Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read


Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2013   #221
Texanmike02
Site Contributor
 
Texanmike02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Age: 36
Posts: 7,939
Rep Power: 69969 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Rick Smith's poor job of managing the cap has closed our window for the time bein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
Yep, it was just a matter of time and that's when it began to rear it's ugly head. Actually the crack in the damn started around the middle of November. Those .500 and > teams have a way of doing that to the Texans most of the time.
Riiiiiiggghhhtttt. Bad cap management started affecting us in December. So do bad draft picks start hurting teams in the Superbowl?

I've wasted too much time in this thread. You have a twisted reason for every statement you make and your analytical skills are severely lacking.

It is OK for a very talented team to be up against the cap. This is a very talented team. Your favorite team, Indy apparently, is under the cap because they are a young team with onegreat player and several above aaverage players that are all very young.

And in case you have forgotten, your favorite team had the best qb of all time for over a decade and only has one ring to show for it. Think about that for a minute. You think in 3 years that Luck's contract isn'tgoing to put indy in a world of hurt? Their owner was just lamenting the fact that they only won one ring with Manning. The colts are a 3 or 4 win team without Luck. The Texans will win more games than that with a QB that is half as good as luck and then they will have the chance to draft a franchise QB.

Other than luck which players do the colts have that you would take over the Texans hands down? If that list is more than three or four players we know the problem, it is your knowledge.

Mike
__________________

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013   #222
Yaky
Rookie
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 61
Rep Power: 1001 Yaky is a quality contributor and well respectedYaky is a quality contributor and well respectedYaky is a quality contributor and well respectedYaky is a quality contributor and well respectedYaky is a quality contributor and well respectedYaky is a quality contributor and well respectedYaky is a quality contributor and well respectedYaky is a quality contributor and well respectedYaky is a quality contributor and well respectedYaky is a quality contributor and well respectedYaky is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Rick Smith's poor job of managing the cap has closed our window for the time bein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
The primary reason why Winston was released when he was is because he offered the Texans the most Salary Cap space which the Texans were in desperate need of. Winston gave up 6 sacks during the year without any help but nobody did a better job run blocking and opening up more holes for Foster than Winston. Winston's departure was the beginning of Foster's decline. Since Winston's departure to this day the Texans can not run to the right or in the Red Zone.
+1
The Texans were a top running team with Brisiel and Winston. Now they cant run to the right, cant run in the Red Zone, and the RBs get injured.

It all starts in the trenches. The OLine was a strength, now its a major weakness.
Yaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013   #223
Texanmike02
Site Contributor
 
Texanmike02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Age: 36
Posts: 7,939
Rep Power: 69969 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Rick Smith's poor job of managing the cap has closed our window for the time bein

This team is begging for a coaching change. The sooner the better.


It isn't a cap issue, it is a coaching issue.

Mike
__________________

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013   #224
Texian
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 3,351
Rep Power: 48657 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Rick Smith's poor job of managing the cap has closed our window for the time bein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanmike02 View Post
This team is begging for a coaching change. The sooner the better.


It isn't a cap issue, it is a coaching issue.

Mike
I have been saying that since 2010. Pleaded with McNair to hire Harbaugh. This coach is also responsible for managing the salary cap. You can't have it both ways.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013   #225
Texian
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 3,351
Rep Power: 48657 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Rick Smith's poor job of managing the cap has closed our window for the time bein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaky View Post
+1
The Texans were a top running team with Brisiel and Winston. Now they cant run to the right, cant run in the Red Zone, and the RBs get injured.

It all starts in the trenches. The OLine was a strength, now its a major weakness.
yes sir, this is not uncommon and usually happens not long after Alex Gibbs leaves. IMHO I think it is a result of a lack of attention to detail that Gibbs is so meticulous about. When Winston, Brisel, Dreessen and Leach left it was like they broke up the Alex Gibbs band.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013   #226
thunderkyss 
& so it begins
 
thunderkyss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Texas
Age: 42
Posts: 33,339
Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: Rick Smith's poor job of managing the cap has closed our window for the time bein

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFight View Post
I wish Smithiak had a TENTH of that type of urgency. It is no wonder that the Rockets are poised to contend for championships for years.
Right now, there's no difference.

I thought we were title contenders in 2011..... Schaub got hurt, didn't happen. I think we'd have beat the Ravens with Schaub & those Patriots weren't very good & I think we'd have beat them as well. Matt was playing well... very well in 2011. There is that clutch question that has never been proven beyond a shadow of doubt..... but y'know.

