straight time, it'd cost the Saints, based on the estimates, $17.28 million. In Year 3, because of the change, the number goes all the way to $24.88 million. That means Brees gains some leverage in negotiating a long-term deal, in that the tag numbers add up to about $56.6 million over three years, or nearly $19 million per.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...ned-for-reason
Old 11-17-2013   #82
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 21983 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Guys, in all seriousness, there is no way JJ stays here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013   #83
Trap_Star
SiteContributor

Rep Power: 35118 Trap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respected

In related news, AJ will also not be a Texan....20 year's from now.
Trap_Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013   #84
fiasco west
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14152 fiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonspartan View Post

This ain't the NBA.

JJ Watt is not bolting to play in a bigger market or to play with Von Miller and Patrick Willis as they go to South Beach.

When is the last time a young franchise type player left a team? Only because his old team did not want to pay him. That is usually the only reason.
Old 11-17-2013   #85
MannyFresh
El Capitan

Rep Power: 398 MannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I agree, wow he could go home to Green Bay, talk about being in beast mode, he'd absolutely would destroy there.
Old 11-17-2013   #86
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 21983 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiasco west View Post
This ain't the NBA.

JJ Watt is not bolting to play in a bigger market or to play with Von Miller and Patrick Willis as they go to South Beach.

When is the last time a young franchise type player left a team? Only because his old team did not want to pay him. That is usually the only reason.
Um, he's going to get paid regardless of where he goes.

houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013   #87
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

the only way we Keep JJ WATT here is if we go back to a 4-3 there is no way we make a DE in a 3-4 the highest paied player in a 3-4 the elite ones the ones that win SB's are the OLB's there supposed to be the ones that are the Sack masters
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013   #88
TexanBacker93
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11283 TexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think this is all a little premature. Has he ever given an indication that he's looking to leave as soon as he can? I could see it in 2 more years if we continue like we are, but he's experienced more winning than losing in his career.

I don't think it will ever come down to a Kubiak goes or I go situation. There is no way he keeps his job after this season.
TexanBacker93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013   #89
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69328 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Um, he's going to get paid regardless of where he goes.

No crap..

The only difference is Houston is the only team that can offer him that contract before he reaches FA.. and since this isn't the NBA and is the NFL where careers and lives can change on any given snap.. he isn't going to turn it down.

He can get paid anywhere, but players (especially players along the trenches) in the NFL don't want to leave it up to chance.

J.J. Watt isn't going anywhere.. I just hope he enjoys playing for his next coach.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013   #90
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 123706 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

There is no way Watt is going anywhere for at least three years unless Texans allow it. He is under contract for 2014 & we can tag him for two. Let's meet then, same bat time, same bat station.
Old 11-18-2013   #91
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69328 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post
the only way we Keep JJ WATT here is if we go back to a 4-3 there is no way we make a DE in a 3-4 the highest paid player in a 3-4 the elite ones the ones that win SB's are the OLB's there supposed to be the ones that are the Sack masters
Even if we stay in the 3-4 we'll make him the highest paid player, because he isn't your run of the mill 3-4 end. When you record the most defeats in a season then you get paid.. regardless of your position. Who gives a crap if he's a OLBer or not. He's already putting up those type of numbers from his position and as long as he keeps putting up those numbers he'll get paid.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read