Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 11-02-2013   #41
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 141276 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Tajh Boyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
McCarron so far 2013 - 69.4% completion average (consider afforded plus time/protection) 8.9 avg. per catch (suggests game management dink & dunk) 16 TD's vs 3 Int's (lower completion yardage increase ball security) 166.61 passer rating & 232.8 yards per.game

McCarron 2012 - 67.2 completion average, 9.3 avg. per catch 30 TD's vs 3 Int's. passer rating 175.28 & 209.5 yards per game (more effective running the ball).

McCarron 2011 - 66.8 completion average 8.0 avg. per catch 16 TD's vs 5 Int's 147.27 passer rating & 202.6 yards per game.

Game manager. Low ceiling. Consistently progressing but trending only slightly above average.

Boyd same number games for 2013 - 63.9 completion average, 8.5 yards per catch, 17 TD's vs 5 INT's 153.05 passer rating & 280.4 yards per game. Heavy on passing attack, unbalanced, more risk with inferior OL & running game.

Boyd 2012 with Hopkins - 67.2 completion average 9.1 yards per catch 36 TD's vs 13 Int's, 165.58 passer rating & 299.7 yards per game. Still heavy on passing attack but better balanced. Risk taker, strong arm.

Boyd 2011 - 59.7 completion average 7.7 yards per catch 33 TD's vs 12 Int's 141.17 passer rating & 273.4 yards per game.

Pass happy QB who developed more over his tenure than MaCarron but who still lacks game management & ball security skills. Natural leadership & athletic ability, still developing.

Even though Johnny Manziel has played only two years (redshirt sophomore) I would like to throw him into the mix just for comparison.

Manziel 2013 - 73.0 completion average 10.3 yards per catch 22 TD's vs 8 Int's 181.95 passer rating & 324.3 yards per game.

Manziel 2012 - 68.0 completion average 8.5 yards per catch 26 TD's 9 Int's 155.32 passer rating & 285.1 yards per game.

Most dynamic of three. Huge jump in averages across the board, still reckless @ times with ball, but clearly ascending higher. Likes to stretch the field (defenses). If he declares early? he will probably be rated only behind Bridgewater @ QB position. I seriously doubt Mariota will come out who is an entirely different cat all together.
You identified with parenthesis that McCarron's 8.9 YPC suggest he is a game manager, dinker and dunker yet not the same for Boyd at 8.3? Please clarify.

Clemson's rushing average per game is 174, Alabama's 210 so maybe McCarron does not have to pass as much?
Old 11-02-2013   #42
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 116440 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

McCarron reminds me...Matt Leinhert. Best of the best around him, makes a couple of plays, has a monster OL. Made Leinhert a ton of money base off of inflated college stats but zero production in the NFL. JMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013   #43
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
You identified with parenthesis that McCarron's 8.9 YPC suggest he is a game manager, dinker and dunker yet not the same for Boyd at 8.3? Please clarify.

Clemson's rushing average per game is 174, Alabama's 210 so maybe McCarron does not have to pass as much?
that in itself implies the definition of a game manager

plus Boyd's OL does not compare to Alabama.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013   #44
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 74980 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
McCarron reminds me...Matt Leinhert. Best of the best around him, makes a couple of plays, has a monster OL. Made Leinhert a ton of money base off of inflated college stats but zero production in the NFL. JMO.
McCarron has a much stronger arm than Leinhart ever had.

Luck had a monster OL with draft picks on his OL (DeCastro/Martin) 2 TE's (Fleener/Toililo) RB (Taylor) and really good college WR's (Owasu/Whalen) and nobody compared him to Leinhart. BTW Luck only won 1 bowl game. (So obviously he stunk. (Sarcasm////)

I like the way McCarron took his team down the field in less than 2 mins against LSU's defense in time of crisis with NC hopes on the line.

McCarron has the size/mobility/leadership qualities/ his arm is plenty strong enough to make all of the throws and I believe he has much room to improve as a pro. Because like all leaders he has a strong work ethic.

Hence McCarron #2 on Steel B's QB board.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013   #45
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216695 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
Im stuck between career backup & an Alex Smith type who just doesn't make any mistakes but isn't going to carry your team. Now if you have a team with a great running game & defense .... Alex Smith is just fine , just look at what he's done the past three seasons , something like 32-6.
watching this conversation about McCarron for some reason has me thinking of Troy Aikman. Not "flashy" like Romo or Manziel, but the things he did in the pocket won the Cowboys many a game.

