Hall of Fame
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Pearland, Texas
Rep Power: 18476
Wolf6151 Houston Texans 2014 Mock #1
This is my first 2014 mock draft and based on our current standing of pick #5. I'm also hoping the Texans re-sign Antonio Smith at a discount that lowers his cap hit for 2 yrs..
1. Anthony Barr-OLB, great speed and pass rush and fills arguably our biggest need. We move Brooks Reed to ILB next to Cushing and our 2014 LB corp. consists of Mercilus, Cushing, Reed, Barr. That sound like a very good starting LB corp.
2. Aaron Murray-QB, Keenum played very well last weekend comparitavely to Schaub, but it's only 1 game and he made alot of mistakes as well. With time Keenum will learn and MIGHT be our QB of the future. Murray adds depth and competition. I like how Murray holds the ball high, quick release, arm strength, athletic ability, mobility, plays in the toughest conference (SEC), lots of game experience.
3. JaWaun James-OT, 3yrs. of SEC game experience starting at RT. Great run blocking ability and good pass blocking ability. Fills another huge need and I think he could start day 1. I think Quessenberry will be the starter at LG and I doubt seriously that Brennan Williams ever becomes a starter for us.
4. Tre Boston-FS, I like his size for the position as well as his history of playing CB so he should be good in pass coverage. I think Ed Reed is a 1 and done player, Manning might not be back (hopefully he is) but we need depth at Safety badly.
5. Max Bullough-ILB, great size for the position and college productivity. Provides much needed LB. corp. depth filling a huge need.
6. Andrew Norwell-OT/OG, currently playing LG but has also played LT and was depth at RT. I like his versatility and he provides much needed interior O-line depth.
7. J.C. Copeland-FB, this guy is a tank. Younger and cheaper than Greg Jones.
I think Barr, Murray, and James can be starters right away, Boston, Bullough, and Norwell provide quality depth and situational rotational players, and Copeland becomes the next Vonta Leach while saving us a little money. I'd really like a CB in this draft as well as a DE but we've got more needs than picks and I think we've got the depth at both positions to pass on these positions for 1 yr. though I sure would like some upgrades to the depth. Hopefully we can trade down in the 1st and pick up an extra 2nd and 3rd round picks. Scooter made a very good point a few days ago on another thread, the LB corp is the heart of a 3-4 defense, and the O-line is the heart of any offense and we need to solidify both. This mock provides 2 O-linemen, and 2 LB's for each of those corps. along with a QB that will compete for the starting position, a Safety that will see the field alot in nickle and dime package, some quality depth at ILB and a starter level FB.
Last edited by Wolf6151; 10-27-2013 at 05:08 AM.
|Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)|