Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 11-07-2013   #221
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 65775 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: T Johnathan Martin headed for NFI list, may never return to the Dolphins

Link

Quote:
Per multiple league sources, Dolphins G.M. Jeff Ireland received a call from Martin’s agent, Rick Smith, before Martin left the team on October 28. Smith complained to Ireland about the manner in which Incognito was treating Martin.

Ireland, according to the sources, suggested to Smith that Martin physically confront Incognito. Ireland specifically mentioned that Martin should “punch” Incognito.
PR nightmare for Miami.

If this is true, it's no wonder he left the team. His teammates are friggin' idiots, no help there. The GM's solution is "just punch him," no help there.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013   #222
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 235494 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: T Johnathan Martin headed for NFI list, may never return to the Dolphins

Dolphins G.M. Jeff Ireland told Martin’s agent, Rick Smith, that Martin should “punch” Incognito
Quote:
Per multiple league sources, Dolphins G.M. Jeff Ireland received a call from Martin’s agent, Rick Smith, before Martin left the team on October 28. Smith complained to Ireland about the manner in which Incognito was treating Martin.

Ireland, according to the sources, suggested to Smith that Martin physically confront Incognito. Ireland specifically mentioned that Martin should “punch” Incognito...
So this whole thing was a psychological ploy engineered by the ever classy Jeff Ireland...?
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013   #223
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 117755 Dread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
...in the Dolphins locker room, Richie Incognito was considered a black guy. He was accepted by the black players. He was an honorary black man.
And Jonathan Martin, who is bi-racial, was not. Indeed, Martin was considered less black than Incognito.

Mmmmkay, so the white guy is black but the black guy is not. Natch.

When are they just going to admit the team ordered a Code Red on Martin?

Growing up there would always be that ONE white guy or Latino who kicked it with a group of brothas and would essentially be seen as "one of us" BUT the guy in question wouldn't be dropping N-bombs. The individual in question would be seen as EITHER "cool as hell" or a "crazy muff-hugga". That might have changed since a billion years ago when I was growing up, but to me it just looks like Incognito is a jerk, but his team mates are sticking by him because that's what you do.The prevailing attitude is "The guy's an a-hole, but he's OUR a-hole."
"Why attack a man for his race or religion when there are so many other PERFECTLY good reasons?" :Dreademiah 2:16 Dread-Head. Texan from DAY ONE & PROUD Honorary Blue Crew member..."Damn it Bill!"
Dread-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013   #224
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 117755 Dread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Okay...maybe my head is in a messed up place but I can't see this pic without imagining this little blonde doing a "Chinese Finger Cuffs" thing with these two massive, collard green eatin' muff-huggas....and ewwww....
"Why attack a man for his race or religion when there are so many other PERFECTLY good reasons?" :Dreademiah 2:16 Dread-Head. Texan from DAY ONE & PROUD Honorary Blue Crew member..."Damn it Bill!"
Old 11-07-2013   #225
GlassHalfFull 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 53440 GlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread-Head View Post
Growing up there would always be that ONE white guy or Latino who kicked it with a group of brothas and would essentially be seen as "one of us" BUT the guy in question wouldn't be dropping N-bombs. The individual in question would be seen as EITHER "cool as hell" or a "crazy muff-hugga". That might have changed since a billion years ago when I was growing up, but to me it just looks like Incognito is a jerk, but his team mates are sticking by him because that's what you do.The prevailing attitude is "The guy's an a-hole, but he's OUR a-hole."
In August of my son's Sr year playing HS football, two best friends were riding together in a car - one white (although he was a ginger) and one black. These guys were inseparable prior to the following incident. The white guy was driving and they were joking around, he used the n word. The black guy punched him and broke his jaw. Which reinforces the idea that it is NOT ok for a white guy to drop the n bomb. Ruined both of their Senior years. One guy couldn't play due to injury and the other had to transfer to another school as a condition of not being charged with assault.
Old 11-07-2013   #226
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassHalfFull View Post
In August of my son's Sr year playing HS football, two best friends were riding together in a car - one white (although he was a ginger) and one black. These guys were inseparable prior to the following incident. The white guy was driving and they were joking around, he used the n word. The black guy punched him and broke his jaw. Which reinforces the idea that it is NOT ok for a white guy to drop the n bomb. Ruined both of their Senior years. One guy couldn't play due to injury and the other had to transfer to another school as a condition of not being charged with assault.
Not having been there, I can't attest to what happened, but you give a guy ONE free pass on that. Either homeboy said it repeatedly, OR said it in a context which pissed his boy the vugg off. That sounds unpleasant.
Old 11-07-2013   #227
GlassHalfFull 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 53440 GlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Not having been there, I can't attest to what happened, but you give a guy ONE free pass on that. Either homeboy said it repeatedly, OR said it in a context which pissed his boy the vugg off. That sounds unpleasant.
From what I heard, it was a reflexive action. But the story does make me skeptical of Incognito's "honorary blackness" giving him a free pass to drop the n word.
Old 11-07-2013   #228
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassHalfFull View Post
From what I heard, it was a reflexive action. But the story does make me skeptical of Incognito's "honorary blackness" giving him a free pass to drop the n word.
I think the Dolphins are in damage control mode and are encouraging the players to come forward to speak on Incognito's behalf. I'm waiting for some of his FORMER team mates to come forward to do the same as I KNOW it's not going to happen. The GM (or coach I can't remember which) asked a potential draftee last year if his mother was a prostitute. I question the intellect and decision making abilities of the Dolphins. Smart people would cut their losses.
Old 11-07-2013   #229
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27592 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Whole story pisses me off. I'm pissed off at everyone involved in it.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013   #230
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 278082 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

