Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read


Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2013   #381
beerlover
Site Contributor
 
beerlover's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 12,552
Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Rick Smith's poor job of managing the cap has closed our window for the time bein

I understand fans frustration falling so short of their expectations but this also applies to management, Rick Smith & ownership as well. We're all crushed & disappointed with our best team to date (on paper) as Texans, implode like Bluto's zit on animal house http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZN4r8p6KbU

Rick Smith will have to make some cuts from the cafeteria menu, cut the fat & add more healthy, smart options he has a lot on his plate. It seems he has strayed from Texan worthy players/prospects & so quality depth has not lived up to high standards fans, coaches & players expect. Everybody deals with injury's & bad breaks but I would also throw the medical staff under the bus for mis-evaluation of significance of off season pickups & rookie development.

Will Rick be able to make the super tough decision along with his owner Bob McNair, for Kubiak health & welfare of team moving forward make him the best paid offensive coordinator in the NFL & bring in a new coach?

Stay tuned
__________________

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013   #382
Texian
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 3,857
Rep Power: 66253 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Rick Smith's poor job of managing the cap has closed our window for the time bein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate View Post
So, you are saying that when they drafted Bullock they knew he had a bum leg? HES A KICKER, and when you draft a kicker you expect him to be very good for a very long time. Rackers and Graham are both out of the league now, and Bullock could have easily been seen as an upgrade moving forward all things considered. It simply did not work out that way, it happens. Sometimes peoples brains make things more complicated than they really are.
Rackers was a Top 5 PK in 2011 so this pretty much makes your argument of an upgrade null and void. Even if the Texans wanted to sign Rackers or Graham prior to the 2012 draft they didn't have the available salary cap to do so. They simply did not have the money. Therefore it doesn't take a genius to understand that they drafted a player they could afford. It doesn't take a genius to understand that the salary cap dictated the decision to draft Bullock. It wouldn't be the first time that the Texans drafted a player that had a conditioning or medical issue. When the Texans realized they needed another option to Bullock in 2012, the first thing they had to do was release Jacoby Jones so they could afford to sign Graham. It's not that complicated. It's basic deductive reasoning and general logic vs making more excuses for the Texans. If you have studied the Texans player personnel transactions over the years you would know this is a pattern of behavior. The salary cap controls the Texans, the Texans do not control the salary cap. It's the old adage, you want to know the answer? you want to know why? follow the money
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013   #383
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame
 
steelbtexan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Age: 52
Posts: 12,553
Rep Power: 109572 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Rick Smith's poor job of managing the cap has closed our window for the time bein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate View Post
Not to mention Alex Gibbs effect was still around in 2011. Not so much anymore. People seem to forget just how stout our running game became with the master around to architect it for a couple of years. The longer removed we are, the worse our O-line seems to get.
Yep,

Gibbs knew how to find and mold later rd talent. (Myers 6th rd trade, Briesel UDFA, Winston 3rd rd) This is what the Texans have been missing since Gibbs left. Cheap OL talent performing as the best unit in the NFL.

In short, unlike other areas of the Texans, Alex Gibbs held his OL accountable and they performed at a high level despite not being the most talented group on the Texans. It's what great coaches do. Something the Texans are currently severely lacking.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013   #384
infantrycak
Lead Moderator
 
infantrycak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Age: 47
Posts: 49,188
Rep Power: 413120 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Rick Smith's poor job of managing the cap has closed our window for the time bein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
This much I do know, the Texans started that year by cutting Winston, Vickers and Lienart and trading Ryans in order to get under the salary cap. The Texans didn't have a PK because Rackers was a FA. The Texans drafted Bullock and he showed up at OTAs with a bum leg. In order to bring in an experienced kicker as backup the Texans first had to release Jacoby Jones in order to sign Graham.

Some people have a brain and they use it. Others choose to ignore the obvious. Which one are you? Just because you don't understand the why and what for doesn't mean that other people do understand what is going on.
You are fabricating your own plot.

