Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-14-2013   #161
bOODRO87
Time Consumer

Rep Power: 16277 bOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans FO frustrated with Kubiak?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisco_County View Post
I think Kubiak is actually a pretty good coach, but the major flaw of this team has always been personnel decisions. The execution of Kubiak's schemes is limited by mediocre talent or lack of depth, specifically at the offensive line, and much of that problem is owned by Kubiak. I wrote in another thread that Kubiak's best personnel decisions have been the result of process, like Foster and Keenum. His worst ones were based on his impressions or evaluations, like Chris Brown and numerous linemen. None of us really know the balance of influence between Kubiak and Smith on draft decisions, but Smith has just pointed the finger at Kubiak, and that's a reliable indication of who's in the hot seat.

Realistically, I think the best solution is for McNair to conduct a critical review of his organization as it relates to scouting and personnel rather than interviewing new coaches. The benefits of keeping Kubiak -- as unpopular as that is around here -- is 1) He has an opportunity to maximize his best skillset as a QB coach by developing Keenum, and 2) The FO has already assessed Kubiak's strengths and weaknesses, and you can account for the weaknesses with supplemental staff. For an owner, having an accurate assessment of your manager's strengths and weaknesses is essential, and you can avoid the long and painful assessment period that comes with a replacement head coach.

I know that people have this idea that a championship head coach is one who simply executes every responsibility of his role better than his peers. The truth is that people who stand out among their peers only excel at two or three skills. A good owner knows how to set up that manager for success while accounting for and supplementing that manager's mediocrities. With a record of 12-4 last season, and the endorsement of some of the best quarterbacks to ever play in the NFL, I think Kubiak can be set up for success. That's hard for a lot of fans to accept after this season, but a plague of injuries and a QB meltdown can't be pinned entirely on the coach. That's what fans have the hardest time struggling with: Sometimes injuries and circumstance can tank a season, and there is no one to fire.

We were 12-4 because we beat bad teams. Denver was still in the process of creating chemistry. Baltimore didn't have Ray and Suggs was just coming back from his Achilles. I don't think Chicago is that good of a team. Detroit had chances to seal the game but couldn't after Schaub's interception. There's really nothing to be proud about because any time a well coached, above average QB-led team came to play, we got SMOKED. Kubiak is not a good coach. He's not terrible, but he's certainly not good. He surrounds himself with bad personnel. I don't know what else you need to see.
bOODRO87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013   #162
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 66253 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bOODRO87 View Post
We were 12-4 because we beat bad teams. Denver was still in the process of creating chemistry. Baltimore didn't have Ray and Suggs was just coming back from his Achilles. I don't think Chicago is that good of a team. Detroit had chances to seal the game but couldn't after Schaub's interception. There's really nothing to be proud about because any time a well coached, above average QB-led team came to play, we got SMOKED. Kubiak is not a good coach. He's not terrible, but he's certainly not good. He surrounds himself with bad personnel. I don't know what else you need to see.
I think history is fairly clear that the Texans have had difficulties with teams that are .500 or better.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013   #163
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 109604 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Well stated, and your points are valid. I just feel that Kubiak was given too much rope to hang himself, and his Achilles heel is that he's incapable of making objective decisions about personnel. As a result, we didn't get to see him maximize what he does best. I believe that Kubiak with consistent personnel could regularly take a team deep into the post season every year.

If he's fired this season, I wouldn't object. But I also believe that a winning record would've been unlikely anyway with the injuries suffered and the QB meltdown.

And no matter who gets fired, I still believe this:

Quote:
Realistically, I think the best solution is for McNair to conduct a critical review of his organization as it relates to scouting and personnel.
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013   #164
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 212977 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

What Rick wants is another Boilermaker as a coach .

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013   #165
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 323680 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
Of course you still believe. You have your reality distortion glasses on, and you are changing the argument. The theory was that slow and steady growth leading to the first playoff appearance was what mattered:

1) If the Texans have slow and and steady improvement - the Texans did this for years
2) When the Texans finally reach the playoffs - the Texans have made the playoffs
3) Then the Texans will be in the playoffs for a decade - I may be a bit premature since the team isn't mathematically eliminated, but I think the 2-7 Texans aren't making the playoffs this year.

You can toss out your standard, "Boy are you going to be surprised when the Texans win out and make the playoffs this year" post, but I'm talking about this football season, not a fictional future history of this season.
I'm not changing the argument, I'm agreeing with the people that said our F.O. screwed up the last two years. The team we have today is not as good as the team we had in 2011. Not in the coaching department, not on special teams. Not on the Offensive line, the secondary... not at the LB position, not at TE. The only thing we can say that is better about this team than the 2011 team, is the QB & I say that with rose colored glasses.

Slow & steady growth will lead to decades of football played at the highest level. Slow (which is what we've got, because we haven't "grown" in two years) will get you 2-7.
Old 11-15-2013   #166
otisbean
All Pro

Rep Power: 5252 otisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
I think history is fairly clear that the Texans have had difficulties with teams that are .500 or better.
This is the thing that bothers me the most about our current staff. Our record is abysmal against playoff level competition. I respect the heck out of Kubiak as an offensive coordinator. Ultimately I think he'll end up like Capers, a great coordinator and a mediocre HC. I'm tired of mediocrity.
otisbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013   #167
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 72472 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I'm not changing the argument, I'm agreeing with the people that said our F.O. screwed up the last two years. The team we have today is not as good as the team we had in 2011. Not in the coaching department, not on special teams. Not on the Offensive line, the secondary... not at the LB position, not at TE. The only thing we can say that is better about this team than the 2011 team, is the QB & I say that with rose colored glasses.

