Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2013   #221
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Ed Reed released

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
The term "outplayed and outcoached" are such generic terms in the NFL. We've heard this phrase for years.

Belichick 8/22: We got outplayed and outcoached

Do you think Patriots players got their underwear bunched up because their head coach said they got outplayed?

C'mon, these dudes get paid millions to compete. If some generic phrase muttered after a 7 GAME LOSING STREAK is going to reveal the soft underbelly of this franchise, they might not have the mental fortitude in the long run to compete against the Bill Belichicks of the world.

If they cut Reed because he sucks, so be it.

But if they cut him because he was a little critical by using a very generic phrase, then this FO is soft as puppy poop.

Exactly. I'm still trying to figure out where the outrage comes from. I didn't even think twice when I heard that.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013   #222
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 21983 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by djohn2oo8 View Post
According to justtxyank at clutchfans, credible insider, the way they handled the reed situation was not pretty and the football operations side along with Kubiak are in serious trouble, according to his source.
Meaning the overall Ed Reed situation - the decision to recruit and sign him from the jump - or just this week's situation?

I really think the Randy Bullock mess is a bigger disaster for this team than Ed Reed. Just my opinion.
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013   #223
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5496 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by htownfan32 View Post
Rick Smith gets a lot of hate on this board, but the good thing about him is that he's got no qualms about swinging the axe.
...Since when? Opposite actually. We have no reactionary bone in our body. A kicker directly cost you a do or die game and you try out a few guys and do...nothing. A qb sucks the life out of your team and you never do a f-ing thing until he gets hurt and gives you no choice. We wait and wait on under preforming talent before being forced to make a move. Not afraid to swing the axe my ass...
Old 11-12-2013   #224
Steal Your Face
Rookie

Section: 119
Rep Power: 857 Steal Your Face is a quality contributor and well respectedSteal Your Face is a quality contributor and well respectedSteal Your Face is a quality contributor and well respectedSteal Your Face is a quality contributor and well respectedSteal Your Face is a quality contributor and well respectedSteal Your Face is a quality contributor and well respectedSteal Your Face is a quality contributor and well respectedSteal Your Face is a quality contributor and well respectedSteal Your Face is a quality contributor and well respectedSteal Your Face is a quality contributor and well respectedSteal Your Face is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
Somebody had to say it. What do we have to lose this year? Honestly, this is the best thing Ed Reed could do for this team because it helps chip away at Kubiak's sterling image in that organization. This team is going nowhere with this front office and coaching, we need more implosions like this to get the ball rolling to axe these guys. I hope someone like Antonio Smith echoes the same sentiment in the future.

The leadership on this team has consistently shown us a lack of accountability for players' performance, and Kubiak especially has shown a stubbornness to make the appropriate changes to put this team in a better position. I don't care how many times Kubiak says "it's on me", that doesn't help this team win. I want a coach who is willing to pull starters who suck, I want a coach who gets in the player's faces when they mess up, I want a coach who is willing to change his game plan (scripted or otherwise), when it is clearly not working. Find me a coach who demands excellence from his players every single week, because I don't think we have that now, on either side of the ball.
Why?
What team purpose does it serve to say it in the media?

It may satisfy some fans on message boards or on sports talk radio ... may affirm/confirm their speculations ... but what positive team purpose does it serve?
Steal Your Face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013   #225
Lord Bills
Destruction

Rep Power: 2290 Lord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respected

A guy speaks his mind, has a voice of his own, lets his opinion be known and what do we do?

We cut and release him. 3 guys, two young talented players smoke weed (cigars whatever) and we cut them straight out.

This Zero Tolerance Draconian style Philosophy HAS. GOT. TO. STOP.
Lord Bills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013   #226
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 64065 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

Its sad to say the lasting image I will have of Ed Reed's time with the Texans is this:

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
WINTERFELL - BECAUSE STANNIS PUSHED IT
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013   #227
djohn2oo8
Veteran

Rep Power: 5520 djohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonspartan View Post
Meaning the overall Ed Reed situation - the decision to recruit and sign him from the jump - or just this week's situation?

I really think the Randy Bullock mess is a bigger disaster for this team than Ed Reed. Just my opinion.
The way they released him allegedy. It was pretty cold blooded. He didn't throw a tantrum, but it wasn't nice. -Justtxyank
djohn2oo8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013   #228
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 281064 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by False Start View Post
Its sad to say the lasting image I will have of Ed Reed's time with the Texans is this:

That's a really nice highlight reel of Ed's tenure with the team. Put a voice of god on it saying something really dramatic with some really powerful music, and this could be worthy of NFL Films!
Old 11-12-2013   #229
Steal Your Face
Rookie

Rep Power: 857 Steal Your Face is a quality contributor and well respectedSteal Your Face is a quality contributor and well respectedSteal Your Face is a quality contributor and well respectedSteal Your Face is a quality contributor and well respectedSteal Your Face is a quality contributor and well respectedSteal Your Face is a quality contributor and well respectedSteal Your Face is a quality contributor and well respectedSteal Your Face is a quality contributor and well respectedSteal Your Face is a quality contributor and well respectedSteal Your Face is a quality contributor and well respectedSteal Your Face is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
C'mon, man, pro football is a business unlike most.

When the owner of the team comes out and basically says they are signing a veteran player to teach the rest of the team mental toughness, are you really believing a pro football franchise is just like Exxon or Walmart or wherever?