Winston - many people were complaining about his play for a couple seasons, said he was overpaid and wanted him cut. Was money a consideration? - sure as it should be for every player evaluating cost v. performance. They were proven correct by his getting cut again after 1 season at his new team.

Vickers - JAG whose roster spot was filled by someone making a similar salary. They don't just cut and leave the spot open. At his position there was a great deal of excitement in what Casey might provide.

Lienart - in many ways less than a JAG. Are you claiming this somehow hurt the team? TJ now had real game experience. Leinart was unnecessary.

DeMeco - again, wasn't performing to his contract. There are plenty of threads around here on how he had not come back well from injury and did not fit our 3-4 well.

Graham - signed May 7th for another leg in camp which is done every year. That's a week after the draft and had nothing to do with Bullock having a bum leg. Bullock tore his groin months later in the preseason.

Jacoby Jones - underachieving WR who people had been screaming to cut for a few years (in addition to the playoff gaff). Right now there is a thread wanting to cut Martin in his 2nd year and it has nothing to do with the cap. The Texans had just drafted 2 WRs to upgrade the position. When JJ was released the Texans did not need cap room for Graham.

You are trying to sell these as "forced to by the cap" moves. That ignores all the perfectly legitimate reasons to make them. The only one which arguably hurt them on the football field was Winston. The rest are ordinary churn, part of every team's analysis of what deadwood to get rid of and where upgrades can be made.
__________________
The Art of War
infantrycak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013   #385
Texian
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 3,857
Rep Power: 66253 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Rick Smith's poor job of managing the cap has closed our window for the time bein

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
You are fabricating your own plot.

Winston - many people were complaining about his play for a couple seasons, said he was overpaid and wanted him cut. Was money a consideration? - sure as it should be for every player evaluating cost v. performance. They were proven correct by his getting cut again after 1 season at his new team.

Vickers - JAG whose roster spot was filled by someone making a similar salary. They don't just cut and leave the spot open. At his position there was a great deal of excitement in what Casey might provide.

Lienart - in many ways less than a JAG. Are you claiming this somehow hurt the team? TJ now had real game experience. Leinart was unnecessary.

DeMeco - again, wasn't performing to his contract. There are plenty of threads around here on how he had not come back well from injury and did not fit our 3-4 well.

Graham - signed May 7th for another leg in camp which is done every year. That's a week after the draft and had nothing to do with Bullock having a bum leg. Bullock tore his groin months later in the preseason.

Jacoby Jones - underachieving WR who people had been screaming to cut for a few years (in addition to the playoff gaff). Right now there is a thread wanting to cut Martin in his 2nd year and it has nothing to do with the cap. The Texans had just drafted 2 WRs to upgrade the position. When JJ was released the Texans did not need cap room for Graham. <----ERRONEOUS STATEMENT

You are trying to sell these as "forced to by the cap" moves. That ignores all the perfectly legitimate reasons to make them. The only one which arguably hurt them on the football field was Winston. The rest are ordinary churn, part of every team's analysis of what deadwood to get rid of and where upgrades can be made.
Lot's of excuses there Ritchie...Let's review

Winston was a cap casualty simply because he offered the most cap relief without any penalty. It's that simple no matter how you try to spin it. None of your excuses, precognition or clairvoyance apply.

Lienart, Vickers and Ryans were cap casualties regardless of how you try and spin it. They were high end salary cap relief and that's why they were released. No way the Texans could have re-signed Foster without some major cap relief. It's that simple no matter how you try to spin it.

Even with all the cap casualties the Texans still had to restructure contracts (Johnson & Joseph $10 mil) in order to get the season under way. It's that simple no matter how you try to spin it.

Graham - signed May 7th for another leg in camp which is done every year. - If that were the case they would have done that in 2013. They didn't and that makes your argument null & void. It's that simple no matter how you try to spin it.

Your mentality of the salary cap is exactly why there are salary cap problems.Learn to follow the money. Learn and understand that most all decisions made are a direct result of the money available. Your post will be more accurate and filled with less excuses.

