Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Closed Thread

Old 11-10-2013   #161
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 72571 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Arian Foster (season ending back surgery)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
There was a Northwestern study published in the March issue of the Journal of American Sports Medicine that examined records of NFL OL and DL, who had herniated disc surgery during their active careers over a 2 decade period (~1990-2010) that were publicly available.......in order to determine their career outcomes, They found a total of 52. Not only did 80 percent of these particular players return to the game, they also played an average of 33 games during three years after the surgery. About half of them attained starter position. When you look at these surprisingly encouraging number, you must keep in mind that the 52 number was for those known to the public through the media and the stats through the NFL. The specific surgery and pathology in most cases were not available to assess "minor" vs "major"........and, we all know that public information released by the teams many times is of dubious accuracy. As we also know, NFL players have surgeries that are never made public. Not only that, but you need to ask yourself how many NFL players have had back issues, retired and THEN had surgeries, instead of opting to try continuting their careers through surgery. These latter players would not be counted in these stats and would likely add significantly to the "poor outcome" category.

There are no other studies I am aware of NFL players (including RBs) undergoing back surgeries. With this said, yes, OL and DL put great amounts of strain on their backs, but they do not typically sustain this strain under high impact situations from not only head-on, but also from the sides as is the case with RBs. Keep in mind that it is not uncommon that after one level of disc problems are demonstrated, other levels being affected may be not far behind. As disc problems may commonly be the result of compensation for other injuries, even if this episode of Foster's disc problem is surgically corrected, with his recurrent history of significant lower extremity injuries (and these are likely to continue to recur) , I would be very guarded about his long-term prognosis as a RB.
Every single person I know that has had back surgery either had multiple surgeries or were going to have a second procedure done in the near future. I have no faith in Foster returning to form and I wouldn't be surprised at all if he calls it a career. He's got other things he's into and would certainly be welcomed into the NFL commentator world. He's very articulate and quirky in a funny way.
Old 11-10-2013   #162
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 209602 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: Arian Foster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
Hadn't been putting in my regular 30 hour days on the forum.... preoccupied with other crap. Just now finding out about Arian...... arrrggh.

I'm running low on koolaid.
Old 11-10-2013   #163
GlassHalfFull 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 53441 GlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Arian Foster

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Hadn't been putting in my regular 30 hour days on the forum.... preoccupied with other crap. Just now finding out about Arian...... arrrggh.

I'm running low on koolaid.
I want 30 hour days.

As for the Foster news, ugh. Yuck. Depressing

Best wishes to him for a speedy recovery, whether he never plays another down of football or not.
Old 11-10-2013   #164
Mr.Scarface
Rookie

Rep Power: 1714 Mr.Scarface is a quality contributor and well respectedMr.Scarface is a quality contributor and well respectedMr.Scarface is a quality contributor and well respectedMr.Scarface is a quality contributor and well respectedMr.Scarface is a quality contributor and well respectedMr.Scarface is a quality contributor and well respectedMr.Scarface is a quality contributor and well respectedMr.Scarface is a quality contributor and well respectedMr.Scarface is a quality contributor and well respectedMr.Scarface is a quality contributor and well respectedMr.Scarface is a quality contributor and well respected

This game is why you need Arian. Tate cannot make the same plays........
Old 11-10-2013   #165
hradhak
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 6498 hradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Scarface View Post
Yeah you have to wonder how this offense would do these last 3 games with Foster. We can't seem to move the ball in the 2nd half because our run game shuts down.
Old 11-10-2013   #166
SchaubApologist
Veteran

Rep Power: 3967 SchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respected

Arian Foster's contract holds dead cap $:

2014 - 7.5mil
2015 - 5mil

I think he's cut after the season. No sense in holding onto the contract when it can come off the books in 2015 (coincidentally when we have to resign Watt to a MEGA contract). A 28 y/o rb coming off a ton of usage + back surgery does not bode well for his look.