2012, I thought we were a contender...... for 9 weeks or so anyway. The bottom fell out of that thing & it wasn't just Schaub. The run game never got right & the defense fell off a cliff.

2013 as far as I'm concerned, we've got the talent to be a contender. The Texans need to stop shooting themselves in the foot & take care of business.

But you can't argue that the Texans haven't been "poised" to do something. It just never actually happened.

Rockets..... pretty much the same thing. A lot of potential right now... very little proof.
__________________
thunderkyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013   #227
thunderkyss 
& so it begins
 
thunderkyss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Texas
Age: 42
Posts: 33,339
Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: Rick Smith's poor job of managing the cap has closed our window for the time bein

Quote:
Ratliff received $18 million guaranteed under his 2011 contract. His departure will trigger a $6.98 million cap charge in 2014, at a time when the Cowboys reportedly will be $31 million above the salary cap.
There's a difference between poor choices & woefully mismanaging your cap. & they have even less than we do to show for it.
__________________
thunderkyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013   #228
Texian
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 3,351
Rep Power: 48657 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Rick Smith's poor job of managing the cap has closed our window for the time bein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanmike02 View Post
Riiiiiiggghhhtttt. Bad cap management started affecting us in December. So do bad draft picks start hurting teams in the Superbowl?

I've wasted too much time in this thread. You have a twisted reason for every statement you make and your analytical skills are severely lacking.

It is OK for a very talented team to be up against the cap. This is a very talented team. Your favorite team, Indy apparently, is under the cap because they are a young team with onegreat player and several above aaverage players that are all very young.

And in case you have forgotten, your favorite team had the best qb of all time for over a decade and only has one ring to show for it. Think about that for a minute. You think in 3 years that Luck's contract isn'tgoing to put indy in a world of hurt? Their owner was just lamenting the fact that they only won one ring with Manning. The colts are a 3 or 4 win team without Luck. The Texans will win more games than that with a QB that is half as good as luck and then they will have the chance to draft a franchise QB.

Other than luck which players do the colts have that you would take over the Texans hands down? If that list is more than three or four players we know the problem, it is your knowledge.

Mike
Do you always insult those who don't agree with you? Let's turn the tables, first Indy is not my favorite team. I do respect what they have done, how they have handled the Manning situation and the decisions seem to have worked out well whether you agree with what Irsay has done or not.

No doubt about it Luck will be signing one of the largest QB contracts ever when it's his turn. That doesn't stop SMART front offices from signing good players. Baltimore signed Flacco to a $100 million contract this year. Also this year the Ravens were able to sign THREE FREE AGENT (3) Pro Bowl players. Signing 3 pro bowl players is something the Texans could not do even if they wanted to because they didn't have the money to do it. According to your logic this makes the Texans better.

Come March every year for the last four years, day 1 of the beginning new league year the Texans have NOT had enough money to meet the basic minimum financial obligations. Each year every year they have had to borrow money from future years to meet those obligations. According to your logic the Texans are doing a fine job of managing the salary cap.

The Texans strategy and logic for the last 3 years has not been based on who is best player we can get to fill an empty or needed position but who is the best player they can get at the league minimum to fill a needed position. That is a big difference. That is the difference in a good player and a below average player. The Texans strategy and logic consist of finding cheap puzzle pieces to sign and draft that fit their puzzle. The priority for player acquisitions are based on [b]limited dollar signing ability and not what is the best available talent they can sign. And According to your logic the Texans have no salary cap problems and even though can't sign any good FA players the last 3 years. According to your logic Band Aid Management makes the Texans better. The scoreboard says something completely different.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013   #229
infantrycak
Lead Moderator
 
infantrycak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Age: 46
Posts: 44,541
Rep Power: 272958 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Rick Smith's poor job of managing the cap has closed our window for the time bein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
No doubt about it Luck will be signing one of the largest QB contracts ever when it's his turn. That doesn't stop SMART front offices from signing good players. Baltimore signed Flacco to a $100 million contract this year. Also this year the Ravens were able to sign THREE FREE AGENT (3) Pro Bowl players. Signing 3 pro bowl players is something the Texans could not do even if they wanted to because they didn't have the money to do it. According to your logic this makes the Texans better.
Signing other players in the early years of giant deals isn't the problem. It is the back end years. The Ravens just kicked the can down the road and Flacco's contract isn't viable in 2016.

