Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 11-11-2013   #241
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29411 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx
Default Re: Where to spend the 2014 1st round pick?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
I realize the trade value charts aren't an exact science, they're just a guide, but they're the best thing we've got for now. The #4 pick is worth 1800 pts.. If we traded down to #21 worth 800 pts., thus a difference of 1000 pts., we should be able to pick up a high 2nd, high 3rd, and high 4th. That hypothetical high 4th could also be a 3rd in 2015. At pick #21 we could still get a very good CB, DT, or OT and then with two high 2nd round picks we could fill ILB and a good QB prospect (Murray or McCarron). With two high 3rd round picks we could get a good Safety, and also fill one of the other unfilled needs at ILB, OLB, or some quality O-line depth etc... If we draft right that gives us 5 picks in the top 70 players. That's the possibility of filling 5 holes in one draft with quality talent, something few teams are able to accomplish. It could also put us back into the playoffs possibly within a year. All of this hinges on 1 decision to make, is Keenum the future at QB or do we use that high 1st round pick on a POSSIBLE franchise QB like Mariota or Hundley?

Glad I'm not the GM that has to make that decision. If it were me making that decision I'd bet on Keenum being the future at QB and then hedge my bet with a QB pick in the upper 2nd round.
Joe Thomas is a great tackle,but his team haven't made the playoffs ever! I'm sure rams really like the draft picks,but in his 1st yr,rg3 took a bad defense to the playoffs. I say this all the time,if you have a high 1st rd grade on a qb and you can get him,you gotta do it. Being right on a qb is the best way to guarantee your team success in this era.
Old 11-11-2013   #242
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 153344 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
After watching todays game and the pressure Az. generated on Keenum , there were times he just didn't have a chance , I have to go with an elite RT with that first pick .... Unless we are drafting a QB in the first round.
The Az. defenders were on Keenum before the receivers could even turn on slant routes .... That's just not acceptable.

I expect Quessenberry to take over at LG for Wade Smith who shouldn't be resigned.

I cant rely upon B.Williams coming back and doing anything productive because of the nature of the injury.

#1 pick = an OT (unless QB).
Yeah, despite my defense of Newton it is time to realize we should go RT. Newton, if and when healthy, could prove to be a solid back up but cannot wait any longer. The way this line played yesterday, we should draft 4 OL; even Duane Brown looked pathetic. I keep hearing he plays against the best, well he is supposed to be among the best so play like it! At least Newton was a 7th not a 1st.
Old 11-11-2013   #243
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56984 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think you can ever pass on a franchise QB if one is available.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013   #244
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 153344 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie_texan View Post
I'm starting to think that mosley from 'Bama should be a go to guy in the draft. ILB is by far the weakest position in this team and the guy is a machine.
depending on where we draft either we should move back or trade into the 1st round again to grab him
He looked like a superstar against LSU but we should be able to get our pick in second round of Christian Jones, A J Johnson and Yawin Smallwood. Either should step in as starter. I also like Andrew Jackson and Skov has looked good (healthy) but these two are strictly bangers not coverage guys. If we had better and deeper DBs, I would go with one of them. I have spent days adjusting my Texans' board to get best guy for our needs but will post later today. Let's say you take Mosely who do you go after for RT, corner, safety and nose? For example, other than Ogbuehi (Texas A&M) a junior who should pull a Matthews and return to school and move up, who is a plug and play T? IMO, only JaWuan James Tennessee fits, but not a 2nd. I have rated him an early 4th, but if you wait & miss him, uh oh. The only alternative would be to move Q to RT but I really want him at LG.
Old 11-11-2013   #245
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 95075 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Yeah, despite my defense of Newton it is time to realize we should go RT. Newton, if and when healthy, could prove to be a solid back up but cannot wait any longer. The way this line played yesterday, we should draft 4 OL; even Duane Brown looked pathetic. I keep hearing he plays against the best, well he is supposed to be among the best so play like it! At least Newton was a 7th not a 1st.
I high first round pick on a LT yes. On a RT no!!!!
Old 11-11-2013   #246
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84496 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
While I agree with you if Matthews is there you take him. BPA at a position of need. Eventually Matthews shifts over to LT. Brooks and Matthews would be the best right side run blockers that this team has ever had.

This one pick would solidify the OL for yrs. Brooks will look much better with a stud like Matthews next to him.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013   #247
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 117593 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
I want a RG3 type trade from a QB needy team like the Browns. Give me both of their 1st this yr and a 3rd plus a 2015 1st. Since the Texans only seem to hit on 1st rd picks.

I dont want Rick/Gary/Wade making those picks.
The Browns probably don't agree with me but I think Hoyer is franchise material.
htownfan32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013   #248
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 75432 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

We need to spend our top 5 pick on a QB. And trade up if necessary.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013   #249
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 90207 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
It would be nice if Tampa lost out and got #1. I think they would be more willing to trade back than Jacksonville.