"[W]e have the opportunity to bring in someone that can add a dimension to our team that really, really feels a need that we have. It’s not often that we have that opportunity. We’ve talked before about the fact that as we get into the playoffs, we have to have that level of mental toughness that will allow us to handle the increased pressures that are taking places in that point in time. In order to do that, we need to have veteran leadership on the field."
~ Bob McNair

So that whole leadership angle was only valid if he was going to tow the company line?

This is a sinking ship, but they want to act like it's all sunshine and rainbows on Kirby. Give me a break. We've seen this before, and it's just sprinkles on a dog turd. It's not brownie. It's sprinkle covered poo.

I hope Ed comes out and lays it bare now that he's got nothing to lose. This FO needs to be blown up and replaced. Going from a playoff season to 2-7 is pathetic. No more excuses for status quo.
What is mentally tough about airing the team's dirty laundry in the media?

How does that show leadership?
Old 11-12-2013   #230
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 49238 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Ed Reed was certainly able to teach Smubiak some "Mental Toughness"....and the walls they came tumbling down.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013   #231
Lord Bills
Destruction

Rep Power: 2290 Lord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by False Start View Post

Its not his fault that his strengths (zone coverage playing centerfield) is the complete opposite of what is required in wade's d (single coverage man to man).

It makes the signing even worse even if reed stayed healthy and kept his mouth shut. It was never going to work out because our defensive philosophy is in complete contradiction with reed's strength as a player.

Horrible horrible signing and decision making.

once again.
Old 11-12-2013   #232
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 88913 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Now you see why houston media always throws err lob err underhand toss softball questions at the Texans. You rock the boat..you walk the plank.
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013   #233
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
Let's just assume that Ed Reed's going away was only about his public statement, how's that any different than the real world exactly?
You gonna relate real life to this event only or across the board?

Besides the fact that these guys jobs are nothing like the real world, let's look at other individuāl scenarios.

Practice fights. You have a disagreement in the office so you and a coWorker come to blows. Happens all the time in football.

Your boss reviewing your work and saying you gave a ****ing ****ty effort. Happens all he time in foitball.

You do well at work and your boss slaps your ass. No?

You do a better job than your competition and tell them "you can't ****ing see me bro!!!!" "Get your weak ass outta here".

Do you taunt your competition by saying: "I saw your sister in the stands...I'm going to **** her brains out later...well her or your fine ass mom...haven't decided" ????

The thing is, football isn't like most jobs. It's pretty unique all things considered and most comparisons to regular jobs fall flat.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013   #234
Steal Your Face
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by santo View Post
This is why I feel we would never get a fiery coach like Gruden or Cowher. McNair seems to always want to hire "yes" men. :wade palm:

You think Gruden, Cowher ... or any NFL caliber HC would disapprove of an FO that releases a overpaid, underperforming, has-been that is being critical of coaching decisions? ...
Old 11-12-2013   #235
Pantherstang84
@rolisrgti06

Rep Power: 6021 Pantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Pantherstang84

Hmmm. Maybe I wasn't wrong after all. The guy played like a steaming pile of poo here and folks are saying it was because he criticized the coaching? Maybe it was a little of both. Nah. It has to be because he criticized the coaching.
Pantherstang84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013   #236
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Rep Power: 281064 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steal Your Face View Post
What is mentally tough about airing the team's dirty laundry in the media?

How does that show leadership?
Do you honestly believe the term "outplayed and outcoached" during a 7 game losing streak is "airing the team's dirty laundry"?

It's not like Reed named names or specifically pointed out certain players or coaches. Unless there is an interview or tweet that I have not heard about, this is as generic as it gets.

I've heard the term "outplayed and outcoached" for decades. I would not be surprised if it's a term he used as a Raven at some point in the past decade.

And yeah, it is a form of leadership, and Ed being Ed is exactly who they bought. Just because his leadership is not the style they desire during a historic franchise meltdown doesn't mean that it's not a form of leadership.
Old 11-12-2013   #237
Lord Bills
Destruction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
Now you see why houston media always throws err lob err underhand toss softball questions at the Texans. You rock the boat..you walk the plank.
and people still argue about houston having a soft media.

All you have to do is look at how rex ryan is question in new york after a rough game in comparison to the english tea party conference kubiak has with the chron beat writers.

That's what happens when you only have one major newspaper in a major american city.
Old 11-12-2013   #238
Steal Your Face
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstyle42 View Post
Exactly this team has no one on it that is a true leader and this last move proved that.
Completely wrong. There are other ways to lead besides criticizing coaching to the media.

JJ Watt
Andre Johnson
Duane Brown
Brian Cushing
Old 11-12-2013   #239
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steal Your Face View Post
Completely wrong. There are other ways to lead besides criticizing coaching to the media.

JJ Watt
Andre Johnson
Duane Brown
Brian Cushing
All of those players were here last year and the owner still brought Ed Reed in to teach them mental toughness against teams like the Patriots. This according to the owner's own words.

McNair was obviously not content with the leadership last season.
Old 11-12-2013   #240
Uncle Rico
Pro BS'er

Section: Nose Bleeds
Rep Power: 17109 Uncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
and people still argue about houston having a soft media.

All you have to do is look at how rex ryan is question in new york after a rough game in comparison to the english tea party conference kubiak has with the chron beat writers.

That's what happens when you only have one major newspaper in a major american city.
I miss the Post, it was the better of the two papers IMO.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read