Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read


Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2013   #1
Doppelganger
None
 
Doppelganger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 4,874
Rep Power: 39889 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Doppelganger's Kneejerk Mock-3

2-7.

Let that sink in for a moment. This team is 2-7. With that in mind, its time for yet another knee jerk mock.

1. Jake Matthews, OT, Texas A&M, 6'5, 305lbs
Newton has shown he is not capable of being a starter at RT. Simply put he has been an unmitigated disaster. I am not taking Matthews simply because the team desperately needs a RT(they do), but because I honestly think he is the BPA at this point in the draft. If Case is the guy, the best move for the team is to get someone who can give him time to throw. Considering teams have passrushers coming from all angles, it is almost necessary to have 2 LTs to protect the QB. Matthews makes a ton of sense and it would be great to have another Matthews protecting an Htown QB. I am sure I don't have to outline his bloodlines, but if I must: Father(Bruce), Uncle (Clay Jr.), cousin (Clay III), cousin (Casey). Nuff said. He starts Day 1 and immediately improves the line.

2. Trent Murphy, OLB, Stanford, 6'6 261lbs
I have no clue if the Texans play a 4-3 or 3-4 next year. I would seriously consider some 4-4. With that in mind, Murphy fits any of the schemes. He is a big strong and fast OLB prospect. He has been a force on the somewhat underrated Stanford Defense. This move actually improves two positions. In a 3-4, it would move Reed back inside next to Cush and allow the bigger more athletic Murphy to play at the strongside. In a 4-3, I would actually move into a 4-4 and have Reed next to Cush in the middle with Murphy on the SOLB slot. This would allow the Texans to better protect against the middle and TEs/runs with an athletic linebacker rather than an additional safety.

3. David Yankey, G/OT, Stanford, 6'5, 311lbs
We go back to Stanford and grab David Yankey. He, like Quiz, has the skills to play at OT or OG, though I think his best place is at OG. With Smith on the way out, there are 2 OG spots available. Quiz, Brooks, Jones, and Yankey would compete for them. Based on what I have seen from Quiz, I think he could win one of the spots and I wouldn't be surprised to see Yankey get the other. Brooks has merely been ok and may be a better swing OG. Imagine this OL for Case:
Brown---Yankey---Myers---Quiz---Mathews

I know it would be strange to have 2 new OL on the team as rooks, but Matthews is very polished and much better than Newton. Yankey is as good or not better than Brooks/Jones.


4. Keith Price, QB, Washington, 6'1, 195lbs
I think Schaub is cut after the year. Yates sees the writing on the wall and goes elsewhere. He will not get a shot to be a starter in Htown and I think another team will give him that chance.The Texans will likely sign a journeymen vet to be the primary backup to Keenum (such as a John Beck like QB.) That said, the team could still use more help. I would choose Price. Price is also a formidable QB prospect. He has dramatically improved as a passer. His accuracy, footwork, and arm look much better than last year. He also has good mobility. Unlike last year he is beginning to use his mobility not to run, run, run, but to move around to buy his receivers time. He is not ready to start, but he has the makings of a very interesting developmental backup. He has a lot of similarities to Case and in some ways Russel Wilson.

5. Wayne Lyons, CB, Stanford , 6'1, 193lbs.
I know. I know. I know. I know I probably shouldn't do it, but I am going back to Stanford one more time. Lyons is a smart, physical player.He was highly recruited out of highschool, but ultimately broke his foot in his freshman year. Last year he was a rotational player. He has been having some good games this year. He has a great combination of speed and size. He is a physical defender who is also smart enough to play zone. He could also begin play as a physical and tough ST player.

6. Chris Borland, ILB, Wisconsin, 5'11, 248 lbs
Not Al, not Cal, but Chris is a great looking secondary ILB prospect. He is a run stopping monster who is able to stay healthy. One of the knocks on Sharpton and DObbins is an inability to stay healthy. Borland has been able to maintain health and has been a big part of the Badger defense. Some say he may be too small or too short, but this guy is a football player and loves the game. He has gotten better year after year. I am not saying that he is the next Zach Thomas, but he has that same kind of profile: smaller, hard working ILB who always seems to be making plays. Would start on Special Teams and bring some toughness and tackling ability to the group.

