Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 11-13-2013   #21
IlliniJen
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 177962 IlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: If we get a top 5 pick...

I think we go for a QB regardless of what Keenum looks like the rest of the season because you can never have too many quarterbacks.

This draft is essential in determining whether or not we go back up quickly or stay in mediocre land for a couple more years. Smith has whiffed on too many picks the last couple of years in areas of need. I don't know if he's letting the coaches run too much of the draft show or what the deal is, but essentially wasting second and third round picks year after year is killing this team at key spots and not building up any depth.

I think we have too many holes to fill to begin addressing them in one draft, but he's gotta be more than 30% effective in his picks...a top QB to come in and give us some competition at a spot where you need a franchise guy to go to a SB is a good foundation that we can at least build on.

"Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I get to kill something." - Ron Swanson
IlliniJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013   #22
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222742 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniJen View Post
I think we go for a QB regardless of what Keenum looks like the rest of the season because you can never have too many quarterbacks.
Not to argue with the rest of the post ..... But if you have two QB's , you don't have a QB.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013   #23
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80496 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm still waiting to see if Keenum can learn to deal with the blitz...

He has impressed me in many ways & I've been pulling for 'im, but I'm not ready to make the call that we-don't-need-a-QB yet. I'm anticipating it and all that, but...

We don't have a top 5 pick yet (and I'm going to change the # just a little here), but I'm kind of of-the-opinion that a team with a top 3 pick needs a QB (hopefully one worth taking is available)....or they wouldn't have a top 3 pick in the first place.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013   #24
amazing80
Site Contributor

Section: my couch
Rep Power: 87188 amazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respected

a qb wont fix our secondary woes. we need a cb, s, ilb and olb, plus a rt and k.....and depth every where

we need the fill some holes in the off-season grab a quality back up qb and roll with case

id try to get a db AND rt in free agency

michael oher would be my rt

grab like sam shields or byrd or tj ward.....
Old 11-13-2013   #25
IlliniJen
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 177962 IlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
Not to argue with the rest of the post ..... But if you have two QB's , you don't have a QB.
I see your point. But I guess at this stage in the game, we're not really going to see truly what Keenum is capable of because we're working with a coaching staff that is robotic, uncreative, and loathe to make adjustments.

So, he might be great but held back by systematic coaching. Or, he may have reached is apex...how is anyone to know if he's "the guy" under this coaching staff and working under the assumption that the Texans are going to clean house this offseason and get a new coaching staff?

If they don't clean house, you will find my body dangling from the nearest shower rod.

"Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I get to kill something." - Ron Swanson
IlliniJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013   #26
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 173001 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Seems to have worked out pretty good in GB; otherwise that's true when both QBs suck.

Drafting a QB early, especially with today's rookie salary cap, and having him sit a year behind Case is absolutely doable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013   #27
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 164570 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Make it rain in Reliant!
DX-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013   #28
gafftop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9350 gafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respected

Don't want Clowney or Carr. Trade down if we can get good value. Draft class reminds me of Mario class. Bad luck again for Texans as far as draft timing goes. The results the Texans haven't had are strictly self inflicted. Hard to have Super Bowl contender with Capers/Casserly and Kubiak/Smith leading us. Just my opinion.
gafftop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013   #29
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

If we get a top 5 pick I'll tell what we're going to do...

We're gonna make damn sure he knows better than to video himself jerking off and putting it on the internet!

Uncle Bob needs to hire a guy who does nothing but walk around the locker room advising players on what a bad idea it is to do that. They won't call him "The Turk" but I'm sure a creative and descriptive name is out there somewhere.....
Old 11-13-2013   #30
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222742 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniJen View Post
I see your point. But I guess at this stage in the game, we're not really going to see truly what Keenum is capable of because we're working with a coaching staff that is robotic, uncreative, and loathe to make adjustments.

So, he might be great but held back by systematic coaching. Or, he may have reached is apex...how is anyone to know if he's "the guy" under this coaching staff and working under the assumption that the Texans are going to clean house this offseason and get a new coaching staff?

