Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2013   #421
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Ed Reed released

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
I haven't bought Madden since 09. I no longer have anyone to play with and I'm not good enough to play online. My son was the only one that really played me. He went to a Christian High School in 2010 and enlisted in the Marines shortly there after. *sniff sniff* Ha, jk

Loved playing the game though. I've heard the graphics and gameplay is completely different, so I'd really suck now
Honestly, I really don't even play online anymore. I'm mostly content with franchise mode and occasionally playing someone else head to head.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013   #422
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 412969 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
People can poo-poo it all they want, but that attitude does not change reality.
Valid points on the play of the game.

I would say many of the belittling comments are in response to off-season/GM moves on trades and such.
Old 11-15-2013   #423
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 396984 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Honestly, I really don't even play online anymore. I'm mostly content with franchise mode and occasionally playing someone else head to head.
I stopped playing online many years ago. I do not have the quick reflexes required to compete with the young people, nor do I have the time to devote to absorbing playbooks like the average rabid online gamer.

I just have fun with the various modes of running a franchise. Even funnier is doing the EA game face thing with your own picture. I get a kick out of seeing myself on the sidelines or in games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Valid points on the play of the game.

I would say many of the belittling comments are in response to off-season/GM moves on trades and such.
Yeah, I get and agree with the off-season/GM thing, because so many of the ideas are a bit whacky and unrealistic.

Madden has tried to replicate some of the front office stuff with salary cap management and more realistic trades, but still just a simulation of the real thing in that regard. If anything, it makes me sort of understand how complicated a GM's job can be, so I try not to act like I know what's up in a real FO in that regard.
Old 11-15-2013   #424
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

I've never played the game because I wasn't even good at Pong. I just don't have whatever it takes.

These remarks though sure are enlightening. I had no idea and have always poo pooed the Madden references. I had no idea regarding the complexity and intricacies of the game.

I don't recall any contrary remarks on my part concerning the game but if I have, my apologies. If I knew anyone with the console and the game I'd like to check it out now.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013   #425
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Rep Power: 396984 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Texans Chick just posted a great piece about this subject.

And in her article, she posted a link to the following story during last year's playoffs:

Quote:
Ed Reed unimpressed with Joe Flacco’s performance in playoffs

More importantly, Flacco left one of the Ravens' most important players with a distinctly unimpressed feeling. Talking to SIRIUS NFL Radio on Monday, mega-safety Ed Reed said that Flacco underperformed against Houston's aggressive defense.

"They had a lot of guys in the box on him and they were giving [the pass] to him," Reed said. "I think a couple of times he needed to get rid of the ball. It just didn't look like he had a hold on the offense. I don't know how much of [that was] the play calling … but it just didn't look like he had a hold on the offense, you know, of times past … It was just kind of like they [were] telling him [what] to do -- throw the ball or get it here, you know, get it to certain guys."

-----------------------------------

"He can't play like [he did against the Texans]," Reed continued. "One specific play that sticks out to me was when Ray Rice came out and got pushed out of the backfield and [Flacco] still threw him the ball and he had Torrey Smith on the outside. I can see that sitting on the sideline or sitting in the stands. You don't know what someone else is seeing."

Full article
Reed has always been a very vocal leader, both in good times and bad.
Old 11-18-2013   #426
handswarmer
All Pro

Rep Power: 20183 handswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
ed reed is a jet!.just before their game with the Ravens..........
and look just as bad as he did playing for the Texans....

He was done about 2 years ago...
handswarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013   #427
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 266324 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by handswarmer View Post

You know, of course, we have always shared the same opinion.

In playing 70+ snaps, he managed to eek out some impressive stats........ 3 tackles, 2 of which were gang tackles.............

Also interesting to note is that Before Ed Reed joined the Jets, he was courted by Tom Brady
.................almost another AJ-like acquisition............

Quote:
Houston wanted to evaluate younger talent, with the team in a seven-game tailspin, and Reed was not playing much. More to the point, he and defensive coordinator Wade Phillips never established a trust or relationship, according to sources with knowledge of the situation, with them having philosophical differences from the onset.

Things were “awkward” from their initial meeting when the Texans had Reed in for a free-agent visit this offseason, sources said, and Reed was mystified by the lack of sophistication in the team's defensive schemes, with a limited number of coverages, red zone, calls, etc. It was not nearly as elaborate as what he was accustomed to with the Ravens and Reed was torn as to how much angst to express to teammates and coaches, since he only just signed with the team a few months back and had not built up any currency there.

Reed could not justify some of the concepts and approaches the Texans take and he was making a very limited impact in their defense. With Ryan there is an immediate bond and Reed has a thorough knowledge of the defense. With Ryan he can act as a coach if need be, will be able to position others and can teach the young players. Ryan believes Reed can still dissuade quarterbacks from the throwing the deep ball, sources said, and believes he can scheme up opportunities for the ballhawk to get his hand on the football, while realizing Reed is not going to be heavily involved in the run game and has some limitations at this stage of his career, as well.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013   #428
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Quote:

You nailed it in the off-season. You watched him for his entire career and knew last season was his last to be a productive player.