Texans need to get our cap in order, and I think we can be competitive next season while shedding a few of our big $ contracts, such as:

Arian Foster
Matt Schaub (3.5mil for '14, 7mil for '15)
Owen Daniels
Antonio Smith
Ed Reed
Danieal Manning

Hell, I would include Jonathan Joseph if I knew what his contract looked like, but it's been restructured so many damn times (thanks rick) it's a bit hazy.
Old 11-11-2013   #167
legacy_gt
All Pro

Rep Power: 7091 legacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respected

it's a serious injury. think about it, you're going to repair your back and then rehab so you can get hit again. depending on how he heals after surgery, I wouldn't count on foster being the same longterm when he returns, especially with the hamstring issues too.

it may be that his hamstring issues was a result (hamstrings are pulled from the back) from some major back issues.
Old 11-11-2013   #168
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Section: 135J 5-8
Rep Power: 20837 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Scarface View Post
He's only playing with cracked ribs... No problem yo!

In response to the new Vance Joseph Hiring:
Old 11-11-2013   #169
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 52681 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBCooper View Post
I'm starting to think that CnD works for the Texans or knows someone on the Texans medical staff.

His assessment of our players injuries are incredibly ACCURATE!
Wouldnt that pretty much guarantee he has no relationship at all with Texan medical personnel?
Old 11-11-2013   #170
MEGA SWATT
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15515 MEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respected

Get well soon AF
Old 11-16-2013   #171
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 182645 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Foster underwent his back surgery on Thursday.
Old 03-16-2014   #172
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66536 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

For those interested, Arian's back on Twitter again (whoopee!), and tweeted this out earlier this morning:

Quote:
Arian FosterVerified account ‏@ArianFoster

And for those wondering, I've been medically cleared by my doctor.
LINK
Old 03-16-2014   #173
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83034 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
For those interested, Arian's back on Twitter again (whoopee!), and tweeted this out earlier this morning:

LINK
I'll still wait on the "anti-awesome" results.
Old 04-09-2014   #174
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...as-it-sounded/

Foster claims it was not 'major'
Old 04-09-2014   #175
chicagotexan2
IDBLDogDareU

Rep Power: 116519 chicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respected

It's not major because season ending bak problems are minor? This guy has gone from colorful and entertaining to annoying real fast in my book.
Old 04-09-2014   #176
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 243165 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
Awesome! Can't wait to see him rip off another 1,400-1,500 yard season next year. Looking forward to it!
Old 04-09-2014   #177
EllisUnit
Homerism Champ

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 78686 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

That's what I'm saying. The guy has been a touch down and yardage machine besides last season due to injury, but when he was in there he was effective. I don't see how so many have given up on him for half a bad season. I havent.
Old 04-10-2014   #178
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 209602 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
That's what I'm saying. The guy has been a touch down and yardage machine besides last season due to injury, but when he was in there he was effective. I don't see how so many have given up on him for half a bad season. I havent.
With Arian saying it wasn't major, I wouldn't be surprised to find out they pulled the plug on him after 6 straight losses, like they pulled the plug on Matt... the fix was in & we were going to get that #1 pick.
Old 04-10-2014   #179
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72604 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I keep thinking of Shaun Cody
Old 04-10-2014   #180
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
There was a Northwestern study published in the March issue of the Journal of American Sports Medicine that examined records of NFL OL and DL, who had herniated disc surgery during their active careers over a 2 decade period (~1990-2010) that were publicly available.......in order to determine their career outcomes, They found a total of 52. Not only did 80 percent of these particular players return to the game, they also played an average of 33 games during three years after the surgery. About half of them attained starter position. When you look at these surprisingly encouraging number, you must keep in mind that the 52 number was for those known to the public through the media and the stats through the NFL. The specific surgery and pathology in most cases were not available to assess "minor" vs "major"........and, we all know that public information released by the teams many times is of dubious accuracy. As we also know, NFL players have surgeries that are never made public. Not only that, but you need to ask yourself how many NFL players have had back issues, retired and THEN had surgeries, instead of opting to try continuting their careers through surgery. These latter players would not be counted in these stats and would likely add significantly to the "poor outcome" category.

There are no other studies I am aware of NFL players (including RBs) undergoing back surgeries. With this said, yes, OL and DL put great amounts of strain on their backs, but they do not typically sustain this strain under high impact situations from not only head-on, but also from the sides as is the case with RBs. Keep in mind that it is not uncommon that after one level of disc problems are demonstrated, other levels being affected may be not far behind. As disc problems may commonly be the result of compensation for other injuries, even if this episode of Foster's disc problem is surgically corrected, with his recurrent history of significant lower extremity injuries (and these are likely to continue to recur) , I would be very guarded about his long-term prognosis as a RB.
MSR

Thanks Doc

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read