Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read


Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2013   #341
dream_team
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,506
Rep Power: 25709 dream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Rick Smith's poor job of managing the cap has closed our window for the time bein

This thread is lame... according to Texans Talk, no one in this organization deserves any kind of credit. So let me get this straight, we have:

1) A horrible GM
2) Lame Head Coach
3) Backup QB as a starter
4) Over-paid defensive players
5) Predictable offense and defense
6) And the worst special teams in the league

But somehow we were able to win the division, make playoffs, and win two playoff games the past two seasons. Not to mention, alot of experts consider the Texans to have the most talented roster in the NFL.

If everyone is doing a bad job in the organization, we then must be the luckiest team in history!

For those of you that think Rick has been doing such a bad job, then who do you think deserves the credit for the team's success the past two seasons?
dream_team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013   #342
Texian
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 3,611
Rep Power: 57863 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Rick Smith's poor job of managing the cap has closed our window for the time bein

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream_team View Post
For those of you that think Rick has been doing such a bad job, then who do you think deserves the credit for the team's success the past two seasons?
#1 Peyton Manning for not playing in 2011 and going to Denver in 2012. #2 Jeff Fisher's decision to leave Tennessee in 2011 and go to the Rams in 2012. These two transactions immediately made the Texans a much better team and a contender for the Division title. #3 The Cincinnati Bengals for making it to the playoffs 2 years in a row. You can't write the script any better than that.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013   #343
infantrycak
Lead Moderator
 
infantrycak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Age: 47
Posts: 46,522
Rep Power: 336338 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Rick Smith's poor job of managing the cap has closed our window for the time bein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
#1 Peyton Manning for not playing in 2011 and going to Denver in 2012. #2 Jeff Fisher's decision to leave Tennessee in 2011 and go to the Rams in 2012. These two transactions immediately made the Texans a much better team and a contender for the Division title. #3 The Cincinnati Bengals for making it to the playoffs 2 years in a row. You can't write the script any better than that.
Nice job dodging the question. A team is the 2nd most winning team in the regular season in the NFL based on things it did.

Fisher was fired by the way and the Titans won 3 more games under Munchak the next year..
__________________
The Art of War
infantrycak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013   #344
Texian
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 3,611
Rep Power: 57863 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Rick Smith's poor job of managing the cap has closed our window for the time bein

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Nice job dodging the question. A team is the 2nd most winning team in the regular season in the NFL based on things it did.
Quote:
"#1 Peyton Manning for not playing in 2011 and going to Denver in 2012. #2 Jeff Fisher's decision to leave Tennessee in 2011 and go to the Rams in 2012. These two transactions immediately made the Texans a much better team and a contender for the Division title. #3 The Cincinnati Bengals for making it to the playoffs 2 years in a row. You can't write the script any better than that.'
#4 Playing the easiest schedule in the NFL in 2011 and 2012

Last edited by Texian; 11-01-2013 at 04:20 PM.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013   #345
Double Barrel
Modified Simian
 
Double Barrel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Onward, Upward, and back into the Trees
Section: Gridiron, Tx
Age: 48
Posts: 30,946
Rep Power: 324753 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Rick Smith's poor job of managing the cap has closed our window for the time bein

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Nice job dodging the question. A team is the 2nd most winning team in the regular season in the NFL based on things it did.

Fisher was fired by the way and the Titans won 3 more games under Munchak the next year..
God forbid anyone give Kubiak and Smith any sort of credit, much less enjoy the last couple of successful seasons.

Nevermind the fact that Fisher's last winning season with the Titans was 2008. Dude only had 6 winning seasons in 16 years.
__________________
"Football is only a diversion." ~ HOUSTON TEXANS
Double Barrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013   #346
thunderkyss 
& so it begins
 
thunderkyss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Texas
Age: 42
Posts: 34,576
Rep Power: 248395 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: Rick Smith's poor job of managing the cap has closed our window for the time bein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers_57 View Post

I do think that if Rick signed Mario, there would have been ramifications. I'm just questioning his salary cap management since letting Mario go. I guess my point is that he has been so futile at management of the cap, we might as well have kept Mario, whether that was a prudent decision, or not.
That's where the Texans made a poor assumption about the salary cap increasing in 2011, 2012, 2013, & 2014. I say poor assumption, because it was wrong. We're not the only team struggling because of it, but all the contracts signed between 2007 & 2010 were affected by that assumption. That assumption & those contracts are the main reason we lost Casey, Barwin, Demeco, & even Jacoby who were thought to be part of the core.

Some teams "guessed" right & they're reaping the benefits. Personally I think there is a difference between mismanagement & poor assumptions. I think the Texans are managing the cap well, considering they made the poor assumption.