What pro-bowlers other than Dumervil? Are you talking about Dallas Clark on his vet min deal?
__________________
The Art of War
infantrycak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013   #230
Texanmike02
Site Contributor
 
Texanmike02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Age: 36
Posts: 7,939
Rep Power: 69969 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Rick Smith's poor job of managing the cap has closed our window for the time bein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
Do you always insult those who don't agree with you? Let's turn the tables, first Indy is not my favorite team. I do respect what they have done, how they have handled the Manning situation and the decisions seem to have worked out well whether you agree with what Irsay has done or not.

No doubt about it Luck will be signing one of the largest QB contracts ever when it's his turn. That doesn't stop SMART front offices from signing good players. Baltimore signed Flacco to a $100 million contract this year. Also this year the Ravens were able to sign THREE FREE AGENT (3) Pro Bowl players. Signing 3 pro bowl players is something the Texans could not do even if they wanted to because they didn't have the money to do it. According to your logic this makes the Texans better.

Come March every year for the last four years, day 1 of the beginning new league year the Texans have NOT had enough money to meet the basic minimum financial obligations. Each year every year they have had to borrow money from future years to meet those obligations. According to your logic the Texans are doing a fine job of managing the salary cap.

The Texans strategy and logic for the last 3 years has not been based on who is best player we can get to fill an empty or needed position but who is the best player they can get at the league minimum to fill a needed position. That is a big difference. That is the difference in a good player and a below average player. The Texans strategy and logic consist of finding cheap puzzle pieces to sign and draft that fit their puzzle. The priority for player acquisitions are based on [b]limited dollar signing ability and not what is the best available talent they can sign. And According to your logic the Texans have no salary cap problems and even though can't sign any good FA players the last 3 years. According to your logic Band Aid Management makes the Texans better. The scoreboard says something completely different.
First of all no I don't insult people I disagree with. I tend to insult those that have an air of superiority about them, especially when I think they are full of crap. I've read too many pages of you claiming clairvoyance and seen little evidence of anything other than you are unhappy. The colts handled the Manning situation well but they have had a history of bad drafts, bad cap management and dissapointment that you wouldn't believe. They in a league in which having a great QB gives you a distinct advantage they won one Superbowl in a decade with the greatest qb of all time.

The colts have done nothing special. In fact they are lucky in that they have to pay a star qb peanuts compared to what he is worth. Look at the patriots. Up against the cap every year. The colts will get a few years of cap relief until lucks contract comes due so let's see what happens then.

Take a look at the Giants, Steelers, Pats.


And BTW, the ravens are morons for that signing. Flacco is an above average streaky QB that got hot. They wwon't win another SB while he's there.


P.S. We have a coaching problem, not a cap/talent problem. And please don't tell me that the cap is the coaches responsibility. That's the stupidest system iI've ever heard. The coaches job is to maximize the talent on the field. If he has the purse strings then his concern is winning today. The GMs responsibility is to provide talent now and not screw the tEAM 5 years from now.


Mike
__________________

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013   #231
Texian
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 3,351
Rep Power: 48657 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Rick Smith's poor job of managing the cap has closed our window for the time bein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanmike02 View Post
P.S. We have a coaching problem, not a cap/talent problem. And please don't tell me that the cap is the coaches responsibility. That's the stupidest system iI've ever heard. The coaches job is to maximize the talent on the field. If he has the purse strings then his concern is winning today. The GMs responsibility is to provide talent now and not screw the tEAM 5 years from now.

Mike
That is exactly what I am telling you because that is the TRUTH whether you think it's crap, clairvoyant or someone's superiority. The Ravens are morons is you idea of evidence and not an insult? Make no mistake, Gary Kubiak has complete and final say on the 53 man roster. It is in his contract. All personnel transactions are only done after they have Kubiak's approval.

Rick Smith is a GM in name only. Rick Smith is a GM to Gary Kubiak in the same way that Scott Pioli was a GM to Bill Belichick. In Bob McNair's own words in 2006 he said he was using the Patriot's Model to build his team. Made sense after the Patriots had won 3 out of the last 5 Super Bowls. The only problem with that thinking is Kubiak is not Belichick, Smith is not Pioli and Houston is not New England.

