Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: What is most pressing need for next season? (Player personnel only)
Quarterback 36 32.43%
Offensive line 46 41.44%
Linebackers 10 9.01%
Secondary 1 0.90%
Placekicker 0 0%
Something else 18 16.22%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-17-2013   #21
TexanBacker93
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17176 TexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Highest 2014 priority

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
Coaching makes a huge difference...look at the saints....garbage last year, payton comes back and they're a SB favorite.
Chiefs, too. They haven't played the toughest schedule, but they've won.

As for players: RT, ILB, S, G, CB, K, OLB
TexanBacker93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013   #22
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 26584 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

QB. We'll have the chance to draft a franchise caliber QB and even if he doesn't pan out, you have to take the risk because of the potential payoff. This is a QB driven league and if we can get the next Luck, Russell, or RG III you must take that risk.
Old 11-17-2013   #23
Number19
All Pro

Rep Power: 22903 Number19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respected

I went with "something else" for the simple reason that we have too many "pressing needs" to narrow it down to only one.

We need another safety behind Keo, Swearinger and Manning. We need a CB. I'm assuming Brennan Williams will not come back 100% but I'm going to assume David Quessenberry will contribute next season. Many say his best position is OG. We have to get one more season out of Wade Smith. So we need an OT. We have Trevardo Williams in the wings at OLB, but we're not getting sacks from outside. We need another OLB. Mays, Tarpinian & Tuggle are adequate, but we need a beast at ILB. And we need consistent push from our NT, so we need an upgrade here.

So our most pressing needs are at OT, NT, ILB, OLB, CB and S.

We're going to have a high draft pick and a lot of fans say we need to go QB. But we need a serious upgrade in overall talent and I can't see this happening in less than two years unless we trade our #1 for additional picks. Even doing this we will need to spend the money, if we can free up cap space, for one, maybe two, quality free agents.

The best I can do is to narrow our needs down to the two most pressing and I would say these are OT and CB. Really good CB's are hard to find in later rounds. Going CB in the 1st round would pay dividends; and OT with our high #2.
Number19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013   #24
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number19 View Post
I went with "something else" for the simple reason that we have too many "pressing needs" to narrow it down to only one.

We need another safety behind Keo, Swearinger and Manning. We need a CB. I'm assuming Brennan Williams will not come back 100% but I'm going to assume David Quessenberry will contribute next season. Many say his best position is OG. We have to get one more season out of Wade Smith. So we need an OT. We have Trevardo Williams in the wings at OLB, but we're not getting sacks from outside. We need another OLB. Mays, Tarpinian & Tuggle are adequate, but we need a beast at ILB. And we need consistent push from our NT, so we need an upgrade here.

So our most pressing needs are at OT, NT, ILB, OLB, CB and S.

We're going to have a high draft pick and a lot of fans say we need to go QB. But we need a serious upgrade in overall talent and I can't see this happening in less than two years unless we trade our #1 for additional picks. Even doing this we will need to spend the money, if we can free up cap space, for one, maybe two, quality free agents.

The best I can do is to narrow our needs down to the two most pressing and I would say these are OT and CB. Really good CB's are hard to find in later rounds. Going CB in the 1st round would pay dividends; and OT with our high #2.
if we got Quessenberry and Williams waiting in the wings and newton just going on his what 3rd year how is tackle our most pressing need

and Jackson and JJO are still here so CB isn't much a need its just we would like to upgrade them but we don't have the luxuary of going with what we "LIKE"

and u give all this help to the Def I think our Offensive and special teams needs a lot of help 2

if we are pick in the top 5 we def need a Corner stone player and if there is no one there we like we trade down but man I think if your picking in the top 5 u gotta roll the dice on a QB or a Super star DEF player
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013   #25
hradhak
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 6498 hradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respected

OT

There's no point in getting a QB if you can't protect anyone. Keenum has played well enough to this point that I think with experience and an offseason with a new coach he will be fine. We need a tackle to protect him and get him to learn to speed up his reads.
hradhak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013   #26
Number19
All Pro

Rep Power: 22903 Number19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post
if we got Quessenberry and Williams waiting in the wings and newton just going on his what 3rd year how is tackle our most pressing need...
Williams injury is very serious, with C&D saying the chances of a full recovery quite low. I'm projecting Quiz to OG. That leaves Newton's ORT spot.

Quote:
...and Jackson and JJO are still here so CB isn't much a need its just we would like to upgrade them but we don't have the luxuary of going with what we "LIKE"...
Jackson and Joseph are OK. Let them battle it out for the second CB position. We need a shut down corner, which you usually only find at the top half of the 1st.
Quote:
...and u give all this help to the Def I think our Offensive and special teams needs a lot of help 2
I'm good at TE, WR, OC, LT, LG, QB, & FB. We need another RB, but it is not a top priority. That leaves the right side of the line.
Old 11-17-2013   #27
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number19 View Post
Williams injury is very serious, with C&D saying the chances of a full recovery quite low. I'm projecting Quiz to OG. That leaves Newton's ORT spot.

Jackson and Joseph are OK. Let them battle it out for the second CB position. We need a shut down corner, which you usually only find at the top half of the 1st.
I'm good at TE, WR, OC, LT, LG, QB, & FB. We need another RB, but it is not a top priority. That leaves the right side of the line.
Ur fine with Wade smith that dude needs to retire and is one of the main reasons we are 2-8 right now I disagree with that strongly

I think Owen will be gone so unless griffin steps up huge we need two TE's that's what we miss that Two TE set

good thing tho we have some Guards and a Center waiting in the wings but those are KUbes Guys so I don't know if the new coach will even care about those players

I just think a Franchise QB will fix a lot of those problems But I don't know whos out there nor who the New coach or Kubes would want

Case can stay maybe but in this league we need TWO star QB's
Old 11-17-2013   #28
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 89407 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

Plenty of qbs have failed with good ol's. Even more have failed with bad ol's. Lets learn from the carr debacle. Gimme a rt or a qb in rounds 1 and 2...whatever the order. I want the best possible talent at those positions.
Old 11-17-2013   #29
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 247537 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I think it's pretty obvious that a new coach and staff are the change that must happen first but I chose offensive line because I think that the line is in really bad shape and has been for a while now. Whoever ends up coaching this mess next season is going to have to rebuild and unless they're complete morons that means building the lines first.

Only a fool drafts a franchise QB without lining up an effective group of linemen to block for him so spare me the stupid "If you have a chance to draft a franchise QB you MUST DO IT!" arguments. Every year there's a new bunch of franchise QB's ready to come out and set the league on fire. Every year most of them don't do much and some of that is because they go to dysfunctional franchises that are too stupid to understand that you have to get a line in place before you put the expensive new QB toy behind it.

If this franchise hasn't learned that then what's the point of any of it really? I hope even a team as screwed up as Bob McNair's could remember what it did just 12 years ago.

Start drafting linemen. Build an impenetrable wall of very big, very fast, very smart men and the rest will be easy no matter what system your new head coach wants to run.
Old 11-17-2013   #30
bhsman
All Pro

Rep Power: 15546 bhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respected

I went with Quarterback, whether that means drafting a franchise QB like Mariota or Manziel, or having Keenum improve. Would prefer the former, though.
bhsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013   #31
Fili
All Pro

Rep Power: 3890 Fili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respected

Definitely O-line. In 2011 it made everyone look good. Schaub looked great. Arian was fantastic. Ben Tate had 900 yards of rushing. I think O-line is top priority after watching the Raiders game. Too many false starts and players missing assignments.
Old 11-17-2013   #32
Norg
Hall of Fame

if we go Oline then we deff need to get the HOT Vet F/A QB on the market next year

Kellen Clemens I guess has a stop gap QB LOL
Old 11-18-2013   #33
sandmanx
Veteran

Rep Power: 797 sandmanx is a quality contributor and well respectedsandmanx is a quality contributor and well respectedsandmanx is a quality contributor and well respectedsandmanx is a quality contributor and well respectedsandmanx is a quality contributor and well respectedsandmanx is a quality contributor and well respectedsandmanx is a quality contributor and well respectedsandmanx is a quality contributor and well respectedsandmanx is a quality contributor and well respectedsandmanx is a quality contributor and well respectedsandmanx is a quality contributor and well respected

As far as players, Oline needs to be addressed first. After that the secondary needs some serious attention.

One thing that is for sure is there will be a lot of turnover in the offseason. I hope that Bob realizes it's time to clean house AND get a quality GM in here to hire a good coach to turn this trainwreck around.
sandmanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013   #34
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56462 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

It's offensive line and it isn't even close. Linebacker is a clear second, though. Only two votes? LOL.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013   #35
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81923 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Bridgewater is the only QB I'd take in the top 5. If we don't have the #1 pick then he will probably be gone. If that's the case then we should go another direction and go QB in the 2nd round.

We need to cut Schaub and bring in a new QB to battle with Keenum next year. Of course, none of this is relevant if we don't fire the entire coaching staff. Every one of them.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013   #36
Norg
Hall of Fame

I already know right now Us and the jags are deceiving a plan to unite to take down the COLTS meaning we will help each other since we will prob be #1 and #2 in the draft MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

THE JAGUAR AND BULL WILL UNITE TO FORM VOLTRON !!!!!!!! a BULL Kitty hybrid
Old 11-18-2013   #37
Number19
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post
Ur fine with Wade smith that dude needs to retire and is one of the main reasons we are 2-8 right now I disagree with that strongly...
Just how many picks do you think we have in the draft? How much cap space? If you read my posts you will see I wrote we need one more year out of Smith. He is not a high priority on the OL, but he's experienced and servicable, and he and Brown knows each other's play.
Old 11-18-2013   #38
Brandon420tx
Flounder

Rep Power: 13034 Brandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Brandon420tx

I don't think the next regime will keep Case Keenum, but I do this he has played well enough that he'll get a job offer from another team somewhere. So I'm going to pick Quarterback to hopefully go with a new front office staff. Hopefully they let the new guy watch Matt Schaub take hits all next season.
Old 11-18-2013   #39
sometexansfan
Blue Bomber

Rep Power: 142 sometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon420tx View Post
I don't think the next regime will keep Case Keenum, but I do this he has played well enough that he'll get a job offer from another team somewhere. So I'm going to pick Quarterback to hopefully go with a new front office staff. Hopefully they let the new guy watch Matt Schaub take hits all next season.
NO!!!
sometexansfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013   #40
Brandon420tx
Flounder

Rep Power: 13034 Brandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Brandon420tx

You are right, he'd just go fetal

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read