We've got one more year of this level cap & the Texans will be in the best position they've been in, in sometime, for the upcoming season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers_57 View Post

Just because Watt was chosen, was not mutually exclusive to keeping Mario. Watt was the best pick there. Not everyone knew it at the time, but maybe you and Rick Smith, still some of us learned it later. For that I'll tip my hat to both of you.
Watt had nothing to do with Mario. He was drafted when Mario was here & they played completely different positions. Barwin's inability to produce in a contract year, along with Reed's ineffectiveness led to us drafting Mercilus to try to replace what we were getting from Mario with Watt.

That pick could have been Kevin Zeitler, Brian Quick, Coby Fleener..... or A.J. Jenkins.
__________________
thunderkyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013   #347
Oilers_57
Rookie
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Age: 42
Posts: 12
Rep Power: 0 Oilers_57 is ridin' the pine
Default Re: Rick Smith's poor job of managing the cap has closed our window for the time bein

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
That's where the Texans made a poor assumption about the salary cap increasing in 2011, 2012, 2013, & 2014. I say poor assumption, because it was wrong. We're not the only team struggling because of it, but all the contracts signed between 2007 & 2010 were affected by that assumption. That assumption & those contracts are the main reason we lost Casey, Barwin, Demeco, & even Jacoby who were thought to be part of the core.

Some teams "guessed" right & they're reaping the benefits. Personally I think there is a difference between mismanagement & poor assumptions. I think the Texans are managing the cap well, considering they made the poor assumption.

We've got one more year of this level cap & the Texans will be in the best position they've been in, in sometime, for the upcoming season.



Watt had nothing to do with Mario. He was drafted when Mario was here & they played completely different positions. Barwin's inability to produce in a contract year, along with Reed's ineffectiveness led to us drafting Mercilus to try to replace what we were getting from Mario with Watt.

That pick could have been Kevin Zeitler, Brian Quick, Coby Fleener..... or A.J. Jenkins.

I agree with the timing of the Watt pick. I was responding to the poster that implied that our drafting Watt meant that we were sending Mario packing. I was pointing out that the we could have had both. One was a newly created OLB and the other a DL, plain and simple.

My opinion is that had we kept Mario, we would not have picked Mercilus. That is my point, we could have gotten another contributor with that pick (OL). My opinion is that Mercilus became a need pick, and it was a need created by the offseason departure of Mario. Which was, to me, a bumbling idiot type move. And I also think the Texans, who later crowned Reed as Barwin's-replacement, would have been comfortable running out 90 and 58 as the OLB's, and not have been forced to pick a 'tweener (lack of production of Reed and Barwin, or not).

Also, I'm going to say that I disagree with you. If my sole job is salary cap adherence, then I don't model unfounded assumptions that will cause us to go bust, if those assumed events do not occur. Ask EFH, ask TXU, ask Luminant about PE overzealous assumptions (gas prices can't go down, right?, right??). The Texans, if they assumed that the cap would continue to expand perpetually, are to blame for making the assumption. That is the purest definition of cap adherence. It is a known amount. Known. There were likely decisions within decisions that exposed the Texans, by pushing the envelope, rather than ruthlessly adhering to a known cap.

Next season is great, if you are the Browns. We shouldn't be in a position now to sing the praises of our cap flexibility in cutting the very guys that were signed with the money "saved" by not signing Mario. We overpaid for injured players, thank heavens that we didn't go nut crazy in guaranteed money (or did we?). For comparison: Mario has ten sacks; I think Schaub has two sacks on his own.

One last point - Trindon still isn't all that expensive. Who shall we blame that one on? Trindon made Jacoby expendable. Actually, Marciano made Jones expendable when he didn't put him on the pine for picking up the bouncing betty in the Cincinnati playoff game. The Baltimore Jacoby-game was simply the result of a lack of enforcement of any type of ST discipline. Nonetheless, when Jacoby left, we had Trindon.

I don't know anymore; it just peeves me when I think about it too long.
Oilers_57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013   #348
NCTexan
Hall of Fame
 
NCTexan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Raleigh
Age: 22
Posts: 1,412
Rep Power: 69514 NCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Rick Smith's poor job of managing the cap has closed our window for the time bein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers_57 View Post
Also, I'm going to say that I disagree with you. If my sole job is salary cap adherence, then I don't model unfounded assumptions that will cause us to go bust, if those assumed events do not occur.
I don't think that's fair. With the CBA expiring they were in new territory. And I don't think it was unreasonable to expect the salary cap to increase every year. If you had told me it would be mostly stagnant for a while I would've laughed at the time.
NCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013   #349
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame
 
steelbtexan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Age: 51
Posts: 12,017
Rep Power: 84496 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Rick Smith's poor job of managing the cap has closed our window for the time bein

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream_team View Post
This thread is lame... according to Texans Talk, no one in this organization deserves any kind of credit. So let me get this straight, we have:

1) A horrible GM
2) Lame Head Coach
3) Backup QB as a starter
4) Over-paid defensive players
5) Predictable offense and defense
6) And the worst special teams in the league

But somehow we were able to win the division, make playoffs, and win two playoff games the past two seasons. Not to mention, alot of experts consider the Texans to have the most talented roster in the NFL.

If everyone is doing a bad job in the organization, we then must be the luckiest team in history!

For those of you that think Rick has been doing such a bad job, then who do you think deserves the credit for the team's success the past two seasons?
1. Wade Phillips, The Texans never made the playoffs before he got here.
2. Manning got hurt so you had a weak division.
3. Fisher leaving and QB problems, Haynesworth leaving
4. Jags stinking
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013   #350
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame
 
steelbtexan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Age: 51
Posts: 12,017
Rep Power: 84496 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Rick Smith's poor job of managing the cap has closed our window for the time bein

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
That's where the Texans made a poor assumption about the salary cap increasing in 2011, 2012, 2013, & 2014. I say poor assumption, because it was wrong. We're not the only team struggling because of it, but all the contracts signed between 2007 & 2010 were affected by that assumption. That assumption & those contracts are the main reason we lost Casey, Barwin, Demeco, & even Jacoby who were thought to be part of the core.

Some teams "guessed" right & they're reaping the benefits. Personally I think there is a difference between mismanagement & poor assumptions. I think the Texans are managing the cap well, considering they made the poor assumption.

We've got one more year of this level cap & the Texans will be in the best position they've been in, in sometime, for the upcoming season.



Watt had nothing to do with Mario. He was drafted when Mario was here & they played completely different positions. Barwin's inability to produce in a contract year, along with Reed's ineffectiveness led to us drafting Mercilus to try to replace what we were getting from Mario with Watt.

That pick could have been Kevin Zeitler, Brian Quick, Coby Fleener..... or A.J. Jenkins.
Poor assumptions get managers fired everyday, poor assumptions are the reason most small businesses fail.

Poor assumptions are the reason MW was let go, atleast Rick had the foresight to see that he wasn't going to be able to re-sign Barwin, hence the Mercilus pick.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013   #351
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame
 
steelbtexan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Age: 51
Posts: 12,017
Rep Power: 84496 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Rick Smith's poor job of managing the cap has closed our window for the time bein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
#4 Playing the easiest schedule in the NFL in 2011 and 2012
If true this explains everything.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013   #352
Vance87
Hall of Fame
 
Vance87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Age: 27
Posts: 2,020
Rep Power: 98091 Vance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Rick Smith's poor job of managing the cap has closed our window for the time bein

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
If true this explains everything.
Actually we had the second hardest schedule in the AFC last year.
__________________
Vance87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013   #353
infantrycak
Lead Moderator
 
infantrycak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Age: 47
Posts: 46,522
Rep Power: 336338 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Rick Smith's poor job of managing the cap has closed our window for the time bein

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
If true this explains everything.
According to ESPN the Texans were 29th SoS in 2012. New England was 32nd. The Texans were 10th in 2011 with New England at 15th.

Clearly the assertion was not true.

For a little more context over the two year span, wins v. losses of opponents:
Houston - .494

New England - .478
San Francisco - .482
Green Bay - .488
__________________
The Art of War
infantrycak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013   #354
Texian
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 3,611
Rep Power: 57863 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Rick Smith's poor job of managing the cap has closed our window for the time bein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vance87 View Post
Actually we had the second hardest schedule in the AFC last year.
Actually there were 12 AFC teams who played a more difficult schedule than the Texans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
If true this explains everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
According to ESPN the Texans were 29th SoS in 2012. New England was 32nd. The Texans were 10th in 2011 with New England at 15th.

Clearly the assertion was not true.

For a little more context over the two year span, wins v. losses of opponents:
Houston - .494

New England - .478
San Francisco - .482
Green Bay - .488
It is much closer to being accurate than Cak's assertion. Cak's numbers are pre-season SOS instead actual post season SOS. "A look at the most difficult schedules in 2012 (based on opponents' 2011 record)." Cak's numbers are actually for 2010 and 2011.

2011 SOS = http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/56896/
2012 SOS = http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...edule-for-2013

The Texans SOS opponents played in 2011 was .473 , a TIE for Teams 29th & 30th

The Texans SOS opponents played in 2012 was .473, a TIE for Teams 26th, 27th, 28th

That is very close to playing the easiest schedule over a 2 year period.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013   #355
infantrycak
Lead Moderator
 
infantrycak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Age: 47
Posts: 46,522
Rep Power: 336338 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Rick Smith's poor job of managing the cap has closed our window for the time bein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
It is much closer to being accurate than Cak's assertion. Cak's numbers are pre-season SOS instead actual post season SOS. "A look at the most difficult schedules in 2012 (based on opponents' 2011 record)." Cak's numbers are actually for 2010 and 2011.

2011 SOS = http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/56896/
2012 SOS = http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...edule-for-2013
Not even close.

You can't take the 2012 page and use the %s as the 2011 SOS. That calculation is the 2011 results of the teams being played in 2012. It has no bearing on the results for the teams played by the Texans in 2011.

Now if you have a source (as you should have for your assertion) for 2011 SOS calculated after the season based on actual results then by all means provide it and we will test your assertion once again.
__________________
The Art of War
infantrycak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013   #356
badboy
Site Contributor
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Clear Lake
Posts: 23,317
Rep Power: 153912 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Rick Smith's poor job of managing the cap has closed our window for the time bein

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCTexan View Post
I don't think that's fair. With the CBA expiring they were in new territory. And I don't think it was unreasonable to expect the salary cap to increase every year. If you had told me it would be mostly stagnant for a while I would've laughed at the time.
Just curious, the NFL set the cap and all it's workings and forced it on the players; so how were the individual team owners surprised? McNair is one of the big dogs and is well respected so how come he didn't know cap would be flat in new CBA? Cannot believe the commish came up with it on his own and "surprised" the owners with a plan that saved them millions.
__________________
I want to be able to recognize the difference between a "want" and a "need" and then I want to be satisfied with getting a need
badboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013   #357
Texian
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 3,611
Rep Power: 57863 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Rick Smith's poor job of managing the cap has closed our window for the time bein

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Not even close.

You can't take the 2012 page and use the %s as the 2011 SOS. That calculation is the 2011 results of the teams being played in 2012. It has no bearing on the results for the teams played by the Texans in 2011.

Now if you have a source (as you should have for your assertion) for 2011 SOS calculated after the season based on actual results then by all means provide it and we will test your assertion once again.
You made a mistake. It happens. A misinterpretation. The teams that Texans actually played in 2011 had a cumulative W-L record of .473. The teams that the Texans actually played in 2012 had a cumulative W-L of .473. A pre-season SOS is a projection. A post season SOS is reality. The 2012 pre-season SOS is the actual 2011 season real W-L record. The 2103 pre-season SOS is the actual 2012 real W-L record.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013   #358
infantrycak
Lead Moderator
 
infantrycak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Age: 47
Posts: 46,522
Rep Power: 336338 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Rick Smith's poor job of managing the cap has closed our window for the time bein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
You made a mistake. It happens. A misinterpretation. The teams that Texans actually played in 2011 had a cumulative W-L record of .473. The teams that the Texans actually played in 2012 had a cumulative W-L of .473.

That is not the numbers in those tables. The 2012 table shows the 2011 record of the teams the Texans were to play in 2012. The 2011 table shows the 2010 record of the teams the Texans were to play in 2011. Yes it is a projection from one year old results. Your error is in trying to look at that 2011 number and say it has anything to do with the Texans in 2011. It does not. It is entirely about the performance of the 2012 opponents in 2011.

Quote:
A post season SOS is reality.
One which you still have not demonstrated.

But I will spot you one. The actual 2012 results of the teams the Texans played in 2012 was 127-129 rather than the 121-135 projected from 2011 results, i.e. it was harder, and ended up at .496 instead of .473.

That was due primarily to the Colts' improvement. 2011 was easier than projected due primarily to the Colts cratering.
__________________
The Art of War
infantrycak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013   #359
Texian
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 3,611
Rep Power: 57863 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Rick Smith's poor job of managing the cap has closed our window for the time bein

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
That is not the numbers in those tables. The 2012 table shows the 2011 record of the teams the Texans were to play in 2012. The 2011 table shows the 2010 record of the teams the Texans were to play in 2011. Yes it is a projection from one year old results. Your error is in trying to look at that 2011 number and say it has anything to do with the Texans in 2011. It does not. It is entirely about the performance of the 2012 opponents in 2011.



One which you still have not demonstrated.

But I will spot you one. The actual 2012 results of the teams the Texans played in 2012 was 127-129 rather than the 121-135 projected from 2011 results, i.e. it was harder, and ended up at .496 instead of .473.

That was due primarily to the Colts' improvement. 2011 was easier than projected due primarily to the Colts cratering.
After pointing out your error of "The Texans were 10th in 2011" I then go and repeat the same error for SOS in 2012. Shame on me. For the record the Texans actual SOS in 2011 was .473 and .496 in 2012. Thanks for spotting me one.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013   #360
Texian
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 3,611
Rep Power: 57863 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Rick Smith's poor job of managing the cap has closed our window for the time bein

Drafting Bullock was another cap decision band aid that has backfired more than once. Draft a kicker pay him minimum and that way you don't have to pay $1+ million for a vet kicker like Rackers or Graham. Frees up $600K in cap room. OOPs!
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger