Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 11-04-2013   #41
Exascor
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33516 Exascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: **offical texans 2014 draft thread **

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
But can you get better players? A lot of those guys are on the street for a reason.

The dead money also stays with the team. It doesn't just disappear after one year. I'm pretty sure we carried Anthony Weaver's dead money for like 3 years. It probably has something to do with the time remaining on the contract when you cut them.
First - that figure is for 1 year absorption of the dead money. 2015 the cap would be clear of all of the cap hits from those players contracts. If they do June 1st cuts on the players they defer the dead money due in 2015 and beyond to 2015. That would actually clear even more cap space in 2014. Schaub as a June 1st cut would be a $11 million cap saving in 2014 with a $7.5 million cap hit in 2015 for the remaining dead money owed.

Second - I wouldn't personally cut JJo. Schaub and Reed would be gone. That's over $6 million savings in 2014. I think you could get a better, younger backup QB for well under $3 million a year (draft pick, vet for minimum...) and ANY safety would be worth more than Reed. Reed has done nothing and doesn't play ST. UDFA, draft pick, FA or whatever. Glover Quin's first year cost only $2 million.
Old 11-04-2013   #42
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 65204 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exascor View Post
First - that figure is for 1 year absorption of the dead money. 2015 the cap would be clear of all of the cap hits from those players contracts. If they do June 1st cuts on the players they defer the dead money due in 2015 and beyond to 2015. That would actually clear even more cap space in 2014. Schaub as a June 1st cut would be a $11 million cap saving in 2014 with a $7.5 million cap hit in 2015 for the remaining dead money owed.

Second - I wouldn't personally cut JJo. Schaub and Reed would be gone. That's over $6 million savings in 2014. I think you could get a better, younger backup QB for well under $3 million a year (draft pick, vet for minimum...) and ANY safety would be worth more than Reed. Reed has done nothing and doesn't play ST. UDFA, draft pick, FA or whatever. Glover Quin's first year cost only $2 million.
Good points. There is one huge problem hanging like a shroud over our salary cap though and that's J.J. Watt. That man is going to get paid and we need to start planning for it now. We will have a lot of these contracts of the books by then (Daniels, Manning, Ninja, Wade Smith). Watt will be an UFA in 2015 and we don't want a lot of dead money back-loading the cap and hindering our ability to sign him.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013   #43
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57325 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I think OD needs to take a pay cut or he will probably be gone.
Good player, but too often injured.
We would have nearly $5M to get a replacement for him.

Well, not quite, since we will need to re-up Graham.

Any preference out of this list?

http://overthecap.com/freeagents.php...n=TE&Year=2014
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013   #44
Exascor
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33516 Exascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
I think OD needs to take a pay cut or he will probably be gone.
Good player, but too often injured.
We would have nearly $5M to get a replacement for him.

Well, not quite, since we will need to re-up Graham.

Any preference out of this list?

http://overthecap.com/freeagents.php...n=TE&Year=2014
The only one on that list that is worth anything is the only one you won't get - Jimmy Graham.
Old 11-05-2013   #45
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 164415 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
our biggest problem is we need a kicker.

I wonder what the record for most missed kicks in a season is?
Hold on cause we're about to find out!
Old 11-05-2013   #46
PHILLYTEXANFAN
Veteran

Rep Power: 2436 PHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
Hold on cause we're about to find out!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHILLYTEXANFAN View Post
Jake Matthews please
Too add to this, If i gone, just address the defense, Khalil Mack is a monster, and I personally love HAHA and or Clowney
PHILLYTEXANFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013   #47
SAMURAITEXAN 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 16963 SAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Anything but QB, RB, TE on 1st rd would do.

I would like for Texans' FO to take a hard look at LB, DL in 2014 draft prospects. I think we really need a strong front 7 but, like I mentioned the above, anything but QB, RB, TE would do.
SAMURAITEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013   #48
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144460 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm no cap due either so maybe someone that is better can help here. Pretty sure I'm correct though. Example -

Schaub is due in 2014:
10,000,000 salary
1,000,000 roster bonus
3,500,000 prorated bonus
Total 2014 cap hit if on the roster - 14,500,000

Dead money if Schaub is cut:

Cap saving if cut:
14,500,000 (cap hit) - 10,500,000 (dead money) = 4,000,000
Wrong wrong wrong.

Schaubs actual salary has nothing to do with his cap hit should he be cut.

The guaranteed $$$ is all that counts against the cap if you cut him. Any money that isn't guaranteed is no longer owed / counted against the cap.

Schaub's deal was $62m over 4 years with $24.75 guaranteed. They will be on the hook for whatever hasn't been paid of that $24.75m which is reportedly about $15m.
You can throw out the salary & roster bonus completely as its only paid if he is on the roster.

