Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 11-13-2013   #1
LikeMike
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30535 LikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respected
Default If we get a top 5 pick...

If we get a top 5 pick, would you draft one of the many franchise QB prospects, or do you trust Case Keenum enough, that we can go best player available?

Personally I am not sure about that. Keenum looked really good, about as good as you could want a rookie QB to look. But so far he hasn`t really showed that he can be a winner in the pros. Everybody vanishes in the second half, so does Keenum.

Drafting a QB is always risky - chances are, if you don`t get the first pick you don`t get the next Peyton Manning. And even the first pick is no guarantee as we know. For every Andrew Luck there are at least a dozen Gabberts. But on the other hand, with a team as deep as ours we shouldn`t get a draft pick that high and hopefully we don`t get such a draft pick again in the near future. Can we really skip the chance of a franchise QB for a guy that only played half a season and didn`t get drafted?
LikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013   #2
texanhead08
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11687 texanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: If we get a top 5 pick...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeMike View Post
If we get a top 5 pick, would you draft one of the many franchise QB prospects, or do you trust Case Keenum enough, that we can go best player available?

Personally I am not sure about that. Keenum looked really good, about as good as you could want a rookie QB to look. But so far he hasn`t really showed that he can be a winner in the pros. Everybody vanishes in the second half, so does Keenum.

Drafting a QB is always risky - chances are, if you don`t get the first pick you don`t get the next Peyton Manning. And even the first pick is no guarantee as we know. For every Andrew Luck there are at least a dozen Gabberts. But on the other hand, with a team as deep as ours we shouldn`t get a draft pick that high and hopefully we don`t get such a draft pick again in the near future. Can we really skip the chance of a franchise QB for a guy that only played half a season and didn`t get drafted?

We don't have a deep team thats a huge myth. I would assume Rick Smith is the one that planted that seed in the media.

Gary Kubiak
December 4,2011
texanhead08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013   #3
deucetx
All Pro

Rep Power: 28119 deucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respected

I would probably trade down to get more picks. We have quite a few holes and with the desire for a quarterback that teams are having you can drive up the asking price. If Keenum doesn't prove to be the direction they want to go then they can still draft someone later in the first or second. I don't see a quarterback in this draft that is a 'must have' that separates themself that much from the next guy.
deucetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013   #4
LikeMike
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30535 LikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanhead08 View Post
We don't have a deep team thats a huge myth. I would assume Rick Smith is the one that planted that seed in the media.
Well, IŽd say on offense we are good, except for RT and maybe another G would be nice. WR looks good, HBs look good, TEs look good.

On Defense it looks like we have more holes. DEs are fine, DT is alright I guess, but could do with an upgrade. We could use 2 more LBs, 1 ILB and one OLB. Our Corners look good and I am satisfied with our Safeties.

So imho our holes are RT (you don`t draft that with a top5 pick - and we drafted 2 last season), G (again too high to draft one here), DT (no prospect worthy and not that big a need, ILB (maybe Mosley, but I think that`d be a reach), OLB sure, we could go there and many probably think we should - Barr, Beasley, maybe even Clowney might be our pick.

So besides the LB position, I really don`t think we have a hole to fill with a top 5 pick. Sure, we might go WR to add another weapon and as security for the end of AJs career.

Of course, we could always try to trade away that pick to get more talent overall...
LikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013   #5
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 249374 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Trade down in the first and get more picks if possible. To me the biggest single needs we have are ILB, OLB, and RT.

We should be able to address all three of those in the first two rounds if the Texans play their cards right and everyone expected to come back from IR does so. Still if I were the Texans GM (whoever it will be when the time comes) I wouldn't depend on having anyone back. Cushing is a beast but that's two in two years. We need another Cushing.

Wait, forgot about NT. Damn we need a big ol' NT in the middle. Wade says otherwise but I'm sick of seeing it not work. Maybe he can call a defense with a smaller NT but I don't like having to watch it get pushed all over the field.
Old 11-13-2013   #6
Trail.Blazr
All Pro

Rep Power: 19086 Trail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respected

Fortunately(or unfortunately ), we still get a good number of games to see play out to be able to address this premature topic.

So far, I like what I've seen from the kid, but he's still got a bit to prove. He will hit a sophomore slump, I'm all but certain. But I like him. I still would want to draft another prospect in the draft, but with as many needs this team has been exposed to have this season, it's fair to say Case would have to crash and burn before I'd green light a top 5 pick on a QB this year. Throw that top potential 5 to a real gaping hole that can't be addressed in FA, or as someone else suggested, trade down if an offer to do so presents itself.
Old 11-13-2013   #7
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

I wouldn't pass up clowney or Matthews....maybe even nix.

I'd keep that top 5 pick if one were available and trade down from the top of round 2.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-13-2013   #8
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 63514 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

We need a dominant NT to keep Cushing clean.
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013   #9
Bulls on Parade
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14302 Bulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I wouldn't pass up clowney or Matthews....maybe even nix.