Slow & steady growth will lead to decades of football played at the highest level. Slow (which is what we've got, because we haven't "grown" in two years) will get you 2-7.
So to summarize the modified theory.

Doing it "The Right Way" results in taking 5 years to get to the playoffs, then the team is at risk falling back if the growth tapers off.

Doing it "The Wrong Way" gets you to the playoffs in a couple of years, then the team is at risk of falling back if the growth tapers off.

Given that there are the exact same results, I prefer the fast turnaround.

I guess you have finally helped me demonstrate that The Right Way sophistry that had been posted for years was just spin to defend a flailing and failing program. Thanks!
Old 11-15-2013   #168
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

You are living in 1983 or something. In modern salary cap football, slow and steady keeps you one or two years behind..all the time.
Old 11-15-2013   #169
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 323680 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
You are living in 1983 or something. In modern salary cap football, slow and steady keeps you one or two years behind..all the time.
You're right. We should do it like Buffalo & Cleveland.
Old 11-15-2013   #170
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 72472 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The options are:

Kubiak's failing way
Buffalo's failing way
Cleveland's failing way

I think the "sunshiners" are the most pessimistic people on this board.

We "chicken littles" appear to be the optimists - we expect things can change for the better.
Old 11-15-2013   #171
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 398918 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

We "chicken littles" appear to be the optimists - we expect things can change for the better.
I think the 'sunshiners' are close to fulfilling Einstein's definition of insanity.
Old 11-15-2013   #172
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 30074 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The options are:

Kubiak's failing way
Buffalo's failing way
Cleveland's failing way

Correct. It's actually depressing to hear from fans on this team who say, "I'd be happy getting another coach IF we can do better than Kubiak" and "Who else can we get?"

These are supposed "fans" of the "team," yet don't think we can do better than we are already doing.

That's not being a fan of the team; that's being a fan of Gary Kubiak. Own it, already.
houstonspartan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013   #173
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonspartan View Post
Correct. It's actually depressing to hear from fans on this team who say, "I'd be happy getting another coach IF we can do better than Kubiak" and "Who else can we get?"

These are supposed "fans" of the "team," yet don't think we can do better than we are already doing.

That's not being a fan of the team; that's being a fan of Gary Kubiak. Own it, already.
It's easy to tear down arguments not made.

Find one person saying we can't do better. Folks saying IF are only asserting not everyone is better. If there is a coach you would say "I don't want him" about then you are in agreement but won't admit it.
Old 11-15-2013   #174
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
We are closer to them than not
Old 11-15-2013   #175
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yeah. It's tough getting used to the idea that Buffalo and Cleveland are both looking down on us at the moment. That ain't a good feeling.
Old 11-15-2013   #176
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Not buying that. They have a total of 1 winning season and 0 playoffs between them during Kubiak's tenure.
Old 11-15-2013   #177
bOODRO87
Time Consumer

Rep Power: 16277 bOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respectedbOODRO87 is a quality contributor and well respected

Is there really anything to like about Kubiak?
bOODRO87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013   #178
gafftop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9350 gafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respected

Texans have no front office. Who are you talking about? Smithiak??? Kubiath??? McNair??? Roots?? Roots is a marketing person. Maybe that gives us an insight into the Texans focus.

The Texans are strictly a "renting" team. They exist from season to season losing talent every year (aging), never gaining. They are building no value obtaining no wealth. They are not even trying to build wealth in the way of talent. Again I ask what trades have we made that have increased the value of this team. Who have we traded and received a valuable asset be it a player or draft choices. This year we will lose Tate and get nothing in return.
We lost Mario and got nada. We never sell high, we only buy high and give up or dismiss. You don't get stronger or better the way the Texans operate. I would say overall our drafts are at best average but I think below average.

I am frustrated with the whole Texans organization.
gafftop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013   #179
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 398918 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Is there really anything to like about Kubiak?
Kubiak the head coach or Kubiak the man?

I think a case can be made for HC, but it would be an unpopular position at the moment and certainly a slow and steady mentality.

But, I think if you objectively wrote the pros and cons on a sheet of paper, you could probably make and easier case against the HC part.

As far as Kubiak the man, I've heard nothing but positive things about Gary in that regard. He seems like a really decent guy on all accounts.
Old 11-15-2013   #180
gafftop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9350 gafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Kubiak the head coach or Kubiak the man?

I think a case can be made for HC, but it would be an unpopular position at the moment and certainly a slow and steady mentality.

But, I think if you objectively wrote the pros and cons on a sheet of paper, you could probably make and easier case against the HC part.

As far as Kubiak the man, I've heard nothing but positive things about Gary in that regard. He seems like a really decent guy on all accounts.
Any time I talk about Kubiak it has only to do with him as a head coach as I think it should be for everyone.
gafftop is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read