Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 11-15-2013   #21
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 160949 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: BL 2014 Trade Down Mock Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhsman View Post
Say no more.
I review many sources and McShay is one of them and so is John McClain. It is up to me what to believe and how I should use the info.
Old 11-15-2013   #22
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Todd McShay really likes him but I cannot understand why he does not get more sacks. If he were more in the mould of Nix I would happily let him clog the lanes. His total tackles are decent but only 2.5 per games which compares with Nix who has missed two games.
I don't think his 2012 arrest for fighting after leaving a bar will move him down much if any and he is known to have a motor. I think I would rather go for Sheldon or Carrethers later in draft for similar impact.

Cool back story of his adoption: http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/...ed-for-success
Nice link, good find BB.

My approach will be to add value, through trading down, while seeking potentialy best player available. Ra'Shede Hageman has Poe potential X2. Fact he is scheme diverse is something of great value & interest to Wade Phillips. He plays a lot of four man fronts, not just three & either way Hageman is a three down lineman which is what I feel Texans should target not just a run plugger up the middle. He needs to be supremely athletic same time. I've watched him get super low & drive three guys back off the goaline, chase down a RB, swatt passes & block kicks. Not much around him @ Minnesota, sound familar?

Also expect Wade Phillips to remain with the Texans. Not so sure about rest of staff, although there are some good ones like Joseph. Could be wrong but retaining Phillips should help in keeping Watt if they add some weapons around him.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013   #23
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57885 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Todd McShay really likes him but I cannot understand why he does not get more sacks.
A friendly word of advice, be very very careful following any Todd McShay advice or recommendations. IMHO Todd McShay is one of the very worst talent evaluators in the media. McShay is a talking head not a draft scout.

IE: while announcing the Cotton Bowl McShay emphatically said that Jr. Jevan Snead was a definite 1st RD draft pick. Snead left school early was never drafted and never made a NFL 53 man roster.

McShay is the reason that I dropped my ESPN subscription to ESPN INsider. It was a a subscription to a lot of wrong and bad information.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013   #24
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
A friendly word of advice, be very very careful following any Todd McShay advice or recommendations. IMHO Todd McShay is one of the very worst talent evaluators in the media. McShay is a talking head not a draft scout.

IE: while announcing the Cotton Bowl McShay emphatically said that Jr. Jevan Snead was a definite 1st RD draft pick. Snead left school early was never drafted and never made a NFL 53 man roster.

McShay is the reason that I dropped my ESPN subscription to ESPN INsider. It was a a subscription to a lot of wrong and bad information.
McShay is the hair apparent to Mel Kipper

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013   #25
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57885 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
McShay is the hair apparent to Mel Kipper
and ESPN will be the worse for it.
Old 11-16-2013   #26
bhsman
All Pro

Rep Power: 15546 bhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respected

McShay is also the one who talked up Clausen and Gabbert, for what it's worth.
bhsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013   #27
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post

Just do the exact opposite of what he says then, LOL.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013   #28
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67501 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
4. James Wilder. I don't get it man. Everyone loves this guy and I have no idea why. He's a physical specimen for sure. But Devonta Freeman is a much more polished RB and has always been ahead of him in the RB rotation. Also, Karlos Williams, a converted Safety, has jumped into the backup RB role and is taking snaps from Wilder. He's also been more successful. IMO, Wilder would have been better off playing LB in college because that's where his future was.
I get why people love Wilder, he's a physical specimen like you said and he works hard. He never gives up. You're right that Freeman is way more polished and versatile, but I don't see Freeman coming out this year. I think he'll stay. Wilder is probably going to come out because he isn't the starter and like you said Williams is going to take even more of his snaps.

He couldn't have been better than the linebackers we've had, I think that was why he stuck to RB. Apparently, he was one heck of a linebacker in HS.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013   #29
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 307979 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhsman View Post
McShay is also the one who talked up Clausen and Gabbert, for what it's worth.
That was Kiper who had Clausen at #4th overall -- McShay didn't have him in his top 25. But they both suck, and they're more news gatherers than talent evaluators. And teams lie to them all the time.

Equally Inaccurate: An Analysis of Mel Kiper Jr. and Todd McShay’s Draft Rankings
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013   #30
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 97947 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
That was Kiper who had Clausen at #4th overall -- McShay didn't have him in his top 25. But they both suck, and they're more news gatherers than talent evaluators. And teams lie to them all the time.

Equally Inaccurate: An Analysis of Mel Kiper Jr. and Todd McShay’s Draft Rankings
The difference between them is that Kiper actually has legitimate sources and contacts around the league who clue him in to rising players, sleepers, etc. He works year around researching and gathering information on every player for that year's draft.

McShay is a leach who steals info from everyone in the business and projects it as his own. He has no integrity and no talent.

I actually respect Kiper because of the work he puts in. McShay is a parasite who doesn't have the first clue how to evaluate talent on his own.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013   #31
Texian
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
The difference between them is that Kiper actually has legitimate sources and contacts around the league who clue him in to rising players, sleepers, etc. He works year around researching and gathering information on every player for that year's draft.

McShay is a leach who steals info from everyone in the business and projects it as his own. He has no integrity and no talent.

I actually respect Kiper because of the work he puts in. McShay is a parasite who doesn't have the first clue how to evaluate talent on his own.
I agree whole heartily 100% with this^^^^^^^^

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read