How's your Mecedes-Benz 2dr Roadster SL63 AMG Convertible? Oh you don't have one. You can't afford it. I understand, I can't either.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013   #386
Tailgate
Fall of Hame
 
Tailgate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Houston, TX - Born and raised
Age: 36
Posts: 3,174
Rep Power: 32471 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Rick Smith's poor job of managing the cap has closed our window for the time bein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
Rackers was a Top 5 PK in 2011 so this pretty much makes your argument of an upgrade null and void. Even if the Texans wanted to sign Rackers or Graham prior to the 2012 draft they didn't have the available salary cap to do so. They simply did not have the money. Therefore it doesn't take a genius to understand that they drafted a player they could afford. It doesn't take a genius to understand that the salary cap dictated the decision to draft Bullock. It wouldn't be the first time that the Texans drafted a player that had a conditioning or medical issue. When the Texans realized they needed another option to Bullock in 2012, the first thing they had to do was release Jacoby Jones so they could afford to sign Graham. It's not that complicated. It's basic deductive reasoning and general logic vs making more excuses for the Texans. If you have studied the Texans player personnel transactions over the years you would know this is a pattern of behavior. The salary cap controls the Texans, the Texans do not control the salary cap. It's the old adage, you want to know the answer? you want to know why? follow the money
Dude, you are trying too hard w the whole kicker thing here.

In 2011, pff has Rackers at #16 overall in fg% and was 4 of 8 in fgs from 40-49... And ranked #29 in kickoffs.

In 2012, Graham was ranked #26 in fg%, and #37 in kickoffs. Now, I will concede that alot of Graham 's lower fg% is due to misses from 50+.

But the fact remains, Rackers and Graham are no longer on ANY team. And you know who is tearing it up? Blair Walsh, a 23 yr old kicker who was DRAFTED in the 6th round by the Vikings. Again, its not inconceivable to think we were drafting an upgrade and long term solution for the future when we drafted Bullock. I honestly dont know what else to tell you.
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013   #387
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid
 
Honoring Earl 34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Houston
Age: 51
Posts: 19,348
Rep Power: 212977 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Rick Smith's poor job of managing the cap has closed our window for the time bein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
Lot's of excuses there Ritchie...Let's review

Winston was a cap casualty simply because he offered the most cap relief without any penalty. It's that simple no matter how you try to spin it. None of your excuses, precognition or clairvoyance apply.

Lienart, Vickers and Ryans were cap casualties regardless of how you try and spin it. They were high end salary cap relief and that's why they were released. No way the Texans could have re-signed Foster without some major cap relief. It's that simple no matter how you try to spin it.

Even with all the cap casualties the Texans still had to restructure contracts (Johnson & Joseph $10 mil) in order to get the season under way. It's that simple no matter how you try to spin it.

Graham - signed May 7th for another leg in camp which is done every year. - If that were the case they would have done that in 2013. They didn't and that makes your argument null & void. It's that simple no matter how you try to spin it.

Your mentality of the salary cap is exactly why there are salary cap problems.Learn to follow the money. Learn and understand that most all decisions made are a direct result of the money available. Your post will be more accurate and filled with less excuses.

How's your Mecedes-Benz 2dr Roadster SL63 AMG Convertible? Oh you don't have one. You can't afford it. I understand, I can't either.
I think y'all are saying the same thing in an around about way .

If you make 5 million dollars but play like a 1.5 million dollar player , you better watch it . Why ... cause they have a 2nd year ,7th round pick waiting in the wings and for a lot less .
__________________
I wanted to write something big .

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013   #388
Texian
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 3,857
Rep Power: 66253 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Rick Smith's poor job of managing the cap has closed our window for the time bein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate View Post
Dude, you are trying too hard w the whole kicker thing here.

In 2011, pff has Rackers at #16 overall in fg% and was 4 of 8 in fgs from 40-49... And ranked #29 in kickoffs.

In 2012, Graham was ranked #26 in fg%, and #37 in kickoffs. Now, I will concede that alot of Graham 's lower fg% is due to misses from 50+.

