Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 11-15-2013   #41
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: If we get a top 5 pick...

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigeztx View Post
The biggest hole a team can have is at qb. Its easy to say there is only 1 franchise qb,but u better be right or you're doomed for awhile. I think the texans need to think long term when talking franchise qbs. Drafting a qb or any other player is risky. Remember when aaron curry was the safe pick? Your franchise fortunes rests on the player who touches the ball the most.
Aaron Curry?
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013   #42
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigeztx View Post
The biggest hole a team can have is at qb. Its easy to say there is only 1 franchise qb,but u better be right or you're doomed for awhile. I think the texans need to think long term when talking franchise qbs. Drafting a qb or any other player is risky. Remember when aaron curry was the safe pick? Your franchise fortunes rests on the player who touches the ball the most.
So who is your franchise QB this year?

We agreed that there was none last year, only potential.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013   #43
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
Jake Matthews would be my choice. We would be set at LT and RT for the next 5 years between him and Duane.
This.

Love me some Duane Brown, but the big guy's been scaring the sht out of me all year long. Maybe we get lucky & Brown regains form, then we've got a solid RT & this team with a solid OL should be able to go a long way with a healthy Foster, Andre, Hopkins..... & Case.

Speaking of Case, Kubiak created a top 5 offense with a 3rd round back-up & an All-Pro Wider Receiver. As long as Keenum doesn't start playing scared (which he shouldn't with a solid RT) the offense will be fine.

With that said, if there's a QB worthy of a top 5 pick, I wouldn't be opposed to taking him. Provided there isn't an equally worthy player we could use. Luck, Griffin, Newton, even Stafford... Phillip Rivers, I'd have a hard time passing them up.

But as far as I know, no one is talking about this current crop of QBs like those guys.
Old 11-15-2013   #44
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniJen View Post
I think we go for a QB regardless of what Keenum looks like the rest of the season because you can never have too many quarterbacks.

This draft is essential in determining whether or not we go back up quickly or stay in mediocre land for a couple more years.
I still think a solid RT would take this team to another level.
Old 11-15-2013   #45
bhsman
All Pro

Rep Power: 13423 bhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respected

I think the big difference is whether Matthews is a generational talent at RT. If our record means a shot at a guy like Clowney and still allows us to get a top 5 of round 2 RT, then the answer is obvious to me.
bhsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013   #46
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 171454 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhsman View Post
I think the big difference is whether Matthews is a generational talent at RT. If our record means a shot at a guy like Clowney and still allows us to get a top 5 of round 2 RT, then the answer is obvious to me.
Clowney is an intriguing prospect without a doubt .... but damn he has some question marks that come along with him. If I'm picking top 5 , I want a player with as few questions surrounding him as possible while having loads of potential.

He's gone missing in action in several games on top of those question marks. I don't touch the guy in the top 5.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013   #47
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 104085 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
Clowney is an intriguing prospect without a doubt .... but damn he has some question marks that come along with him. If I'm picking top 5 , I want a player with as few questions surrounding him as possible while having loads of potential.

He's gone missing in action in several games on top of those question marks. I don't touch the guy in the top 5.
This. He seems like the guy who only shows up in a contract year. I'd much rather have Barr than Clowney.
htownfan32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013   #48
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 123706 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhsman View Post
Many will disagree with you on Clowney and part of problem is there probably will not be excellent type RT after round one. Matthews, Lewan, Richardson, Kouandijo & Erving should be gone in first and maybe Scherff who I have not watched. His 2012 leg injury is a concern. If you are going to skip OT in first, I would wait for JuWuan James in 4th who has played RT for years and is equivalent to those rated above him like Hurst, Collins and Henderson. The risk of waiting is like with my 3rd rounder NT Ryan Carrethers; if you wait you better get whom you want later.
Old 11-15-2013   #49
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72184 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Many will disagree with you on Clowney and part of problem is there probably will not be excellent type RT after round one. Matthews, Lewan, Richardson, Kouandijo & Erving should be gone in first and maybe Scherff who I have not watched. His 2012 leg injury is a concern. If you are going to skip OT in first, I would wait for JuWuan James in 4th who has played RT for years and is equivalent to those rated above him like Hurst, Collins and Henderson. The risk of waiting is like with my 3rd rounder NT Ryan Carrethers; if you wait you better get whom you want later.
How would you feel if they took

rd.1 Clowney
rd.2 Christian Jones
rd.3 Carrethers
rd,4 Moses or James

Even if they had to trade up to get the RT?
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013   #50
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 28016 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Whichever QB whomever is in charge likes best, not named Carr. The NFL is a quarterback driven league and that ain't changing. Let Case and the new guy compete in camp, pick the winner and move on. With the new rookie cap deal trading a 1st round pick shouldn't be difficult if the rookie loses out to Case.