7. Tyler Evans, OG, Oklahoma, 6'5, 315lbs.
You can never have enough good OL in this league. He tore his ACL in 2012 and missed the whole 2012 season. He has slowly been rehabbing and getting back in shape. Prior to the ACL injury, he was an All-Big XII honorable mention in 2011 and had a good job in 2012. He was able to run block, pass protect, laterally move, and get to the next level. Without the injury and fully missed year and a half he probably would have been a 3rd rounder at worst. Due to the injury he falls all the way to the 7th. I'll take a chance on him here.
__________________

Sig made by False Start in 2010.

Adopt a Texan 2011-Present: Duyen.
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013   #2
infantrycak
Lead Moderator
 
infantrycak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Age: 47
Posts: 49,452
Rep Power: 416490 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Doppelganger's Kneejerk Mock-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppelganger View Post
In a 3-4, it would move Reed back inside next to Cush and allow the bigger more athletic Murphy to play at the strongside.
Not criticizing the pick but Reed would not be moving back inside. The only time he has inside is a few snaps in training camp. He was RB and DL in HS, DE in college and OLB here. May be worth a try, just saying.
__________________
The Art of War
infantrycak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013   #3
bhsman
All Pro
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 664
Rep Power: 15546 bhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Doppelganger's Kneejerk Mock-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Not criticizing the pick but Reed would not be moving back inside. The only time he has inside is a few snaps in training camp. He was RB and DL in HS, DE in college and OLB here. May be worth a try, just saying.
They've used him at ILB a few times last year (notably during the Ravens game) and a few times this year, I believe. They even used him at DT in a 4-3 front with Watt on the outside like when Watt got a strip-sack on Palmer on Sunday.

EDIT: Whoops, that was Mercilus. Reed has been used at DT this season, though. Interesting set up.

Last edited by bhsman; 11-13-2013 at 05:36 PM.
bhsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013   #4
infantrycak
Lead Moderator
 
infantrycak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Age: 47
Posts: 49,452
Rep Power: 416490 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Doppelganger's Kneejerk Mock-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhsman View Post
They've used him at ILB a few times last year (notably during the Ravens game) and a few times this year, I believe. They even used him at DT in a 4-3 front with Watt on the outside like when Watt got a strip-sack on Palmer on Sunday.
That is a handful of snaps on specialty plays. Doesn't mean he has any familiarity with playing the position.

I am not saying he cannot do it and was intrigued to see more in pre-season but it would be a new position for him.
__________________
The Art of War
infantrycak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013   #5
Mr teX
Hall of Fame
 
Mr teX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Everyone Wants The Throne
Posts: 7,964
Rep Power: 111928 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Doppelganger's Kneejerk Mock-3

I could get with the Matthews pick, but considering we still have draft picks from this past year on the OL that we need to take a look at, i don't think we take a guard in the 3rd...we take a qb to challenge Keenum & a vet..especially if there's a new regime here.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013   #6
TheIronDuke
Hall of Fame
 
TheIronDuke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Age: 35
Posts: 4,190
Rep Power: 102895 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Doppelganger's Kneejerk Mock-3

Too many picks on offensive line, need way more defense, especially d-line.
TheIronDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013   #7
Doppelganger
None
 
Doppelganger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 4,874
Rep Power: 39889 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Doppelganger's Kneejerk Mock-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
That is a handful of snaps on specialty plays. Doesn't mean he has any familiarity with playing the position.

I am not saying he cannot do it and was intrigued to see more in pre-season but it would be a new position for him.
Sure. It would be a new position for him. However, based on what I have seen from him, he seems to be the kind of player who would do better in the middle as opposed to trying to rush. He would be better able to cover if he has time to get there as opposed to having to react instantaneously. Plus, he would be a much better matchup against bigger TEs than shifty RBs.
__________________

Sig made by False Start in 2010.