And in our intoxicated koolaide delusions, we thought you were just being bitter.

But, you were right on the money. And while listening to you would have have changed a damn thing with regards to the Texans signing Reed, at least we could have avoided any unrealistic expectations about the player.

Unless the last name is Brady or Manning, I am no longer going to cheer the Texans signing overpriced, used up, washed out past-their-prime players.
Old 11-18-2013   #429
handswarmer
All Pro

Rep Power: 20183 handswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
You know, of course, we have always shared the same opinion.

In playing 70+ snaps, he managed to eek out some impressive stats........ 3 tackles, 2 of which were gang tackles.............
I feel bad for Texans fans- not easy to feel like you got fleeced by someone who you thought would put your team over the top.
Old 11-18-2013   #430
handswarmer
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
You nailed it in the off-season. You watched him for his entire career and knew last season was his last to be a productive player.

And in our intoxicated koolaide delusions, we thought you were just being bitter.

But, you were right on the money. And while listening to you would have have changed a damn thing with regards to the Texans signing Reed, at least we could have avoided any unrealistic expectations about the player.

Unless the last name is Brady or Manning, I am no longer going to cheer the Texans signing overpriced, used up, washed out past-their-prime players.
I got pretty beat up by people here but then lost my composure and lowered my standards for which I paid the price.

But my assessment of Reed's play was based on unbiased observance of his play since 2002. I stopped rooting for the names on the back of jerseys back in the 80's- I root for the name on the front of the jersey so its easy for me to assess a player's performance.

Ed was done 2 years ago- he hurt his hip initially against the Texans in the playoff game in Baltimore in 2010. Never really recovered from that.
Old 11-18-2013   #431
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Didn't the Jets say Reed was going to help prevent the long ball?

If so, I just watching the Bills/Jets highlights
Old 11-19-2013   #432
Troy Chapman
Veteran

Rep Power: 33633 Troy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respectedTroy Chapman is a quality contributor and well respected

Hey at least Ed Reed kept his losing streak alive.
Troy Chapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013   #433
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 87056 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected

If I was in Ed Reeds position I would have done the exact same thing.

Not his fault the Texans didn't perform their due diligence on him.

This whole fiasco is on the Texans.

Anyone in the Texans organization bother to check out the team doctors?

There has been a pattern of ineptitude.

Old 11-19-2013   #434
handswarmer
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuppacoffee View Post
If I was in Ed Reeds position I would have done the exact same thing.

Not his fault the Texans didn't perform their due diligence on him.

This whole fiasco is on the Texans.

Anyone in the Texans organization bother to check out the team doctors?

There has been a pattern of ineptitude.

Oh you are correct that the Texans did not perform their due diligence but perhaps it was clouded by the star power of a SB winning, 1st ballot HoFer and his assurances that he would be ok.
Old 11-20-2013   #435
handswarmer
All Pro

Stay classy Ed....

@RavensInsider: Ed reed on texans 'that defense is not a good fit for a lot of people not just me the truth is the truth'
Old 11-20-2013   #436
Exascor
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35348 Exascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Stay classy Ed....

@RavensInsider: Ed reed on texans 'that defense is not a good fit for a lot of people not just me the truth is the truth'
Meh - it's the truth. Many if us thought he wasn't a good fit even if healthy.
Old 11-20-2013   #437
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Oh Ed, lol. Sounds like he and Wade really didn't get along

Quote:
Aaron Wilson ‏@RavensInsider 1m
Ed Reed on talking to Wade Phillips when he was cut: 'He came in and basically just made sure I was leaving.'
Quote:
Aaron Wilson ‏@RavensInsider 8m
Ed Reed on Texans: "That defense was not a good fit for a lot of people that are still there."
Quote:
Aaron Wilson ‏@RavensInsider 10m
Looking back, Ed Reed even said he wished he had never worn his No. 20 jersey outside of Baltimore.
Quote:
Aaron Wilson ‏@RavensInsider 21m
Ed reed on wade phillips 'in hindsight he's probably the reason I'm not there'
Quote:
Aaron Wilson ‏@RavensInsider 23m
Ed reed on texans 'you got to look at the playcalling and put your players in position to make plays'
Quote:
Aaron Wilson ‏@RavensInsider 26m
Ed reed said he didn't have problems with most of the texans org. including players and 'most of the coaches'
Quote:
Aaron Wilson ‏@RavensInsider 28m
Ed reed 'I don't even know how to describe it it was some interesting stuff I experienced with a different organization'
Old 11-20-2013   #438
djohn2oo8
All Pro

Rep Power: 5520 djohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respected

Good. This organization deserves embarrassment.
djohn2oo8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013   #439
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by djohn2oo8 View Post
True. At the same time the old hobo isn't exactly making himself look good either. I see it as a win-win personally.
Old 11-20-2013   #440
Sigma
All Pro

Rep Power: 40895 Sigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by djohn2oo8 View Post
I feel like we've become the jets

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read