Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 11-04-2013   #121
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 85909 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Where to spend the 2014 1st round pick?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
If we get a top 5 pick and one of those qb's fall to us, we should trade back for a massive package (I know I know, that's what she said)

But seriously, this team needs a lot if help. We need a RB, DB's, LB's, DL...
True, but at the same time you are passing on the top guy at a couple positions of need. Matthews and Barr would be ripe for the picking at top 5. Trade back and get a few more picks but then you miss out on a top prospect.

We have tons of holes though I agree. It's a slippery slope to navigate.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013   #122
NCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69514 NCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by htownfan32 View Post
JJO killed this team and my fantasy. 30 ****ing points from TY Hilton.

I'd kill for Purifoy from UF, but I'd rather lock up safety in the first with Haha Dix out of Bama.

Verrett from TCU in the second? or maybe Aaron Colvin from OU.
Safety help would definitely help. I'd be more comfortable trotting JJo out there with a new safety than a new corner with Reed.
NCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013   #123
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27154 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If we get a top 5 pick and one of those qb's fall to us, we should trade back for a massive package (I know I know, that's what she said)

I agree, a trade from top 5 to around pick 20ish should gain us an upper 2nd round pick and a upper 3rd as well. Hopefully there's a team out there to make such a deal. We have lots of holes and need alot of help. We could still get one of the best CB's at #20 and then add some quality with 2 picks in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013   #124
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 85909 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
I agree, a trade from top 5 to around pick 20ish should gain us an upper 2nd round pick and a upper 3rd as well. Hopefully there's a team out there to make such a deal. We have lots of holes and need alot of help. We could still get one of the best CB's at #20 and then add some quality with 2 picks in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.
The problem is most teams picking toward the end of the round already have a QB. The only teams I can think of that may be drafting toward 20 that may want a QB is Chicago and Arizona. Maybe another team would be willing to trade up that far for Matthews, Barr, or Clowney.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013   #125
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 112833 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

This. I'm beginning to think that Keenum is definitely the guy (we have the rest of the season to evaluate. I'm fully in draft mode right now) and if he is we can afford to take a 2nd or 3rd round QB.

RB is a need. Foster... I'm not above cutting him if need be. He's worn out. How would you guys feel about Melvin Gordon out of Wisconsin?
htownfan32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013   #126
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29411 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

Quote:

Why not take the qb?
Old 11-04-2013   #127
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56086 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by htownfan32 View Post
This. I'm beginning to think that Keenum is definitely the guy (we have the rest of the season to evaluate. I'm fully in draft mode right now) and if he is we can afford to take a 2nd or 3rd round QB.

RB is a need. Foster... I'm not above cutting him if need be. He's worn out. How would you guys feel about Melvin Gordon out of Wisconsin?
Way to early on Keenum. If I showed you the first half tape, sure. If I showed you the 2nd half tape, maybe not.Conventional Wisdom is a QB needs 30 starts before you really know what you got.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013   #128
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
Way to early on Keenum. If I showed you the first half tape, sure. If I showed you the 2nd half tape, maybe not.Conventional Wisdom is a QB needs 30 starts before you really know what you got.
I agree that it's still early to make a final call on Keenum, but his second half tape doesn't look bad either. That deep ball to Posey on the right sideline was not too far off; it would have made everything so very different; and he was robbed on the third down conversion to AJ, too.

On another note, is there any O-lineman on the Baylor Bears squad worth keeping an eye on? Petty and Seatrunk had so much fun behind them; the next few games will be a better indication, but Seatrunk sure looks like a great back.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013   #129
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67005 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Purifoy from Florida hasn't been getting the PT that his talent would suggest he should due to behavioral issues. I'm not sure exactly what is going on, but sounds to me like he has some type of attitude problem. I'm sure we will know more later in the draft process.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013   #130
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 240829 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigeztx View Post
Why not take the qb?
Because this draft has lots of QBs, but not one great QB. If there were a Luck-caliber guy available, you take him. That may yet turn out to be the consensus, but as of right now, no QB expected to come out gives me that vibe. So trade back, add a couple picks, and grab a QB in the 2nd or 3rd round, a la Aaron Murray, AJ McCarron, etc.

Of course, if you're head over heels in love with Boyd or Bridgewater, then this scenario doesn't appeal to you. I'm not.
Old 11-04-2013   #131
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 240829 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I can go with that, as long as the people saying that recognize that Keenum has 2 more (or 10 more) starts down that road than whoever you want to draft.
Old 11-04-2013   #132
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56086 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
I agree that it's still early to make a final call on Keenum, but his second half tape doesn't look bad either. That deep ball to Posey on the right sideline was not too far off; it would have made everything so very different; and he was robbed on the third down conversion to AJ, too.