I think he fits badboy's description of game manager to a tee. But he wasn't a game manager.
Old 11-03-2013   #46
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
How would he do on Texans? HOF WR, 1st round Hopkins, Pro Bowler D. Brown, Foster and decent TEs. Seems like a very good fit.
How'd Matt Schaub fit until this season .... Well enough to make a couple wildcard came wins and divisional round exits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
watching this conversation about McCarron for some reason has me thinking of Troy Aikman. Not "flashy" like Romo or Manziel, but the things he did in the pocket won the Cowboys many a game.

I think he fits badboy's description of game manager to a tee. But he wasn't a game manager.
That's why I think his upside is Alex Smith ..... who has a team much like Aikman's Sh!tpies. Very good defense , very good running game .... tho Aikman did have better weapons at WR/TE.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013   #47
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56086 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
McCarron has a much stronger arm than Leinhart ever had.

Luck had a monster OL with draft picks on his OL (DeCastro/Martin) 2 TE's (Fleener/Toililo) RB (Taylor) and really good college WR's (Owasu/Whalen) and nobody compared him to Leinhart. BTW Luck only won 1 bowl game. (So obviously he stunk. (Sarcasm////)

I like the way McCarron took his team down the field in less than 2 mins against LSU's defense in time of crisis with NC hopes on the line.

McCarron has the size/mobility/leadership qualities/ his arm is plenty strong enough to make all of the throws and I believe he has much room to improve as a pro. Because like all leaders he has a strong work ethic.

Hence McCarron #2 on Steel B's QB board.
A good objective analysis and not done with a preconceived idea of wanting McCarron to fail. McCarron has been outstanding when the game is on the the line. This is one of my the most important and critical evaluation considerations. This was also strongly evident in SEC Championship game against Georgia last year. Not only does he step up when the game is on the line, he doesn't make many mistakes, far less than his competition.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013   #48
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 45929 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected

http://www.niuhuskies.com/sports/m-f...ch_402677.html

I am not too keen on the draft status of players but it seem someone should/will kick the tires on this guy.

Old 11-04-2013   #49
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The definition I posted definitely eliminates McCarron as a system QB so evidently you did not know it. I am not interested in your time on a MB (or mine either) as that implies nothing. Understand I am not attacking you but asking you to present something to support what you are saying. If you think AJ is poor passer or not mobile for example, say so.
You go with whatever definition you want. Just because you find something on the internet doesn't mean it's the standard everyone should go by. I have watched him play many times. He gives me the game manager vibe. Like another poster here said, he reminds me of an Alex smith type QB. Alex smith has some pretty dam good stats over the last two years also yet he is widely considered a game manager by almost anyone you talk to.
Old 11-04-2013   #50
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 94174 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

After seeing two games of Keenum's arm and mobility, I don't want a new QB. I want the guy we already have at least for one more season. Keenum's arm is starting to remind me more and more of Aaron Rodgers.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013   #51
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
After seeing two games of Keenum's arm and mobility, I don't want a new QB. I want the guy we already have at least for one more season. Keenum's arm is starting to remind me more and more of Aaron Rodgers.
I love what I have seen too but it's just to dam soon to make any kind of judgment call on Keenam. He needs to show he can perform at this level consistently before I'll say let's pass on a QB in the draft. Even then if we have a chance at a franchise type QB we should really consider it.
Old 11-05-2013   #52
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81730 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
I love what I have seen too but it's just to dam soon to make any kind of judgment call on Keenam. He needs to show he can perform at this level consistently before I'll say let's pass on a QB in the draft. Even then if we have a chance at a franchise type QB we should really consider it.
IMO, neither Geno Smith nor Boyd can be upgrade from Keenum.
They are bigger, but not better QBs.

Keenum makes the guys around him better, especially the O-line.

I know many of you thought I was crazy when I considered drafting him in the first round; the only thing I would concede at the time is his stature and injury history; to safeguard against the risk, I would put him in the third to fourth round category because his floor is a great backup QB.

I was very comfortable drafting him in the second round though.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013   #53
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 66299 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I have to agree.

If Keenum plays the way he has been playing, we have something here and probably shouldn't look at a QB for the first few rounds, unless it's a sure fire franchise guy. I don't see a sure fire franchise quarterback in this draft. The closest thing is probably Bridgewater.

Having said that, we just haven't seen enough play time from Keenum to make that call yet. It's looking more and more like we may have something special though, which would be the best case scenario, obviously.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013   #54
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56086 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
IMO, neither Geno Smith nor Boyd can be upgrade from Keenum.
They are bigger, but not better QBs.

Keenum makes the guys around him better, especially the O-line.

I know many of you thought I was crazy when I considered drafting him in the first round; the only thing I would concede at the time is his stature and injury history; to safeguard against the risk, I would put him in the third to fourth round category because his floor is a great backup QB.

I was very comfortable drafting him in the second round though.
Geno Smith has more 4th quarter come from behind and game winning drives than any NFL rookie before him and he's still figuring it out. To some this comes as no surprise as did it time and time again in college.
Old 11-05-2013   #55
coon
Veteran

Rep Power: 4738 coon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You go with whatever definition you want. Just because you find something on the internet doesn't mean it's the standard everyone should go by. I have watched him play many times. He gives me the game manager vibe. Like another poster here said, he reminds me of an Alex smith type QB. Alex smith has some pretty dam good stats over the last two years also yet he is widely considered a game manager by almost anyone you talk to.
I have have seen most of his games as well. In a large amount of the big games Alabama has played the outcome is decided by the half. McCarron takes these games over right from the start. Taking what the defense gives you without turning it over is a big part of being a good nfl Qb, but I see a kid who can also throw people open and dominate games. I will respectfully disagree that his ceiling is an Alex Smith type.
coon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013   #56
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81730 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
Geno Smith has more 4th quarter come from behind and game winning drives than any NFL rookie before him and he's still figuring it out. To some this comes as no surprise as did it time and time again in college.
With 15 seconds left, The ball at the Jets 45, Smith ran for 10 to the Bucs 45.
The Bucs committed a stupid 15-yd penalty that have the Jets the ball at the 30.
Folk made a 48-yd FG to win the game.
If you call that a winning drive; it's your choice.

The Bills gave the game away despite two INTs by Smith.

The Falcons also gave the game away; they aren't much better off than the Texans in this regard.

The Pats played an uncharacteristic game.
The Jets missed a 56yd FG, but the Pats committed a 15-yd penalty to give the Jets a first down.
Eleven consecutive run plays on that drive, including a one-yard loss by Smith brought about a 42yd winning FG.
Old 11-05-2013   #57
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
The Bucs committed a stupid 15-yd penalty that have the Jets the ball at the 30.

The Falcons also gave the game away; they aren't much better off than the Texans in this regard.

The Jets missed a 56yd FG, but the Pats committed a 15-yd penalty to give the Jets a first down.
Eleven consecutive run plays on that drive, including a one-yard loss by Smith brought about a 42yd winning FG.
If you think 13 INTs (including 3 pick-sixes) as the definition of a franchise QB, then more power to you.
Old 11-05-2013   #58
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 141276 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
that in itself implies the definition of a game manager

plus Boyd's OL does not compare to Alabama.
You avoided my question, if McCarron's YPC = game manager, then the other QB at .5 yards less should indicate same. You cannot have it both ways. In 2012 McCarron threw 42 passes greater than 20 yards.
Old 11-05-2013   #59
Exascor
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35348 Exascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
Then Geno Smith obviously didn't play well enough in the first 3 quarters. Same with Luck. He was a well below average QB on Sunday night...until the 4th. That is a terribly overrated stat.
Old 11-05-2013   #60
Texian
Hall of Fame

Quote:

Quote:
If you think 13 INTs (including 3 pick-sixes) as the definition of a franchise QB, then more power to you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exascor View Post
Then Geno Smith obviously didn't play well enough in the first 3 quarters. Same with Luck. He was a well below average QB on Sunday night...until the 4th. That is a terribly overrated stat.
A lot of if's, and's and but's there fellas

Texans 20 Seattle 6; Texans 21 Colts 3; (not the first time)

Last edited by Texian; 11-05-2013 at 03:00 PM.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read