Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: Who gets the start at QB after the buy?
Keenum 162 88.52%
Schaub 21 11.48%
Voters: 183. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-03-2013   #541
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Who gets the start at QB after the bye?

Keenum threw a comeback to posey on the run. 2nd play of the game.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013   #542
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

The noodle arm forced AJ to really stretch for it .
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013   #543
MEGA SWATT
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15515 MEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
I am going to LMAO when a UDFA outplays the #1 ovrl pick at his position from his draft class on Sunday night football in front of the entire country.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEGA SWATT View Post
Msr

case
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vance87 View Post
Let's just say if that happens I'd have to change my shorts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Let's just say... you better have an extra pair handy.

Old 11-04-2013   #544
EVOLVIST
Kid A

Rep Power: 28959 EVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respected

Where is Leebigeztx, anyway? I'd like to hear his take on Keenum's fvcking fettuccini arm after last night's aerial display from Case's supposed limp member.

We still need a larger sample size on Case, though. Still, Leebigeztx's absence is about as curious as Schaub's was when Schaub wasn't available for post-game quotes.
EVOLVIST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013   #545
ziggy29
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6653 ziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVOLVIST View Post
We still need a larger sample size on Case, though. Still, Leebigeztx's absence is about as curious as Schaub's was when Schaub wasn't available for post-game quotes.
We need a larger sample size to determine if Keenum is the guy to build around in the future (and to let us know whether or not we need to draft a QB really high). We don't need a larger sample size to convince me that the rest of this season should be Keenum's. We've already gotten the best we'll ever get out of Schaub and I think Yates is a decent backup but little more.
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013   #546
IlliniJen
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144347 IlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
We need a larger sample size to determine if Keenum is the guy to build around in the future (and to let us know whether or not we need to draft a QB really high). We don't need a larger sample size to convince me that the rest of this season should be Keenum's. We've already gotten the best we'll ever get out of Schaub and I think Yates is a decent backup but little more.
You know what worries me? Say we get the rest of the season as a sample size and guess what, Keenum looks like a good doggone starting quarterback. How did the organization miss on him for so long? Somebody in that Texans organization is going to have to CONVINCE me that they simply didn't know they had lightening in a bottle. Of course, this is the same organization that can't bear to part with Joe Marciano, so maybe there's a huge-ass blind spot for obvious talent/lack of talent from the GM on down.

"Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I get to kill something." - Ron Swanson
IlliniJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013   #547
stonewhite
Veteran

Rep Power: 945 stonewhite is a quality contributor and well respectedstonewhite is a quality contributor and well respectedstonewhite is a quality contributor and well respectedstonewhite is a quality contributor and well respectedstonewhite is a quality contributor and well respectedstonewhite is a quality contributor and well respectedstonewhite is a quality contributor and well respectedstonewhite is a quality contributor and well respectedstonewhite is a quality contributor and well respectedstonewhite is a quality contributor and well respectedstonewhite is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniJen View Post
You know what worries me? Say we get the rest of the season as a sample size and guess what, Keenum looks like a good doggone starting quarterback. How did the organization miss on him for so long? Somebody in that Texans organization is going to have to CONVINCE me that they simply didn't know they had lightening in a bottle. Of course, this is the same organization that can't bear to part with Joe Marciano, so maybe there's a huge-ass blind spot for obvious talent/lack of talent from the GM on down.
Can't be to mad at them. They are the only team who gave him a chance. So happy for Case. Hope he's here to stay.
stonewhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013   #548
Vance87
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 59514 Vance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Last year in preseason he looked pretty bad. He was safe on the PS all of 2012 because nobody had any reason to suspect that he was going to ever start an NFL game, and we didn't mind because Schaub was (by far) the best QB on the team last year and we were 12-4. Then come this year, Kubiak gleamed about how much he had progressed and we saw how good he looked in preseason. Then you know the rest.
Old 11-04-2013   #549
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 78537 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
i wouldnt say they missed on him at all. keenum wasnt ready last year, and honestly isnt completely ripe yet IMO. the ideal situation would've been a competent schaub this season as case gets more familiar with the offense as well as reading NFL defenses. keenum looks absolutely amazing so far, and i've been calling for the switch once schaub went full retard around game 4. he's not all the way there yet though, especially when it comes to adjustments and reading defenses.
Old 11-04-2013   #550
corytx8
Veteran

Rep Power: 3622 corytx8 is a quality contributor and well respectedcorytx8 is a quality contributor and well respectedcorytx8 is a quality contributor and well respectedcorytx8 is a quality contributor and well respectedcorytx8 is a quality contributor and well respectedcorytx8 is a quality contributor and well respectedcorytx8 is a quality contributor and well respectedcorytx8 is a quality contributor and well respectedcorytx8 is a quality contributor and well respectedcorytx8 is a quality contributor and well respectedcorytx8 is a quality contributor and well respected

I had a gut feeling telling me that case Keenum was going to be the starting next season. The organization was going to roll with Matt this season only to see him fall short at the end of the season again however pick 6 streak and injury bug happened. Otherwise, Gary doesn't jump TJ Yates for the KC game.
corytx8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013   #551
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202592 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Personally, I think Kubiak had an inkling. I think that's why he added the pistol stuff to the playbook.

BUT.

Like the Collinsworth and Michaels were saying during the broadcast, when you see Keenum in practice, he doesn't look like he's "The Guy". He turns it on when the lights come on. And that's a problem with most coaches. Most coaches aren't going to give a gamer like Keenum a chance unless they draft him high and have some pressure to see what they have.

And last year, Keenum was not ready. You could see the strides that he made in the offseason by how much better he played in preseason BUT... he didn't even out-play TJ with similar reps.

But.

With real bullets.

Wow.

Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013   #552
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10214 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

I forgot who it was that said it in the game thread, but they couldn't have put it any better. Schaub takes what the defense gives him, and Keenum takes what he wants.
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013   #553
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 195251 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
We need a larger sample size to determine if Keenum is the guy to build around in the future (and to let us know whether or not we need to draft a QB really high).
Why?

How many games did they need to decide to build around Luck? How many games did they need to decide to build around RG3? How many games did they need to decide to build around Wilson?

Why do you need more for Case? He's answered the questions around him before the draft, same as Luck, same as Wilson.

Yes, things are going to be different once teams get tape on him. Same as it was for Wilson, same as it was for RG3, same as it was for Luck.

Whatever might happen to Keenum in the future is no different than what could happen to Luck, RG3, or Wilson. I don't know what you remember about Carr, but he was billed as the best QB prospect since Rivers. Similar to the way Luck was looked at when he was drafted. But when I watched Carr his first two years, I was sold. It wasn't until year three that I noticed flaws that should have been corrected by then. It wasn't until year 4 that I thought all the questions were answered definitively.

Same way for Luck, Keenum, RG3, Wilson. They look good right now, but they're all given leeway, what they should know, what they shouldn't, mistakes are expected.

My mind's made up. I'm going BPA, unless it's a QB. Then I'm going with the second best available player.
Old 11-04-2013   #554
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 195251 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
My thoughts are they had it right. There were legit reasons why he wasn't drafted. Those are things that he worked on to fix.

Just like people say this guy or that guy needs to stay in college another year. Well, it doesn't help that guy if he's not running an NFL offense, or if he's playing in Conference USA. He's not going to get the experience of playing against NFL talent. He's not going to get the experience of running a pro offense.

Had we started Case last season, who knows what might have happened & where we might be today. It's nice to think we'd be in a better position & as long as we hate Kubiak, that's exactly what we'll think.

But to be objective about it & give Kubiak the credit he deserves... knowing QBs, making QBs better... it's probably more accurate to say he went about it the right way & what we're seeing from Keenum is because of that & not in spite of it.
Old 11-04-2013   #555
legacy_gt
All Pro

Rep Power: 7091 legacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You know what worries me? Say we get the rest of the season as a sample size and guess what, Keenum looks like a good doggone starting quarterback. How did the organization miss on him for so long? .
kubiaks loyalty. keenum was beating out schaub and tj in training camp and preseason. case was always great except his combine performance. his play at UH wasn't a fluke. with time, case also learned to play better with dev from kubiak.
legacy_gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013   #556
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
Are you kidding me? He never even pulled Schaub. Schaub was forced to go out due to injury. His stubborness is what put the team in the hole....
Mark Sanchez got a whole year. That's the way they do it in the NFL. You don't go with the unproven when your starter is showing flashes & Schaub showed more flash than Sanchez had all year. The San Diego game, the Titans game, the Seattle game & even the Rams game, Schaub showed flashes of average play to really good play.

When Keenum struggles, the second half of the Chiefs game, the second half of the Colts game, he's going to be allowed to figure it out, to play his way through it. Even if it gets as bad as Schaub's struggles.

Only difference is that Keenum hasn't built up the collateral that Sanchez or Schaub has & only has 8 more games to secure his spot.

It's not stubborness, it's long term thinking.

& if we're saying the team gave up on him vs the Rams, they've still given up. What we saw yesterday was no different than what we saw against Seattle. Which was basically the same thing we saw against the Rams. If anything, it proves what some have been saying all along. The problem is a team problem, not a QB problem. When Kubiak said he had bigger problems than his QB play (SF at the half I think) this is what he was talking about.

Doesn't matter who our QB is, or how well our QB plays, this team isn't going to win a lot of games if the rest of the team don't play better. We've got better QB play, but we're still losing games this team should win.
Old 11-05-2013   #557
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 174887 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I don't think we're talking about a miss in this case... err, instance.
First, I think it probably took Case two full camps to transition from whatever you call that offense he ran at U of H to adapt to the pro-style offense that the Texans run.
Second, Kubiak saw enough in him to give him a practice squad shot when no one else did. Everyone passed on him in the draft. I mean Everyone. Whether someone else would have picked him up had the Texans not made him an offer, is unknown. But they had all last season to pluck him off the practice squad and no one did that either.
Third, and this is just me, I think Kubiak promoted Case to #2 man, in his own head, during preseason. I think he was a little disappointed that Yates wasn't pressing Schaub for the starter's spot like Case was pressing him (Yates) for the backup job. Why he didn't just go ahead and make that call following preseason, remains a mystery to me.
So for me, it wasn't a miss. It was a matter of making sure the kid was ready for prime time. And that took some time.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013   #558
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Third, and this is just me, I think Kubiak promoted Case to #2 man, in his own head, during preseason. I think he was a little disappointed that Yates wasn't pressing Schaub for the starter's spot like Case was pressing him (Yates) for the backup job. Why he didn't just go ahead and make that call following preseason, remains a mystery to me.
Let's say Kubiak named Case the #2 QB to start the season & everything went according to plan. Late December, we're 12-2, something happens to Schaub. Now our back-up QB becomes our starting QB & Kubiak is going into the play-offs for the third straight year with a virgin QB.

Kubiak was thinking Super Bowl.... I was thinking Super Bowl, & he was putting us in the best position to win it.

Still, I don't know how much of the play-book Case knew in the preseason. That was his first camp even running our plays. He looked fine in the preseason, basically playing streetball. We don't know how well he read the defenses, we don't know if his receivers were where they were supposed to be (most likely they weren't because these weren't our ones he was throwing to) we don't know how the line picked up their assignments, or the backs.

All the preseason does is put him in situations that he & the HC/OC/QB coach can talk about the following week. Find out what he was thinking, what he saw, & why he did what he did.

For all we know, Tj beat him straight up. Maybe scoring a 67 on the plays he was in & Case scoring a 49 on the plays he was in. We don't know. Only the guys in that room the following week knows.
Old 11-07-2013   #559
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...texans-week-9/

Wade Smith had another bad game.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013   #560
Sigma
All Pro

Rep Power: 22499 Sigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Let's say Kubiak named Case the #2 QB to start the season & everything went according to plan. Late December, we're 12-2, something happens to Schaub. Now our back-up QB becomes our starting QB & Kubiak is going into the play-offs for the third straight year with a virgin QB.

Kubiak was thinking Super Bowl.... I was thinking Super Bowl, & he was putting us in the best position to win it.

Still, I don't know how much of the play-book Case knew in the preseason. That was his first camp even running our plays. He looked fine in the preseason, basically playing streetball. We don't know how well he read the defenses, we don't know if his receivers were where they were supposed to be (most likely they weren't because these weren't our ones he was throwing to) we don't know how the line picked up their assignments, or the backs.

All the preseason does is put him in situations that he & the HC/OC/QB coach can talk about the following week. Find out what he was thinking, what he saw, & why he did what he did.

For all we know, Tj beat him straight up. Maybe scoring a 67 on the plays he was in & Case scoring a 49 on the plays he was in. We don't know. Only the guys in that room the following week knows.
also, kubiak is so conservative that keenum should have pressed Schaub in order to be promoted #2.

I think it was a combination of what you say and a little of "let's not rule out TJ yet"

because putting him (Yates) #3 would have meant that

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read