Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-10-2013   #41
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans FO frustrated with Kubiak?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix31 View Post
We need some leaks about Joe Marciano, man.
Why don't fans chant "Fire Marciano" at the game?
Does he deserve it?
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013   #42
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 65637 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
What exactly is Rick's job?
Rick is a GM in much the same way Scott Pioli was a GM to Bill Belichick. Belichick trusted Pioli to do the things that Belichick needed him to do. Like Belichick, Gary Kubiak has final say on the 53 man roster. Unlike Belichick, Kubiak can't manage the salary cap or organize a draft. So to answer your question it is Rick's job to do whatever it is Gary needs him to do. Whatever Rick does , he does with Kubiak's blessing. I don't believe it was a coincidence that Rick was asst GM in Denver and knew how Gary wanted things to run before being hired by Houston.

So if the front office is truly angry, they're angry at Smubiak.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013   #43
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78831 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Does he deserve it?

I wish they would. All I can do is tweet at the official Texans Twitter incessantly. Fans in the stadium should chant. They probably don't even know his NAME.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013   #44
Naija Texan
Rookie

Rep Power: 946 Naija Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedNaija Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedNaija Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedNaija Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedNaija Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedNaija Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedNaija Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedNaija Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedNaija Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedNaija Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedNaija Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
are they saying they keep them on the field too long after their production falls off... or are they saying they just keep them on the field too long?

Because there was plenty of times last season and the season before where we could've got starters out of the game and used garbage time to develop other players and build depth. If we did that the #2 QB position could've been solved before camp even started and Foster might have not been ran into the ground like he was.
Not sure if that is what they meant but I agree. Based on history the only ways for a young player to see significant time on the field, are being a high draft pick at a position of need, injury or being a guy who they really like.

We have no rotation at OLB (Reed and Mercilus are rarely moved out unless injured or garbage time), with Cushing out, it seems like we won't have one at ILB even though Sharpton and Mays both are spotty at coverage duties and before injuries to Schaub, Martin along with our main RBs and Keenum being elevated, Jean and Posey weren't even getting targeted on the field in most cases.

Brice McCain has been horrible but he still gets put out as the nickle corner and in more then a few games is the one who gets targeted.

If I was a front office guy, who brings in talented guys that may or may not get consideration over vets they are better then I'd be frustrated with the coaching too for ignoring guys I thought would help the team for their personal favorites and projects.
Naija Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013   #45
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 65637 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Does he deserve it?
It might have to do with him being a single Dad with an autistic son. And Joe is not just a good guy in the community he's a great guy in the community. So it's kind of hard to hate on Joe Marciano. IMHO I think Bob McNair has taking a special liking to Joe Marciano.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013   #46
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 122990 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulls on Parade View Post
I blame Rick Smith. Shelling out big bucks to extend Matt Schaub, Arian Foster and even Brian Cushing, when he didn't have to. We should have waited until the off-season. If any of them leave then so be it. We've lost good players in free agency before like Mario Williams. Now we have to restructure all of those contracts next off-season. We may release Matt Schaub after June 1.
I think the consensus at the time was "Great Job Rick!" on all three signings.

No one expected Matt to become a turnover machine and complete go Jamarcus Russell on the field. ESP after romo getting his hugh payday

Getting foster and Brian signed was a good thing to keep them locked up ESP with watts contract coming up. No one forecasted foster getting banged up all year and or even Cushing getting his knees taken out.

But hindsight is 20/20
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013   #47
CretorFrigg
Fire Rick Smith

Rep Power: 35618 CretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
I think the consensus at the time was "Great Job Rick!" on all three signings.

No one expected Matt to become a turnover machine and complete go Jamarcus Russell on the field. ESP after romo getting his hugh payday

Getting foster and Brian signed was a good thing to keep them locked up ESP with watts contract coming up. No one forecasted foster getting banged up all year and or even Cushing getting his knees taken out.

But hindsight is 20/20
Rick Smith is getting paid millions of dollars to do his job. If he just went with the general consensus, he's way overpaid, because we could just bring in an average-Joe Texans fan to do the job.

I don't care if it was popular at the time. All I care about is results, and I didn't see that from Rick Smith.
Old 11-10-2013   #48
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 70559 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think there is a gm in the nfl that tells the coaching staff how they must handle gameday player rotation.

I agree with the primary criticism. I just don't see a functional organization having a gm with that level of input... Though, it is a perfectly reasonable conversation and issue to address with coaching staff privately... Just not to demand.
Old 11-10-2013   #49
AMartin56
Veteran

Rep Power: 2935 AMartin56 is a quality contributor and well respectedAMartin56 is a quality contributor and well respectedAMartin56 is a quality contributor and well respectedAMartin56 is a quality contributor and well respectedAMartin56 is a quality contributor and well respectedAMartin56 is a quality contributor and well respectedAMartin56 is a quality contributor and well respectedAMartin56 is a quality contributor and well respectedAMartin56 is a quality contributor and well respectedAMartin56 is a quality contributor and well respectedAMartin56 is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not surprised that our local media didn't report this (because they suck) but I AM a bit surprised that the national media found us relevant enough to bother with for a brief article...good to hear in any case. Kubiak needs to go.
AMartin56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013   #50
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 122990 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CretorFrigg View Post
Rick Smith is getting paid millions of dollars to do his job. If he just went with the general consensus, he's way overpaid, because we could just bring in an average-Joe Texans fan to do the job.

I don't care if it was popular at the time. All I care about is results, and I didn't see that from Rick Smith.
Again, if not for injuries..we wouldnt be discussing this ( these three players) well edit. Schaub just went AWOL
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013   #51
CretorFrigg
Fire Rick Smith

Rep Power: 35618 CretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
Again, if not for injuries..we wouldnt be discussing this ( these three players) well edit. Schaub just went AWOL
It's Rick Smith's job to sign back-ups as well. Every team suffers from injuries. It's going to happen in the NFL. The good teams have back-ups that are ready to step-up and step in.

As for Schaub's decline, it started way before this year. His decline started at last half of last season. As a GM, you have to recognize that players are going to decline and prepare for them.
Old 11-10-2013   #52
amazing80
Site Contributor

Section: my couch
Rep Power: 80234 amazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CretorFrigg View Post
It's Rick Smith's job to sign back-ups as well. Every team suffers from injuries. It's going to happen in the NFL. The good teams have back-ups that are ready to step-up and step in.

As for Schaub's decline, it started way before this year. His decline started at last half of last season. As a GM, you have to recognize that players are going to decline and prepare for them.
its two fold. rick couldnt just say, matt sucks im not signing him....were going with yates....gary has lots to do with that...at least rick made it so we can cut schaub this off-season
Old 11-10-2013   #53
Naija Texan
Rookie

Rep Power: 946 Naija Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedNaija Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedNaija Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedNaija Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedNaija Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedNaija Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedNaija Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedNaija Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedNaija Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedNaija Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedNaija Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
It might have to do with him being a single Dad with an autistic son. And Joe is not just a good guy in the community he's a great guy in the community. So it's kind of hard to hate on Joe Marciano. IMHO I think Bob McNair has taking a special liking to Joe Marciano.
That would explain a lot. But McNair has to be a business man in regards to this team at some point or he is no better then Jerry Jones. Hook Marciano up with a job at one of his other businesses but this HAS to be Marciano's final season with the team.
Naija Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013   #54
SchaubApologist
Veteran

Rep Power: 3968 SchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaubApologist is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
Wrong, it's quite easy to hate Joe Marciano the ST Coordinator.

I do not care about that other stuff.
SchaubApologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013   #55
CretorFrigg
Fire Rick Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazing80 View Post
its two fold. rick couldnt just say, matt sucks im not signing him....were going with yates....gary has lots to do with that...at least rick made it so we can cut schaub this off-season
That's why both have got to go.
Old 11-10-2013   #56
Seegara
Veteran

Rep Power: 8706 Seegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respected

He should have been replaced years ago so that he wouldn't have had a stress attack.
Seegara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013   #57
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 78716 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
Interesting time for this to be published, especially with an organization that rarely has leaks.

Change is coming.
Sounds like Rick Smith attempting to keep his job.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013   #58
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 54156 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
Sounds like Rick Smith attempting to keep his job.
I hope McNair's first move is to ditch him, and then the whole staff.

At a time when the head coach is unhealthy, and a FO source comes after the interim coach with defensive criticism, it shows there is little integrity or control in the FO.
Old 11-10-2013   #59
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 78716 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix31 View Post
I have zero real problems with Rick Smith. That guy has done an amazing job over the years. Of course some moves have panned out and others haven't. This is real life.
What has Smith done exacty other than re-upping schaub, signing reed, and subpar draft classes.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013   #60
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 265163 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
I hope McNair's first move is to ditch him, and then the whole staff.

At a time when the head coach is unhealthy, and a FO source comes after the interim coach with defensive criticism, it shows there is little integrity or control in the FO.
I think McNair's lost the team.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read