Should they cut him and designate him as a June 1 cut , they can spread that over the remaining $15m in guaranteed money over the next two seasons.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013   #49
Exascor
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
Wrong wrong wrong.

Schaubs actual salary has nothing to do with his cap hit should he be cut.

The guaranteed $$$ is all that counts against the cap if you cut him. Any money that isn't guaranteed is no longer owed / counted against the cap.

Schaub's deal was $62m over 4 years with $24.75 guaranteed. They will be on the hook for whatever hasn't been paid of that $24.75m which is reportedly about $15m.
You can throw out the salary & roster bonus completely as its only paid if he is on the roster.

Should they cut him and designate him as a June 1 cut , they can spread that over the remaining $15m in guaranteed money over the next two seasons.
Hehe - actually you agreed with my post but your numbers are off. His salary does matter if he isn't released. Hence the 14.5 cap hit. If he is released, the remainder of his bonus is due which is 10.5. That means there's a 4 million cap savings if he's cut vs if he's on the roster.

I wouldn't designate Schaub a June 1st cut. All that does is push 7.5 million to 2015 when a certain Mr Watt will be getting a new contract. I'd absorb the 10.5 in 2014.
Old 11-07-2013   #50
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56437 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

A draft of

Rd.1 Nix
rd,2 Murphy
Rd.3 Skov
Rd.4 Mewhort

Cutting Schaub/Reed/Antonio should free up enough cap $$$$ to find a good FS and a nickle CB. You would still have depth problems but you would have a defense that could stop the run and have an improved pass rush. Mewhort would be the RT or atleast provide depth that is currently lacking. Hopefully Williams and Ques can make it back and the OL problems will be solved.

Drafting these guys on defense would add much needed toughness on defense and free up Watt and Cushing.

Of course what really needs to be done is Rick/Gary need to be fired and take Bullock with them. Of course that would be too traumatic for BoB.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013   #51
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 87576 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Matt Schaub's contract was 5 years for $66.15 million. $29.15 guaranteed. 29.15 - 17.5 (signing bonus in MS hands)= $11.65 guaranteed to be paid. $11.65 - 4.4 (2012 base)= 7.25 guaranteed to be paid. $7.25m - 3.05m (2012 misc. bonus)= 4.2m. $4.2m guaranteed to be paid - $7.25m (2013 base) = guarantee fully paid and $3.05m over the guarantee toward remaining contract at end of 2013 season.
Old 11-07-2013   #52
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144460 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Hehe - actually you agreed with my post but your numbers are off. His salary does matter if he isn't released. Hence the 14.5 cap hit. If he is released, the remainder of his bonus is due which is 10.5. That means there's a 4 million cap savings if he's cut vs if he's on the roster.

I wouldn't designate Schaub a June 1st cut. All that does is push 7.5 million to 2015 when a certain Mr Watt will be getting a new contract. I'd absorb the 10.5 in 2014.
You got the numbers close but how you got there was all wrong .... guaranteed $$ , that's all that matters. Throw the rest out the window. It doesn't matter.

I'm sure we've all heard the numbers several dozen times over the past month , but how we arrive at those numbers is easily misunderstood because everyone tells us something different. I hear the radio personalities making the same mistakes ....

I looked up Schaubs contract on Sportrac - its 5 years , $ $66.15m with $17.5m in up front signing bonus money and $29.15m in total guaranteed money.

He's been paid $11.7m & $7.25m over the first two years including salary and signing bonus money that has affected the cap leaving a total of $11.5m in guaranteed $$ which would affect the cap should he be cut.
There was a miscellaneous payment to Schaub in 2012 of $3.05m I didn't add into the above as it just doesn't add up correctly.
Some of that affects the final cap number , some doesn't. According to Sportracs calculations only $1m of that comes off the remaining total leaving him $10.5m in total cap ramifications. The remaining is likely roster and incentive money.

As for designating Schaub a June1 cut or not , I'm kinda torn here and a lot depends upon what you believe you can accomplish in the 2014 season as well as who else you part with. There are several I'd cut who total about a 21m savings against the cap without factoring in Schaub. (J.Jo , Ed Reed & OD).

Do you want the extra money this season or next to play with in FA?? It could be better spent this season depending upon the quality you are able to get.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013   #53
Exascor
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
You got the numbers close but how you got there was all wrong .... guaranteed $$ , that's all that matters. Throw the rest out the window. It doesn't matter.

I'm sure we've all heard the numbers several dozen times over the past month , but how we arrive at those numbers is easily misunderstood because everyone tells us something different. I hear the radio personalities making the same mistakes ....

I looked up Schaubs contract on Sportrac - its 5 years , $ $66.15m with $17.5m in up front signing bonus money and $29.15m in total guaranteed money.

He's been paid $11.7m & $7.25m over the first two years including salary and signing bonus money that has affected the cap leaving a total of $11.5m in guaranteed $$ which would affect the cap should he be cut.
There was a miscellaneous payment to Schaub in 2012 of $3.05m I didn't add into the above as it just doesn't add up correctly.
Some of that affects the final cap number , some doesn't. According to Sportracs calculations only $1m of that comes off the remaining total leaving him $10.5m in total cap ramifications. The remaining is likely roster and incentive money.

As for designating Schaub a June1 cut or not , I'm kinda torn here and a lot depends upon what you believe you can accomplish in the 2014 season as well as who else you part with. There are several I'd cut who total about a 21m savings against the cap without factoring in Schaub. (J.Jo , Ed Reed & OD).

Do you want the extra money this season or next to play with in FA?? It could be better spent this season depending upon the quality you are able to get.
I'm really not arguing with you but this is a little funny. You said the exact thing I did and came up with the exact same number. His 17.5 million bonus was prorated over 5 years. That's 3.5 a year. He'll have 3 years left after this year. That is 10.5 owed. If we absorb his entire remaining prorated bonus in 2014 it's a 10.5 million cap hit. The only difference is you keep saying that his 2014 salary... isn't relevant to the cap. It IS relevant if he remains on the roster. If he remains on the roster the cap hit is 4 million higher than if he's cut. I call that "cap savings" and fail to see how that is wrong. Some players cap hit actually INCREASE if they are cut. I think Cushing's cap hit would go up by almost 13 million if cut next year.

There are only 3 cap situations with Schaub in the upcoming offseason:
Keep Schaub
14.5 million 2014 cap hit + 7.0 million prorated bonus due 2015+

Cut/trade Schaub
10.5 million 2014 cap hit + 0.0 due in 2015+

Cut Schaub with June 1st
3.5 million 2014 cap hit + 7.0 million cap hit in 2015

I could sure be wrong Corrosion, but I read your posts and see the exact thing I've posted. I'm definitely not great at expressing myself but it looks clear to my cramped up brain.
Old 11-11-2013   #54
Yesterday
Veteran

Rep Power: 3739 Yesterday is a quality contributor and well respectedYesterday is a quality contributor and well respectedYesterday is a quality contributor and well respectedYesterday is a quality contributor and well respectedYesterday is a quality contributor and well respectedYesterday is a quality contributor and well respectedYesterday is a quality contributor and well respectedYesterday is a quality contributor and well respectedYesterday is a quality contributor and well respectedYesterday is a quality contributor and well respectedYesterday is a quality contributor and well respected

Draft Jake Matthews
Yesterday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013   #55
Texan in Japan
All Pro

Rep Power: 3952 Texan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yesterday View Post
Draft Jake Matthews
This! I remember the Luv U Blue days and the Oline we had was second to none. However, there are a few OTs this year and we could trade down and get some extra picks and still get a decent RT. However, guys like Matthews would be great to stick in on the right side and if something happens to Brown he could slide over without killing us.

Texan, back in Texas!
Texan in Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013   #56
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 58841 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

As it has often been pointed out on this board, the Texans are a PR team that happens to also have a football team.

If the Texans really go 3-13 or thereabouts, it may go down as the worst season ever. If so, I wonder if the organization will be wary of repeating the Mario Williams debacle. I wouldn't be surprised if the Texans took a flashy offensive player over a lineman or defender.

It all depends on if there is a new coach and if Keenum pans out. Even if he does, a new coach may not want to build his franchise around an undrafted QB.
The1ApplePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013   #57
Exascor
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1ApplePie View Post
It all depends on if there is a new coach and if Keenum pans out. Even if he does, a new coach may not want to build his franchise around an undrafted QB.
At what point does a QB go from undrafted to starting caliber? Any coach taking over this team has to evaluate the talent on the roster. If Keenum comes close to his current level of play over the remaining 7 games and the head coach says they HAVE to draft a new QB then he probably isn't worth hiring. Keenum is playing against much better defenses than ANY current college QB and doing very well against them. Isn't that what you want from a young QB?
Old 11-12-2013   #58
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57325 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Corrosion, teams don't need to spend all of their cap space, they can always carry it over to the next year.

The new CBA only dictate that teams have to spend at least 89.1% of the total cap between 2013-2016.

One can spend just 70% three years in a row and make up the final number in 2016 if one likes.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013   #59
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 225226 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to infantrycak

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1ApplePie View Post
As it has often been pointed out on this board, the Texans are a PR team that happens to also have a football team.

If the Texans really go 3-13 or thereabouts, it may go down as the worst season ever. If so, I wonder if the organization will be wary of repeating the Mario Williams debacle. I wouldn't be surprised if the Texans took a flashy offensive player over a lineman or defender..
I don't understand this reasoning. Pretty much all but the most die hard VY fans now admit the Texans made the correct decision. If anything, I would think that would embolden the Texans to do it again.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read