I'd keep that top 5 pick if one were available and trade down from the top of round 2.
This kid would be pretty good also...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BG552VC1eSY

We need guys like that, who play with a high motor, around J.J. Watt
Old 11-13-2013   #10
chicagotexan2
IDBLDogDareU

Rep Power: 129140 chicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by deucetx View Post
I would probably trade down to get more picks. We have quite a few holes and with the desire for a quarterback that teams are having you can drive up the asking price. If Keenum doesn't prove to be the direction they want to go then they can still draft someone later in the first or second. I don't see a quarterback in this draft that is a 'must have' that separates themself that much from the next guy.
I do like some of the QB's in this draft, but if Keenum plays well the rest of the way then I'd like to roll with him next season. It is obvious that this team has many many holes and I'd like to trade down if we can get a good return of picks. But there is the issue. I am not confident in the teams front office to have more hits than misses in the draft.
Old 11-13-2013   #11
Bulls on Parade
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14302 Bulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respected

The real question: What if we lose out the rest of the way and finish the season 2-14 with 14 losses in a row? That will likely net us the first overall pick. Would you still trade down? That first overall pick would have a lot of trade value.

Right now at 2-7, the Texans currently own the 4th overall pick but if we lose these next two games at home against the Raiders and Jaguars - not entirely out of the question because those two teams have reliable kickers and we don't - we will become the new frontrunners for the top pick.

Keeping Randy Bullock is going to be a blessing in disguise.
Old 11-13-2013   #12
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Jake Matthews would be my choice. We would be set at LT and RT for the next 5 years between him and Duane.
Old 11-13-2013   #13
Bulls on Parade
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
Jake Matthews would be my choice. We would be set at LT and RT for the next 5 years between him and Duane.
If we end up with the first overall pick, I think we can trade down a few spots and still select Jake Matthews at number 4 or 5, in my opinion. The other bad teams in that area will be looking at a quarterback, especially the Vikings and Jaguars. I'm not sure what Tampa Bay or Atlanta would do but I can't imagine them passing up on Clowney, Barr or even Mosley.
Old 11-13-2013   #14
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56086 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Johnny Football
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013   #15
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 112586 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Still a lot to evaluate with Keenum, but where we currently stand, you take the QB if he's there and the one you had at the top of the board. If he's not, you take the BPA. Unfortunately, there's too many holes on this team for tunnel vision. Arguably, there's a need at every level on both sides of the ball.
Old 11-13-2013   #16
Big Lou
Stop Clowning

Section: DirecTV
Rep Power: 23872 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected

I like Keenum and he's on of the few bright spots that make it even worth watching at this point, but 3 games is not enough time to decide what happens in round one of the draft.

Many Cinderella story QB's have fallen back to earth after teams get some tape.

I hope he succeeds it makes a great story but at the end of the day it's about wins. I liked Kubiaks story and stayed loyal to him past when I should have let go, I was in love with the idea of a hometown hero. I won't make the same mistake, so I'm cautiously optimist ice at this point.
Old 11-13-2013   #17
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 171483 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Still a lot to evaluate with Keenum, but where we currently stand, you take the QB if he's there and the one you had at the top of the board. If he's not, you take the BPA. Unfortunately, there's too many holes on this team for tunnel vision. Arguably, there's a need at every level on both sides of the ball.
You can draft a QB if one is there that you think is worth that pick and groom him behind Keenum . If Both can play , trade one of the QBs for a 1st rd pick or two 2nds .
Old 11-13-2013   #18
Yesterday
Veteran

Rep Power: 3739 Yesterday is a quality contributor and well respectedYesterday is a quality contributor and well respectedYesterday is a quality contributor and well respectedYesterday is a quality contributor and well respectedYesterday is a quality contributor and well respectedYesterday is a quality contributor and well respectedYesterday is a quality contributor and well respectedYesterday is a quality contributor and well respectedYesterday is a quality contributor and well respectedYesterday is a quality contributor and well respectedYesterday is a quality contributor and well respected

Not that I love Keenum, but I don't think any QB in this years draft is worth a top 5 pick. I'd draft Manziel, Mariota, and Boyd later in the first, though...

Draft Jake Matthews imo
Yesterday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013   #19
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 112833 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected

If Kubiak stays, I'm sure we'll be drafting Jake Matthews. If the house is cleaned, we'll be drafting a QB. I don't think a new HC stays with Keenum. He'll want his own guy.
htownfan32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013   #20
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 181073 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm really torn on whether to take a QB or not .... Im not convinced that any of this years QB's are "Franchise QB's."

Keenum has had his moments of brilliance and has limited his mistakes - 0 INT's tho a couple probably shoulda been.
But when the heat gets turned up , the entire offense has come apart at the seams.

I haven't decided if Keenum is at fault or if its the failings of the OL along with the fact that they haven't had a back able to pick up blitzes consistently with Foster on the shelf , Tate injured giving snaps to what amounts to street FA's.

Give me a top 5 pick right now and I take Matthews if he's available. If not , I likely try to move back to #8-10 and take FSU's Cameron Erving or Tennessee's Antonio Richardson.

Without reasonable protection , we just cant evaluate the QB spot. Foster's health plays a big part in this as he's been very good at blitz pickup where Tate and others have been subpar to piss poor.

I'd be willing to give Keenum this season and next before making a long term decision at the position based upon what he has been able to do thus far .... but would likely sign a vet FA as insurance.

As for the OLB spot , I have to wonder if better play at the nose would result in more production from those OLB spots.

We all too often see QB's able to step into a clean pocket while the OT's direct the OLB's beyond the QB .... because there is no push up the middle. Get some push up the middle and the QB cant step up on a regular basis. The more I think about it , the more I realize this is the main reason the Texans give up so damn many 3rd and long conversions.

My first three picks are RT , ILB and NT - pending the talent is available.

We also have to consider potential FA losses - Ninja being the main one.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is online now   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read