Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: Who gets the start at QB after the buy?
Keenum 162 88.52%
Schaub 21 11.48%
Voters: 183. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-29-2013   #401
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Who gets the start at QB after the bye?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
I am going to LMAO when a UDFA outplays the #1 ovrl pick at his position from his draft class on Sunday night football in front of the entire country.
If that were to happen I'd have a woody that I'd have a hard time seeing my 53" flatscreen around!

And you know what? I don't have that much of a problem believing it could actually happen. You saw how the play calling changed and that was with minimal prep time for Case. With the added time he'll have with the 1's by Sunday night maybe this will be once that we're not nationally humiliated. Reggie Wayne won't be on the field so if we can put a lock down on TY Hilton and contain Fleener I think we can get it done.

Gary coaching for his job has renewed my enthusiasm about the remainder of the season.

Go Texans!

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013   #402
paycheck71
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 53113 paycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
If that were to happen I'd have a woody that I'd have a hard time seeing my 53" flatscreen around!

And you know what? I don't have that much of a problem believing it could actually happen. You saw how the play calling changed and that was with minimal prep time for Case. With the added time he'll have with the 1's by Sunday night maybe this will be once that we're not nationally humiliated. Reggie Wayne won't be on the field so if we can put a lock down on TY Hilton and contain Fleener I think we can get it done.

Gary coaching for his job has renewed my enthusiasm about the remainder of the season.

Go Texans!
People keep saying that the play calling changed. Is that really true? Other than playing out of the pistol formation instead of from under the center, the offense is still the same. Maybe I'm wrong, but what I thought I saw was Keenum looking for receivers deep more than Schaub and not just checking down on every play. He was able to extend a few plays with his mobility, and we know that's something Schaub can't do. Later in the game, Kubiak's hand was forced due to injuries to RB's and he had to go with empty backfield, but I don't think he's going to choose to do that if he has a healthy RB. It's not like Kubiak CALLS a 1 yd pass to RB in the flat, it's just the last option on the play, and it's up to the QB to decide where to go with the ball.
paycheck71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013   #403
drs23 
Veteran

Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Speaking of which, when Schaub was starting, some of us were saying that the defense isn't going to play all out, because they feel they're wasting their time.

If you were Jj Watt, or Antonio, wouldn't you be more upset that those two OLBs are out there with their thumbs up their rears? I would think as a defensive player, while I care about what the offense is doing, kicking three field goals isn't going to affect my attitude as much as knowing that I'm busting my butt on the field & for whatever reason Wade can't find a way to get Willie Jefferson on the field.

A little off-topic, just thinking out loud.
Uh, idunno:

Maybe 'cause he was busy "smokin' in tha boy's room"?

Just a hunch of course.

Old 10-29-2013   #404
drs23 
Veteran

Quote:
Speaking of which, when Schaub was starting, some of us were saying that the defense isn't going to play all out, because they feel they're wasting their time.

If you were Jj Watt, or Antonio, wouldn't you be more upset that those two OLBs are out there with their thumbs up their rears? I would think as a defensive player, while I care about what the offense is doing, kicking three field goals isn't going to affect my attitude as much as knowing that I'm busting my butt on the field & for whatever reason Wade can't find a way to get Willie Jefferson on the field.

Uh,

Maybe 'cause he was busy "smokin' in tha boy's room"?

Just a hunch of course.

Old 10-29-2013   #405
drs23 
Veteran

Quote:

Uh,

Maybe 'cause he was busy "smokin' in da boy's room"?

Just a hunch of course.

Old 10-29-2013   #406
bigmck
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 bigmck bigmck bigmck bigmck bigmck bigmck bigmck bigmck bigmck bigmck bigmck

Quote:
Originally Posted by paycheck71 View Post
People keep saying that the play calling changed. Is that really true? Other than playing out of the pistol formation instead of from under the center, the offense is still the same. Maybe I'm wrong, but what I thought I saw was Keenum looking for receivers deep more than Schaub and not just checking down on every play. He was able to extend a few plays with his mobility, and we know that's something Schaub can't do. Later in the game, Kubiak's hand was forced due to injuries to RB's and he had to go with empty backfield, but I don't think he's going to choose to do that if he has a healthy RB. It's not like Kubiak CALLS a 1 yd pass to RB in the flat, it's just the last option on the play, and it's up to the QB to decide where to go with the ball.
The different plays was the first thing I noticed in the game. I don't ever recall Schaub being in the pistol with no backs for blocking. Schaub never had as many long passes as Case did. It just seemed like a different game plan. Like you say, Kubiak doesn't call one yard passes, it is just Schaub that ends up doing it. Maybe the pass plays two yards short of a first down will stop also. == Kubiak said it is a week by week decision on who starts at QB, but I just can't see Schaub starting again. Can you imagine the crowd boos if he did. I have a shirt with Schaub on the back. I have been behind the guy, but I can't do it anymore. Time to burn the shirt.
bigmck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013   #407
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

I like how case tries to get the defense to tip their hand by setting up like he's about to hike the ball, then re-setting.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013   #408
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30026 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisco_County View Post
Adam Schefter's opinion is that Schaub is done in Houston either way. He's not exactly going out on a limb there, but I'm wondering how informed his opinion is since he's ESPN's "insider" guy.

Here's a link to Ganguli's article with the Schefter video embedded.
I listen to pat kirwan alot especially when he talks contracts. Last week he said schaub had a 10m paragraph 5 and a 1m per game. This contract was written to give the texans an out. Paragraph 5 in contracts are salaries which are non guaranteed. The texans could cyt schaub and not hurt their cap. So if scheffter says schaub is done, hes basically looking at the contract and limking everything up.
Old 10-29-2013   #409
Exascor
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35348 Exascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigeztx View Post
I listen to pat kirwan alot especially when he talks contracts. Last week he said schaub had a 10m paragraph 5 and a 1m per game. This contract was written to give the texans an out. Paragraph 5 in contracts are salaries which are non guaranteed. The texans could cyt schaub and not hurt their cap. So if scheffter says schaub is done, hes basically looking at the contract and limking everything up.
Just to clarify - the Texans couldn't cut Schaub (or trade him) this year without absorbing his remaining signing bonus. There's not enough cap room to absorb that without restructuring 2-3 contacts.
Old 10-29-2013   #410
ThaJokaa
True Texans Fan

Rep Power: 9013 ThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exascor View Post
Just to clarify - the Texans couldn't cut Schaub (or trade him) this year without absorbing his remaining signing bonus. There's not enough cap room to absorb that without restructuring 2-3 contacts.
The cap hit would be 4mill
ThaJokaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013   #411
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30026 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmck View Post
The different plays was the first thing I noticed in the game. I don't ever recall Schaub being in the pistol with no backs for blocking. Schaub never had as many long passes as Case did. It just seemed like a different game plan. Like you say, Kubiak doesn't call one yard passes, it is just Schaub that ends up doing it. Maybe the pass plays two yards short of a first down will stop also. == Kubiak said it is a week by week decision on who starts at QB, but I just can't see Schaub starting again. Can you imagine the crowd boos if he did. I have a shirt with Schaub on the back. I have been behind the guy, but I can't do it anymore. Time to burn the shirt.
None of the routes changed between case and matt. The formations changed because case is more mobile and the pistol was done to make case comfort level acceptable. However,the routes were exactly the same. Thtas why I informed people think players,not plays. Kubiak,despite how people want to view, wasnt at fault for schaub dropping his eyes to yhe ch3dkdown so often. Many times when a qb feels pressure thats jot there, young or old, tend to do this. There is a fine line between getting it out quick and letting the play develop. When you see qbs in this age of passing getting less than 7ypa, theyre not allowing routes to develop. What case was doing well is he was reading from andre to deandre to the te. Schaub was reading from andre straight to te or rb. This wouldnt be a problem if the te was graham,cameron,gronk,gates, or someone of that ilk,but daniels nor garrett are close in that class. I will say this alot, until you can get a qb who can threaten every blade of grass, then you gotta keep looking for one either via draft or free agency
Old 10-29-2013   #412
Exascor
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35348 Exascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaJokaa View Post
The cap hit would be 4mill
This year would be more like 7. His bonus is 3.5 per year for 3 more years. That's 10.5 - 3.6 (50% 2013 salary) = 6.9.
Old 10-29-2013   #413
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Quote:
They didnt stretch his bonus money. They paid it in workout, game,and on roster bonus for the 1st 3yr. In another thread, a poster talked about how smith scrwwed up the cap which is not really accurate. Just look at schaubs contract. I didht want schaub back ahy more than the next man, but they got him with 27m in bonus money which is half of what romo,ryan,rodgers,and flacco got. All hating aside, do you view romo,ryan,and flacco twice as good as schaub? I dont
Old 10-29-2013   #414
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Quote:
This year would be more like 7. His bonus is 3.5 per year for 3 more years. That's 10.5 - 3.6 (50% 2013 salary) = 6.9.
http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/b...11&src=desktop
Old 10-29-2013   #415
Exascor
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Confirms my point. You still have to absorb the signing bonus. He had no salary guaranteed but the signing bonus was prorated and 10.5 is owed after this season.
Old 10-29-2013   #416
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 86297 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
None of the routes changed between case and matt. The formations changed because case is more mobile and the pistol was done to make case comfort level acceptable. However,the routes were exactly the same. Thtas why I informed people think players,not plays. Kubiak,despite how people want to view, wasnt at fault for schaub dropping his eyes to yhe ch3dkdown so often. Many times when a qb feels pressure thats jot there, young or old, tend to do this. There is a fine line between getting it out quick and letting the play develop. When you see qbs in this age of passing getting less than 7ypa, theyre not allowing routes to develop. What case was doing well is he was reading from andre to deandre to the te. Schaub was reading from andre straight to te or rb. This wouldnt be a problem if the te was graham,cameron,gronk,gates, or someone of that ilk,but daniels nor garrett are close in that class. I will say this alot, until you can get a qb who can threaten every blade of grass, then you gotta keep looking for one either via draft or free agency

I have struggled to understand how/why are play-action passing game has not produced deep passing opportunities as it always has since Kubiak has been here. When I went back and looked at the games, including games when we were running the ball well (1st half vs. StLouis, for instance)... The safeties just dropped deep unless it was a blitz and bit on nothing... What appeared open, looking at the coaching tape, were seems and deep-ins at about 20 yards. I think Schaub has lossed a little bit of zip on the ball since the foot injury, and he simply could not afford any diminishing of his arm, which combined with longer release was already marginal by NFL standards. Now, teams dare him to fit the ball downfield- below the safeties... and it he can't consistently do that.

I'm not sure, based on one game's eyeball test, whether Keenum's arm is stronger (I think it is at this point). I do know his release is quicker, which means the defense has less reaction time. Also, his added mobility create situations for big plays in the passing game as well. I think that is why we saw the passing game look different. He hit receivers at different points in their routes, etc... The Posey 40 yard play was an example of Keenum's quicker delivery, for instance.

I have no idea whether Keenum is the answer. Heck, I thought Schaub looked good this year, other than a few horrible plays. It wasn't until I saw Keenum playing that I recognized the extent of Schaub's limitations. But, I am excited to see what he does and how the offense looks with some athleticism back there. Even if he is not the long term answer, his presence and abilities will reveal a lot more about the offensive talent, playmaking ability of the receivers, and how the talent can excel (or not), in the Kubiak/Dennison version of the West Coast offense. I'm looking forward to the reappearance of the bootleg as a weapon instead as a moment of dread.
Old 10-29-2013   #417
paycheck71
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 53113 paycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Confirms my point. You still have to absorb the signing bonus. He had no salary guaranteed but the signing bonus was prorated and 10.5 is owed after this season.
You are correct on this, but I think it's important to point out that cutting Schaub after the season, even with the $10.5MM dead money cap hit, would still save the Texans $4MM in cap space. They can also designate him a June 1 cut and create even more cap space next year, but that means they'd still carry some of his dead money in 2015.
paycheck71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013   #418
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 86297 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The Texans will save a net of $4 million if they cut him before 2014 season. His cap number is scheduled to be roughly $14 million next year. If he's cut, the bonus gets prorated and the cap hit will be $10.5 million... then, the Texans will be clear of the contract. So, it is a very manageable situation. The only thing his contract prevents heading into 2014, would be the Texans bidding on an elite, free agent QB, which I would not expect anyway.
Old 10-29-2013   #419
Exascor
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by paycheck71 View Post
You are correct on this, but I think it's important to point out that cutting Schaub after the season, even with the $10.5MM dead money cap hit, would still save the Texans $4MM in cap space. They can also designate him a June 1 cut and create even more cap space next year, but that means they'd still carry some of his dead money in 2015.
Yeah I'm hoping they absorb it all next year.
Old 10-29-2013   #420
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Maybe ur having trouble understanding contracts. They will owe him 0 because the rest of his money is salary. They already paid his bonus money and didn't stretch it. Thbey paid it upfront vs pro rating it. That tells me they had doubts about schaub all along. They cut him at the end of this season,they will have the same count against the cap than it is if they cut us.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read