Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: Who gets the start at QB after the buy?
Keenum 162 88.52%
Schaub 21 11.48%
Voters: 183. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-28-2013   #381
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 244045 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: Who gets the start at QB after the bye?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
why is kubiak being so dishonest about schaub's physical condition?

that dude palmer who does texans reporting for csn said that schaub personally told him that he has torn ankle ligaments.
Because Matt doesn't want to be inactive. If Case goes down, he wants the opportunity to win his job back. It doesn't make sense to me. Surely with a bum ankle, his game will suffer more. But the man is fighting for his job.

Kubiak is watching him in practice & if he knows what's best for him, he'll sit Matt out of the game if he's struggling to move around. It does no good from Matt's perspective to try to win his job on a bad ankle.
Old 10-28-2013   #382
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 203027 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
If Yates is in uniform, I'm going to be skeptical about Schaub being healthy.

I've had torn ligaments in my ankle and I was out for a while. I don't know the severity of matts situation, but I don't see him having torn ligaments and being able to play football.

I think they are either saying Matt is healthy so they can get rid of him, or kubiak is doing Matt a favor so when he has to find a new team they aren't skeptical about his injuries...and maybe a little bit mixed in with him seemingly making a tough decision (even though it shouldn't be tough).

Don't know if any of that makes sense, but I think it's strange that it's reported he has torn ligs while texans and Matt are saying he's healthy.
Suuuuuure........It'll already be 2 whole weeks........Schaub's ankle and Lisfranc foot ligaments are healed as good as new and he's ready to go Sunday if........

CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013   #383
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84495 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Keenum was not getting help from his OL. Some interesting observations in general re. the Chiefs game. [Read from bottom to top]
After reading this about Poe and what he does for Hali/Houston/Johnson it makes me want the next regime to pick Nix in the 1st rd even more.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013   #384
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 108211 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
After reading this about Poe and what he does for Hali/Houston/Johnson it makes me want the next regime to pick Nix in the 1st rd even more.
i'm not sure poe is the impact that you're implying. sure he's a good player that's playing really well, but those guys are studs on their own. we dont have olb's anything near hali and houston regardless of who we sign around them. heck we already have the D-MVP and a probowler inside and cant get an edge rush.

edit: dont get me wrong, i absolutely love having a two ton DT in the middle to push the pile. i'd sign poe in a heartbeat or nix if he's the beast some are talking about. i just dont think adding a mountain in the middle is going to affect the lack of talent we currently have at linebacker.
Old 10-28-2013   #385
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 57395 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
why is kubiak being so dishonest about schaub's physical condition?

that dude palmer who does texans reporting for csn said that schaub personally told him that he has torn ankle ligaments.
"torn ankle ligaments"- otherwise known as a sprained ankle. Sprains are "tearing" of ligaments. Unlike knees, however, surgery is generally not done... The ankle "heals" over time. Though, anyone who has had severe sprains know that, though the injury is relatively quick to recover from (two to four weeks, generally), your ankle is never the same and the ligaments are loose and suseptible to further sprains and somewhat chronic. If his ankle is the primary physical issue, I'm sure Schaub would be able to play in a week or two. That being said, he can't exactly afford to lose any mobility.

Regarding your quesion: "why is Kubiak being so dishonest about Schaub's physical condition"
_ I just want to say welcome to Texans fandom. I am glad that you very recently decided to follow the Houston Texans.
Old 10-28-2013   #386
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 203027 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Head Coach Gary Kubiak

(opening statement) “The guys that did not practice today were Arian (Foster), Ben Tate and Wade Smith. Other than that, everybody was back to work. Obviously, (Brian) Cushing (is on injured reserve).”

(on the quarterback situation) “Case (Keenum) will start this week. Actually, I talked to Case and Matt (Schaub), I think, Tuesday before I gave them their break and talked to the team this morning. But Case will start and hopefully we’ll grow from last week. I thought he did some really good things. I thought we played some clean football and we’re going to have to do that here down the road to improve. That’s the way we started working today.”

(on if QB Case Keenum is the starting quarterback for the rest of the season) “No, there’s no decisions made for this season. We’ll keep going. It’s the decision I made for this week. Matt (Schaub) will back up Case. Matt’s back to work today, first time on the practice field really doing any football stuff since his injury. We’ll get him prepared to play.”

(on if starting QB Case Keenum is based on QB Matt Schaub’s health) “No, Matt’s fine. Matt’s fine and it’s just the decision I made based on what I saw take place last week with Case and him taking advantage of an opportunity and I want to see him move forward. He’s got to improve. He’s definitely got to go and improve. With this football team we’re playing, our football team’s got to improve around him. Like I said, a decision for this week.”