On another note, is there any O-lineman on the Baylor Bears squad worth keeping an eye on? Petty and Seatrunk had so much fun behind them; the next few games will be a better indication, but Seatrunk sure looks like a great back.
Cyril Richardson is consenus #1 OG in 2014 draft
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013   #133
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 181073 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
I can go with that, as long as the people saying that recognize that Keenum has 2 more (or 10 more) starts down that road than whoever you want to draft.
Im REALLY torn on taking a QB early .... So far Keenum has looked damn good but it is early and teams are going to catch up to what he's doing - Can he adjust !?

There are several QB's coming out this year that have franchise potential .... I'd hate to miss out if Keenum isn't the answer.

Screw it , give me a dominant RT and lets roll with it.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013   #134
eriadoc
Texan-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
Im REALLY torn on taking a QB early .... So far Keenum has looked damn good but it is early and teams are going to catch up to what he's doing - Can he adjust !?

There are several QB's coming out this year that have franchise potential .... I'd hate to miss out if Keenum isn't the answer.

Screw it , give me a dominant RT and lets roll with it.
First off, you aren't going to have that answer until the end of the year. And that's a good thing, because with ten starts under his belt, you'll have a much better idea whether or not he has the potential to be a franchise QB. Second, I just don't see any of these guys jumping off the page and screaming first round to me. I know a couple of them will get taken in the first round just because the position is so critical, but I feel like you can get a guy in the 3rd round that has just as much potential as a guy you'd get in the 1st round, for just this draft. The combine will come along and change the equation, I'm sure, but so will Keenum's play. So there's a lot to shake out yet.
Old 11-04-2013   #135
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29411 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
Because this draft has lots of QBs, but not one great QB. If there were a Luck-caliber guy available, you take him. That may yet turn out to be the consensus, but as of right now, no QB expected to come out gives me that vibe. So trade back, add a couple picks, and grab a QB in the 2nd or 3rd round, a la Aaron Murray, AJ McCarron, etc.

Of course, if you're head over heels in love with Boyd or Bridgewater, then this scenario doesn't appeal to you. I'm not.
its not like luck is burning the world down. He's struggling just like all the other young qb in the 3rd yr or less. If there is a qb you feel has the upside of a top qb,then you take him. I'm pretty sure no one thought the uber productive rodger would be rodgers. Just because you draft a guy early doesn't mean you have to play him right away. If the guy needs seasoning,so be it,but that's not a reason to pass because you may not have the chance again. Remember the giants were 5-2 before eli took over. Tommy maddox had just put up all time numbers for pittsburgh the year they took big ben. They didn't pass either of those because they didn't see the next peyton,they deemed them franchise caliber qbs regardless of the holdover. If they grade hundley,boyd,or whomever franchise caliber when they're availible,you gotta take them.
Old 11-04-2013   #136
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 171483 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'd take him and throw that ZBS in the trash can . Well maybe every once in awhile run it as a change of pace .

Other guys I'd want are ,

1. Anthony Barr
2. Louis Nix
3. Matthews
4. lewan
5. Evans
Old 11-04-2013   #137
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
He is dam good too. Put him at left guard and we are set for the next ten years. Unfortunately He might go in the first round.
Old 11-04-2013   #138
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 330323 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Tommy maddox had just put up all time numbers for pittsburgh the year they took big ben.
All time what numbers? - crap. Maddox was 33 years old and had a horrible 2003 - 57.4% comp. 3414 yds, 18 TDs, 17 INTs, 6.6 ypa, 75.3 QB rating.
Old 11-04-2013   #139
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Why not take the qb?
Because I like case and really I don't know if I trust any of these qb's to be franchise guys that I'd take top 5.

Plus the team has tons of holes they need to fill. Too bad they are so slow to recognize issues and make their fair share of questionable roster choices otherwise the team might be more well rounded.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013   #140
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 171483 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
All time what numbers? - crap. Maddox was 33 years old and had a horrible 2003 - 57.4% comp. 3414 yds, 18 TDs, 17 INTs, 6.6 ypa, 75.3 QB rating.
He came back after selling insurance and had a good year . I think he's the guy the Texans picked off several times for TDs and the Texans beat the Steelers with only having 100 yards offense .

The road is littered with Kelvin Cato type signings at QB . I think Case is different because his mental game is his strong suit . I think you can steal a good QB prospect this year in the 3rd to go along with Keenum .

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read