Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-28-2013   #1
IlliniJen
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 152954 IlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Is Marciano still around? Accountability!

Marciano is still the special teams coach. Huh.

He puts the capital "S" in "special." I guess you can release 3 players for violating "team rules" and get that whole "well, we showed 'em!" out of your system when it comes to holding people accountable.

Anyone else think that keeping Marciano is indicative of McNair's inability to pull the trigger until it's 2-3 years too late? Anyone think that keeping Marciano around just means in the bigger picture that Kubiak is coming back next year? After all, McNair can justify his decision by vaguely citing "injuries to key players."

Even if it's a "dumb" decision to get rid of a coach halfway during a season, even if the coach is the most useless bag of football flesh this side of Blaine Gabbert, it's one of those messages that should be sent. Cutting non-suited up players just isn't impactful.

More of that highly successful "playing not to lose" mentality that seems to be spread to every corner of this franchise. I hope we can get that stench out of the curtains when Kubiak is finally gone in 5-10 years.

"Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I get to kill something." - Ron Swanson
IlliniJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013   #2
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 127050 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Is Marciano still around? Accountability!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniJen View Post
Marciano is still the special teams coach. Huh.

He puts the capital "S" in "special." I guess you can release 3 players for violating "team rules" and get that whole "well, we showed 'em!" out of your system when it comes to holding people accountable.

Anyone else think that keeping Marciano is indicative of McNair's inability to pull the trigger until it's 2-3 years too late? Anyone think that keeping Marciano around just means in the bigger picture that Kubiak is coming back next year? After all, McNair can justify his decision by vaguely citing "injuries to key players."

Even if it's a "dumb" decision to get rid of a coach halfway during a season, even if the coach is the most useless bag of football flesh this side of Blaine Gabbert, it's one of those messages that should be sent. Cutting non-suited up players just isn't impactful.

More of that highly successful "playing not to lose" mentality that seems to be spread to every corner of this franchise. I hope we can get that stench out of the curtains when Kubiak is finally gone in 5-10 years.
You need to go fishing, Jen
Old 10-28-2013   #3
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Richard Smith was a dumpster fire at DC. Stayed too long. Frank Bush was maybe the worst DC in NFL history, stayed WAY too long. Marciano was average at first but now is on a whole new level of ****ty, still here. He'll be the space goat in the off season as a way to justify bringing Gary back. Unless Gary bottoms out this year and next, no way we ever fire him. It's a very sad time right now.
Old 10-28-2013   #4
TheIronDuke
In BOB I Trust

Rep Power: 87002 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected

Maybe Marciano just needs another ST assistant coach to really get his unit to the next level.
TheIronDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013   #5
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 240894 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Even when at least one of the players released was a special teams player.
Old 10-28-2013   #6
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 118533 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Through WK 7 -

#6 in KR avg. allowed
#4 in PR avg. allowed

One of only 5 teams to give up a PR TD.

VS.

#10 in KR avg FOR

#29 in PR avg FOR

Of course, that doesn't account for our KR giving up a TD to the other guys.

No excuse for not canning Marciano LAST year. Sure, he's a nice guy, but that doesn't win games (and least not for Houston teams).
Old 10-28-2013   #7
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 240492 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

From where we are it looks like the Texans have ample reasons to part ways with Marciano. The fact that he's still here points to the possibility that we don't know the full story.

I'm as dumbfounded as the rest of you, but continually calling for Marciano's head doesn't really do anything. If Kubiak were to fire Marciano now, or in the offseason, would that make anyone change their opinion of Kubiak? Would anyone be looking forward to 5 more years of Kubiak because he's gone?

I doubt it. If Marciano is one of those things that will eventually add up to Kubiak's firing & you want Kubiak gone, keeping him around is a good thing. Imagine what would have happened if Kubiak refused to fire Frank Bush & hire Wade?
Old 10-28-2013   #8
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 317168 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Three players were cut because they violated team rules.

Apparently, trotting out a crappy unit year after year is not against team rules. Interesting.
Old 10-28-2013   #9
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 240492 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
can somebody tell me if there's any truth to Marciano having some kind of personal non football business relationship with mcnair?

Ive read it a lot in comments sections in the chronicle and ive heard it mentioned several times by the 790 guys.

If its true, it can explain why Marciano despite his horrible tenure as coach, is basically bullet proof.
If it were true he'd have been promoted to a less harmful position, VP of parking lot attendance or something.
Old 10-28-2013   #10
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't understand how a special teams unit is so bad for multiple years. Doesn't make a lot of sense.

There isn't a ton of scheming going on. It's fairly repetitive stuff. Special teams isn't like offense or defense where you have to learn plays and study what your opponent does for hours.

It's mostly about discipline, ability and effort. It's not like the opposing special teams are fooling them.

There is a problem in the link somewhere. Marciano's special teams haven't been this bad. Honestly, I would pin this on the head coach and the team overall. Bad teams tend to have problems everywhere. Or else they wouldn't be that bad.

Marciano knows special teams. He has a special teams assistant that I'm pretty sure knows special teams. I can't imagine that he's not telling these guys the right things to do.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013   #11
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
There is a problem in the link somewhere. Marciano's special teams haven't been this bad. Honestly, I would pin this on the head coach and the team overall. Bad teams tend to have problems everywhere. Or else they wouldn't be that bad.

Marciano knows special teams. He has a special teams assistant that I'm pretty sure knows special teams. I can't imagine that he's not telling these guys the right things to do.
I was thinking the same thing. Maybe there's a "second class citizen" thing going on with Special Teams, where those guys aren't "looking" for an opportunity to do something.... so you have three special teams player not giving a damn about losing that opportunity.

Just a theory.
Old 10-28-2013   #12
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 100543 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Marciano hasn't adjusted since the NFL changed the rules
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013   #13
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
Marciano hasn't adjusted since the NFL changed the rules
In what way?
Old 10-28-2013   #14
TheIronDuke
In BOB I Trust

Rep Power: 87002 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
In what way?
I'm assuming he's talking about the wedge rule.
TheIronDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013   #15
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronDuke View Post
I'm assuming he's talking about the wedge rule.
I know some of the rules have changed, but I want to know in what way has he failed to adjust to them.
Old 10-28-2013   #16
Lucky

Rep Power: 153310 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBull17 View Post
He'll be the space goat in the off season .
I can see Coach Joe as the Space Goat.

Old 10-28-2013   #17
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 100543 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Yeah seems like after the wedge rule. Things really went down hill.

Just my perception. I migjt be wrong based on stats though
Old 10-28-2013   #18
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Yeah seems like after the wedge rule. Things really went down hill.

Just my perception. I migjt be wrong based on stats though
Was just asking because I wanted to know if there was anything specific you saw.
Old 10-28-2013   #19
Wolf
100% Texan

Just seems a lot more undiscipline and we fell to bottom of NFL in prduction. And since moving the kickoff up. I wish we would just kneel the dang thing
Old 10-28-2013   #20
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Just seems a lot more undiscipline and we fell to bottom of NFL in prduction. And since moving the kickoff up. I wish we would just kneel the dang thing
Yeah, you are right about that.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read