That stupidest system you've ever heard of is the exact system they've in New England and the same system Denver used with Shanahan as the Head Coach and GM. That same system in Denver under Mike Shanahan that Kubiak and Smith trained under.

The fact that the Texans can't afford to pay all their bills for four years in a row is in fact a cap problem not a crap problem. That's also evidence you that you conveniently like to ignore. Kubiak does try to put the best talent on the field that money can buy. Unfortunately the Texans haven't had any money to spend.IT HAS FINALLY CAUGHT UP WITH THEM The team 5 years from now isn't even part of the discussion or on the Texans radar. This has become all to familiar with the pattern of behavior and operations model of the Kubiak era. BTW The scoreboard still disagrees with you.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013   #232
Wolf
100% Texan
 
Wolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Kerrville
Age: 44
Posts: 37,044
Rep Power: 88913 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Rick Smith's poor job of managing the cap has closed our window for the time bein

When you build a team at a snails pace. Kinda tough to maintain this salary cap when you inconsistently draft good players
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013   #233
thunderkyss 
& so it begins
 
thunderkyss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Texas
Age: 42
Posts: 33,339
Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: Rick Smith's poor job of managing the cap has closed our window for the time bein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
Also this year the Ravens were able to sign THREE FREE AGENT (3) Pro Bowl players. Signing 3 pro bowl players is something the Texans could not do even if they wanted to because they didn't have the money to do it. According to your logic this makes the Texans better.
Except it's something they do all the time.

Schaub... 2 time pro bowler
Cushing... Pro Bowler
Antonio... Pro Bowler
Wade... . Pro Bowler
Duane.... Pro Bowler
Andre.... Multiple pro bowls
Arian...... Pro Bowl
Joseph... Pro Bowl
OD.......... Pro Bowl

I'm sorry, you said 3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
Come March every year for the last four years, day 1 of the beginning new league year the Texans have NOT had enough money to meet the basic minimum financial obligations.

The Texans strategy and logic for the last 3 years...
I have no doubt improvements can be made in how we managed the cap. I don't think Winston was ever a $5M/yr player & we let him go because we finally got to a point we couldn't afford to pay him any more. $3M/yr would have been much more bearable.

At the same time, I don't think it's as big an issue as you think. There will be a time when Brady's contract will be renegotiated, the Broncos will borrow money to pay for Peyton, The Ravens will for Flacco.... if it makes sense & it will.

That's the way it is. As mentioned earlier, as long as we aren't $31M over the cap before the league year even starts, we're not talking about "gross mismanagement"
__________________
thunderkyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013   #234
Texanmike02
Site Contributor
 
Texanmike02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Age: 36
Posts: 7,939
Rep Power: 69969 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Rick Smith's poor job of managing the cap has closed our window for the time bein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
That is exactly what I am telling you because that is the TRUTH whether you think it's crap, clairvoyant or someone's superiority. The Ravens are morons is you idea of evidence and not an insult? Make no mistake, Gary Kubiak has complete and final say on the 53 man roster. It is in his contract. All personnel transactions are only done after they have Kubiak's approval.

Rick Smith is a GM in name only. Rick Smith is a GM to Gary Kubiak in the same way that Scott Pioli was a GM to Bill Belichick. In Bob McNair's own words in 2006 he said he was using the Patriot's Model to build his team. Made sense after the Patriots had won 3 out of the last 5 Super Bowls. The only problem with that thinking is Kubiak is not Belichick, Smith is not Pioli and Houston is not New England.

That stupidest system you've ever heard of is the exact system they've in New England and the same system Denver used with Shanahan as the Head Coach and GM. That same system in Denver under Mike Shanahan that Kubiak and Smith trained under.

The fact that the Texans can't afford to pay all their bills for four years in a row is in fact a cap problem not a crap problem. That's also evidence you that you conveniently like to ignore. Kubiak does try to put the best talent on the field that money can buy. Unfortunately the Texans haven't had any money to spend.IT HAS FINALLY CAUGHT UP WITH THEM The team 5 years from now isn't even part of the discussion or on the Texans radar. This has become all to familiar with the pattern of behavior and operations model of the Kubiak era. BTW The scoreboard still disagrees with you.
Belichick does not manage the salary cap. But you know it all so you believe what you want.

