Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 10-22-2013   #1
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 48657 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Texian's Mid Season Mock Draft

Currently Texans projected to pick in the #7-#12 Vicinity.

At the end of the 2013 season Bob McNair fires Kubiak and Smith.

Hires Eric Decosta as GM who hires HC.

Mid Season Mock

Rd 1. C. J. Mosley, OLB, Alabama, 6021, 232 (up grades OLB, Reed moves to ILB)
Rd 2. Trent Murphy, DE, Stanford, 6055, 261 (replaces Ninja)
Rd 3. A. J. McCarron, QB, Alabama, 6032, 214 (replaces Schaub)
Rd 4. JaWuan James, OT, Tennessee, 6056, 318 (replaces Newton)
Rd 5. Marcus Williams CB, N. Dakota St., 5110, 197 (upgrades secondary)
Rd 6. Storm Johnson, RB, Cent. Florida, 6001, 218 (replaces Tate)
Rd 7. Trey Hopkins, OG, Texas, 6034, 302 (replaces Smith)

Conventional Wisdom is a rookie QB needs 20 starts in the NFL before you truly know what you have. 2014 gives Texans and Keenum his 20 starts. Schaub is released for cap reasons. McCarron is brought in as a backup and also a chance to be a starter. If all fails Texans go all in for a Franchise QB in 2015. At this time I do expect most underclassman QB to return to school. I expect only 1 or 2 to come out. If that happens 2015 will be a better year for QBs than 2014.

Texans have lost there pass rush, this is improved with Mosley and Murphy. Replaces Ninja who becomes a FA and cap casualty and upgrades OLB.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013   #2
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 48657 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texian's Mid Season Mock Draft

I have to revise my mid season mock. Last night Trent Murphy had a JJ Watt kind of game. Not only will Murphy be a 1st rd pick he could also now become a top 10 pick. For the time being I will switch Murphy and Mosley.

Rd 1. Trent Murphy, DE, Stanford, 6055, 261 (replaces Ninja)
Rd 2. C. J. Mosley, OLB, Alabama, 6021, 232 (up grades OLB, Reed moves to ILB)
Old 10-27-2013   #3
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 144668 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Murphy better put on at least 25 lbs to play a 5 . As far as Mosley and McCarron go , Bama high picks aren't panning out so well . Unless of course they go to 4-3 , then Murphy may play opposite of JJ .

http://www.rolltide.com/sports/m-foo...090313aab.html
Old 10-27-2013   #4
Texian
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
Murphy better put on at least 25 lbs to play a 5 . As far as Mosley and McCarron go , Bama high picks aren't panning out so well . Unless of course they go to 4-3 , then Murphy may play opposite of JJ .

http://www.rolltide.com/sports/m-foo...090313aab.html
Murphy is about the same size as JJ Watt and bigger than Ninja.
Old 10-27-2013   #5
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 45091 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
Murphy is about the same size as JJ Watt and bigger than Ninja.
he's not close to JJ 6-6- 292 & still smaller than Ninja when he came out 6-4 274.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013   #6
Texian
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
he's not close to JJ 6-6- 292 & still smaller than Ninja when he came out 6-4 274.
Trent Murphy is 6055 and weighs 290 lbs. The 261 lbs that you often see listed in his bio is what Murph weighed when he arrived at Stanford. Last night announcers saying he was 290. Trent played in a 4 man front with his hand in the dirt the whole game. Come Feb I would bet that Trent Murphy will closer to 209 than 260. Physically he's a JJ Watt clone.
Old 10-27-2013   #7
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 45091 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Trent Murphy is 6055 and weighs 290 lbs. The 261 lbs that you often see listed in his bio is what Murph weighed when he arrived at Stanford. Last night announcers saying he was 290. Trent played in a 4 man front with his hand in the dirt the whole game. Come Feb I would bet that Trent Murphy will closer to 209 than 260. Physically he's a JJ Watt clone.
I trust ourlads scouting service who report Trent is 6050 261 as of this September. If in fact he has added 30lbs since then without losing a step, yeah that would qualify as Watt-Esq.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-27-2013   #8
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72184 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

At the end of the 2013 season Bob McNair fires Kubiak and Smith.

Hires Eric Decosta as GM who hires HC.

Mid Season Mock

Conventional Wisdom is a rookie QB needs 20 starts in the NFL before you truly know what you have. 2014 gives Texans and Keenum his 20 starts. Schaub is released for cap reasons. McCarron is brought in as a backup and also a chance to be a starter. If all fails Texans go all in for a Franchise QB in 2015. At this time I do expect most underclassman QB to return to school. I expect only 1 or 2 to come out. If that happens 2015 will be a better year for QBs than 2014.

Texans have lost there pass rush, this is improved with Mosley and Murphy. Replaces Ninja who becomes a FA and cap casualty and upgrades OLB.
Give me Rd.1 Nix Rd.2 Skov, this improves the middle of the Texans defense and Nix will require double teams. That will help take pressure off of Watt.

BTW, the Texans have the 3rd worst defense in the NFL at stopping the run between the tackles.

Nix can become this yrs Loutelliuli. (SP?)

Love the rest of the mock and would trade up to pick James. Not familiar with Williams.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013   #9
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
I trust ourlads scouting service who report Trent is 6050 261 as of this September. If in fact he has added 30lbs since then without losing a step, yeah that would qualify as Watt-Esq.
Even at 261, I wouldn't be opposed to grabbing him.

Here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfKf8QsA6-E&noredirect=1

He looks like an OLB. If we were to go with Texian's draft & select an OLB with our first two picks... I wouldn't have an issue with that.

McCarren in the third..... I like it.

But with Earl Mitchell & Antonio as free agents, I'd like to spend a few picks on some big bodies. We need some help on the OL, not saying we don't. But we've got Brennan who should have took the whole year off anyway, & Quiz & I'd look for some young FAs out there that can get us by for another year.
Old 10-27-2013   #10
Fred
All Pro

Rep Power: 28283 Fred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Mid Season Mock

Quote:
I have to revise my mid season mock. Last night Trent Murphy had a JJ Watt kind of game. Not only will Murphy be a 1st rd pick he could also now become a top 10 pick. For the time being I will switch Murphy and Mosley.

Rd 1. Trent Murphy, DE, Stanford, 6055, 261 (replaces Ninja)
Rd 2. C. J. Mosley, OLB, Alabama, 6021, 232 (up grades OLB, Reed moves to ILB)
This is why all these one team mocks are useless. You need to revise because your original 2nd rounder will now need to be nabbed in the early 1st round. That is fine.

But then, to replace him in the 2nd round a player you "expect" to be available is ... the same guy you used a top 12 pick on less than a week before! Either Mosley won't be available in the 2nd round, or the idea of picking him in the first round was a colossal reach!

Show all 32 teams and why you think Mosley is the best value available at ~ pick 10 yet will still be available at ~ pick 42. If you can't show who you think goes in between picks 10 and 42 then you are just throwing out a magical wish list of 7 players, heck, even I can do that.
Old 10-27-2013   #11
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 65775 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
This is why all these one team mocks are useless. You need to revise because your original 2nd rounder will now need to be nabbed in the early 1st round. That is fine.

But then, to replace him in the 2nd round a player you "expect" to be available is ... the same guy you used a top 12 pick on less than a week before! Either Mosley won't be available in the 2nd round, or the idea of picking him in the first round was a colossal reach!

Show all 32 teams and why you think Mosley is the best value available at ~ pick 10 yet will still be available at ~ pick 42. If you can't show who you think goes in between picks 10 and 42 then you are just throwing out a magical wish list of 7 players, heck, even I can do that.
We see that it bothers you.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013   #12
Texian
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
We see that it bothers you.
I kind of agree with Fred it was a lackadaisical and poor effort on my part. Watching the Standford game I kind of got carried away. I'll do better next time, promise.
Old 10-27-2013   #13
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 65775 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I kind of agree with Fred it was a lackadaisical and poor effort on my part. Watching the Standford game I kind of got carried away. I'll do better next time, promise.
Meh, it's all projection at this point. Things change rapidly as well. Nothing is a poor effort, to be honest. Players drop and skyrocket even on draft day.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013   #14
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
Meh, it's all projection at this point. Things change rapidly as well. Nothing is a poor effort, to be honest. Players drop and skyrocket even on draft day.
Agreed. I'm too lazy to do my own, so...
Old 10-28-2013   #15
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27592 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

I actually like your original mock........ My only question mark is whether Mosley is a fit in a 3-4 defense.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013   #16
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 123706 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post

Some good points on Mosely dropping to second round which imo was OP wanting to keep him so I can let it slide. BTW, where is you mock effort?
Old 11-01-2013   #17
Texian
Hall of Fame

Quote:
After such a poor effort that was done without much thought and mailed in, here is my revised mock that was done with much more effort and thought:

Assuming the Texans pick in the Top 10:

Rd 1. Johnny Manziel, QB, 6001, 211, Texas A&M
Rd 2. Austin Sefarin-Jenkins, TE, 6055, 276, Washington
Rd 3. Jeremy Attaochu, OLB, 6026, 242, Georgia Tech
Rd 4. Marcus Williams, CB, 5110, 197, N Dakota State
Rd 5. Bruce Gaston, NT, 6021, 310, Purdue
Rd 6. Storm Johnson, RB, 6001, 215, Central Florida
Rd 7. Trey Hopkins, OG, 6034, 300, Texas
Old 11-01-2013   #18
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 144668 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
After such a poor effort that was done without much thought and mailed in, here is my revised mock that was done with much more effort and thought:

There's never poor efforts . What is true is there's about 10 folks going to Baskin & Robbins and ordering the ice cream of their choice . Dang ... ice cream sounds good .
Old 11-01-2013   #19
NCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57665 NCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If Erik Ebron, UNC is there at this pick, do you take him instead?

Just out of curiosity. I think Ebron is gone by this point though.
NCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013   #20
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 123706 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Interested in why no OT. Do you think Newton gets better, Williams returns or are you moving Q to RT? If the latter, I don't see Hopkins starting. Please expound.

Also, manziel has been beaten up bad this season, do you think he will survive NFL or do you see him playing different style than 1-2-3 run?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read