Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 10-16-2013   #61
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 22354 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 2014 Draft Eligible QB's

My 2 Cents:

This time last year it was going to be a bonanza year for QBs in the 2013 draft, Smith, Barkley, Boyd, Mccarron, Murray....and we see how that turned out

Bridgewater did not look like a Top 10 pick vs Rutgers. Displayed a Landry Jones arm aka needs extra air underneath for long outs and deep pass, aka, he floats the ball. 2 RZ turnovers. Needs to stay in school.

Only 2 QBs have displayed consistent ability to come from behind and engineer game winning drives, Boyd & Manziel.

Conventional Wisdom is college QBs need 30 starts in college for any chance for early success in the NFL. That's why so many decide to stay in school and so few leave early. Bridgewater, Manziel, Mariota and Hundley better served by staying in school.

Conventional Wisdom is judge rookie QBs in the NFL only after their 19th start. That is enough time and experience to know and have a good idea of what you have in your QB. Geno Smith has 5 starts w/ 14 to go, looks promising.

IMHO if the draft were today, SR QBs #1 Boyd, #2 Mettenberger #3 McCarron #4 Murray
Texian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013   #62
PHILLYTEXANFAN
Veteran

Rep Power: 2436 PHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Anybody got thoughts on Stephen Morris???
PHILLYTEXANFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013   #63
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 65204 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHILLYTEXANFAN View Post
Anybody got thoughts on Stephen Morris???
I talked about him in another thread a while back. He has a great arm and good mobility, but he makes horrible decisions. As was proved tonight if you watched the Miami/North Carolina game. Don't really like him as a prospect because he just doesn't look like he gets the mental part of the game.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013   #64
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56437 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
That's kind of how i feel about McCarron too. I originally thought fairly high of him b/c the physical tools are there, the mechanics are great, the competition he has faced is great. The big issue i have with him is i haven't seen enough of him with the pressure squarely on him to see how he handles it to really go all the way in for him. Saban does a good job of keeping him out of that role running the ball with that stable of RB's he seems to have every damn year.

I'm starting to back off on Boyd too. seems a little careless with the ball at times..someone mentioned he puts alot of air under his deep balls...kinda agree with that as well. All that can be fixed though. I'll be really tuned in this weekend to see how he handles FSU.

I originally felt the same way about Metenberger although i'm starting to feel he might be the safest pick. Don't really care if can't run like Luck or RG3...just move around in the pocket well and keep your eyes downfield..he's seems to be decent at that.
This is kinda how I view this QB class. Except I'm higher on McCarron than you are. I see McCarron as a Matt Ryan type prospect.

No Johnny Football? LOL
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013   #65
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23128 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

Best case for houston is giants,steelers,and washington wind up top 10. That would give the texans a chance to move from 15ish to 6 ish.
Old 10-18-2013   #66
NCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 39211 NCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Want nothing to do with Miami's QB Morris. He was beyond awful last night against UNC. Their run game and defense is why they won. He missed open throws constantly.
NCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013   #67
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 63790 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
This is kinda how I view this QB class. Except I'm higher on McCarron than you are. I see McCarron as a Matt Ryan type prospect.

No Johnny Football? LOL
Lol, you know i can't talk about that guy too much on here...the brigade comes out in full force...
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013   #68
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 58383 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigeztx View Post
Best case for houston is giants,steelers,and washington wind up top 10. That would give the texans a chance to move from 15ish to 6 ish.
How is that? I am sure the top 5 would be willing to trade out of their spot with another team if the right price was given.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013   #69
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 54460 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Yeah, not impressed with Hundley. He's a runner and is pretty primitive in his passing ability right now. No way I take him in the first round this year. Stares down receivers hard, doesn't throw the ball downfield with a lot of accuracy when I have seen him play, doesn't make great decisions. He's a heck of a scrambler though and gets down when he needs to.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013   #70
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23128 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
Yeah, not impressed with Hundley. He's a runner and is pretty primitive in his passing ability right now. No way I take him in the first round this year. Stares down receivers hard, doesn't throw the ball downfield with a lot of accuracy when I have seen him play, doesn't make great decisions. He's a heck of a scrambler though and gets down when he needs to.
He's a beter passer than you give him credit for. When trying to judge on whether you should draft a qb or not,you have to look at upside. You have to ask yourself how good can he be with our coaching staff? If you think the guy can be a franchise qb,but he needs a yr,then you still draft him. You have measure your chances of drafting the high level talent at the most importat position.
Old 10-27-2013   #71
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 54460 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
He's a beter passer than you give him credit for. When trying to judge on whether you should draft a qb or not,you have to look at upside. You have to ask yourself how good can he be with our coaching staff? If you think the guy can be a franchise qb,but he needs a yr,then you still draft him. You have measure your chances of drafting the high level talent at the most importat position.
I think the jury is still out on whether or not he can be a franchise quarterback. Franchise quarterbacks need to show more diverse and advanced passing ability than we are seeing from him this year, or atleast than I am seeing. I think he stays another year under Mora. That would be best for his NFL career.

Against Stanford, he was 24/39 193 yards, 1 TD, 2 INTs.

Against Oregon, he was 13/19 64 yards, 1 TD 2 INTs.

Last season in two games against Stanford he was 43/69 438 yards, 1 TD 2 INTs.

A first round quarterback needs to be better against top level competition, simply put.

Last edited by TexansSeminole; 10-27-2013 at 03:17 AM.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013   #72
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
If you think the guy can be a franchise qb,but he needs a yr,then you still draft him.
So, what kind of things are you looking for?

&, TexansSeminole didn't say he wouldn't draft him, just said he wouldn't draft him in the first.
Old 10-28-2013   #73
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
I think the jury is still out on whether or not he can be a franchise quarterback. Franchise quarterbacks need to show more diverse and advanced passing ability than we are seeing from him this year, or atleast than I am seeing. I think he stays another year under Mora. That would be best for his NFL career.

Against Stanford, he was 24/39 193 yards, 1 TD, 2 INTs.

Against Oregon, he was 13/19 64 yards, 1 TD 2 INTs.

Last season in two games against Stanford he was 43/69 438 yards, 1 TD 2 INTs.

A first round quarterback needs to be better against top level competition, simply put.
I agree. He probably needs to stay another year and sharpen up. I'm saying that if you think the guy has all the tools needed to be successful but he needs a year,you still have to draft the guy if you're in position. Mcnair nor Kapernick were ready as rookies,but they're potential was sky high.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read