Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-06-2013   #41
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 52069 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Dre's Recent TD Success - Opinions Wanted

In answer to some of the questions, maybe I'm just thinking more of the problems this year. AJ did do the double-moves in the past, but Schaub also had better protection in the past.

My comment about the TEs was pointing out that Schaub likes to hit the TEs, not that he doesn't like to--the idea being that he targets Daniels more than AJ, especially in the red-zone.

Along the same lines, I was saying that Schaub might have preferred quick, small WRs, not that we have actually used them.

My main point to it all was that Schaub (this year, anyway, because I was apparently forgetting a lot of the past) needed guys to get open quick because he can't create extra time with his feet. This has been exacerbated by poor O-Line protection: Brown has been slow, Smith is really not what he used to be, & the right side of the line is just....in rebuilding mode...

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013   #42
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

I just heard part of yesterday's interview again, and Dre said that they have a signal for that fake spike fade. He said he gave the signal to case and it's up to the qb whether they want to throw it or not. He said case have him a nod back and gave him a chance to catch the ball.

Part of Schaub's limitations is why Ive been hesitant to just say get rid of kubiak. I think he's an excellent offensive mind. He's not without fault, but I like that this offense was able to put up great numbers with Schaub at qb because Schaub is a pretty limited player and always has been.

For me, whether keenum is the guy moving forward is not relevant. I think he's done enough in two games to show what this offense could look like with a "different" kind of qb.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013   #43
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57325 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I just heard part of yesterday's interview again, and Dre said that they have a signal for that fake spike fade. He said he gave the signal to case and it's up to the qb whether they want to throw it or not. He said case have him a nod back and gave him a chance to catch the ball.

Part of Schaub's limitations is why Ive been hesitant to just say get rid of kubiak. I think he's an excellent offensive mind. He's not without fault, but I like that this offense was able to put up great numbers with Schaub at qb because Schaub is a pretty limited player and always has been.

For me, whether keenum is the guy moving forward is not relevant. I think he's done enough in two games to show what this offense could look like with a "different" kind of qb.
I don't it matters what kind of offense they put in there.
Now that we've seen Keenum operating successfully from under center for a majority part of the game, we can say with confident that he's not a system QB.

Offenses can run the PA from under center or in shotgun, or in pistol, etc.

At any rate, here's a look at some more of Keenum's throws.
He does make the job of the O-linemen easier with his mobility, his quick decision making and release.

http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles...things-to-come
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013   #44
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 172585 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
IMO the rumors of AJ's demise and the pitter patter of lost steps are greatly exaggerated.
Preaching to the choir. I posted this in another AJ topic:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
...here's AJ's rankings amongst WRs by PFF the last 5 years:

2008: 2nd/111
2009: 4th/107
2010: 3rd/111
2011: 30th/115 (only played ~1/3 of usual snaps)
2012: 1st/105

He's rated 3rd/107 in 2013 YTD*.
But I'm always hearing arguments against Xxxxx Xxxxx player for the Hall of Fame because he didn't have Xxx traditional stat, and his career receiving TDs are unusually low comparatively. I expect that someone -- guessing somebody like Cris Carter -- will argue against AJ for the HOF because of his TDs ranking (76th).

*Now rated 1st/110 WRs.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013   #45
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 99799 Dread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respected

AJ is a future hall of famer. Think about it, the man made DAVID CARR look good. Schaub would hit a tight end before throwing one to AJ.
"Why attack a man for his race or religion when there are so many other PERFECTLY good reasons?" :Dreademiah 2:16 Dread-Head. Texan from DAY ONE & PROUD Honorary Blue Crew member..."Damn it Bill!"
Dread-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013   #46
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 114256 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexmanC View Post
Was there anything untruthful about what AJ said? I have no problem with the truth, no matter the form it comes in.
Case has more confidence in his players . Why ... that's what they did at UH . He's not afraid to let his WRs play , which is good when you have an alltime great . The other two liked to throw to a guy , in a spot , not moving . Case's 2nd touchdown , he threw it before AJ was open , to a spot where AJ could go get it . He put a lot of air under that ball which Carr couldn't do IMO , cause of hiis bad mechanics , and Schaub doesn't have the arm.
Old 11-06-2013   #47
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 114256 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread-Head View Post
AJ is a future hall of famer. Think about it, the man made DAVID CARR look good. Schaub would hit a tight end before throwing one to AJ.
AJ was Carr's hair stylist ?
Old 11-06-2013   #48
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57325 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
Case has more confidence in his players . Why ... that's what they did at UH . He's not afraid to let his WRs play , which is good when you have an alltime great . The other two liked to throw to a guy , in a spot , not moving . Case's 2nd touchdown , he threw it before AJ was open , to a spot where AJ could go get it . He put a lot of air under that ball which Carr couldn't do IMO , cause he of hiis mechanics , and Schaub doesn't have the arm.
I shudder to think what the outcome of the game would have been like with Schaub in there last week?

Just Imagine the Reliant crowd.
I'm sure there would have been more jersey burning.
What a scary thought
Old 11-06-2013   #49
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 15293 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
I think Keenum made it clear the other night that AJ hasn't been the problem. The team never threw to AJ in the end zone, but AJ proved the other night that he is just as effective there as anywhere else on the field, even 11 years into his career. The team did throw bombs to him on double moves, but Schaub didn't have the arm to get it to him in stride. We've all said it for years. All you had to do was watch AJ slow up and catch a 40 yard pass and then get tackled. Whenever I brought it up, there was always someone there to dismiss the idea that Schaub arm strength was an issue. Well, Keenum hit AJ in stride on the same routes and you didn't see AJ slowing up for the ball and the defenders never caught him.

So yeah, AJ's career has been largely wasted to this point.
I feel bad for him. Took him so long to get a legit starting NFL QB and not a backup in a starter's role.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013   #50
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
I shudder to think what the outcome of the game would have been like with Schaub in there last week?

Just Imagine the Reliant crowd.
I'm sure there would have been more jersey burning.
What a scary thought
IMO ... part of Kubiak's issues came from the crowd chanting KEENUM KEENUM KEENUM after each big play . Why ... Kubiak is a good guy and I think he stressed for Schaub because he knew that meant Schaub was toast and embarrassed . I think he also realized that he had screwed up staying with Schaub and TJ so long.
Old 11-06-2013   #51
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I don't it matters what kind of offense they put in there.
Now that we've seen Keenum operating successfully from under center for a majority part of the game, we can say with confident that he's not a system QB.

Offenses can run the PA from under center or in shotgun, or in pistol, etc.

At any rate, here's a look at some more of Keenum's throws.
He does make the job of the O-linemen easier with his mobility, his quick decision making and release.

http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles...things-to-come
My comments didn't have anything to do with Keenum really. My point was that I think kubiak is really good at offense.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013   #52
cbs1507
Veteran

Rep Power: 3398 cbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Preaching to the choir. I posted this in another AJ topic:

But I'm always hearing arguments against Xxxxx Xxxxx player for the Hall of Fame because he didn't have Xxx traditional stat, and his career receiving TDs are unusually low comparatively. I expect that someone -- guessing somebody like Cris Carter -- will argue against AJ for the HOF because of his TDs ranking (76th).

*Now rated 1st/110 WRs.
I don't think there's any arguing that Dre's a future HOFer. He is already at 20th all time in receiving yards. He could easily move into top 10 all time by the end of next season, the way Keenum's been slinging the ball. Just look at the list from 12th-19th all those players are retired and Reggie Wayne (11th) just tore his ACL. If he can finish this season with another 1500 yard performance and put together 3 more 1,000 yard seasons he could move into the top 3 easily in all time receiving yards by the time he's done. So if Dre can stay healthy and play at the level he has in the past couple of season for a few more years it'll be hard to argue against him, even with the low TD numbers (and Keenum may be able to make those TD's go up considerably).

http://www.pro-football-reference.co...yds_career.htm

Last edited by cbs1507; 11-06-2013 at 10:45 AM.
cbs1507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013   #53
GNTLEWOLF
All Pro

Rep Power: 1614 GNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Skype™ to GNTLEWOLF

In another thread I questioned whether AJ was still an All-pro level receiver. My appologies Dre...THANK GOD!
GNTLEWOLF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013   #54
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNTLEWOLF View Post
In another thread I questioned whether AJ was still an All-pro level receiver. My appologies Dre...THANK GOD!
Shame on you, LOL!
Old 11-06-2013   #55
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
My comments didn't have anything to do with Keenum really. My point was that I think kubiak is really good at offense.
Oh I know; I agree that Kubiak's offense is just fine.
He just needed a QB that can run it efficiently.
If they can beef up that line a little bit, Keenum can go crazy on the opponents.
Old 11-06-2013   #56
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbs1507 View Post
I don't think there's any arguing that Dre's a future HOFer. He is already at 20th all time in receiving yards. He could easily move into top 10 all time by the end of next season, the way Keenum's been slinging the ball. Just look at the list from 12th-19th all those players are retired and Reggie Wayne (11th) just tore his ACL. If he can finish this season with another 1500 yard performance and put together 3 more 1,000 yard seasons he could move into the top 3 easily in all time receiving yards. So if Dre can stay healthy and play at the level he has in the past couple of season for a few more years it'll be hard to argue against him, even with the low TD numbers (and Keenum may be able to make those TD's go up considerably).

http://www.pro-football-reference.co...yds_career.htm
AJ only needs 9 more to catch up with HOF Art Monk.
Give him another year, and it is quite feasible.
Old 11-06-2013   #57
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
IMO ... part of Kubiak's issues came from the crowd chanting KEENUM KEENUM KEENUM after each big play . Why ... Kubiak is a good guy and I think he stressed for Schaub because he knew that meant Schaub was toast and embarrassed . I think he also realized that he had screwed up staying with Schaub and TJ so long.
When was the last time the crowd chanted Schaub's name, if ever?
Does anybody know?
Old 11-06-2013   #58
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 222056 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to infantrycak

Quote:
When was the last time the crowd chanted Schaub's name, if ever?
Does anybody know?
As a general matter crowds don't chant for starters. They chant for starters to be replaced.
Old 11-06-2013   #59
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Quote:
As a general matter crowds don't chant for starters. They chant for starters to be replaced.
I heard plenty of people going " PLEASE RANDY PLEASE " make this kick .
Old 11-06-2013   #60
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
But Keenum was the starter last game.

So, nobody ever heard Schaub's name being chanted ever?

Do we have the people's choice at QB finally?
That would be awesome if Keenum can keep up his good plays so that the whole fan base (or the vast majority) can rally behind the team more cohesively.
It's good for the morale of the team, no matter who's the HC.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read