(on how worried he is about the running back situation) “On a scale of what? One to? The highest number, whatever that is. I’m very concerned. We understand Ben (Tate’s) situation. I think they’re both going to give us everything they can to try and play this week. I don’t think we’re going to know anything until later in the week, which is probably a good thing. I know it’s a good thing we had the bye. Neither did anything today. I shouldn’t say neither. Arian (Foster) actually went over there and moved around today with the trainers. What we have to do is we have to prepare these three young guys to play. We’ve got to get Ray (Graham), Deji (Karim) and DJ (Dennis Johnson) ready to play. Ray’s had some good practice. You can tell DJ’s been working and been on a team, just because of the way he came back and worked. We’ll see, but we’ve got to get those guys ready to play.”

(on how QB Matt Schaub was when he found out QB Case Keenum would be starting this week) “Obviously, disappointed, which I wouldn’t expect anything else. We talked for a long time. He’s a competitor. He wants to be the guy in there. I understand that. I know it’s very difficult on him. It’s very difficult on me too to be honest with you. But I’ve got to make decisions that are best for the football team right now. We talked through it. We move forward. His attitude’s good. He’s back to work today trying to get himself ready to play.”

(on if the quarterback decision was one of the toughest he’s had to make as a head coach) “I’ve had a lot of tough decisions in my football life. That’s part of the deal. That’s part of my job. We’ve been struggling as a team and battling to get back on the right side. I thought we went out and played better football. That’s why we had an excellent chance to win last week in Kansas City. We didn’t close the deal or make the play to close the deal, but I thought we played cleaner. We played some good football, so I want to see us grow from that. That’s why I made my decision.”link

Can we load anymore stress on Keenum than making it sound like Kubiak will be breathing down Keenum's neck at every turn? Give the man a break for a while...........and pray that Schaub has no need to come in limpin' and Schaubin' again.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013   #387
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 244045 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Head Coach Gary Kubiak

Quote:
(on the quarterback situation) “Case (Keenum) will start this week. Actually, I talked to Case and Matt (Schaub), I think, Tuesday before I gave them their break and talked to the team this morning.”
It's interesting he told Matt & Case on Tuesday.

I was pretty sure he had made up his mind when he was gloating about Case on Monday's presser. & he looked like a totally different guy calling plays.... like he was having fun again.

Quote:
Can we load anymore stress on Keenum than making it sound like Kubiak will be breathing down Keenum's neck at every turn? Give the man a break for a while...........and pray that Schaub has no need to come in limpin' and Schaubin' again.
I think differently. Put him in a pressure cooker. I honestly think we're going to experience a magical 2nd half of the season & we're going to make the play-offs. If Keenum can handle the pressure of a guy "breathing down his neck" now, then the play-offs won't be something he'll have to adjust to.
Old 10-28-2013   #388
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 108211 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I think differently. Put him in a pressure cooker. I honestly think we're going to experience a magical 2nd half of the season & we're going to make the play-offs. If Keenum can handle the pressure of a guy "breathing down his neck" now, then the play-offs won't be something he'll have to adjust to.
i disagree to an extent. it usually brings out more in a competitor to be the chaser, than it does the chased. i think this is an issue that yates is having. yates's big plus when he came in as a rookie was his poise, he looked calm and able to play the position ... that really eroded fast as keenum closed in. yates seemed to start pressing, trying to do more and ultimately hurt himself. i'd rather see kubiak focus on what's infront of keenum than the player behind him. keep the goal in sight.
Old 10-28-2013   #389
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I think that's a good point.

I want a guy who plays well despite whatever pressure he's under. If keenum wants to be the man, I don't want to hear about not performing well because of pressure.

No more excuses for anyone. Let's get it done.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013   #390
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29411 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
i'm not sure poe is the impact that you're implying. sure he's a good player that's playing really well, but those guys are studs on their own. we dont have olb's anything near hali and houston regardless of who we sign around them. heck we already have the D-MVP and a probowler inside and cant get an edge rush.

edit: dont get me wrong, i absolutely love having a two ton DT in the middle to push the pile. i'd sign poe in a heartbeat or nix if he's the beast some are talking about. i just dont think adding a mountain in the middle is going to affect the lack of talent we currently have at linebacker.

Without the derailing of the thread,I will try to connect the dots for you. When you have a jamaal williams,ted washington,casey hampton,and even the recently mentioned poe playing nose,it limits pocket movememnt of the qb. Notice I didn't say scramble,I said pocket movement. To be clear,the really good qbs climb in the poecket. They find little alley to avoid the rush. When you have a big 0 technique,he keeps the qb in the line of sight of the olb or de and keeps them in the phone booth. Most qb get uncomfortable when the big guy is controlling the middle and killing space. Notice how pittsburgh can't get to the qb since the demise of casey hampton?

If the texans had a 0 technique,when the olb come off the edge,the qb would have very limited space to move inside the pocket. Since the texans have mitchell who is more 3 tech who gets washed down a lot,the olbs have to work much harder to get a sack cuz th qb can just climb in the pocket. Its also dominoes to a lot of other aspects of the defense. Since they are small,wade has resorted to run blitzing. This is cool when u guess right,but just like in dallas as eveidence by some of the long,gashing inside runs,guards get on ilbs and its a long run play. When you have that stout 0 taking up 2 guys,and watt taking 2guys,what's left? That's why when john jenkins was sitting there in the 3rd,I thought the texans should draft him. He is the main reason why the woeful saints defense from last year are playing at least solid in the 3-4. Poe's pro bowl caliber play is the main reason why hali and houston got those 2 way go's against tackles. They play man on the back end and poe,jackson,and devito tie up 5.5 blockers and these dudes are one on one with a 2 way go.
Old 10-28-2013   #391
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 63514 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

Adam Schefter's opinion is that Schaub is done in Houston either way. He's not exactly going out on a limb there, but I'm wondering how informed his opinion is since he's ESPN's "insider" guy.

Here's a link to Ganguli's article with the Schefter video embedded.
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013   #392
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 41207 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisco_County View Post
Adam Schefter's opinion is that Schaub is done in Houston either way. He's not exactly going out on a limb there, but I'm wondering how informed his opinion is since he's ESPN's "insider" guy.

Here's a link to Ganguli's article with the Schefter video embedded.
Fairy tale? Yeah, I would say if he became the next Tom Brady or Drew Brees and led his hometown team to a Super Bowl win than it would be a fairy tale. A fairy tale I can easily get behind.
JCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013   #393
Scooter
Funky

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigeztx View Post
Without the derailing of the thread,I will try to connect the dots for you.
i completely understand. what i'm saying is that it doesnt matter with the lack of talent we have at OLB. watt and ninja already do a good job of getting into the qb's face and yet our OLB's accomplish nothing. a mountain would help our DE's (especially watt), but not the OLB's because they cant get around a tackle 1v1 as it is. simply, i dont think our linebackers would get to the quarterback if he stood still for 4 seconds with his eyes closed.
Old 10-29-2013   #394
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
i completely understand. what i'm saying is that it doesnt matter with the lack of talent we have at OLB. watt and ninja already do a good job of getting into the qb's face and yet our OLB's accomplish nothing.
Speaking of which, when Schaub was starting, some of us were saying that the defense isn't going to play all out, because they feel they're wasting their time.

If you were Jj Watt, or Antonio, wouldn't you be more upset that those two OLBs are out there with their thumbs up their rears? I would think as a defensive player, while I care about what the offense is doing, kicking three field goals isn't going to affect my attitude as much as knowing that I'm busting my butt on the field & for whatever reason Wade can't find a way to get Willie Jefferson on the field.

A little off-topic, just thinking out loud.
Old 10-29-2013   #395
MEGA SWATT
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 20085 MEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
I am going to LMAO when a UDFA outplays the #1 ovrl pick at his position from his draft class on Sunday night football in front of the entire country.
Msr

case
Old 10-29-2013   #396
Vance87
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 90799 Vance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I am going to LMAO when a UDFA outplays the #1 ovrl pick at his position from his draft class on Sunday night football in front of the entire country.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEGA SWATT View Post
Msr

case
Let's just say if that happens I'd have to change my shorts.
Old 10-29-2013   #397
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vance87 View Post
Let's just say if that happens I'd have to change my shorts.
Let's just say... you better have an extra pair handy.
Old 10-29-2013   #398
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 60283 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

Let's just say I'd still rather have Andrew Luck regardless.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013   #399
Vance87
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 90799 Vance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix31 View Post
Let's just say I'd still rather have Andrew Luck regardless.
And I'd rather be living in Europe dating a bunch of supermodels, but that ain't gonna happen.
Old 10-29-2013   #400
TejasTom
Heisenwatt

Section: Brazos Suite
Rep Power: 54152 TejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
From keyboard to God's eyes.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read