Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-15-2013   #141
HTown2ATX
TexansMetalhead

Rep Power: 56069 HTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Oh boy.. Kubiak says Schaub working hard to get back..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Some fans just don't pay attention. McNair will never fire a head coach in the middle of the season. Never.

For a city that hated Bud Adams, there sure are a lot of folks that seem to want an owner that acts just like him.
You are correct in that some fans somehow haven't yet realized McNair will never do that kind of thing.

On the Bud Adams thing, I thought the hate for him really came later when the move started and happened (I was born in 1980 so I may be incorrect in how long he was or wasn't hated, my perception was that the main hate, or at least the hate I had for him, pretty much started with the move to shantyville) and that the hate wasn't so much decisions he made while the Oilers were still in place in Houston.

My personal opinion, I like Bob McNair ok enough as he is but I would prefer him to have just a sprinkle or a dash of Jerry Jones or Bud Adams in him at times and not be so plaid picnic table about everything. Too much to hope for?

Into black waves I am sinking,Drowning away from the ghosts,Disappearing into eternity,Into the mirror of my soul,The pounding sound is mesmerizing
HTown2ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013   #142
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 225674 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Clearly there are a lot of factors that have gone into Case's 0-3 record. To be fair there have been issues other than Matt Schaub's penchant for spotting the other team 6 points that helped him to a 2-4 record before Case took over. It's a team sport and any player can derail the win. A QB can kill you but so can a kicker. A RT can kill you. An offense can do everything right and the defense can let you down. The same is true the other way around.

If the Texans had won the last 3 games instead of losing them we'd be 5-4 right now, the Colts would be 6-4 and the upcoming game against Oakland would be for first place in the AFC South.

Schaub's name wouldn't have ever even been brought up. 7 points over three games is all that stands between Case being the savior of the season and people speculating that Schaub could rise zombie-like from the grave and get on the field.

Even with that being true two more wins over the Raiders and Jaguars will pretty much end any more talk about this. An upset win over either the Patriots, Colts, or Broncos will I think bring him back next year and affect the Texans upcoming draft decision pushing it away from QB in the first and toward a player at either ILB, OLB, or RT.
Old 11-15-2013   #143
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 281064 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTown2ATX View Post
You are correct in that some fans somehow haven't yet realized McNair will never do that kind of thing.

On the Bud Adams thing, I thought the hate for him really came later when the move started and happened (I was born in 1980 so I may be incorrect in how long he was or wasn't hated, my perception was that the main hate, or at least the hate I had for him, pretty much started with the move to shantyville) and that the hate wasn't so much decisions he made while the Oilers were still in place in Houston.

My personal opinion, I like Bob McNair ok enough as he is but I would prefer him to have just a sprinkle or a dash of Jerry Jones or Bud Adams in him at times and not be so plaid picnic table about everything. Too much to hope for?
Moving the team just hermetically sealed the long-simmering hatred this city has had for decades toward Bud Adams.

My first recollection of the Bud hate - and when the hate seeds were planted in me - was in 1980. Bud fired Bum Phillips after a playoff loss. Then in 1984 he shipped off Earl Campbell to New Orleans.

Bud has had a rather acrimonious relationship with the city. He basically used extortion with threats to move the team on quite a few occasions. In 1987, Bud threatened to move the Oilers to Jacksonville. As a result, the Astrdome got $67 million in renovations (including ripping out the famous scoreboard to add 10,000 seats). This was a 30 year bond that we are still paying off to this day.

There are some good books out there about Oilers history that really goes into detail from the beginning, if you are interested.

Oiler Blues: The Story of Pro Football's Most Frustrating Team

Loser Takes All: Bud Adams, Bad Football, & Big Business
Old 11-15-2013   #144
Tolar's Ghost
Veteran

Rep Power: 2050 Tolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respected

No doubt that Adams was a goober (albeit a rich one). But the man behind the team's move to Tennessee was a fellow named Mike McClure, one of Adams' "lieutenants" at the Oilers.

Adams wrote into McClure's contract that he (McClure) would get a $1 million bonus if he could secure a new stadium for the team -- wherever the stadium would be. Didn't matter if it would be in Missoula, Montana (well, you get the point).

Not being from Texas or having ties here, McClure started calling around, and eventually the deal was struck to move the team, and get a new stadium, in Nashville.

And the rest is NFL history. McClain and Fowler would verify the story, although Fowler, now an ordained minister (living in Colorado), probably wouldn't want to deal with such mundane matters...

Last edited by Tolar's Ghost; 11-15-2013 at 03:52 PM.
Tolar's Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013   #145
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 166542 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Looks like Schaub has been named the starter for Sunday............

....................if Lechler can't go..............as a holder for our man Bullock.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013   #146
Tolar's Ghost
Veteran

Rep Power: 2050 Tolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respected

Well-done!

I'm a Steeler fan first, and Texan fan second. But you had me pissed.

By the way, I expect Keenum to put the Schaub's-in-the-bullpen talk to rest by about 3:15 Sunday afternoon.
Old 11-15-2013   #147
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Who is the punter if lechler can't go? I think I missed that.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013   #148
Exascor
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35348 Exascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Kubiak said they'd just go for it. Seriously.
Old 11-15-2013   #149
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 166542 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Posted the answer in the Lechler thread.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013   #150
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 123706 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolar's Ghost View Post
No doubt that Adams was a goober (albeit a rich one). But the man behind the team's move to Tennessee was a fellow named Mike McClure, one of Adam's "lieutenants" at the Oilers.

