Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 11-11-2013   #281
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78947 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Where to spend the 2014 1st round pick?

Quote:
Originally Posted by htownfan32 View Post
Bold 1: You're right, but I'm willing to excuse that for the same reason that Matt Stafford chucks it up in double coverage to Megatron. If you know your guy or no one is going to come up with it, you go for it.

Bold 2: Fully agree.

Bold 3: Manziel's been throwing some lasers of late. He's good in the pocket and can extend plays. He also is much smarter about contact and only really goes for the hits on the goal line, but he needs to not do that in the NFL. He's not Cam Newton.

Bold 4: Yep, and if it's a habit in the pros it's going to make him bad. However, Manziel has been getting his other WRs involved too. Malcome Kennedy is talented but Manziel makes no names like Travis Labhart look good. Derel Walker catches his fair share of TDs but I would like to say that three interceptions are direct results of Derel Walker's hands tipping the balls (i.e. not on Manziel).

The problem with drafting Manziel is that it's basically a gigantic boom/bust gamble, and you don't want to do that if you're the Texans, I think.
That's a good point about Stafford and Megatron. I tend to forgive Stafford because Johnson is just that much better than NFL DB's and I hold it against Manziel because I think about him developing bad habits. That may be a double standard on my part.

Manziel also has a pretty good arm that he doesn't get credit for. My point about the injury thing is I distinctly remember him initiating contact against Auburn and hurting his shoulder. That was such a dumb play by him considering. I see him slide only when he absolutely has to and he doesn't always avoid contact. The guys in the NFL are a lot faster and hit a lot harder.

Manziel has seemingly made no name WR's better. I refuse to give him credit for Evans but I'm pretty sure sure Labhart is a walk-on. I will say though, I think the offensive system has a lot to do with it. I won't say all, but I won't say Manziel is the only reason either.

And I agree. He is the definition of boom/bust.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013   #282
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21345 aussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

personally i stack the O-line and give keenum every chance possible then if he doesn't succeed go after a winston, hundley or Hogan next year.
My opinion is that you have to give keenum a good shot at becoming that QB we want.
aussie_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013   #283
bhsman
All Pro

Rep Power: 13423 bhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respected

Honestly, if we enjoy watching Keenum throw it up for Andre/Hopkins to grab, I don't see why Manziel doing the same with Evans is so egregious.
bhsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013   #284
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21345 aussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
I haven't seen a mock that has Mosley outside of the top 15 .... You'd have to be real careful not to move back too far and miss him if he's your guy.

I wouldn't be against doing so if you could get enough compensation from trading down a few spots to move back into the first round and get one of the elite tackle prospects.

I prefer Florida St OT Cameron Erving .... but many mocks have him going top 15 also.

I don't think you can get Mosley & an elite tackle prospect , its pick your poison & the talent at the tackle spots really drops off after that first ~4-5 guys.
as i said depending where we draft. if its in the top 5 i would be happy to trade back around 9-12 and pick Mosley.

I exactly in the same position has you. I really want both mosley and the elite tackle.
The only way we get is i think trading foster for a 1st round pick. that way you pick matthews first and use foster to get mosley. However this is not madden so its not going to happen.
aussie_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013   #285
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78947 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie_texan View Post
as i said depending where we draft. if its in the top 5 i would be happy to trade back around 9-12 and pick Mosley.

I exactly in the same position has you. I really want both mosley and the elite tackle.
The only way we get is i think trading foster for a 1st round pick. that way you pick matthews first and use foster to get mosley. However this is not madden so its not going to happen.
Agree. Nobody is giving up a high pick for Foster. He has a laundry list of injuries and a big contract. Not to mention he's had way too much work in recent years and is probably on the downside of his prime as a RB.

Would love to have Mosley. He's a freakin' beast.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013   #286
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 49238 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhsman View Post
Throw in another vote for Manziel, but that's me.

As much as it pains me to say it, LSU's sole sack came from an unblocked defender on a naked boot. McCarron also attempted only four passes greater than 20 yards but completed none of them; in addition, the only third down they completed (when put in that position) that was longer than 3rd-and-4 was a 3rd-and-8 with a penalty.

I think McCarron gets way too much credit for not losing games on a team that plays safe football and is stacked with talent. Maybe he'll turn into Tom Brady but nothing tells me he should be taken higher than, say, Murray.

Another interesting stat from Saturday's game? Lamin Barrow, an LSU linebacker, had 11 tackles during the game but only three were solo. Mosley had 12, of which 7 were solo.
On average teams don't throw deep much more than that. And the decision to go deep is not really McCarron's call. That call is Saban and the OC who are conservative by nature. LSU did bring pressure (more than base) often and Bama's biggest pass plays came as a result of McCarron decsion and playmaking vs LSU's blitz (5 or more).
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013   #287
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

If we get the #3 pick, I think I'd take clowney and stick him at olb.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013   #288
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Just felt it. Got the draft bug now. Ready to start looking at these prospects a bit closer.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013   #289
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72184 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
If we get the #3 pick, I think I'd take clowney and stick him at olb.
As much as I want Matthews, the thought of Watt and Clowney rushing the passer for the next decade is very appealing.
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013   #290
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie_texan View Post

Foster wouldn't net us a 6th right now I don't think .... big contract & injuries.

BUT pending we end up with a top 5 pick , there is the possibility of getting both a tackle (doubtful its Erving) and Mosley .... depending upon what compensation you get by trading back ~5-7 picks.
If you get a 2nd as compensation , you could easily package that along with your own #2 to get back up in the middle of the first round giving you two selections from ~10-12 and ~12-15.
You might even be able to keep one of those second rounder's and give up a 2nd & 3rd instead , picking somewhere around ~18.

Maybe you end up with Mosley & Antonio Richardson of Tennessee who is very comparable to Erving.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013   #291
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 71634 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Why , so he can get killed behind the likes of Wade Smith and Derek Newton ... ??? Just take a look at the first and last plays the Texans offense ran yesterday for prime examples.

They really missed Foster yesterday too as he's very good at picking up the right guy in blitz situations , Dennis Johnson made multiple blocking errors in the second half.
Why? Because we need a franchise QB. In this league you live and die by the QB and I want the best. As far as Newton and Smith are concerned you can get right tackles and left guards in other rounds or free agency. The same goes for a RB, especially in today's NFL. Franchise signal callers are what its all about. They make the bus go. Just look at what Schaub did to us this season.

The first round is where you have the best shot at getting a franchise QB. That should be pretty apparent.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013   #292
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 276022 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
The first round is where you have the best shot at getting a franchise QB. That should be pretty apparent.
You don't just play the odds. You make an evaluation of the particular players involved. Seeing the need and forcing a QB pick results in David Carr, Joey Harrington, Blaine Gabbert, etc. If they really believe a guy is a franchise QB then fine, take him.
Old 11-12-2013   #293
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 49238 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Why? Because we need a franchise QB. In this league you live and die by the QB and I want the best. As far as Newton and Smith are concerned you can get right tackles and left guards in other rounds or free agency. The same goes for a RB, especially in today's NFL. Franchise signal callers are what its all about. They make the bus go. Just look at what Schaub did to us this season.

Blake gets it!

This week the Texans 2-7, .555, have the 5th pick in the 2014 NFL Draft; http://www.gbnreport.com/weeklydraftorder.html
Old 11-12-2013   #294
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 105102 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected

What happens if we end up with the first pick? Worst case scenario. We are only one game ahead of Tampa and the Jags.

Do you pull the trigger on Teddy Bridgewater or no?
htownfan32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013   #295
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I'm not against taking a QB - don't get me wrong .... I just don't see any real franchise QB's in this draft. Every one of them is a huge gamble tho some greater than others.

I do want to see Keenum finish the season before we make the decision we have to draft a QB .... he's played pretty damn well so far despite unfavorable conditions - no running game and a sh!t OL.

Also filling those holes at LG & RT via FA .... will cost premium $$$$.

Lets at least get to the end of the season before we finalize our evaluations of the QB spot - its a near complete unknown , those other spots (LG , RT , ILB , NT) aren't.

Quote:
What happens if we end up with the first pick? Worst case scenario. We are only one game ahead of Tampa and the Jags.

Tough question .... one I wouldn't want to make just yet.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013   #296
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72184 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Foster wouldn't net us a 6th right now I don't think .... big contract & injuries.

BUT pending we end up with a top 5 pick , there is the possibility of getting both a tackle (doubtful its Erving) and Mosley .... depending upon what compensation you get by trading back ~5-7 picks.
If you get a 2nd as compensation , you could easily package that along with your own #2 to get back up in the middle of the first round giving you two selections from ~10-12 and ~12-15.
You might even be able to keep one of those second rounder's and give up a 2nd & 3rd instead , picking somewhere around ~18.

Maybe you end up with Mosley & Antonio Richardson of Tennessee who is very comparable to Erving.
If they make that trade give me Nix and Erving and Skov later.

Building in the trenches is where this team has been lacking. It's time to build from the inside out and find another nickle CB.
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013   #297
Texian
Hall of Fame

Quote:

No, Johnny Football

Actually you hire David Shaw as HC and let him figure it out.
Old 11-12-2013   #298
Blake
MMQB

Rep Power: 71634 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
You don't just play the odds. You make an evaluation of the particular players involved. Seeing the need and forcing a QB pick results in David Carr, Joey Harrington, Blaine Gabbert, etc.
I agree you dont just play the odds. All the QB's you mention were selected because teams evaluated them and judged their value in the top 10 of their draft class. Gabbert, Carr and Harrington werent the only QBs left on the board. They were judged to be top signal callers and worthy of a top 10 pick.

Obviously if you dont feel that the QB prospect is a top signal caller and have another position player rated higher you can go with that. But with a top 5 pick (and Bridgewater, Mariota, Hundley potentially coming out) we would virtually be a lock for a highly rated signal caller. And it wouldnt be out of the question to move up a couple of spots to land your guy.
Old 11-12-2013   #299
Blake
MMQB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
No, Johnny Football

Actually you hire David Shaw as HC and let him figure it out.
No, Mariota. And you are headed in the right direction, but the coach you should be thinking about coaches in Waco Texas.
Old 11-12-2013   #300
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 105102 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
No, Mariota. And you are headed in the right direction, but the coach you should be thinking about coaches in Waco Texas.
I'm not sure what you see in what is basically an inferior version of Johnny Manziel.
htownfan32 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read