Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: Who gets the start at QB after the buy?
Keenum 162 88.52%
Schaub 21 11.48%
Voters: 183. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-07-2013   #561
santo
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 25222 santo is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Who gets the start at QB after the bye?

This may be hard to believe but Keenum was actually fighting for the #1 spot. TJ was trying to keep his backup job.
santo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013   #562
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 173167 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Let's say Kubiak named Case the #2 QB to start the season & everything went according to plan. Late December, we're 12-2, something happens to Schaub. Now our back-up QB becomes our starting QB & Kubiak is going into the play-offs for the third straight year with a virgin QB.

Kubiak was thinking Super Bowl.... I was thinking Super Bowl, & he was putting us in the best position to win it.
I guess by "virgin" you mean a QB w/o playoff experience...? So what? Do you really think Yates had shown enough to be a playoff winner? I don't.

Also, with us being 12-2 you'd have to also assume we had already clinched the division and homefield so Kubiak would have two games to get Keenum in a playoff-ready mental state. Of course this is your scenario and you could have both our losses being at the hands of the Colts and they're also 12-2 and win the tie-breaker - I know you're twisted that way. Still, our playoff position is locked and the last two games are training opportunities. I could actually see Kubiak giving Yates significant snaps just in case something happens to Keenum. That's the course of action that would put us in the "best position to win it" with Schaub gone for the year.

Quote:
Still, I don't know how much of the play-book Case knew in the preseason. That was his first camp even running our plays. He looked fine in the preseason, basically playing streetball. We don't know how well he read the defenses, we don't know if his receivers were where they were supposed to be (most likely they weren't because these weren't our ones he was throwing to) we don't know how the line picked up their assignments, or the backs.
Case was "running our plays" last camp. I went to open camp, I saw him do it. So I don't know where you get that statement.

Quote:
All the preseason does is put him in situations that he & the HC/OC/QB coach can talk about the following week. Find out what he was thinking, what he saw, & why he did what he did.
That's true for all QBs, Schaub included. They (HC, OC, QBs) always do a debrief to see what opportunities/points were "left on the field". That's every week, not just preseason. Preseason gives the brain trust a chance to evaluate who's better at it going into the year. I wish I could find the Kubiak quote, but I seem to recall him saying that Yates and Keenum were more 2A and 2B than #2 and #3.

Quote:
For all we know, Tj beat him straight up. Maybe scoring a 67 on the plays he was in & Case scoring a 49 on the plays he was in. We don't know. Only the guys in that room the following week knows.
No we don't. That's why I prefaced my statement with "this may be just me"...
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013   #563
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28662 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVOLVIST View Post
Where is Leebigeztx, anyway? I'd like to hear his take on Keenum's fvcking fettuccini arm after last night's aerial display from Case's supposed limp member.

We still need a larger sample size on Case, though. Still, Leebigeztx's absence is about as curious as Schaub's was when Schaub wasn't available for post-game quotes.
I don't run bro. I may not check the board everyday cause I'm a business. If you read what I said about case both positive and negative I stand by them. To me ,as I said, his best assett is he will shoot his gun. To me that's vital because we see qbs like jason campbell who is scared to do so. Of all the throws, the best throw was the 3yd td to andre. The other 2 were schemed to get him away from the trash of the pocket. As I've said before,I'm not the kinda of guy who feels you should have to scheme the qb in such a manner. I like to see my qb throw deep from the well. In the grand scheme defensive disciplined teams will force you to do that. Ultimately,he's done what the coaches have asked and I hope he contiues his progress. This week vs the cards front 7 and backend will get a good test for him. After 4 games of tape, adjustment will be made and hopefully he fairs well.
Old 11-08-2013   #564
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigeztx View Post
I don't run bro. I may not check the board everyday cause I'm a business. If you read what I said about case both positive and negative I stand by them. To me ,as I said, his best assett is he will shoot his gun. To me that's vital because we see qbs like jason campbell who is scared to do so. Of all the throws, the best throw was the 3yd td to andre. The other 2 were schemed to get him away from the trash of the pocket. As I've said before,I'm not the kinda of guy who feels you should have to scheme the qb in such a manner. I like to see my qb throw deep from the well. In the grand scheme defensive disciplined teams will force you to do that. Ultimately,he's done what the coaches have asked and I hope he contiues his progress. This week vs the cards front 7 and backend will get a good test for him. After 4 games of tape, adjustment will be made and hopefully he fairs well.
So when you said "Keenum is not an NFL Quarterback", is that positive or negative?

There's a scheme involved on every play in any NFL offense.
On the TD down the middle, Bethea didn't bite the play action fake.
Keenum saw him turn his head and put the ball where only Andre can get to.
The other long pass down the middle when Keenum scrambled to the right and came back to the inside was an off-schedule play; the Colts didn't buy that one either.

The TD pass to Hopkins was thrown from the well.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013   #565
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28662 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
So when you said "Keenum is not an NFL Quarterback", is that positive or negative?

There's a scheme involved on every play in any NFL offense.
On the TD down the middle, Bethea didn't bite the play action fake.
Keenum saw him turn his head and put the ball where only Andre can get to.
The other long pass down the middle when Keenum scrambled to the right and came back to the inside was an off-schedule play; the Colts didn't buy that one either.

The TD pass to Hopkins was thrown from the well.
To be clear, I said he doesn't have an nfl arm required to threaten certain quads of the field. I talked about the chiefs game and the rte conversion from a post to a flag or deep out. The.breaking routes outside the numbers. You watch enough tape or u say you do, so I don't have to explain that one. That being said, there are a lot of routes brady can't throw outside,yet he's very successful.

In another thread, you mentioned meeting me. That would be cool. Aside from training camp and games, I'll be at the senior bowl scouting qbs. Lol
Old 11-08-2013   #566
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

The 30yd pass to AJ down the left side line was thrown from the well, with pressure in his face, and he took the hit as he delivered the ball, too.

The same thing happened on the 31yd pass to Hopkins down the left side line in the 4th quarter.

On another throw, He barely missed AJ down the left side line as the ball bounced off AJ's hands.

He led Posey just long down the right side line into the endzone from the well.
Old 11-08-2013   #567
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
The 30yd pass to AJ down the left side line was thrown from the well, with pressure in his face, and he took the hit as he delivered the ball, too.

The same thing happened on the 31yd pass to Hopkins down the left side line in the 4th quarter.

On another throw, He barely missed AJ down the left side line as the ball bounced off AJ's hands.

He led Posey just long down the right side line into the endzone from the well.
U can't be this dense. Sideline shot plays don't require the same ball velocity as a 15yd out route or flag route.Those shot plays are timing/touch throws. U do understand that right?
Old 11-08-2013   #568
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigeztx View Post
U can't be this dense. Sideline shot plays don't require the same ball velocity as a 15yd out route or flag route.Those shot plays are timing/touch throws. U do understand that right?
This is what I was responding to:

Quote:
Of all the throws, the best throw was the 3yd td to andre. The other 2 were schemed to get him away from the trash of the pocket. As I've said before,I'm not the kinda of guy who feels you should have to scheme the qb in such a manner. I like to see my qb throw deep from the well.
I'm not talking about arm strength here.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read