Adams wrote into McClure's contract that he (McClure) would get a $1 million bonus if he could secure a new stadium for the team -- wherever the stadium would be. Didn't matter if it would be in Missoula, Montana (well, you get the point).

Not being from Texas or having ties here, McClure started calling around, and eventually the deal was struck to move the team, and get a new stadium, in Nashville.

And the rest is NFL history. McClain and Fowler would verify the story, although Fowler, now an ordained minister (living in Colorado), probably wouldn't want to deal with such mundane matters...
Thanks for update on Fowler. I use to be a frequent caller to his program. Lost track after he went to a golf program early morning. I really liked the guy.

As a side note on Adams getting seats and remodel of Astrodome, I think a former owner of Astros (New York guy?) had told Bud he wanted the renovation also and would side with Adams to get it done but then he backed out or something. Astros enjoyed the renovations without much of the resulting hatred, IIRC.
Old 11-15-2013   #151
Tolar's Ghost
Veteran

I worked with Fowler at the Chronicle, and knew him from my days at the Post (all of this, of course, in my pre-Ghost life).

I like him a lot. Loved his Tomorrow's News Today columns two or three times a year. He would take current sports news and project future stories. He would have had a treasure trove of material with the Texans.

Becoming a minister....quite a career change from sports writing. But he's happy doing it...
Old 11-15-2013   #152
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Rep Power: 281064 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Thanks for update on Fowler. I use to be a frequent caller to his program. Lost track after he went to a golf program early morning. I really liked the guy.
Was that the "Three Amigos" show with Fowler, Dan Patrick, and Kenny Hand? That was before 24 hour sports radio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
As a side note on Adams getting seats and remodel of Astrodome, I think a former owner of Astros (New York guy?) had told Bud he wanted the renovation also and would side with Adams to get it done but then he backed out or something. Astros enjoyed the renovations without much of the resulting hatred, IIRC.
I do have to give some credit to Bud when he admitted his greatest regret in life was not letting Drayton McLane move the Astros first. He knew he has been played a fool when McLane started whining about the same Astrodome he was promoting after the Oilers left. Everyone was so upset with losing the NFL that the gave McLane anything/everything he wanted in a stadium deal.

If Bud had been patient, he would have the shiny new stadium in Houston and no doubt that MLB would have found a team to move here to replace the Astros.

So while I'm no fan of Bud, I can appreciate someone admitting a mistake.
Old 11-15-2013   #153
Tolar's Ghost
Veteran

DB - Right you are...The Three Amigos, on KSEV (700 AM).

But I think the three were Patrick, Fowler and John O'Reilly, who had been a longtime sports voice at KTRH.

(Patrick and I sparred some over the years. But he had me on his show for two hours when the Post was bought out by the Chronicle. Nice of him to do that.)
Old 11-15-2013   #154
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 144920 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

But I think the three were Patrick, Fowler and John O'Reilly, who had been a longtime sports voice at KTRH.

(Patrick and I sparred some over the years. But he had me on his show for two hours when the Post was bought out by the Chronicle. Nice of him to do that.)
Tolar's Ghost is for Charlie ?

Tolar and another guy ( thinking an old Oiler ) in the mid 1970's , were drivng around and stopped at my house because my brother and I were playing football in the street . They challenged my brother and I to a game . They were dressed up in slacks and nice shirts and appeared to have had a few . They couldn't stop laughing because they were slipping and sliding .
Old 11-15-2013   #155
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Quote:

That's cool to read. Now that you mention John O'Reilly, the name rings a bell.

Was Kenny Hand ever on the show a guest spot or fill in for one of them? I think he was a writer at one of the local papers, too, iirc.

I most likely heard you as a caller or guest, because I was devoted to the show, especially during football season. Of course, pre-internet, the only ways to get info was through the paper or sports shows on news radio.
Old 11-15-2013   #156
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 75563 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Of course, pre-internet, the only ways to get info was through the paper or sports shows on news radio.
Dayum, you're old! Kinda like me.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013   #157
Lord Bills
Destruction

Rep Power: 2290 Lord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respected

give case six pro bowlers on offense and watch him win games.

i cant remember another quarterback who did so little with 6 pro bowlers on offense the way schaub did last year.
Lord Bills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013   #158
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 225674 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
So you're saying KubiAk finally learns how to do his job ?
If watching the Texans since their inception has taught me anything it is that in the NFL damn near anything is possible.
Old 11-15-2013   #159
Tolar's Ghost
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
Tolar's Ghost is for Charlie?...
Nope, I'm not Charlie. But I like his show (and know him).

I wrote for the Post for many years, and had a brief -and altogether forgettable - stint at the Chronicle.

These days I write emails (and, of course, clear, concise, astute message-board posts).
Old 11-15-2013   #160
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 144920 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Nope, I'm not Charlie. But I like his show (and know him).

I wrote for the Post for many years, and had a brief -and altogether forgettable - stint at the Chronicle.

These days I write emails (and, of course, clear, concise, astute message-board posts).
I read the Post for years because that's what my parents read . I think I kept the last copy . Glad to have your experience on board .

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read