Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2013   #341
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 92090 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Ed Reed released

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath Shuler View Post
Reed cleared waivers.
Yep, he cleared. Now we're on the hook for the remainder of the 6 million he was guaranteed.

Quote:
Albert Breer ‏@AlbertBreer 4m
Ed Reed unclaimed on waivers. So the Texans swallow the full boat, all $6 million they guaranteed him back in March.
Old 11-13-2013   #342
Heath Shuler
worst 2 1st

Section: 521
Rep Power: 49148 Heath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Aaron Wilson ‏@RavensInsider 14m

Ed Reed's $1 million base salary guaranteed, Texans remain on hook for $411,000. They save $62,500 bonus per games active

The Highwaymen
Heath Shuler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013   #343
kingtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 32969 kingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Now he will sign with New England, or Denver or KC and win another SuperBowl.
kingtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013   #344
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 70276 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
nah, this is nothing. The forum survived 2-14, the Carr Wars, the invasion of the VY Sausage Liberation Army, the pink soapers, and a hostile takeover by corporate overlords and subsequent merging with Texans Talk, among other smaller scale skirmishes (including three presidential elections in the NSZ).

It's all good in the TT neighborhood!

MSR I tell ya... The fact that I actually managed to survive that one without a permanent ban, amazes me to this day.
Old 11-13-2013   #345
Vance87
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 55057 Vance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtexan View Post
Now he will sign with New England, or Denver or KC and win another SuperBowl.
And Keenum will look like the answer this year and the day after the Super Bowl he falls down the stairs trying to eat cereal and walk at the same time and blows out his throwing shoulder, ending his career.

And the saga of the 2013 Houston Texans will be complete.
Old 11-13-2013   #346
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 275466 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
Ineptitude is right. How does Rick Smith not know Reed is considering surgery? Didn't they ask him if he was considering going under the knife in the off-season? They didn't watch his film and suspect some kind of issue?
McNair rarely gets in front of player signings. But he was right in front of this one, even going to far as to verbally bitchslap the leaders of the team with his remarks about teaching "mental toughness" against teams like the Patriots and in the playoffs. I've always wondered how that went over with the leaders of the team.

And while I don't want to read too much into it, Ed Reed's words at his initial press conference were interesting.

"First, I would like to thank Rick for the call and Mr. Bob (McNair) for reaching out and telling Rick to reach out to me and the organization for laying out the red carpet on the visit"
~ Ed Reed, press conference, Mar 22, 2013

This right after McNair flew his private jet to pick Reed up. How often does that happen?

What was the thought process behind this decision? Were they so enamored with his name that they were willing to take big chances? Even over the reservations of their defensive coordinator?

Honestly kind of reminds me of the Oilers signing Wilber Marshall when Buddy Ryan became DC in '93. Big name on the Bears and that historic defense, but not a lot of tread left on those tires. (Different details than the Reed signing, but same overall vibe of being enamored by the name.)
Old 11-13-2013   #347
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 88913 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Guy asked me today if he signed with cowboys.I guess new rumor of the moment
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013   #348
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 269149 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
What was the thought process behind this decision? Were they so enamored with his name that they were willing to take big chances? Even over the reservations of their defensive coordinator?

Honestly kind of reminds me of the Oilers signing Wilber Marshall when Buddy Ryan became DC in '93. Big name on the Bears and that historic defense, but not a lot of tread left on those tires. (Different details than the Reed signing, but same overall vibe of being enamored by the name.)
The thought was taking a flyer. Sometimes those work out and sometimes they don't. Kansas traded for Willie Roaf after he failed an NFL physical at 32 yrs old and he went on to 4 pro bowl/1 all pro season. The Patriots have filled out their roster with lots of guys past their high dollar days. This one was a total bust but at least they took a chance on something. Actually all of them have been busts - Moulds, Green & Reed.
Old 11-13-2013   #349
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 214832 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
McNair rarely gets in front of player signings. But he was right in front of this one, even going to far as to verbally bitchslap the leaders of the team with his remarks about teaching "mental toughness" against teams like the Patriots and in the playoffs. I've always wondered how that went over with the leaders of the team.

And while I don't want to read too much into it, Ed Reed's words at his initial press conference were interesting.

"First, I would like to thank Rick for the call and Mr. Bob (McNair) for reaching out and telling Rick to reach out to me and the organization for laying out the red carpet on the visit"
~ Ed Reed, press conference, Mar 22, 2013

This right after McNair flew his private jet to pick Reed up. How often does that happen?

Absolutely the same. Feels just like it but compared to Ed's beat up ass Marshall still had a couple of Pro Bowl seasons left in him. At least Wilbur still had tires.

But yeah, same thing. Scary. Bob ain't Bud but he's got more similarities than many of us would like to admit. I guess it's just an NFL owner kind of thing.
Old 11-13-2013   #350
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Rep Power: 275466 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
The thought was taking a flyer. Sometimes those work out and sometimes they don't. Kansas traded for Willie Roaf after he failed an NFL physical at 32 yrs old and he went on to 4 pro bowl/1 all pro season. The Patriots have filled out their roster with lots of guys past their high dollar days. This one was a total bust but at least they took a chance on something.
I was optimistic when they signed him. Mainly just by choice because I wanted to hope this season was going to be the exact opposite of what it turned out to be.

I think some teams - or should I say coaching staffs - have a pretty good track record for signing aging vets. Most that are successful at it seem to be good talent evaluators, and most of the time they never overpay.

Unfortunately, the Texans track record seems to be the opposite. The Texans have done pretty good with drafting players, but spotty on the free agent market, especially when it comes to older veterans.

In hindsight, it looks kind of desperate. And not sure how reliable McClain is considering his history with the team, but his admission that Wade was never big on Reed for his system is intriguing.
Old 11-13-2013   #351
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 70276 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
The thought was taking a flyer. Sometimes those work out and sometimes they don't.
It really is that simple. You don't find out if works or not until you have the benefit of hindsight. That's why it's a wonderful thing.

"I know I'm held to higher standards because of what I've done in the past, but that was the past," he said. "I'm a totally different player now!"

Per the Chronicle, that is what he revealed in his post-game interview.

Really Ed? I'm sure you made that known before you signed that contract, right? And you wonder why you got cut.

The guy couldn't perform and ran his mouth. It is really that simple. But I get it. For the purpose of conducting dialogue and carrying out conversation, it's necessary to take something simple and make it complicated. That's how it works.
Old 11-13-2013   #352
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 65775 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
It really is that simple. You don't find out if works or not until you have the benefit of hindsight. That's why it's a wonderful thing.

"I know I'm held to higher standards because of what I've done in the past, but that was the past," he said. "I'm a totally different player now!"

Per the Chronicle, that is what he revealed in his post-game interview.

Really Ed? I'm sure you made that known before you signed that contract, right? And you wonder why you got cut.

The guy couldn't perform and ran his mouth. It is really that simple. But I get it. For the purpose of conducting dialogue and carrying out conversation, it's necessary to take something simple and make it complicated. That's how it works.
I guess.

If you are an NFL player nursing an injury and a team does their due diligence on you and still wants to sign you, what are you going to say? "Hey, um, you know I am not sure if I am going to be coming back from this thing at 100%. I may be a **** player when all is said and done.....so let's talk figures."
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013   #353
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I was optimistic when they signed him. Mainly just by choice because I wanted to hope this season was going to be the exact opposite of what it turned out to be.

I think some teams - or should I say coaching staffs - have a pretty good track record for signing aging vets. Most that are successful at it seem to be good talent evaluators, and most of the time they never overpay.

Unfortunately, the Texans track record seems to be the opposite. The Texans have done pretty good with drafting players, but spotty on the free agent market, especially when it comes to older veterans.

In hindsight, it looks kind of desperate. And not sure how reliable McClain is considering his history with the team, but his admission that Wade was never big on Reed for his system is intriguing.
I hadn't heard that, but if true...that's very intriguing on multiple levels.

Who forced him on wade? (McNair?)

If wade didn't want him, did he really give him the best shot to succeed? Maybe they had been clashing and wade had simply tuned him out?

Lots of questions...and well....it's kind of sad that this season has turned into a soap opera. I feel like I'm watching the young and the restless or something. ****ed up twists at every turn.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013   #354
Sigma
All Pro

Rep Power: 20132 Sigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vance87 View Post
And Keenum will look like the answer this year and the day after the Super Bowl he falls down the stairs trying to eat cereal and walk at the same time and blows out his throwing shoulder, ending his career.

And the saga of the 2013 Houston Texans will be complete.
nah, he'll wait for it untill after the draft, so we don't draft a rookie QB in the 1st round
Old 11-14-2013   #355
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

ND Kalu said this morning on his radio show that Reed's agent had requested a release from Rick Smith, and Reed opening his mouth was a way to tweak Smith into making it happen.

If so, my perception that the franchise has been played like a fiddle twice this year by Reed appears to be true.

Kalu also echoed my sentiment in this thread. You hire a leader who is known to be vocal in the past, so do not be surprised if said leader is vocal in bad times, as well. That's what leaders are often about, brutal honesty. And that's never been the "Texans way".

Now just speculation, Kalu and Koch were talking to Keenan McCardell about the effects of this on the locker room during a losing season. They all agreed it puts a chill on players and lets them know that their opinions are neither invited nor valued by the front office and coaching staff.

Keenan McCardell also confirmed there is a "Texans way" and every player is advised about it when they join the franchise. McCardell played for Kubiak's Texans in off-season 2007, so he does have some experience to reflect on, fwiw. (btw, he's not bitter and likes Kubiak, so it was more analysis than criticism. For instance, New England also has the "Patriots way", like many other teams.)
Old 11-14-2013   #356
htowntexans1985
1st Round Pick

Rep Power: 11061 htowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Chris Mortensen @mortreport

Ed Reed and Jets on verge of agreement,
per league sources.
The old fart gets another chance against his old team next Sunday.
htowntexans1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013   #357
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 62963 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by htowntexans1985 View Post
The old fart gets another chance against his old team next Sunday.
I wonder if he will get all emotional again?

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
WINTERFELL - BECAUSE STANNIS PUSHED IT
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013   #358
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Signs with the jets. LoL.

We are what people thought the jets were.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013   #359
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 132014 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Thin skin not an issue for Buddy Ryan's boy.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013   #360
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 214832 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by False Start View Post
I wonder if he will get all emotional again?
How many more home games do the Ravens have left after they play the Jets? Reed could continue to hop rosters and keep going back and getting attention a few more times if he plays his cards right.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read