Adopt a Texan 2011-Present: Duyen.
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-13-2013   #8
Doppelganger
None
 
Doppelganger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 4,874
Rep Power: 39889 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Doppelganger's Kneejerk Mock-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
I could get with the Matthews pick, but considering we still have draft picks from this past year on the OL that we need to take a look at, i don't think we take a guard in the 3rd...we take a qb to challenge Keenum & a vet..especially if there's a new regime here.
The only players we have on the OL that havent been tried are Brendan Williams and Quiz. Williams may be headed for microfiber surgery. I have no idea if he will be ready to go or not. Honestly, I am not ready to trust him to get better and be ready to go to protect the QB day 1. Newton was coming off injury as was Williams. I don't know if Williams is the guy, but Matthews is too good to pass up. A longterm answer at OL is a strong choice in my opinion.
__________________

Sig made by False Start in 2010.

Adopt a Texan 2011-Present: Duyen.
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013   #9
Doppelganger
None
 
Doppelganger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 4,874
Rep Power: 39889 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Doppelganger's Kneejerk Mock-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronDuke View Post
Too many picks on offensive line, need way more defense, especially d-line.
I can understand that point. However, I firmly believe that Matthews can start Day 1. Yankey also has the potential to be a very good starting OL. If we honestly look at our OL right now, who can we pencil in as above average NFL starters?

Brown, while injured and Myers are pretty much it. Wade Smith is on the rapid decline and likely gone next year. Newton has been a disaster and needs to be gone. Brooks has been ok but hasn't lit the world on fire. Having a strong OL will give the QB(case or whomever) time and give him space to work. In an NFL where it is becoming a passing league, a premium is needed on the QB and the guys who protect the QB.

I would resign Antonio to a 3 year deal to quell the immediate need on D. The move to get Murphy improves the OLB/ILB spots. A new CB is brought in and another ILB. With only a handful of picks a theme had to be selected and I opted to do what I could to protect the QB and get one more edge rusher. More time for the QB=more opportunity to score in the Offensive NFL era. Sadly, having suffocating D's may become a relic of the past.
__________________

Sig made by False Start in 2010.

Adopt a Texan 2011-Present: Duyen.
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013   #10
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame
 
Wolf6151's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Pearland, Texas
Posts: 3,437
Rep Power: 28037 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Doppelganger's Kneejerk Mock-3

3 issues:

1. I'm not familiar with Price but I'd want a QB earlier, 2nd or 3rd Murray or McCarron, to get a good insurance policy for Keenum. I could live with the pick though.
2. Borland's size screams old school run stuffing 4-3 MLB, not modern 3-4 ILB with pass coverage responsibilities.
3. I don't see the need for Evans as O-line depth if you take Yankey in the 3rd, we've still got Brooks, Quessenberry, and Jones as O-line depth and alot of holes elsewhere.

Overall though I like it, change out Borland and it could be very good.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013   #11
beerlover
Site Contributor
 
beerlover's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 12,559
Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Doppelganger's Kneejerk Mock-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppelganger View Post
2-7.

Let that sink in for a moment. This team is 2-7. With that in mind, its time for yet another knee jerk mock.

1. Jake Matthews, OT, Texas A&M, 6'5, 305lbs
Newton has shown he is not capable of being a starter at RT. Simply put he has been an unmitigated disaster. I am not taking Matthews simply because the team desperately needs a RT(they do), but because I honestly think he is the BPA at this point in the draft. If Case is the guy, the best move for the team is to get someone who can give him time to throw. Considering teams have passrushers coming from all angles, it is almost necessary to have 2 LTs to protect the QB. Matthews makes a ton of sense and it would be great to have another Matthews protecting an Htown QB. I am sure I don't have to outline his bloodlines, but if I must: Father(Bruce), Uncle (Clay Jr.), cousin (Clay III), cousin (Casey). Nuff said. He starts Day 1 and immediately improves the line.

2. Trent Murphy, OLB, Stanford, 6'6 261lbs
I have no clue if the Texans play a 4-3 or 3-4 next year. I would seriously consider some 4-4. With that in mind, Murphy fits any of the schemes. He is a big strong and fast OLB prospect. He has been a force on the somewhat underrated Stanford Defense. This move actually improves two positions. In a 3-4, it would move Reed back inside next to Cush and allow the bigger more athletic Murphy to play at the strongside. In a 4-3, I would actually move into a 4-4 and have Reed next to Cush in the middle with Murphy on the SOLB slot. This would allow the Texans to better protect against the middle and TEs/runs with an athletic linebacker rather than an additional safety.

3. David Yankey, G/OT, Stanford, 6'5, 311lbs
We go back to Stanford and grab David Yankey. He, like Quiz, has the skills to play at OT or OG, though I think his best place is at OG. With Smith on the way out, there are 2 OG spots available. Quiz, Brooks, Jones, and Yankey would compete for them. Based on what I have seen from Quiz, I think he could win one of the spots and I wouldn't be surprised to see Yankey get the other. Brooks has merely been ok and may be a better swing OG. Imagine this OL for Case:
Brown---Yankey---Myers---Quiz---Mathews

I know it would be strange to have 2 new OL on the team as rooks, but Matthews is very polished and much better than Newton. Yankey is as good or not better than Brooks/Jones.


4. Keith Price, QB, Washington, 6'1, 195lbs
I think Schaub is cut after the year. Yates sees the writing on the wall and goes elsewhere. He will not get a shot to be a starter in Htown and I think another team will give him that chance.The Texans will likely sign a journeymen vet to be the primary backup to Keenum (such as a John Beck like QB.) That said, the team could still use more help. I would choose Price. Price is also a formidable QB prospect. He has dramatically improved as a passer. His accuracy, footwork, and arm look much better than last year. He also has good mobility. Unlike last year he is beginning to use his mobility not to run, run, run, but to move around to buy his receivers time. He is not ready to start, but he has the makings of a very interesting developmental backup. He has a lot of similarities to Case and in some ways Russel Wilson.

5. Wayne Lyons, CB, Stanford , 6'1, 193lbs.
I know. I know. I know. I know I probably shouldn't do it, but I am going back to Stanford one more time. Lyons is a smart, physical player.He was highly recruited out of highschool, but ultimately broke his foot in his freshman year. Last year he was a rotational player. He has been having some good games this year. He has a great combination of speed and size. He is a physical defender who is also smart enough to play zone. He could also begin play as a physical and tough ST player.

6. Chris Borland, ILB, Wisconsin, 5'11, 248 lbs
Not Al, not Cal, but Chris is a great looking secondary ILB prospect. He is a run stopping monster who is able to stay healthy. One of the knocks on Sharpton and DObbins is an inability to stay healthy. Borland has been able to maintain health and has been a big part of the Badger defense. Some say he may be too small or too short, but this guy is a football player and loves the game. He has gotten better year after year. I am not saying that he is the next Zach Thomas, but he has that same kind of profile: smaller, hard working ILB who always seems to be making plays. Would start on Special Teams and bring some toughness and tackling ability to the group.

7. Tyler Evans, OG, Oklahoma, 6'5, 315lbs.
You can never have enough good OL in this league. He tore his ACL in 2012 and missed the whole 2012 season. He has slowly been rehabbing and getting back in shape. Prior to the ACL injury, he was an All-Big XII honorable mention in 2011 and had a good job in 2012. He was able to run block, pass protect, laterally move, and get to the next level. Without the injury and fully missed year and a half he probably would have been a 3rd rounder at worst. Due to the injury he falls all the way to the 7th. I'll take a chance on him here.
This is simply, too good to be true!

Yankey is easily the best LG in College Football, much more polished than Kyle Long who went #20 last year to da Bears, so its conceivable you have three first round picks!

Like your pick of Price in 4th. My thinking as well, just has that whole Seattle Russel Wilson buzz about him. Just not AS athletically gifted or football intelligent, similar tools to mold around.

Why not go back to Stanford twice, I did it (Hogan & Montgomery)

Good value with Borland late, fills a need & could be good enough to start if health checks out.

I get what your saying about OL. But you killed it already with Yankey, plus I really don't want a repeat of the Brennan Williams experiment. Another position like Retuner/WR/CB/TE/DT would be more warranted.

A dream come true kneejerk dopplemock!
__________________

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:05 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger