Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Closed Thread

Old 11-05-2013   #41
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 116095 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Arian Foster

I'm pretty sure I read an article a couple of years ago where an average NFL career is something like 3 1/2 years with RBs being even on the shorter end of that.
Old 11-05-2013   #42
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 94459 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
If you remember, he previously received epidural injections for his back problems. I said at that time that these injections may typically relieve symptoms for up to two months. He received those injections on Sept 18 and today is Nov 5. He compensated his still freshly ailing hamstring with additional stress on his back as the injection effects were wearing off........the perfect storm.

I'm not going to say that his career is near end, but his injury history and types are nearing critical level...........multiple recurrent serious tears to the same hamstring, and an apparent recurrent disc type of problems (ala Cody).
Unless something changes significantly, his career path will not going in the right direction.
To make it interesting, would you resign Tate or Foster, considering the injury history with both?
Old 11-05-2013   #43
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 124145 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

I think he hurt his back lifting that fat new wallet. I for one question his toughness and desire to play. He's not a stupid man. With the touches he's had, he knows they'll catch up and start affecting his quality of life - not that I blame him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
Old 11-05-2013   #44
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 203861 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
To make it interesting, would you resign Tate or Foster, considering the injury history with both?
I know this would not be the most popular, but, as it stands now, due to the type of histories of each, I would tend favor towards Tate.
Old 11-05-2013   #45
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 63514 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Unless something changes significantly, his career path will not going in the right direction.
What kind of therapy or change to his routine would promote longevity?
Old 11-05-2013   #46
Naija Texan
Rookie

Rep Power: 945 Naija Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedNaija Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedNaija Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedNaija Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedNaija Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedNaija Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedNaija Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedNaija Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedNaija Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedNaija Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedNaija Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
I haven't heard much chatter about Foster the past couple days, but I have to say my opinion of him has fallen. The past two games he has taken himself out of the game after just four carries and one carry, respectively. I'm sure his hamstring, back, and calf are all really sore, but if they're that bad, he should never have taken an active roster spot. Meanwhile, Tate is out there gutting it up with broken ribs.

People used to ding Mario by saying he didn't try enough. But he went out there and played in the trenches every down against the largest guys on the field with all sorts of injuries. Hell, he played an entire season with plantar fasciitis, which I know personally leaves you crippled. He may not have played particularly well with those maladies, but he went out there.

And what was the general consensus when Colt McCoy pulled himself out of the national championship game? It wasn't that he was a tough gamer, I can tell you that.
The team ran the ball almost a record number of times last season, behind a suspect offensive line, not counting the pass plays he made with his feet toward the end of that season. Foster took hits, he came into the season banged up, worked himself back into Foster like production even as the rest of the team was floundering and then fell victim to a occurrence of injuries.

In a lost season, it would be stupid to risk your franchise RB, especially if he (who rarely has had injury issues before) is the one informing you about them. Can't believe how quick people are to turn on one of the teams best players, I guess running backs really are only valued these days by fantasy owners because it is obvious with the franchise having one of the better ones (who before injury had been in the top 3 for yards this season after a bad start) way too many in this fanbase don't appreciate him with all the talk about Tate being better when he's had worst issues and has missed more games due to injuries.
Old 11-05-2013   #47
darnbni99a
Veteran

Rep Power: 1442 darnbni99a is a quality contributor and well respecteddarnbni99a is a quality contributor and well respecteddarnbni99a is a quality contributor and well respecteddarnbni99a is a quality contributor and well respecteddarnbni99a is a quality contributor and well respecteddarnbni99a is a quality contributor and well respecteddarnbni99a is a quality contributor and well respecteddarnbni99a is a quality contributor and well respecteddarnbni99a is a quality contributor and well respecteddarnbni99a is a quality contributor and well respecteddarnbni99a is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
I don't know.. leg muscles and the back are pretty important to a RBs ability to play. Ill give him the benefit of the doubt right now.
this...........
Old 11-05-2013   #48
ThaJokaa
True Texans Fan

Rep Power: 9013 ThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respected

If I remember correctly, I'm not sure whether it was on this forums or another forum that I was on, but It had to do with Foster working out with his brother in the off season. It had to do with Foster's brothers training methods being extremely harsh on the body and unsafe .Apparently while they trained on Rice Univ. grounds all the trainers there would critique his methods for those reasons and would always tell him so, but I guess he's trainer is his trainer and they just went on. What are the possibilities that all of Foster's injuries are results from the off season training with his brother?
Old 11-05-2013   #49
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 63514 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaJokaa View Post
If I remember correctly, I'm not sure whether it was on this forums or another forum that I was on, but It had to do with Foster working out with his brother in the off season. It had to do with Foster's brothers training methods being extremely harsh on the body and unsafe .Apparently while they trained on Rice Univ. grounds all the trainers there would critique his methods for those reasons and would always tell him so, but I guess he's trainer is his trainer and they just went on. What are the possibilities that all of Foster's injuries are results from the off season training with his brother?
I don't know anything about the actual techniques, but I know these two facts: The training is intense, and Foster strained his calf on his first snap of OTA's.
Old 11-05-2013   #50
Bulls on Parade
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18764 Bulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respected

Do you guys think the Texans will draft a running back in the 2014 NFL Draft, and in what round, considering Foster's constant injuries and Tate may leave in free agency?
Old 11-05-2013   #51
4x4tx
Veteran

Rep Power: 448 4x4tx is a quality contributor and well respected4x4tx is a quality contributor and well respected4x4tx is a quality contributor and well respected4x4tx is a quality contributor and well respected4x4tx is a quality contributor and well respected4x4tx is a quality contributor and well respected4x4tx is a quality contributor and well respected4x4tx is a quality contributor and well respected4x4tx is a quality contributor and well respected4x4tx is a quality contributor and well respected4x4tx is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd cut him. He hasn't been the same since he got his fat contract and stopped eating meat. Most important game of the season vs the colts and he pulls himself out after 1 play? No heart and doesn't like to practice. Watch when he runs closely, I've never seen a rb slip and fall as much as he does....bye foster',Martin,Joseph, Newton, bullock, manning and both reeds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
Old 11-05-2013   #52
ThaJokaa
True Texans Fan

Rep Power: 9013 ThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4tx View Post
I'd cut him. He hasn't been the same since he got his fat contract and stopped eating meat. Most important game of the season vs the colts and he pulls himself out after 1 play? No heart and doesn't like to practice. Watch when he runs closely, I've never seen a rb slip and fall as much as he does....bye foster',Martin,Joseph, Newton, bullock, manning and both reeds.

Not the meat thing again...
He's been non vegan for a while now
Old 11-05-2013   #53
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 214275 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

The vegan thing isn't really true any more. He started re-integrating meat into his diet last year.

And as far as pulling himself out, that might have been a team strategy going into the game. That is, Foster's marching orders might well have been: get out there and see if you can go full speed; and find out if it tightens up on you. If so, you're not healed and you're done for this game because we're not taking a chance on losing you for the future.

I wouldn't put it past Kubiak to let Foster give it a shot - when he (Kubiak) probably knew it was too soon for Foster to have recovered.
Old 11-06-2013   #54
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
The vegan thing isn't really true any more. He started re-integrating meat into his diet last year.

And as far as pulling himself out, that might have been a team strategy going into the game. That is, Foster's marching orders might well have been: get out there and see if you can go full speed; and find out if it tightens up on you. If so, you're not healed and you're done for this game because we're not taking a chance on losing you for the future.

I wouldn't put it past Kubiak to let Foster give it a shot - when he (Kubiak) probably knew it was too soon for Foster to have recovered.
Also, Foster has plenty of incentive to play.
His contract includes a 500K game bonus.
He lost a little over $30K each game he doesn't play.
Who would want to leave that much money on the table for just a few hours of work?
Old 11-06-2013   #55
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 243703 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Also, Foster has plenty of incentive to play.
His contract includes a 500K game bonus.
He lost a little over $30K each game he doesn't play.
Who would want to leave that much money on the table for just a few hours of work?
Does he get the bonus if he plays one play and then heads to the locker room to don sweats?
Old 11-06-2013   #56
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Quote:

So he overtrains and injures himself because he has no heart?
Old 11-06-2013   #57
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
Does he get the bonus if he plays one play and then heads to the locker room to don sweats?
LOL.

Good question!

I think they probably put in a number of snap counts, maybe?

It would be crazy if they leave such a loophole open after Foster had gone from the game early a few times already.
Old 11-06-2013   #58
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78862 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I know this would not be the most popular, but, as it stands now, due to the type of histories of each, I would tend favor towards Tate.
I wouldn't give any running back a big money contract. Their best years are behind them by the time you make the decision to give them one. Better to let another team give it to them, and let them be stuck with all that dead money two years down the road when they are cut.

As a matter of fact, in today's NFL, as violent and injurious as it is, I don't think any player, no matter the position, is worth going an extended big money contract to. Take Matt Schaub and Brian Cushing as perfect examples. Both of them are going to turn out be nothing but dead money in the end. Jonathan Joseph is another prime example.

This is why I'm totally against signing big-money free agents. They are past their prime by the time they go on the market.
Old 11-06-2013   #59
4x4tx
Veteran

Rep Power: 448 4x4tx is a quality contributor and well respected4x4tx is a quality contributor and well respected4x4tx is a quality contributor and well respected4x4tx is a quality contributor and well respected4x4tx is a quality contributor and well respected4x4tx is a quality contributor and well respected4x4tx is a quality contributor and well respected4x4tx is a quality contributor and well respected4x4tx is a quality contributor and well respected4x4tx is a quality contributor and well respected4x4tx is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisco_County View Post
So he overtrains and injures himself because he has no heart?
lol overtrains? dude skipped out on all of camp. The guy doesn't like to practice or doesn't think he needs to practice. I was kidding about the vegan thing but just shows what a free spirit kind of guy he is to do that...its one thing if you are a 90lb woman to be a vegan and another to be one of the highest paid RBs in the game in a sport where you can take absolute beatings...but in his case, he slips and falls so much he rarely takes a hard shot...dude is the master of slipping for an extra yard but losing the ability to ever break one.

Great question about his game bonus...maybe why he "trys" for a few plays and then heads to the lockeroom....cha ching!
Old 11-06-2013   #60
Uncle Rico
Pro BS'er

Section: Nose Bleeds
Rep Power: 17795 Uncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respected

Try and trade Foster on draft day. Let Tate walk. ZBS can utilize damn near anyone with a pulse as a + runner.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read