Cloneny scares me. When he flashes he's amazing, but he looks mediocre for long stretches.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013   #51
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 171454 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
How would you feel if they took

rd.1 Clowney
rd.2 Christian Jones
rd.3 Carrethers
rd,4 Moses or James

Even if they had to trade up to get the RT?
No .... but I would take a QB with that #1 pick instead of Clowney if I knew I could get Jones one of Shelton or Carrethers and one of Moses or James.

But I would prefer RT , ILB , NT , RB(or DB).

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013   #52
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21345 aussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

i think it comes down to who do you think will impact the team most short and long term.
for me its down to mosley, matthews and barr. I'm leaning to mosley i think he would be a huge improvement to the defence starting next year plus has the potential to be an elite 10year ILB.

Matthews at RT solidifies the line and if after several years moves to LT the long term future of the line looks excellent. but how much does he improve the team in the next 2-3 years?

Barr would improve our OLB but i'm not down on Reed and mercilus as some are.
They pressure the QB a lot and force hurries just need to get some more sacks but imo they are not playing badly and maybe its a product of the system. So again how much is barr really going to improve your team over the likes for matthews and mosley.

Also i see no elite QBs in this draft and I'm willing to give keenum a shot next year to show me what he really has. So i would be against taking a QB just for because we will be picking inside the top 10

Last edited by aussie_texan; 11-16-2013 at 09:55 PM. Reason: grammar
aussie_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013   #53
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72184 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
No .... but I would take a QB with that #1 pick instead of Clowney if I knew I could get Jones one of Shelton or Carrethers and one of Moses or James.

But I would prefer RT , ILB , NT , RB(or DB).
I'm not real high on this QB class, next yrs class with Hogan/Petty/Winston is when I would start looking for a QB. By then they will know whether Keenum is the future.
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013   #54
bhsman
All Pro

Rep Power: 13423 bhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm still high on Clowney; there are a lot of talented tackles that will drop to the second round that we can grab instead.
bhsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013   #55
BigBull
Veteran

Rep Power: 3148 BigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie_texan View Post
i think it comes down to who do you think will impact the team most short and long term.
for me its down to mosley, matthews and barr. I'm leaning to mosley i think he would be a huge improvement to the defence starting next year plus has the potential to be an elite 10year ILB.

Matthews at RT solidifies the line and if after several years moves to LT the long term future of the line looks excellent. but how much does he improve the team in the next 2-3 years?

Barr would improve our OLB but i'm not down on Reed and mercilus as some are.
They pressure to QB a lot and force hurries just need to get some sacks more but imo they are not playing badly and maybe its a product of the system. So again how much his he really going to improve your team over the likes for matthews and mosley.

Also i see no elite QBs in this draft and I'm willing to give keenum a shot next year to show me what he really has. So i would be against taking a QB just for because we will be picking inside the top 10
I agree with you that there isn't an elite QB in this draft. Also I think Mosley would be a beast.

Sent from the future...
BigBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013   #56
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie_texan View Post
If this team could run the ball like we did in 2011, this season would have been so different. Not to absolve Matt from anything, but we all knew he was not an elite QB, that we would not win a Super Bowl on the strength of Matt's arm. But that he could could help us if we had an elite running game... which would keep our defense off the field & help them perform closer to their 2011 form.

If case turns out to be who we want him to be, an elite OT take us to that other level.
Old 11-17-2013   #57
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 78537 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
If this team could run the ball like we did in 2011, this season would have been so different. Not to absolve Matt from anything, but we all knew he was not an elite QB, that we would not win a Super Bowl on the strength of Matt's arm. But that he could could help us if we had an elite running game... which would keep our defense off the field & help them perform closer to their 2011 form.

If case turns out to be who we want him to be, an elite OT take us to that other level.
this about sums it up for me.

i'd also like to agree with several others that if you're in the top 5, dont swing for the fence on a guy with question marks - especially regarding desire or motor. clowney isnt an option for me. i also love a pedigree, matthews obviously being my selection even if we're picking first. there's no such thing as a sure thing, but if i can land what is almost certainly a 10-15 year starter at an important position there's no way i pass it up.
Old 11-17-2013   #58
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 48657 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
So who is your franchise QB this year?
"Johnny TEXAN"
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013   #59
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't believe it's if. I think it's when at this point.

Texans have been spinning their wheels thinking slow and steady was going to win the race.

They suck.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013   #60
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 45091 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
"Johnny TEXAN"
how about Johnny Texian

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read