Mike
__________________

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013   #235
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame
 
dalemurphy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Austin
Section: Bullpen/ 636
Age: 40
Posts: 5,703
Rep Power: 47328 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Rick Smith's poor job of managing the cap has closed our window for the time bein

Who drafts consistently? I think you would be hard-pressed to find a better collection of drafted talent by any NFL team than the Texans from 2008 onward.

You are simply much more familiar with the Texan misses in the draft than other teams' misses. New England has made big "mistakes" in rounds 2 and 3 the past few years- even in round one... as have almost all the NFL teams. Nobody was questioning the talent level of the Texans in August/September. Poor execution and play certainly have the effect of making the team appear less talented, just as winning week after week has the opposite effect.

Consider the Texans' 1st round picks from 2008 onward:
2008 26th pick: Duane Brown (elite LT. Texans were heavily criticized for selecting him)
2009 15th? pick: Brian Cushing (had a reputation for "not loving football"- ironic)
2010 27th? pick: Kareem Jackson (Smith was hammered for this pick- Once David Gibbs was sent packing, KJ has proven to be an excellent draft pick)
2011 9th pick: JJ Watt (best defensive player drafted in the NFL in a long time!)
2012 28th? pick: W. Mercilus (too early to say for sure- made plays in limited time last year and has looked very good most of this year, IMO)
2013 28th pick: Deandre Hopkins (Great pick! I don't think I'm being overly optimistic to think he will be one of the better NFL WRs within two years)

Even if you don't factor in how late in the round those picks were made, that is one heck of a track record.

Looking back into the middle/late rounds:
Ben Tate (good pick, despite injury issues)
Glover Quin (very solid player. I miss him.)
Garrett Graham (looks like a solid replacement for OD next year)
Brandon Brooks (I know the line looks bad.. but this guy is pretty good and could become great)
Earl Mitchell (solid and ascending player)
D. Posey (very little proof of this so far, but I'm thinking he's gonna be good!)
J. Crick (ascending, at least a very solid rotational defensive lineman)
A. Foster as a UDFA
Keenum as an UDFA


**For many of the mid/late round picks the past couple years, it is just too early to know (but there is some reason for optimism):

Quessenberry
K. Martin
B. Jones
R. Griffin
Randy Bullock (rough start- but showing a great leg and has settled down)
Sharpton (injury-riddled and frustrating but hard to complain about the pick)
Trindon Holliday (pick- example of bad coaching)
Shelley Smith (good lineman- another mistake by coaches to cut- starter and/or 1st lineman off the bench for Rams.
Brice McCain (good pick- frustrating to see him put in so many situations where he's overmatched- but 6th round nickel CB who had a couple good years and is competent, at least)

Ho-Hum
Brooks Reed- useful player, not a miss but not a hit consider he was top 50
Shiloh Keo- not my guy, that's for sure, but not bad for a 5th.
James Casey- some good moments, somewhat misused at the end
Connor Barwin- inconsistent playmaker. great year in 2011, though

Clear Misses
Sam Montgomery
Brennan Williams (he could still work out- but a 3rd round rookie getting micro-fracture surgery, probably because of an existing condition, is the worst kind of draft mistake)
Rashad Carmichael
Brandon Harris (perhaps the pick only looks bad because the coaches don't play him, but a 2nd rounder with 3 years experience needs to be a consistent contributor)
Frank Okam (hated the pick. hated seeing him make the team for three years even more)
Anthony Hill (umm... yeah. not good)


This is the draft record of an organization with a very competent personnel department. We can argue whether they are among the best or not. However, any honest comparison between the Rick Smith drafts and the rest of the NFL will show him to be easily in the top 3rd of the league.

I also have not seen him make many mistakes acquiring free agents. I would say that all of his significant signings have worked out well, with the likely exception of the Ed Reed mess.

Antonio Smith
J. Joseph
Danieal Manning
Wade Smith (not pretty to watch now. But, he has been very productive for the Texans during their two playoff seasons- not bad at all for the price)

Also, Rick Smith has shown himself to be very good at determining when to move on from key players- instead of overpaying them and causing real cap issues:

Demeco Ryans (given a big contract- nasty injury- then unloaded for significant compensation)
Mario Williams ($100 million contract! thank God he was cut loose. )
Eric Winston (can't find work in the NFL now- I realize our memory of his play at RT is better than what we are watching now- but, that doesn't mean his play now would be better... nor does it change the fact that he wasn't worth that contract.
Connor Barwin (I loved the guy despite his play in 2012- looks like a good decision to me, now)
James Casey (another guy I liked- given a huge contract- Phillie is getting little from him.
Kevin Walter (like him- glad he's gone though- his lack of speed was hurting the offense the past two years- since Andre's athleticism began to decline.
Dunta Robinson (how did that work out for Atlanta?)

So, I think Rick Smith's performance has been good... though not perfect, certainly. I also believe he is an ascending GM. I would trust him to operate this team for the next 10 years, regardless of what happens with Kubiak.
__________________
obsessive, passionate coverage of our beloved Texans at : Texans Bull Blog
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013   #236
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame
 
dalemurphy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Austin
Section: Bullpen/ 636
Age: 40
Posts: 5,703
Rep Power: 47328 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Rick Smith's poor job of managing the cap has closed our window for the time bein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
That is exactly what I am telling you because that is the TRUTH whether you think it's crap, clairvoyant or someone's superiority. The Ravens are morons is you idea of evidence and not an insult? Make no mistake, Gary Kubiak has complete and final say on the 53 man roster. It is in his contract. All personnel transactions are only done after they have Kubiak's approval.

Rick Smith is a GM in name only. Rick Smith is a GM to Gary Kubiak in the same way that Scott Pioli was a GM to Bill Belichick. In Bob McNair's own words in 2006 he said he was using the Patriot's Model to build his team. Made sense after the Patriots had won 3 out of the last 5 Super Bowls. The only problem with that thinking is Kubiak is not Belichick, Smith is not Pioli and Houston is not New England.

That stupidest system you've ever heard of is the exact system they've in New England and the same system Denver used with Shanahan as the Head Coach and GM. That same system in Denver under Mike Shanahan that Kubiak and Smith trained under.
You are right about what McNair said in 2006. You are also right in this statement: "Kubiak is not Belicheck, Smith is not Pioli, and Houston is not New England."

All of that became clear to McNair by 2010... McNair believes in Kubiak's philosophy and his system but figured out that Kubiak does not have the cold discernment and special decision-making skills that are unique to some of the great NFL coaches: like Belicheck. That is why he arrested some of the control of the team from Kubiak and gave it to Rick Smith... It was Smith who wanted to go another direction at defensive coordinator after 2008, but Kubiak overruled him and promoted Frank Bush. After the 2010 nightmare, Kubiak was retained as head coach but lost a lot of that GM power... Rick Smith was given it and was the one that wanted Wade Phillips.

I can not prove all of it, but it is clearly that the organization has been running much differently since the 2010 season. There was a "C" change, so to speak. Many of the big decisions regarding core players were made with much more calculation and less "loyalty" than was previously the case. Examples I would cite would be the Demeco Ryans trade, the clear decision to let Mario walk without giving him a real offer, the Winston cut, the Alex Gibb exit, Kevin Walter release, not re-signing Dreessen, etc... Those are things that don't happen, I don't think, if Kubiak is running the show.

To the second part of your statement, "Rick Smith is not Pioli"... that is very true. Pioli was a bit of a disaster once Belicheck wasn't pulling the strings anymore... Rick Smith is a vastly better GM. Pioli was part of a perfect storm- a group of football men that came together at the right moment, in the right situation, and did one heck of a job! And, don't get me wrong, Pioli did a great job! My point is that his ability to succeed at that job is limited to the unique situation he was in. I'm confident you will never see him take over an organization and build it into a success... You saw what happened in KC. He kept trying to patchwork that organization with whatever guys he could get from his time in N.E.- and he had no answers... Anyone that hires Romeo Crennel to be the head coach is clearly at a loss.
__________________
obsessive, passionate coverage of our beloved Texans at : Texans Bull Blog
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013   #237
Texian
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 3,351
Rep Power: 48657 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Rick Smith's poor job of managing the cap has closed our window for the time bein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanmike02 View Post
Belichick does not manage the salary cap. But you know it all so you believe what you want.

Mike
According to Bob Kraft, Bill Belichick does manage the salary cap and I believe it so because Bob Kraft has said it's so;

"I think he'll go down as the greatest coach in the history of the NFL, because he's really competing in the era of the salary cap. I think a lot of great coaches had difficulty understanding how to balance the economics of the game and the budget. His product knowledge is so great," said Kraft, who first came to appreciate Belichick's ability to mix football X's and O's and economics in 1996, when Belichick was an assistant on Bill Parcells' New England staff."

http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story/...mpionship-game

It wasn’t one thing; it was everything. The NFL world was changing, and new skills were needed for a coach to succeed.