If we could trade up and take Bridgewater and not give up the house, that would be a huge win.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013   #250
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 191099 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
Why , so he can get killed behind the likes of Wade Smith and Derek Newton ... ??? Just take a look at the first and last plays the Texans offense ran yesterday for prime examples.

They really missed Foster yesterday too as he's very good at picking up the right guy in blitz situations , Dennis Johnson made multiple blocking errors in the second half.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013   #251
Bulls on Parade
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18764 Bulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
Very hard to define what that is. Didn't we start the franchise out by selecting David Carr with the first overall pick in 2002? And all of us would like to go back in time and select Julius Peppers instead I'm sure. Or even Ed Reed, a young one, that was very very good. Not the washed up version we have now. In most cases, it's best to go with a defensive player or an offensive lineman with a top five pick. Especially if we end up with the first overall pick again. Right now we have the 4th pick.
Old 11-11-2013   #252
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 191099 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
I am not sold on the fact that any of the QB's in this draft are "Franchise QB's."

Every one of them has their flaws ....

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013   #253
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 293187 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I am not sold on the fact that any of the QB's in this draft are "Franchise QB's."

I'm not either, but will we suck bad enough next year to go for one on the 2015 guys? Can you wait, or do we strike when we can? Would you trade away our 2014 #1 for an extra 2015 #1 hoping to package them in 2015 draft? Can we be that long-sighted?
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013   #254
Exascor
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35348 Exascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

100% agree. There seem to be a bunch of solid QBs and no sure things. We have a QB that is on pace for over 4000 yards and 37 TDs with no INTs yet. Did I mention that is against NFL defenses - not college?

If Luck, Griffin, Stafford, Newton or Ryan were coming out then maybe. This draft's QB class reminds me of 2003 or maybe 2011 without Newton.
Old 11-11-2013   #255
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
What Steel says. Matthews can switch sides in a blink. Who do we replace Brown with if he gets injured? Harris...no. I like players that play more than one position and will show in my next mock.
Old 11-11-2013   #256
Exascor
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35348 Exascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
I'm not either, but will we suck bad enough next year to go for one on the 2015 guys? Can you wait, or do we strike when we can? Would you trade away our 2014 #1 for an extra 2015 #1 hoping to package them in 2015 draft? Can we be that long-sighted?
So you would have us take a QB in the first round that isn't a franchise QB just because we have a high pick?
Old 11-11-2013   #257
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 74351 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

We're still in the middle of the CFB season and have yet to have championship games and bowl games. Then the combine, then pro days, then free agency then comes the draft. Opinions will change.
Old 11-11-2013   #258
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 293187 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exascor View Post
So you would have us take a QB in the first round that isn't a franchise QB just because we have a high pick?
I don't see an Andrew Luck slam dunk or an RG3 pre-knee.

But I've been wrong, before... I didn't think Tom Brady was a a franchise QB.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013   #259
Bulls on Parade
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18764 Bulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
We're still in the middle of the CFB season and have yet to have championship games and bowl games. Then the combine, then pro days, then free agency then comes the draft. Opinions will change.
The one opinion that will not change: Case Keenum is very capable of running the current offensive system the Texans run. If we're not going to make any major coaching changes then why try to upgrade what isn't broken? I like the idea of drafting a quarterback but in round three or four, certainly not with a potential top five pick in the first round.

I would like to see what Case Keenum can do behind a good offensive line and a strong running game to compliment his play-action passes. We lost the last three games by a combined seven points, two of them on the road, against three playoff caliber teams. Case Keenum could very easily be 3-0 and not 0-3, and he's probably undefeated if we had a healthy Arian Foster and Brian Cushing.

We have to go defense in round one (Clowney, Barr, Mosley) or offensive line. Jake Matthews will probably live up to his father's shoes and become a great one for a long time. I don't mind either of those four guys. And like I said we have the 4th overall pick right now so we can definitely land one of those guys as I type this.
Old 11-11-2013   #260
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 97166 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exascor View Post
There seem to be a bunch of solid QBs and no sure things.
No such thing as a sure thing among rookie qb's. I used to think so and sam Bradford was the last qb I thought was a sure thing. Wrong.

Before case I thought it was absolutley imperative that we draft a qb. Now I wanna see more. One thing is sure, no qb is a sure thing without a solid ol and strong supporting cast. Gimme a legit coaching staff with a pedigree for qb grooming. Gimme a legit ol, THEN give me a young qb we throw to the wolves.

Trouble is, a new coaching staff will want to live and die by their own handpicked qb. The remainder of the season is likely just an audition for case elsewhere.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read