I played bass in a blues band for a black dude. He would always call me and the drummer (both white) his "n-bomb-with-an-'a'-s". First time he said it my eyes must have bulged out, because he laughed his ass off and said it just means good friend to him. I got used to it over time...sorta'....always kinda' weird...funny part was his white g/f getting mad at me when I said me and the drummer were crackers (a term I'd never heard before this blues band). So he could call us nbomba's, but god forbid if I laughed at the term cracker. Go figure.

We live in strange, confusing times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txn in Oki
If you think Incognito's career is ruined from this than I think you are completely wrong. If Incognito is cut someone will pick him up and I think there is a better chance of him still being on the team rather than Martin.
I tend to agree. Richie will go to some kind of sensitivity training and get picked up by the Raiders.

The NFL has shown a tendency to forgive guys for a lot of things if they still have game in them.

It's still a business at the end of the day, and marketing will spin Richie's story as reformed if he chooses that path.
Old 11-07-2013   #231
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 235494 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Incognito and Martin: An Insider’s Story

Former Miami Dolphins offensive lineman Lydon Murtha pulls back the curtain on what he saw and what he’s heard of the relationship between Richie Incognito and Jonathan Martin, from the locker room dynamic to that now-famous O-line trip to Vegas

Quote:
From the beginning, when he was drafted in April 2012, Martin did not seem to want to be one of the group. He came off as standoffish and shy to the rest of the offensive linemen. He couldn’t look anyone in the eye, which was puzzling for a football player at this level on a team full of grown-ass men. We all asked the same question: Why won’t he be open with us? What’s with the wall being put up? I never really figured it out. He did something I’d never seen before by balking at the idea of paying for a rookie dinner, which is a meal for a position group paid for by rookies. (For example, I paid $9,600 for one my rookie year.) I don’t know if Martin ever ended up paying for one, as I was cut before seeing the outcome.

Martin was expected to play left tackle beside Incognito at guard from the start, so Incognito took him under his wing. They were close friends by all apperances. Martin had a tendency to tank when things would get difficult in practice, and Incognito would lift him up. He’d say, there’s always tomorrow. Richie has been more kind to Martin than any other player.

In other situations, when Martin wasn’t showing effort, Richie would give him a lot of crap. He was a leader on the team, and he would get in your face if you were unprepared or playing poorly. The crap he would give Martin was no more than he gave anyone else, including me. Other players said the same things Incognito said to Martin, so you’d need to suspend the whole team if you suspend Incognito...
Quote:
Incognito was made a scapegoat for the hell coming down on the Dolphins organization, which in turn said it knew nothing about any so-called hazing. That’s the most outlandish lie of this whole thing. The coaches know everything. The coaches know who’s getting picked on and in many cases call for that player to be singled out. Any type of denial on that side is ridiculous. I have friends on more than a dozen teams, and it’s the same everywhere.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013   #232
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 62987 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not sure how much of an insider's story this can really be considered, when Murtha was gone from the Dolphins at the end of Martin's rookie training camp, and the introduction to the piece includes the phrase "and what he's heard" as a significant part of the description.

To me it begs the questions "When did he hear it", and "Who did he hear it from".
Old 11-07-2013   #233
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 41142 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
I played bass in a blues band for a black dude. He would always call me and the drummer (both white) his "n-bomb-with-an-'a'-s". First time he said it my eyes must have bulged out, because he laughed his ass off and said it just means good friend to him. I got used to it over time...sorta'....always kinda' weird...funny part was his white g/f getting mad at me when I said me and the drummer were crackers (a term I'd never heard before this blues band). So he could call us nbomba's, but god forbid if I laughed at the term cracker. Go figure.

We live in strange, confusing times.

I tend to agree. Richie will go to some kind of sensitivity training and get picked up by the Raiders.

The NFL has shown a tendency to forgive guys for a lot of things if they still have game in them.

It's still a business at the end of the day, and marketing will spin Richie's story as reformed if he chooses that path.
Who knew Double Barrel was somebodys "honorary" Bro ?
On Richies whereabouts nest year: remember that you tube piece where he's in the bar, bare-chested running around like a crazy man ? Well I listened closer, and I swear I heard him singing:
"O Canada! Our home and native land!"
Yea, I think Richie plays north of the border next year.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013   #234
IlliniJen
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142254 IlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respected

Declaring war on warrior culture: http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...llying-scandal

Quote:
There will always be locker-room *******s. They should be curtailed. And when a player says he needs time off for mental reasons — again: in a sport with a suicide problem — it shouldn't spark a national conversation on whether he's soft.

I am here to hurt you, so I'll also say this: You're a warrior, cool. What the hell are you a warrior for? I'm sorry if this makes it sound like I have emotions other than anger — I assure you that I don't — but tell me this: What's the point of being strong if all you stand for is abusing a suffering teammate? Those guys who taught me that when you see a problem, you step up and solve it, all those anonymous sources foaming on about how to be a man — is that what they think "being a man" is? I mean, nothing about protecting someone who's struggling in your big gender equation, then? Nothing about, like, knowing right from wrong?

Here's what I can't stop thinking: There were so many tough men in that Dolphins locker room. The unwritten code of football is that you handle your business in-house. Any one of these men could have said something to stop Incognito and help Martin. Any one of them could have handled it. They're warriors, right? They're paragons of strength. And yeah, there are complex reasons why they didn't. But they didn't.
Emphasis mine.

"Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I get to kill something." - Ron Swanson
IlliniJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013   #235
IlliniJen
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142254 IlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respected

IMHO: just another dude bro justifying a broken system/philosophy because he doesn't know better.

"Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I get to kill something." - Ron Swanson
IlliniJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013   #236
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 207979 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
Yea, I think Richie plays north of the border next year.
You think the Bills would take him, huh?
Old 11-07-2013   #237
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 278082 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
Who knew Double Barrel was somebodys "honorary" Bro ?
lol! I don't know about all that. Kevin referred to every dude he liked with it, regardless of race. Although he was impressed with how much funk I had in me for a white boy.
Old 11-07-2013   #238
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 144668 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
lol! I don't know about all that. Kevin referred to every dude he liked with it, regardless of race. Although he was impressed with how much funk I had in me for a white boy.
DB ... back in the day .

Old 11-07-2013   #239
toronto
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 65087 toronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Reminds me of this classic scene from "The Wire"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82Jg-Omwmo4

Follow me @blakegk on twitter...the entertainment never stops...
toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013   #240
TheIronDuke
In BOB I Trust

Rep Power: 80155 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected

In high school I hung out with lots of black guys and was free to use the "n" word as long as it ended with an "a" with all of them. So it's not like this awful word to a lot of people.
TheIronDuke is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read