“Bill Parcells was not transitioning well into the salary-cap era,’’ Kraft maintains.

He felt that Wesleyan economics major Belichick would not have that problem.

Previously, I think I maybe tried to do too many little things,’’ Belichick said, “too many things that maybe took away from bigger picture things I should have been doing.’’

He also said, “There are a lot of things on the periphery and outside, off the field, that are also important toward winning, and I’ll put more time and effort into making sure those things are right for the organization than maybe I did previously.’’

“Bill’s a smart guy,’’ Kraft says. “He knows how to adapt and do what he has to do.’’


http://www.boston.com/sports/footbal...illing/?page=2

I admit that I don't know it all, nor do I believe that I am all that smart, I may however, be better informed.

Last edited by Texian; 10-26-2013 at 06:00 PM.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013   #238
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: The Inner Loop
Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Posts: 2,845
Rep Power: 21983 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Rick Smith's poor job of managing the cap has closed our window for the time bein

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
You are right about what McNair said in 2006. You are also right in this statement: "Kubiak is not Belicheck, Smith is not Pioli, and Houston is not New England."

All of that became clear to McNair by 2010... McNair believes in Kubiak's philosophy and his system but figured out that Kubiak does not have the cold discernment and special decision-making skills that are unique to some of the great NFL coaches: like Belicheck. That is why he arrested some of the control of the team from Kubiak and gave it to Rick Smith... It was Smith who wanted to go another direction at defensive coordinator after 2008, but Kubiak overruled him and promoted Frank Bush. After the 2010 nightmare, Kubiak was retained as head coach but lost a lot of that GM power... Rick Smith was given it and was the one that wanted Wade Phillips.

I can not prove all of it, but it is clearly that the organization has been running much differently since the 2010 season. There was a "C" change, so to speak. Many of the big decisions regarding core players were made with much more calculation and less "loyalty" than was previously the case. Examples I would cite would be the Demeco Ryans trade, the clear decision to let Mario walk without giving him a real offer, the Winston cut, the Alex Gibb exit, Kevin Walter release, not re-signing Dreessen, etc... Those are things that don't happen, I don't think, if Kubiak is running the show.

To the second part of your statement, "Rick Smith is not Pioli"... that is very true. Pioli was a bit of a disaster once Belicheck wasn't pulling the strings anymore... Rick Smith is a vastly better GM. Pioli was part of a perfect storm- a group of football men that came together at the right moment, in the right situation, and did one heck of a job! And, don't get me wrong, Pioli did a great job! My point is that his ability to succeed at that job is limited to the unique situation he was in. I'm confident you will never see him take over an organization and build it into a success... You saw what happened in KC. He kept trying to patchwork that organization with whatever guys he could get from his time in N.E.- and he had no answers... Anyone that hires Romeo Crennel to be the head coach is clearly at a loss.
Very true. Even I said, after 2010, "Man, the Texans suddenly seem ruthless and cold."

The only exception has been our Special Teams coach. Other than that, the Texans, since 2010, has been run like a mob organization. Unfortunately, however, we haven't been coached like a mob organization, which is why we find ourselves in our current situation...
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013   #239
thunderkyss 
& so it begins
 
thunderkyss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Texas
Age: 42
Posts: 33,339
Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: Rick Smith's poor job of managing the cap has closed our window for the time bein

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
Eric Winston (can't find work in the NFL now- I realize our memory of his play at RT is better than what we are watching now- but, that doesn't mean his play now would be better... nor does it change the fact that he wasn't worth that contract.
He's currently getting his butt handed to him starting on the Cardinals OL.
__________________
thunderkyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013   #240
Texian
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 3,351
Rep Power: 48657 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Rick Smith's poor job of managing the cap has closed our window for the time bein

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
The Ravens just kicked the can down the road and Flacco's contract isn't viable in 2016.
So over the next 3 years the Ravens will pay Joe Flacco the same as the Texans will pay Matt Schaub. In 2015 the salary cap will be increased by $20-$30 million because of the new 17/18 game schedule. And in 2016 Joe Flacco's contract kicks in, a year after the the major cap increase. Sounds like another case study of good salary cap management by the Ravens vs bad salary cap management by the Texans.

Last edited by Texian; 10-26-2013 at 06:06 PM.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger