Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-28-2013   #41
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: What happened to us?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
Riiiiiiiight.

Have you ever read any other post I've made in the past five years?
Just playin runner. Smile it's ok.
Old 10-28-2013   #42
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
Just playin runner. Smile it's ok.
I can't. My jaw still hurts from where it hit the floor after reading your comment.
Old 10-28-2013   #43
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 117755 Dread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respected

We started out great, then we got to be all about strippers, booze and money. I blame Bill.
"Why attack a man for his race or religion when there are so many other PERFECTLY good reasons?" :Dreademiah 2:16 Dread-Head. Texan from DAY ONE & PROUD Honorary Blue Crew member..."Damn it Bill!"
Dread-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013   #44
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72604 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default I just found out what's wrong with the Texans

Bud and BoB were close friends.

Just heard on 26 that BoB looked up to and admired Bud.

The Texans will never win a SB as long as BoB is alive. I've got to go throw up now. (Sarcasm////)
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013   #45
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
The Texans were long overdue for getting that #2 wide receiver. I don't see anything wrong with the pick - they can only hope to fill one hole with any one pick.
I'm always a BPA supporter. I was ok with the pick as far as telnet goes. Position wise I thought and still think it was a bad choice. The WR position was deep. I felt we could go into the second or even third round and get a quality number two guy. I also felt that giving Matt Schaub another weapon was not near as important as improving the middle of our weak ass defense. Matt already had a top 4 RB with a solid backup. A top 10 or so TE. A top 5 WR.

Adding another WR no matter how good IMO wasn't going to do mutch as long as Matt was our QB. I think my thoughts have been validated considering our record and position.

Now on to the defense. Stay with me here. This defense is closer to being dominant than most believe. The 3/4, even wades version is at its best when it has a big strong DT that can push the pocket. You add that to this defense and it changes everything. All the sudden Watt isn't getting doubled and triple teamed as much. Our OLBs actually start contributing more than just setting the edge. We start getting pressure on the QB which makes our secondary look better.

I know to sounds crazy that adding a single player could make that much difference. Show me a single 3/4 defense that was considered dominate without a stud DT. I'm not jus talking about a big guy. I'm talking about a stud DT that commanded double teams. Bet cha can't.
Old 10-29-2013   #46
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 209602 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:

I know to sounds crazy that adding a single player could make that much difference. Show me a single 3/4 defense that was considered dominate without a stud DT. I'm not jus talking about a big guy. I'm talking about a stud DT that commanded double teams. Bet cha can't.
As far as your thoughts on adding a WR being validated.... not even you could have guessed Matt would have 9 Ints & just 8 TDs to this point. The only good thing about Schaub, was that he took care of the ball.

Then you say, "Even Wade's 3-4" Insomuch as a guy like Wilfork dominates regardless what front he's playing yes. You get a player like that & it doesn't matter, he's going to make it easier on everybody.

But we basically play a 4-3 with 3 down linemen. Mercilus is basically a DE that stands up & Brooks is a SAM line backer. What will really help us is a dominant 3 tech to take Antonio's place. He's not bringing it like he used to & while I used to think Jamison or Crick would step into that role, I think it's time to expand our search.
Old 10-29-2013   #47
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72604 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
As far as your thoughts on adding a WR being validated.... not even you could have guessed Matt would have 9 Ints & just 8 TDs to this point. The only good thing about Schaub, was that he took care of the ball.

Then you say, "Even Wade's 3-4" Insomuch as a guy like Wilfork dominates regardless what front he's playing yes. You get a player like that & it doesn't matter, he's going to make it easier on everybody.

But we basically play a 4-3 with 3 down linemen. Mercilus is basically a DE that stands up & Brooks is a SAM line backer. What will really help us is a dominant 3 tech to take Antonio's place. He's not bringing it like he used to & while I used to think Jamison or Crick would step into that role, I think it's time to expand our search.
C-N-D tried to tell us to expect this type of yr from Schaub. But some didn't want to listen.

A dominant NT like Nix or as Badboy suggested Carrethers, that could draw double teams, helping stop the run between the tackles. (Texans are 3rd worst at allowing runs between the tackles) This would also help free up Watt and Mercilus to rush the passer. Nix is a 3 down NT.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013   #48
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 290612 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
Your faith in Kubiak being able to make this team a true winner is what happened. This team will not ever win a SB under Kubiak, and maybe not ever under Bob Mcnair if he doesn't start holding his staff accountable. His coddling of Gary Kubiak is probably the single and most important problem this franchise still has today.
Hey, Bob was not happy last January after the team collapsed and gave up a chance for HFA.

An unhappy owner...isn't that enough?

I mean, not unhappy enough to make any significant changes, of course, but..ummm...Bob was not happy!

[/sarcasm of course]

Quote:
In a day-long meeting with his coaches last week, beginning with head coach Gary Kubiak, McNair let his feelings be known. The Texans didn't reach their goal of winning the Super Bowl. He's not happy about it, but they won't change their goal for next season.

January 2013

Source
What really cracks me up is the multi-part series McClain had at the end of the article:

Part 1: With Schaub not going anywhere, Texans must improve around him

Old 10-29-2013   #49
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 70440 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Maybe we should of gotten some help next to Watt early in the draft instead of drafting another weapon for an inept QB. It would of helped the secondary too.
Somebody like Whitney Mercilus?

The Hopkins draft pick was a perfectly reasonable draft pick and is working out nicely so far.

EDIT: There's not one single pass rusher in the next 13 picks until you get to Tank Carradine for the 9'ers and he has been injured and has yet to play in 2013 so he wouldn't have been playing for us right now anyway. There are some LB's that have been playing really well (Kiko Alonso) but even then that doesn't really help answer the pass rush question we've had for the past couple of years.
Old 10-29-2013   #50
Uncle Rico
Pro BS'er

Section: Nose Bleeds
Rep Power: 17640 Uncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
C-N-D tried to tell us to expect this type of yr from Schaub. But some didn't want to listen.

A dominant NT like Nix or as Badboy suggested Carrethers, that could draw double teams, helping stop the run between the tackles. (Texans are 3rd worst at allowing runs between the tackles) This would also help free up Watt and Mercilus to rush the passer. Nix is a 3 down NT.
Jay Ratliff? Obviously not for this year, but when healthy the guy is a load. Maybe draft best available edge rusher #1 (Clowney). Maybe can still salvage a run with the current core.
Old 10-29-2013   #51
mussop
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post

Which is why I said "even wades version of the 3/4". And I totally dissagree that another 3 tech could have the same impact that another good DT would.
Old 10-29-2013   #52
mussop
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
Somebody like Whitney Mercilus?

The Hopkins draft pick was a perfectly reasonable draft pick and is working out nicely so far.

EDIT: There's not one single pass rusher in the next 13 picks until you get to Tank Carradine for the 9'ers and he has been injured and has yet to play in 2013 so he wouldn't have been playing for us right now anyway. There are some LB's that have been playing really well (Kiko Alonso) but even then that doesn't really help answer the pass rush question we've had for the past couple of years.
My whole premis is that we need to beef up the middle of our defense. More specifically the NT or DT position. Whichever you choose to call it. You fix the middle and everyone else starts looking better. Seth Pain is the last good (not great) NT we had. This defense will not reach its potential as long as it's a weakling in the middle. You put a really good player there and it changes so much. It helps cover up the ILBs so they aren't always taking in guards. When you get a push up the middle it forces the pocket to collapse which makes you OLBs more effective. When that happens the secondary can get more aggressive and make plays.

Being weak in the middle is why we don't create turnovers and don't have a pass rush other than Watt.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read