Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 11-04-2013   #141
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56086 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Where to spend the 2014 1st round pick?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
I'd take him and throw that ZBS in the trash can . Well maybe every once in awhile run it as a change of pace .

Other guys I'd want are ,

1. Anthony Barr
2. Louis Nix
3. Matthews
4. lewan
5. Evans
One thing about the ZBS is when Alex Gibbs is running it, 8 out 12 years Alex had the #1 or #2 rushing team in the NFL. It usually took Gibbs 2 years to fully implement his ZBS. Of course Gibb's ZBS slowly declines after he leaves. Other coaches must not have that attention to detail or think their version of ZBS is better which it usually isn't.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013   #142
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 171483 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
One thing about the ZBS is when Alex Gibbs is running it, 8 out 12 years Alex had the #1 or #2 rushing team in the NFL. It usually took Gibbs 2 years to fully implement his ZBS. Of course Gibb's ZBS slowly declines after he leaves. Other coaches must not have that attention to detail or think their version of ZBS is better which it usually isn't.
I like a big physical OL , at least the two guards and RT .

They don't have Tom Nalen , Terrell Davis , and Gary Zimmerman either . I also think they changed the rules some on cutting .
Old 11-04-2013   #143
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56086 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
I like a big physical OL , at least the two guards and RT .

They don't have Tom Nalen , Terrell Davis , and Gary Zimmerman either . I also think they changed the rules some on cutting .
Gibbs did it in Atlanta and Houston also. Gibbs supplemented big OL with big Blocking TE and FB.
Old 11-04-2013   #144
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 171483 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Gibbs did it in Atlanta and Houston also. Gibbs supplemented big OL with big Blocking TE and FB.
In Atlanta he had some nobodies . He looks for guys who will do what it takes to be good . That said , the Atlanta guys didn't like him because he was so demanding .
Old 11-05-2013   #145
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Cyril Richardson is consenus #1 OG in 2014 draft
He is dam good too. Put him at left guard and we are set for the next ten years. Unfortunately He might go in the first round.
Old 11-05-2013   #146
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27154 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Is there a position on the field that we don't need? WR is the only position I can think of that isn't a need. Now they're not all 1st or 2nd round needs but their are so many needs we can go with a BPA approach to the draft and fill a lot of those needs. I also think that we all need to remember that rebuilding this organization back to consistent playoff team will take more than just 1 draft. Its hard to believe that in 8 yrs. Smithiak was unable to build some quality depth.

We're looking like we might be drafting in the top 5 now. I'm going to be looking hard at Mariota.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013   #147
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 145918 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
Is there a position on the field that we don't need? WR is the only position I can think of that isn't a need. Now they're not all 1st or 2nd round needs but their are so many needs we can go with a BPA approach to the draft and fill a lot of those needs. I also think that we all need to remember that rebuilding this organization back to consistent playoff team will take more than just 1 draft. Its hard to believe that in 8 yrs. Smithiak was unable to build some quality depth.

We're looking like we might be drafting in the top 5 now. I'm going to be looking hard at Mariota.
I have started working a bit different than some who mock by filling in back up or lesser needs first. For example, I see Ed Reed being replaced by Swearinger and Manning if healthy will be in last contract year 2014 so we draft Marqueston Huff Wyoming who was a 3 year corner who moved to safety this year. To answer your question, we have needs almost everywhere but some can be resolved without panic by using lower rounds and focusing on priority needs in top 4 rounds. Issue of course is posters rarely agree what is priority plus if I decide to take care of RT by selecting Tennessee's JuWuan James who is right under the first rounders, he better be there. Still that is the fun.
Old 11-05-2013   #148
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81973 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
I have started working a bit different than some who mock by filling in back up or lesser needs first. For example, I see Ed Reed being replaced by Swearinger and Manning if healthy will be in last contract year 2014 so we draft Marqueston Huff Wyoming who was a 3 year corner who moved to safety this year. To answer your question, we have needs almost everywhere but some can be resolved without panic by using lower rounds and focusing on priority needs in top 4 rounds. Issue of course is posters rarely agree what is priority plus if I decide to take care of RT by selecting Tennessee's JuWuan James who is right under the first rounders, he better be there. Still that is the fun.
If James is there in the late 3rd would you trade a 4/6th rd pick to move up and pick him?

The Texans should get atleast 1 comp pick in the 5th rd if Dutch is correct.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013   #149
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
He is dam good too. Put him at left guard and we are set for the next ten years. Unfortunately He might go in the first round.
I like what I see so far from him (3 gamed in 2012 from Drsftbreakdown.)
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013   #150
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67005 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post

We need just about everything. We need WRs too. Martin and Jean aren't players that you want to count on. If Andre or Hopkins were to go down, we are right back in a bad situation at WR. We should be looking to add more WRs to our group. There is hardly any depth. We also don't have a slot receiver. However, we have more pressing needs that will probably not allow us to take a WR, assuming we draft on need.

I haven't done my own mock, just because it's a bit early for me. That's not to say that these mocks on the site now are worthless, it's just too early for ME to do one.

If I had to do a positional mock draft, I would take a RT in the first, OLB/ILB/NT in the next 4 rounds, RB/CB/WR in the last three rounds. If we don't resign Antonio, we will need to draft a DE.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013   #151
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81973 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
We need just about everything. We need WRs too. Martin and Jean aren't players that you want to count on. If Andre or Hopkins were to go down, we are right back in a bad situation at WR. We should be looking to add more WRs to our group. There is hardly any depth. We also don't have a slot receiver. However, we have more pressing needs that will probably not allow us to take a WR, assuming we draft on need.

I haven't done my own mock, just because it's a bit early for me. That's not to say that these mocks on the site now are worthless, it's just too early for ME to do one.

If I had to do a positional mock draft, I would take a RT in the first, OLB/ILB/NT in the next 4 rounds, RB/CB/WR in the last three rounds. If we don't resign Antonio, we will need to draft a DE.
What your saying is there's too many holes to fill in one draft?

So they if Rick can fix the OL/DL/LB's in this draft I will be happy and the team will be much better. When is the last time Rick added 3 impact players in 1 draft should be the question.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013   #152
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post

I've been entertaining thoughts about Watkins.
That guy is more dynamic than Tavon Austin.

10-3/4 hand.
He can be a force in the return game as well.

You give Keenum this guy underneath and AJ and Hopkins over the top. Your offense will be crazy.

The only thing that is crazier is that Watkins can outrun AJ and Hopkins, and Posey too.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013   #153
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post

10-3/4 hand.

You give Keenum this guy underneath and AJ and Hopkins over the top. Your offense will be crazy.

The only thing that is crazier is that Watkins can outrun AJ and Hopkins, and Posey too.
I've been flirting with this idea in my head since last week. If Case is for real, why not turn this offense into a passing juggernaut. Kinda a gift to AJ for making him suffer all these years. With a mobile QB and those three guys running around we would be tough to stop and fun as hell to watch. The only thing is the drug charges scare me a little. If that doesn't clear inspection replace him with Evans. Use the rest of the draft on defense.
Old 11-05-2013   #154
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 85909 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

10-3/4 hand.

Not a bad idea to grab Watkins. I actually sort of agree.

Disagree about playing him underneath though. He can blow the top off the defense. I would play Dre in the slot and Watkins outside. Dre runs fantastic routes and could be a Boldin-like beast in the slot. He's also lost a step so getting him in matchups against LB's and Safeties isn't a bad idea. Hopkins could take over his role outside and then you have Watkins to pressure the deep part of the field. Would make for a very dynamic trio. He would definitely upgrade the return game as well I agree.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013   #155
mussop
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post

So they if Rick can fix the OL/DL/LB's in this draft I will be happy and the team will be much better. When is the last time Rick added 3 impact players in 1 draft should be the question.
What about safety and nickle back? Although I think bouy will lock that down next year. Also don't forget about depth on DL.
Old 11-05-2013   #156
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 181073 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Sounds eerily familiar doesn't it ?!

Cameron Erving

Christian Jones

Danny Shelton

Fixing NT may go a long way towards fixing the LBers.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013   #157
Texian
Hall of Fame

Quote:

10-3/4 hand.

Don't be going Matt Millen on me. If not Johnny Football think TE. OD is not what he used to be and Graham is a FA.

Oh and what has Tavon Austin done for you lately?
Old 11-05-2013   #158
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Quote:

A great QB and a great pass rusher cover the most blemishes .

Last edited by Honoring Earl 34; 11-05-2013 at 07:06 PM.
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013   #159
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 103631 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

i truly think we only need 1 position on offense, that one position is currently an anchor holding the offense back. jake matthews in the first and offense is done. make that the priority, no more guessing and hoping to hit later on, get that final piece. quess replaces wade smith, jones backs up the interior, and williams become swing tackle. we can fill the backup RB roles regardless of tate's returning without using a draft pick. we're 3 deep at wide receiver. and finally, case is our quarterback, though i would look at signing a cheap(ish) veteran to backup.

defense is the problem. yall know i want linebackers, a whole lot of linebackers. if we can hit on 2 linebackers, especially someone to play inside with cushing, we can turn the defense around. the line MAY be a concern. we dont know what's going to happen with ninja, but he's probably out of our price range. we would certainly benefit from a mountain in the middle. and finally, as always, we're still looking for that centerfielder.
Old 11-06-2013   #160
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67005 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

I like the idea of adding Watkins, but it may be a luxury that we cannot afford. We need to do something about right tackle desperately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
Sounds eerily familiar doesn't it ?!

Cameron Erving

Christian Jones

Danny Shelton

Fixing NT may go a long way towards fixing the LBers.

Christian Jones is interesting. They have him playing OLB/DE right now, but he was an ILB in previous years. He was damn good at ILB, he routinely stuck with guys in coverage. Versatile guy that will fly up draft boards, in my opinion.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read