Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 11-04-2013   #21
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: First Mock2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
Based 32 yr olds Freeney and Redding signed for $4 million a yr plus last year expect that for Ninja and that will leave you approx $3-$4 mil to sign the other 14 contracts needed to fill out the roster. If you also re-sign Mitchell you're about out of money and still have to sign 13 players. And people say the Texans don't have salary cap problems.
They are going to cut salary elsewhere .... they put themselves in this cap hell thinking they had a contender. Now that they realize they don't , they'll shed some salary and reload for another run.

Schaub alone will save you ~11m next year pending they spread that cap hit over two seasons.

When you consider that , it really changes the complexion of the cap situation.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013   #22
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27437 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
Alright , after last nights game against the Dolts , I'm sold on Keenum at least for the duration of this season. With that in mind , I'm taking QB off the top of the list (for now).

1) FSU OT Cameron Erving - Big , Fast , Nasty. Clemson's Vic Beasley was shut down by Erving. Beasley came into the game leading the nation in sacks.
Erving has the foot speed to block at the second level. Good fit for this scheme. (Im assuming Matthews and Lewan are gone)

2) FSU ILB Christian Jones. - He may go earlier but most sources have him rated as a second round selection now. Cushing needs some help inside. Jones is a dynamic ILB. If he's gone Tennessee's AJ Johnson and UConn's Yawin Smallwood are in the conversation.

3) Washington NT Danny Shelton 6'1" 330 .... finally a tree stump in the middle that can get some push.

4) North Carolina FS Tre Boston - Ed Reed is stealing right now , he wont be back. Depth on the back end will be important.

5) Georgia TE Arthur Lynch - OD costs too much. Lynch is a strong blocker and reliable pass catcher.

6) Notre Dame CB Bennett Jackson - You can never have enough corners.

7) West Texas A&M DE/OLB Ethan Westbrooks - Classic tweener pass rush project.

I'm not familiar with the 6th and 7th round guys but there's alot of talent in those first 5 picks. I like this mock and would have no problem if our draft went down like this.

Is Shelton quick enough to get penetration in our 1 gap system?
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013   #23
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 123706 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
I'm not familiar with the 6th and 7th round guys but there's alot of talent in those first 5 picks. I like this mock and would have no problem if our draft went down like this.

Is Shelton quick enough to get penetration in our 1 gap system?
My opinion is Shelton is not a penetrator but can clog middle, 30 tackles. I prefer Carrethers almost identical height/weight but has 3.5 sacks to 1 for Shelton and 63 tackles. Both are ranked about same with Shelton a junior 21 YOA and Carrethers a RSR at 23 (Feb 2014).

Interesting personal accounts on Shelton: http://www.thenewstribune.com/2013/0...hallenges.html

http://seattletimes.com/html/highsch..._4aspsl01.html
Old 11-07-2013   #24
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 47761 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
My opinion is Shelton is not a penetrator but can clog middle, 30 tackles. I prefer Carrethers almost identical height/weight but has 3.5 sacks to 1 for Shelton and 63 tackles. Both are ranked about same with Shelton a junior 21 YOA and Carrethers a RSR at 23 (Feb 2014).

Interesting personal accounts on Shelton: http://www.thenewstribune.com/2013/0...hallenges.html

I agree with badboy. Take Carrerthers over Shelton early 4th but not high 3rd.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013   #25
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
I agree with badboy. Take Carrerthers over Shelton early 4th but not high 3rd.
I think they are much the same player at this point , both can clog the middle.

One of the reasons I take Shelton over Carrerthers is the difference in age , one being a 21 year old Jr , the other being a 23 year old Sr with a redshirt year. I think Shelton has greater potential for improvement ....

Shelton has been significantly more active against the run too .... and that's a need for this defense , stopping the run.

As long as he collapses the pocket from the middle rather than getting stonewalled and allowing the tackles to push outside rushers around the outside , he's doing his job. When the pocket collapses up front the tackles cant simply route defenders out the back door and the QB cant simply step up or sidestep pressure. This helps the outside guy's get home.

I don't think I'd complain about getting either of them , Shelton in the 3rd or Carrerthers in the 4th. Hell , both may improve their draft position between now and then.

Old 11-08-2013   #26
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72184 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think they are much the same player at this point , both can clog the middle.

One of the reasons I take Shelton over Carrerthers is the difference in age , one being a 21 year old Jr , the other being a 23 year old Sr with a redshirt year. I think Shelton has greater potential for improvement ....

Shelton has been significantly more active against the run too .... and that's a need for this defense , stopping the run.

As long as he collapses the pocket from the middle rather than getting stonewalled and allowing the tackles to push outside rushers around the outside , he's doing his job. When the pocket collapses up front the tackles cant simply route defenders out the back door and the QB cant simply step up or sidestep pressure. This helps the outside guy's get home.

I don't think I'd complain about getting either of them , Shelton in the 3rd or Carrerthers in the 4th. Hell , both may improve their draft position between now and then.
Give me Nix over both of them,

But I like Carrethers in the 3rd. He seems to have more explosion.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013   #27
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Give me Nix over both of them,

But I like Carrethers in the 3rd. He seems to have more explosion.
Sure Nix is probably the better player but .... RT and ILB are more important in the grand scheme IMO. I just cant stand another season of Newton , and after losing Cushing in back to back seasons , being left with hot garbage at ILB , its a huge need , I cant justify DT in round 1 or 2.

Right now I think you could get Carrethers in the top of the 4th round .... that may change after the combine.

Old 11-08-2013   #28
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Sure Nix is probably the better player but .... RT and ILB are more important in the grand scheme IMO. I just cant stand another season of Newton , and after losing Cushing in back to back seasons , being left with hot garbage at ILB , its a huge need , I cant justify DT in round 1 or 2.

Right now I think you could get Carrethers in the top of the 4th round .... that may change after the combine.
I see what you are saying but you have to consider talent level available at each position.
Old 11-08-2013   #29
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
I see what you are saying but you have to consider talent level available at each position.
I don't think there is a huge drop of from Nix to Shelton and Carrethers ... both of whom you could get in round 3 , maybe later.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read