But the fact remains, Rackers and Graham are no longer on ANY team. And you know who is tearing it up? Blair Walsh, a 23 yr old kicker who was DRAFTED in the 6th round by the Vikings. Again, its not inconceivable to think we were drafting an upgrade and long term solution for the future when we drafted Bullock. I honestly dont know what else to tell you.
http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorysta...alse&Submit=Go

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorysta...alse&Submit=Go

Conceivable or Inconceivable the bottom line is that drafting Bullock was dictated by the salary cap. Justin Tucker is doing better than Walsh and Bullock. So what you're saying is the Texans wasted a 5th RD draft pick on PK.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013   #389
Texian
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 3,857
Rep Power: 66253 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Rick Smith's poor job of managing the cap has closed our window for the time bein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
I think y'all are saying the same thing in an around about way .

If you make 5 million dollars but play like a 1.5 million dollar player , you better watch it . Why ... cause they have a 2nd year ,7th round pick waiting in the wings and for a lot less .
Here is what I am saying....

The Texans drafted a PK with a 5th RD pick because they didn't have the money to sign an experienced veteran. The Texans could NOT afford to sign an experienced Vet PK without first releasing a player with an equal or greater salary cap hit or restructuring contracts and borrowing enough money from future years to pay for players this year.....that's what I am saying.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013   #390
Tailgate
Fall of Hame
 
Tailgate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Houston, TX - Born and raised
Age: 36
Posts: 3,174
Rep Power: 32471 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Rick Smith's poor job of managing the cap has closed our window for the time bein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
So what you're saying is the Texans wasted a 5th RD draft pick on PK.
Is that not obvious at this point? And to me says they INVESTED a lot more in this guy than you want to admit.
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013   #391
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid
 
Honoring Earl 34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Houston
Age: 51
Posts: 19,348
Rep Power: 212977 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Rick Smith's poor job of managing the cap has closed our window for the time bein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
Here is what I am saying....

The Texans drafted a PK with a 5th RD pick because they didn't have the money to sign an experienced veteran. The Texans could NOT afford to sign an experienced Vet PK without first releasing a player with an equal or greater salary cap hit or restructuring contracts and borrowing enough money from future years to pay for players this year.....that's what I am saying.
I know they don't have much wiggle room . The elephant in the room to me is , they got this way before they became real super bowl contenders .
__________________
I wanted to write something big .

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013   #392
76Texan
Hall of Fame
 
76Texan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 13,561
Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Rick Smith's poor job of managing the cap has closed our window for the time bein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
Here is what I am saying....

The Texans drafted a PK with a 5th RD pick because they didn't have the money to sign an experienced veteran. The Texans could NOT afford to sign an experienced Vet PK without first releasing a player with an equal or greater salary cap hit or restructuring contracts and borrowing enough money from future years to pay for players this year.....that's what I am saying.
I get your point, Texian.

But that was why I brought up the other two kickers drafted in the sixth round; you even added the UDFA from UT (a Houston native no less.)

These guys performed at basically the same pay as Bullock, with less in signing bonus. Teams don't need to go after veterans.

On the one hand, you have to balance between paying a veteran and the possibility of a young talent.

It seems to me that you pick and choose.

If the Texans hit on all the picks, none of us would complain, since young talents are always cheaper than the vets.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013   #393
Texian
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 3,857
Rep Power: 66253 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Rick Smith's poor job of managing the cap has closed our window for the time bein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate View Post
Is that not obvious at this point? And to me says they INVESTED a lot more in this guy than you want to admit.
Oh make no mistake, I freely admit the Texans have more invested in Bullock than was originally planned. Not only a 5th rd draft pick but Texans also had to release Jones to bring in Graham, the Texans had to spend an additional $1 million on Graham they hadn't intended on. The Texans certainly didn't intend on bringing in Rackers and Graham today and the probability of spending another $500K for another PK for 8 games left in the season.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013   #394
Texian
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 3,857
Rep Power: 66253 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Rick Smith's poor job of managing the cap has closed our window for the time bein

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
I get your point, Texian.

But that was why I brought up the other two kickers drafted in the sixth round; you even added the UDFA from UT (a Houston native no less.)