If they don't clean house, you will find my body dangling from the nearest shower rod.
We obviously have differing views on the coaching staff and offensive system ... no need to get into that at this time.

But we don't know and wont know what we have in Keenum ..... until the OL and backs are able to protect him.

Derek Newton - not starter quality , that's why he's splitting time with Harris.(First freaking play of the game - sack , strip , fumble , 0-7 home to climb out of)

Wade Smith - Old , injured , just plain worn out , needs to be replaced.

Dennis Johnson & and Deji Karim missing blitz assignments ?! 20 yard loss ?!

All of the above ?! How the hell do you evaluate QB play when he's running for his life or flat on his back ?!

Barry Sanders couldn't escape that kinda pressure.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Old 11-13-2013   #31
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17600 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

depends on if case plays good or not

if he plays bad then its a easy decision get a QB 1st round

if he plays good then I guess trade down 2 get more pics this team has a lot of holes to fill if we can get a extra 2nd round pick that would be sweet
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013   #32
bhsman
All Pro

Rep Power: 15546 bhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-TEX View Post

Make it rain in Reliant!
Thanks for this, I had been looking for it earlier...
bhsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013   #33
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 127449 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

Passing on a QB in the first, taking an O-Lineman, and then taking a QB in the second sounds way too much like the Jake Long and Chad Hennie combo for my liking.

Seems entirely too high to take a RT.

It will all depend on Keenum, and if a new coach comes in.
The1ApplePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013   #34
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1ApplePie View Post
Passing on a QB in the first, taking an O-Lineman, and then taking a QB in the second sounds way too much like the Jake Long and Chad Hennie combo for my liking.

Seems entirely too high to take a RT.

It will all depend on Keenum, and if a new coach comes in.
That's one of the reasons I would strongly consider a trade back to ~8-10 if we were in the top 5 and not taking a QB (Or our target QB is gone) and taking Cameron Erving of FSU.

The other thing to consider is "How many more years does Brown have at LT"?

Drafting a guy like Matthews allows you to plug him in at RT right away and possibly move him to LT later , basically Browns future replacement is on the roster. This really softens the blow of "this is too high for a RT".

I Miss Good Schaub.
Old 11-14-2013   #35
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21346 aussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

take best player available out of barr, clowney, mosley or matthews. or trade back to around 10 and hope one is still available preferably mosley!

this scenario applies even if keenum crashes and burns. i don't see a franchise QB worth taking
aussie_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013   #36
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21346 aussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That's one of the reasons I would strongly consider a trade back to ~8-10 if we were in the top 5 and not taking a QB (Or our target QB is gone) and taking Cameron Erving of FSU.

Drafting a guy like Matthews allows you to plug him in at RT right away and possibly move him to LT later , basically Browns future replacement is on the roster. This really softens the blow of "this is too high for a RT".
i agree with this scenario
aussie_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013   #37
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 66253 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Johnny Manziel is going to be better than Russell Wilson and Colin Kaepernick. That is all!
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013   #38
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30026 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

The biggest hole a team can have is at qb. Its easy to say there is only 1 franchise qb,but u better be right or you're doomed for awhile. I think the texans need to think long term when talking franchise qbs. Drafting a qb or any other player is risky. Remember when aaron curry was the safe pick? Your franchise fortunes rests on the player who touches the ball the most.
Old 11-15-2013   #39
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28037 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

If we get a top 5 pick I want to trade down to the 12-18 range. With such a trade we could easily pick up an early 2nd and a mid 3rd or 4th depending on how far we trade down. The great OT prospects, with the exception of Matthews, will still be on the board, a great CB prospect, NT prospect, etc... will still be available and be a better value along with the extra picks that we need to fill holes. Having two early 2nd round picks offers us some great talent at a great price.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013   #40
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83971 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

This is why I think Matthews is the safest pick.
He does well both at RT and LT.

Good technique, good pad level, good kick slide, good movement combined with the skill and knowledge of how to use his hands and arms, Quick and efficient on the second level, strong to sustain the bull rush, recover nicely upon mistake.

This guy has it all.
He's playing LT this year and I'm drafting him as such.

Your QB's best friend.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read