These guys performed at basically the same pay as Bullock, with less in signing bonus. Teams don't need to go after veterans.

On the one hand, you have to balance between paying a veteran and the possibility of a young talent.

It seems to me that you pick and choose.

If the Texans hit on all the picks, none of us would complain, since young talents are always cheaper than the vets.
Basically my point is the Texans are in this position because they put themselves in this position because of poor salary cap management. When you begin each league year without enough money to meet your minimum financial obligations for 3 years in a row that is poor salary cap management. It causes a deterioration in talent, prevents teams from adding quality talent and forces them to make decisions that they don't necessarily want to make and that is exactly where the Texans are today.....no excuses from me, follow the money, it tells actual and true story.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013   #395
76Texan
Hall of Fame
 
76Texan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 13,561
Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Rick Smith's poor job of managing the cap has closed our window for the time bein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
Basically my point is the Texans are in this position because they put themselves in this position because of poor salary cap management. When you begin each league year without enough money to meet your minimum financial obligations for 3 years in a row that is poor salary cap management. It causes a deterioration in talent, prevents teams from adding quality talent and forces them to make decisions that they don't necessarily want to make and that is exactly where the Texans are today.....no excuses from me, follow the money, it tells actual and true story.
I would explore this further with you, except my dislike for the business side of football prevents it from happening.

I'm just not interested in it even though I do follow it.
It gives me no joy.

It's a good excercise for me to learn a little here and there.

All I need to know is it's not a hindrance to the team's performance.

For one thing, fixing the ST doesn't require a hell lot of capitals.
Why they fail to address this for so long is beyond me.
And it has nothing to do with cap space.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013   #396
Texian
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 3,857
Rep Power: 66253 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Rick Smith's poor job of managing the cap has closed our window for the time bein

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
I would explore this further with you, except my dislike for the business side of football prevents it from happening.

I'm just not interested in it even though I do follow it.
It gives me no joy.

It's a good excercise for me to learn a little here and there.

All I need to know is it's not a hindrance to the team's performance.

For one thing, fixing the ST doesn't require a hell lot of capitals.
Why they fail to address this for so long is beyond me.
And it has nothing to do with cap space.
It is very hard, darn near impossible to fix the X and Os if don't understand the Dollars and Cents.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013   #397
Tailgate
Fall of Hame
 
Tailgate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Houston, TX - Born and raised
Age: 36
Posts: 3,174
Rep Power: 32471 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Rick Smith's poor job of managing the cap has closed our window for the time bein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
Oh make no mistake, I freely admit the Texans have more invested in Bullock than was originally planned. Not only a 5th rd draft pick but Texans also had to release Jones to bring in Graham, the Texans had to spend an additional $1 million on Graham they hadn't intended on. The Texans certainly didn't intend on bringing in Rackers and Graham today and the probability of spending another $500K for another PK for 8 games left in the season.
Yes, they had to bring in Graham because an unforseen injury to Bullock. Had they got the pick right they would have secured our kicker for the future instead. And considering his resume in college this is not a move I can fault.
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013   #398
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid
 
Honoring Earl 34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Houston
Age: 51
Posts: 19,348
Rep Power: 212977 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Rick Smith's poor job of managing the cap has closed our window for the time bein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
It is very hard, darn near impossible to fix the X and Os if don't understand the Dollars and Cents.
You can paint yourself in a corner if you give an average X the pay of an all pro X .
__________________
I wanted to write something big .

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013   #399
76Texan
Hall of Fame
 
76Texan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 13,561
Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Rick Smith's poor job of managing the cap has closed our window for the time bein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
It is very hard, darn near impossible to fix the X and Os if don't understand the Dollars and Cents.
Oh trust me; I understand the world we live in.

No matter how I loath the business side of football, I understand that I need to know about it's influential on the football side .

Reading books about the whole thing helps keep one uptodate as well.
I love the public library.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013   #400
76Texan
Hall of Fame
 
76Texan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 13,561
Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Rick Smith's poor job of managing the cap has closed our window for the time bein

Also, having like a gazillion people around me in the accounting/financial world help a bit .
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger